• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
gotta say im really confused how SOMETIMES the game switches my gun when the current gun runs out of ammo, and other times it... just doesnt? making me think im out of ammo when I'm really not. Anyone have any idea why it does this only sometimes?

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to return to the Fortress of Doom at a time of your choosing during the campaign (before completing it) or are you at the mercy of the game choosing to bring you there?

Last edited:

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
the soundtrack is absolutely incredible. while I still love BFG Division I think overall the doom eternal music is much better.

I'm still waiting to hear a song as good or even on par with BFG Division.

The objective that makes you go into the training room with BFG Division...yep, that song is just perfect, and it's unfair to Mick Gordon to expect better, lol.

The main menu music is excellent tho.

OP
OP
AgentStrange

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
Has the
Slayer Key
for
Taras Nabad
not shown up for anyone else. I've restarted the mission twice and it's not where it's supposed to be.

Oct 27, 2017
England
It's crazy to think that last gen Id made rage, which I enjoyed well enough but was such a product of trends. "Let's mix fallout with borderlands and put in some decent shooting and car combat (!?)". It didn't feel genuine.

Granted I'm only 3 levels in but this just feels like a master work so far. The scope is massive. The sense of feedback from the melee/weaponry and the environmental interaction is incredibly tangible. The music. The controls!

I had my suspicions after 2016 but this is possibly going to cement the current Id team up their with my goat's capcom, platinum and from. It's super exciting to be honest 😁

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Has the
Slayer Key
for
Taras Nabad
not shown up for anyone else. I've restarted the mission twice and it's not where it's supposed to be.
I'm gonna give you the standard fare IT questions, just to cover the most common issues:
  1. Have you tried turning it off and on again?
  2. Do you have cheats enabled? These disable the Gate Keys

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
hmm.. I just bought it, played a few hours.. and I dont know. I was a huge fan of DOOM 2016, that game just sucked me in. but honestly, DOOM eternal comes across as a bit of a chore very early on. Its too much intensity, too much going on. the platforming just feels very odd and out of place, and I have a hard time really enjoying it. all the enemies with different tactics. it feels massively prechewed in terms of how you have to deal with combat. in 2016 I felt like there was room to find my own rhythm, here it forces you into a rhythm and if you don't play like that, you will have a bit of a clumsy sucky time. I will give it more hours offcourse but at this point, I vastly prefer 2016.

anyone else in the same boat?
I sadly am of a similar opinion. Combat in this game has been thus far overbearing and overwhelming, and I'm not really having fun.

Kafkaswaffle

Oct 27, 2017
I ran into a bug twice already where a demon gets into staggered state, ready for glory kill, but then becomes invincible. The second time it happened at the end of a mission with the last demon of a tough battle. Needless to say I was rather pissed.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Dodge in medium range to bait an attack (green eyes)
Then super shotgun him and super shotgun him. That's the key, you can hit him twice in a row. There's a "secret" fight that has a marauder on tight timing and I don't think you can do him without shooting him twice every time
is there anything you can do against the dog he summons?

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
let's add sticky floors that aggressively nerf movement speed, dashing, and jumping all at the same time in busy encounter arenas for a run-and-gun shooter that greatly emphasises mobility

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If y'all thought that cultist bass checkpoint was bad wait until you get to the UV master level one with TWO cyberdemons, pain elemtals, those shield assholes, the buff ass hell knights with the blades, and like half a dozen spiders and them fat armored mancubus.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
So what's the main difficulty everyone is playing on? I am one above normal. I usually do normal on my first playthrough, but iirc, the first doom 2016 was too easy.

Aiming still feels weird but I'm getting used to it on this new Xbox one controller I am using (PC). It is also odd having to get used to not reloading. I keep doing it.

Sep 21, 2019
If y'all thought that cultist bass checkpoint was bad wait until you get to the UV master level one with TWO cyberdemons, pain elemtals, those shield assholes, the buff ass hell knights with the blades, and like half a dozen spiders and them fat armored mancubus.

Literally just spent 30+ tries before closing the cultist base checkpoint on UV.

Shit was BRUTAL.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
So what's the main difficulty everyone is playing on? I am one above normal. I usually do normal on my first playthrough, but iirc, the first doom 2016 was too easy.

