• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
those timed Secret Encounters are annoying because there's no way of knowing how many or where all the enemies are located...a few times I cleared the immediate area and still failed because there were other enemies a little further away that I couldn't see and I ran out of time

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. That's a shame. Really annoying enemy. There's so much I love about this game too, but that just is no fun.
They're not that hard to deal with if you keep them within a certain range and quickswap between your super shotgun/ballista after you get the counter hit in and stagger them as shown here:

It also works with the BFG if you really wanna get rid of them quickly
www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta say "mortally challenged" is not as funny as this game thinks it is.

That's the weird part, I'm not sure if the game even thinks it's funny. I don't find that it's intentionally played for laughs for the most part other than maybe the first time you hear it, it's just causally used in a matter of fact way.

What they do play for laughs that didn't really work for me is the comically over the top holograms that talk about hailing Satan and how being evil is so fucking awesome, which is simple to the mortally challenged thing. I'm paraphrasing, and while it's mildly amusing at first it's a little too goofy even for the more over the top tone. I get the intention is to satirize how corporate speak integrates even the most absurd or immoral things into their sales pitch but it doesn't really work.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
They're not that hard to deal with if you keep them within a certain range and quickswap between your super shotgun/ballista after you get the counter hit in and stagger them as shown here:

It also works with the BFG if you really wanna get rid of them quickly
www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

You can do more than that, there's time to swap after the balista and super shotgun again.

Also the mastered arbalist can double hit him.

Deleted member 32679

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Getting into the flow of combat is so damn satisfying. I love all the new abilities, i wonder how Doom 2016 will feel now with no dash.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
I'm pretty sure I just beat a battle and didn't get my token/win. the bars in the top right didn't change even though it's green in the mini map. I was able to leave without beating the very last mancubus since all I had to do was go up.. but it not counting kind of sucks if that's the case :(
edit: okay, nevermind. I guess that one never gave a point? my next fight gave me 3, even though it wasn't a slayer match. odd.

daedalius

Oct 27, 2017
By the last missions I was destroying Marauders easily. SSG quickswap to ballista quickswap back to SSG and you can do a real hurting on him in a single interrupt.

Also multiplayer is fucking nuts, I fucking love it! I was the slayer in every match, and archvile + marauder is a pretty mean combo, but I had a match vs 2 marauders and it was pretty fun.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Yeesh. I was in a really nice groove for the back half of Nightmare until I hit the next-to-last level, and then progress slowed to a crawl when every encounter was suddenly harder than a slayer gate. I flew through that one on UV.

Dr. Sanchez

Nov 15, 2017
I'm at the point of no return I think. At the moment, the archvile is the most dangerous demon for me, since it can get out of hand if I don't kill it right away. Marauders are not so bad anymore, super shotty and ballista destroy him very well.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
As someone about to jump in for the first time, what are sort of the need-to-knows/beginner tips for getting started? Usually I just like to jump in, but seems like a lot people have been put off because they went expecting something that game is not.
Make sure to use your flamethrower whenever you can, especially on Glory Kills. If your equipment isnt on cooldown, youre doing it wrong.

ArcLyte

Nov 1, 2017
Started on ps4, it was really good but something was off. Switched to PC with mouse and keyboard and holy guacamole that's the stuff

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
those timed Secret Encounters can be annoying because sometimes it's hard to tell where all the enemies are located...a few times I thought I completed one but ended up failing because there were other enemies in a different spot and the timer ran out

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
Finished the game on Nightmare, loved it. It was 10/10... right up until the end. I honestly don't know why they bother with boss fights. And the second to last level was kinda weak. In a bit of a sour mood because of it, plus learning that there's additional story DLC planned... I'll sleep on it and return to Master Levels tomorrow.

Devious

Oct 31, 2017
California
Finished the game on Nightmare, loved it. It was 10/10... right up until the end. I honestly don't know why they bother with boss fights. And the second to last level was kinda weak. In a bit of a sour mood because of it, plus learning that there's additional story DLC planned... I'll sleep on it and return to Master Levels tomorrow.
I just started the second to last level now - just gonna take a quick break. Your comment isn't making me feel any better lol.

Oct 29, 2017
It's a good game but I greatly prefer 2016. In many ways this is everything I was so happy 2016 wasn't. At least unlike wolfenstein new colossus this is still very good so I suppose it doesn't really matter

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
At the last level.

Doom 2016 was perfect.

This is OK, I'd probably give it a 8/10 if I was reviewing it. I'm really not desperate to finish off the last level. When I was playing Doom 2016 I couldn't stop playing and was sad that it ended.

Devious

Oct 31, 2017
California
Yeeeah nah. After giving it some thought; I think I'm done for the night. Already 1230 in the morning and my brain is fried from just trying to get through this. I'll finish up the rest of the game in the afternoon.

And to think I'm only playing this on HMP. Kudos to y'all who've been playing this on UV or Nightmare. Sheesh.

May 26, 2018
It's a good game but I greatly prefer 2016. In many ways this is everything I was so happy 2016 wasn't. At least unlike wolfenstein new colossus this is still very good so I suppose it doesn't really matter

This is pretty close to my thoughts, too. Still a pretty darn good game, but it has weird missteps that make it hard to enjoy like 2016.

Soundtrack is still aces, though. No problems there.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Why did they put in stuff like purple mud that makes you immobile? Stuff like that adds absolutely nothing but annoyance.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
Ok now that I have all my weapons and a bunch of upgrades, and I am comfortable with the combat flow... this may honestly be the best game ever made.

xmonkeyofevil

Jun 9, 2019
So I started a clean save on nightmare, and having gotten so used to the late game combat flow, it feels soooooo weird having only a double jump and chainsaw as your gameplay loop for a short while.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Why did they put in stuff like purple mud that makes you immobile? Stuff like that adds absolutely nothing but annoyance.

It's irritating but my tinfoil hat assumption is that it's designed to force the player to consider alternate means of approach like meat-hooking foes and keeping airborne with air dashes over just strafe shooting.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
Coming off of just finishing Red Dead 2, and jumping immediately into DOOM: Eternal is a pretty shocking experience lol. Going from one of the most mediocre AAA gameplay experiences to what is probably the absolute pinnacle. DOOM is just amazing, this dev team is wildly talented.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Coming off of just finishing Red Dead 2, and jumping immediately into DOOM: Eternal is a pretty shocking experience lol. Going from one of the most mediocre AAA gameplay experiences to what is probably the absolute pinnacle. DOOM is just amazing, this dev team is wildly talented.
Okay settle down lol. I'm sure Doom is more up your alley but to call it mediocre...

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Randomly tuned into Maximilion really quick at 4:30am to see him slaying the fuck out of Hell Monsters and using all his weapons and abilities and making it look like a blast. Turns out if you try to play it like 2016 you'll get fucked rightly in the booty, but if you treat it like its own NEW thing, you can adapt quite quickly. Can't wait to start it up.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Okay settle down lol. I'm sure Doom is more up your alley but to call it mediocre...
Maybe they are more fo a pure arcade thrill gameplay type, if so I could understand that. RDR2 is a fantastic experience, but not a fun traditional game imo.

Doom Eternal is kind of like the antithesis of it.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
At the Arc Complex and I'm close to calling the game straight up trash. There are some aspects I like, namely the dash and the weapons feeling a little punchier but the entire game just feels extremely over designed. Like they finished the game a couple of years early and decided to keep adding shit.

I have similar feelings. Doom 2016 was a love letter to the original D1 and 2. This is a love letter to, well, I don't know. Attention Deficit Disorder?
I abhor the gameplay that doesn't let you play the way you want at all. It really feels overdesigned.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Why is platforming in this fps better than in 90% of 3D platformers out there.
I absolutely love it, it's incredibly intuitive and snappy. And I love how they weave it into the battle arenas.

I'm a huge fan of arcade style mechanics, so things like the mid-air speed boost pick up are so much fun for me.

cjn83

Banned
Jul 25, 2018
My biggest gripe with it is the art direction. Why do I feel like I watch something off an M rated Cartoon Network? The original Doom games never were like this, they went out of their way to make the looks as realistic as was possible with the tech of the day. I think they were easier to take seriously as result, and felt more genuine.

That said I absolutely love the game. It's fun! Fantastic to see id bring back the old school shooter genre like this. Now hoping for a SERIOUS feeling Quake reboot for the PS5/XSEX.