Aiming still feels weird but I'm getting used to it on this new Xbox one controller I am using (PC). It is also odd having to get used to not reloading. I keep doing it.
The game's difficulty curve feels really good on Ultra-Violence. Nightmare is a bit too much.
The trick is not to immediately kill the big enemies. As far as I can tell, the game only spawns heavies up to a point, and when you clear enough it spawns more. If you disable the cannons on the Arachnotrons and Mancubi, then the rest are a lot easier to deal with until you've cleared them out. Then you can worry about the debilitated demons.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Still on the 2nd level but I can't understand how some people here are saying that this isn't a graphical update or that even 2016 is better looking. You guys need to get your eyes checked (just wait for COVID-19 to stabilize though).

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Still on the 2nd level but I can't understand how some people here are saying that this isn't a graphical update or that even 2016 is better looking. You guys need to get your eyes checked (just wait for COVID-19 to stabilize though).
id Tech 7 is absolutely incredible, and I'm amazed the game runs as well as it does on new and old hardware alike. I was getting 120+ frames per second at 1440p and ultra settings on my GTX 1080 Ti, and my roommate playing at 2560x1080 (ultrawide) on his GTX 1070 was keeping a locked 60FPS without issue.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
HOLY SHIT I beat the first slayer gate!

The trick was to save the chainsaw until the big guys show up so I could use all three pips to inst-kill one of them as to buy some breathing room. That's my big problem with how this game handles the chainsaw, they expect you to use it alot to get more ammo, but sometimes you just need to save your fuel to kill something that would be a huge problem if you don't kill it right away.

But man, what a rush. This game is pure adrenaline in a way I don't think I've seen in any other game, it's crazy.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
let's add sticky floors that aggressively nerf movement speed, dashing, and jumping all at the same time in busy encounter arenas for a run-and-gun shooter that greatly emphasises mobility

I mean, it's only in a handful of sections, not like every single level, and games adding the occasional mechanic/enemy that takes away a fundamental ability and forces you to think differently isn't an unheard of concept.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Done.

Overall, I'm much more positive than I was at the start. I still greatly prefer the simplicity of 16, but once I got a hold of the mechanic juggling and faster pacing, I started enjoying myself. I also dropped the difficulty to Normal, and found the experience closer to what I remember of 16 in Ultra-Violence.

UV here seems to suffer from the gameplay mechanics being at odds with one another. Keeping yourself supplied of ammo and armor is a necessity, but when the enemies are as spongy as they are in UV, the difficulty just doesn't work.

I think id makes a big mistake in throwing like nine new mechanics at you all at once without proper time to get a hold of them. Hell, it took me like five hours to remember the button layout.

The improvements in art design are clear from the start. I really dug how diverse the color palette was, especially when every level in 16 was a reddish-brown factory. The same great core-combat is intact, but the rhythm has changed thanks to the focus of resource management, but once that clicked, I was into it.

The pacing is also incredibly rapid once you get to the 25% mark or so. If anything, 16 does kinda outstay its welcome by the end, but Eternal is just a rocket ride. The final boss goes on too long however (though the gore degradation tech was impressively grotesque).

I think it's time for every FPS dev out there to realize first-person boss fights have never been, and never will be a good time.

What I'm disappointed in is how boring the upgrade system is. id stacked layers upon layers of upgrades, but forgot to make any of them interesting. The weapon upgrades are THE SAME EXACT UPGRADES from the last game, which kinda killed any incentive to seek them out. I played through 16 three times, the sticky grenade attachment isn't exciting any more.

You can also count me into the Anti-Marauder group. Something I don't ever want to deal with in a Doom game is an enemy that requires an exact weapon to beat. In that same vein, the Doom Hunter was also super annoying considering you have to use the Plasma Rifle to get him.

Overall, I'd say it's a solid 4/5, which is fine, but damn this should have been an absolute slam dunk, and it's not quite there. I might give it another go on UV with the upgrades I have now and see how I feel about it.

Time for the main event, Doom 64.

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
What even is this game? I'm not sure I have ever been so thoroughly caught off guard by a game before. This is NOT what I expected this game to be.

Its quite good. Im enjoying myself greatly. But its hard to believe this is a sequel to Doom 2016. Almost feels like another soft reboot.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Just fought the Marauder guy I guess that's from the trailers? The Doom armor guy with an Axe? Yeah I gotta say I'm gonna finish but I don't find this nearly as tight as Doom 2016. Throwing me into a tiny room with a guy that can zip around the entire arena, I have to keep him "mid distance" but he still teleports anyways making that nearly impossible, while throwing enemies at me (I'm assuming to use for health and ammo) all the while expecting me to wait in the nightmarish hellscape of SFX to see a "green light of his eyes" right before countering? Woof.

I've been really enjoying parts of the game but some of the mechanics, the fight systems that are there to stop you from putting the hurt to enemies, and other things are making me feel a lot less..."empowered" I guess? I'm spending most of my time running. Because everything is ridiculously aggressive and you have to keep moving 200% more than 2016. I want to enjoy it but it's basically "swap to enemy weak weapon, chainsaw for ammo, repeat" and while the Slayer Gates are intense and really fun, when I look back at it I'm just like "eh."

On top of that the upgrade system in this game feels needlessly convoluted.

Your home base that you don't always return to in-between missions has upgrades locked behind collectible walls, you have praetor suit combat upgrades that feel a lot less interesting than 2016, and the Runes feel like a huge step down to me because of the way the new fight system works. There's upgrades for your suits, mods for your weapons upgrades for your weapons, runes, and it may be very similar to 2016 on paper but in execution and in the UI it's a ugly display of barely any real gameplay changes on top of having two grenades to switch through and a flame jet and everything else that makes my weapons feel like less of the showcase.

I feel like there's so many Sentinel Crystals when they could have gone for a less is more approach, but they're pacing it throughout the whole game.

I'm liking the game for the most part, but on top of the just dropping you into it they did when there was a bunch of questions from the end of Doom 1 (I'm just now getting to some actual story bits related to that) and leaving it all for lore entries, it's feeling disconnected as to why I'm doing any of this. Like Night Sentinels, Hell Priests, ARC, etc are all things thrown at you without a lot of context and I kinda miss the simplicity of "UAC facility is harnessing hell energy, it went south, now hell is here and you're fighting hell."

Now I'm watching Slayer bow to some weird king dude and there's all this third person dialogue and stuff and I dunno if I like it as much. Gonna give it some time since these are just my heat of hte moment thoughts, but I'm definitely iffy about the combat. It forces you into specific scenarios and I feel 2016 was much more freeform with its combat. We'll see by the end.

At the same time I just got a huge chuckle out of
You can't just shoot a hole into the middle of MARS!!! (bitch yes I can)

I think it's time for every FPS dev out there to realize first-person boss fights have never been, and never will be a good time.

What I'm disappointed in is how boring the upgrade system is. id stacked layers upon layers of upgrades, but forgot to make any of them interesting. The weapon upgrades are THE SAME EXACT UPGRADES from the last game, which kinda killed any incentive to seek them out. I played through 16 three times, the sticky grenade attachment isn't exciting any more.

You can also count me into the Anti-Marauder group. Something I don't ever want to deal with in a Doom game is an enemy that requires an exact weapon to beat. In that same vein, the Doom Hunter was also super annoying considering you have to use the Plasma Rifle to get him.
Agreed on all fronts for the quoted. The upgrades are uninteresting and mostly the exact same, and the "boss fights" are just...not fun for me. I feel "weaker" in this game and I dunno if I'm cool with that yet. Marauder was a pure shit show and not fun to me at all. He needs to be slower in movement and then be quick to attack, not just 2000% jacked on monster speed teleporting around, shooting laser beams and trying to hit me with a shotgun. I dunno maybe I'll like it on subsequent playthroughs but not really enjoying his fight at all.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
What the hell is this slayer gate?
The gate on the level after the super gore nest. Two Tyrants, a Hunter, Baron of Hell and every other damn enemy this game has got. How in the world am I supposed to beat this on ultra?

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I've done every challenge so far except a left side glory kill on the doom hunter. I did both my left and his left and keep seeing the same slash down the head kill.

Welp.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it's only in a handful of sections, not like every single level, and games adding the occasional mechanic/enemy that takes away a fundamental ability and forces you to think differently isn't an unheard of concept.

I get the the concept, I just don't think it works at all. It's not like floor-is-lava or watch-the-electricity, where there's an incentive to use your core skills to avoid something, because the sticky floor concept fundamentally by design immediately restricts the entire core function of your mobility. It's a challenge, yes, I just think it's total dogshit and boring and has no place in a game like this, because the instant you land it in the entire encounter in that moment becomes about getting out of the floor due to how restricted your mobility is.

Breaking up the combat flow is great in games like this, even if it's heavy. See Gracious and Glorious in Bayonetta nerfing Witch Time. But the difference between something like that and something like this is that while Gracious and Glorious nerfed an important part of the combat, it didn't break the moment and flow in of itself. It just nerfs the crutch. Not being able to move quickly, dodge, or jump for a stretch of terrain because you're stuck in purple snot immediately detracts from the entire encounter for me. I get the challenge is to avoid it, but that just means a portion of the playspace is limited, reducing the freedom of the encounter flow, and if you do falter you're not able to use your existing mobility to escape (like electro floors and whatnot). It's a flow breaker, and that is precisely why I don't like it.

It's no biggy though. The rest of the game is good. It just puts a huge damper on those moments for me and I don't think they coherently fit the flow of encounters or the level design.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Is it me or does the ballista just kind of... suck?

Its counterpart (the gauss cannon) was practically my favorite gun in Doom 2016 but the ballista seems to be in this weird no-man's-land where it's too powerful to use on fodder but too weak to use on heavy demons. And the alt-fire modes are so slow that on harder difficulties, you''re dead before you get the shot off, so the damage is kind of irrelevant.

The gatling gun with the shield mod, on the other hand..... that's a game changer right there!

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I get the the concept, I just don't think it works at all. It's not like floor-is-lava or watch-the-electricity, where there's an incentive to use your core skills to avoid something, because the sticky floor concept fundamentally by design immediately restricts the entire core function of your mobility. It's a challenge, yes, I just think it's total dogshit and boring and has no place in a game like this, because the instant you land it in the entire encounter in that moment becomes about getting out of the floor due to how restricted your mobility is.

Breaking up the combat flow is great in games like this, even if it's heavy. See Gracious and Glorious in Bayonetta nerfing Witch Time. But the difference between something like that and something like this is that while Gracious and Glorious nerfed an important part of the combat, it didn't break the moment and flow in of itself. It just nerfs the crutch. Not being able to move quickly, dodge, or jump for a stretch of terrain because you're stuck in purple snot immediately detracts from the entire encounter for me. I get the challenge is to avoid it, but that just means a portion of the playspace is limited, reducing the freedom of the encounter flow, and if you do falter you're not able to use your existing mobility to escape (like electro floors and whatnot). It's a flow breaker, and that is precisely why I don't like it.

It's no biggy though. The rest of the game is good. It just puts a huge damper on those moments for me and I don't think they coherently fit the flow of encounters or the level design.

I mean, this has happened like 2 or 3 times in my 10 hours so far in the game so I don't see it as something worth getting upset about.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States

Marauder is vulnerable to combat shotgun, super shotgun, chaingun, ballista, and rockets (all of them will parry his attack). The DOOM Hunter's shield only protects his upper torso. You can focus fire on his sled with any weapon to deal enough damage to get him to detach from it. Blood Punch is a hard counter and deals massive damage to the sled.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019

I forgot to mention this in my post. Nothing feels like a great test of skill more than having most my mobility nerfed in an encounter when the whole game is revolving around mobility while I sit in purple shit and can't even dash. Really put a bad taste in my mouth.

I mean, this has happened like 2 or 3 times in my 10 hours so far in the game so I don't see it as something worth getting upset about.
My problem is it shouldn't exist. I don't know why it was thought out that this was a good encounter design. We already had RAD/poison stuff why put this stupid stuff in here. It's not interesting or making you play different, it just takes away half your skills so you have to just sit there and spam fire and hope that you don't die before they get to you because they WILL get to you.

I think it's a terrible mechanic/environment aspect, and if that's getting upset about it I guess I am too, because I think it's terrible.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Marauder is vulnerable to combat shotgun, super shotgun, chaingun, ballista, and rockets (all of them will parry his attack). The DOOM Hunter's shield only protects his upper torso. You can focus fire on his sled with any weapon to deal enough damage to get him to detach from it. Blood Punch is a hard counter and deals massive damage to the sled.
The Balista was the only weapon I found effective. For some reason, the super shotty wouldn't register a hit half the time.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
man I really WANT to use it more, but when i only ever have like 3-4 shots and like you said, they take forever to shoot, I just kind of avoid it. It's good for one shotting the cacodemons but otherwise i just never bother switching to it. :(

Right? I want to use it too! It feels awesome to shoot (in general) but it''s just not balanced right as it stands now.