• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I think this is so antithetical to the game design and it sounds like you fundamentally don't understand it. The additional enemies are there so you can recharge health and armor, and the line of sight breaks are for your sake, not the enemy's.

I think you misunderstood my post. I get the rules of the game and the intent behind the fodder, but that is not what I was talking about.

Did you fight the boss? You have to lean on the Pulse rifle to melt their shields in a sustained amount of fire for a brief window or else it recharges. The two bosses also scramble around corners, hopping up platforms, etc... this breaks your line of sight as you pursue opportunity to fire. Meanwhile doing this, an army is at your back(not just the meager zombies that are clearly designed for resource gathering) but imps, shield guys, teleporting phase demons, gargoyles, etc... all the things that can melt you down fast while your focus is elsewhere.

So this led to scrambling them down to provide a reprieve to focus fire and chase my true target without off-screen fuckery. But also given the tight arena with walled zones(which -yes- do help defensively), also can be disruptive when dashing away from a flurry of fire leading to more deaths being caught on geometry than the threat of the foe itself I was facing. My point is that death often resulted from getting caught on something, or three things spawning behind me that I didn't notice. Not the true foe.

I managed through it. I played as intended and it worked out, it just felt tedious instead of exhilerating.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Anyone else feel as if the graphics were much better in DOOM 2016? I'm on a 1070, but I was expecting a huge graphic upgrade with this one. It's still a pretty game to look at, but I guess my expectations were too high.

Yeah, have the same feeling.. I like the more diverse environments, of course, but some graphic effects are worse than they were in 2016, some textures don't look so hot and some enemy models that were in previous game too are looking somehow worse - not that D2016 didn't had any low looking textures, far from it, but overall I'm not that impressed with the graphics in Eternal .. and this is with everything in the graphic settings set to max

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wish they added more weapons. I mean the two they added, may as well be chainsaws/BFGs.

Dual wield revolvers mod. Show love to the pistol again.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
So far out of the 3 weapons I have only the AR sounds good. The shotgun and pulse rifle sound terrible, it's like there's no weight or low end to the audio feedback. Why do they keep doing this.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I think you misunderstood my post. I get the rules of the game and the intent behind the fodder, but that is not what I was talking about.

Did you fight the boss? You have to lean on the Pulse rifle to melt their shields in a sustained amount of fire for a brief window or else it recharges. The two bosses also scramble around corners, hopping up platforms, etc... this breaks your line of sight as you pursue opportunity to fire. Meanwhile doing this, an army is at your back(not just the meager zombies that are clearly designed for resource gathering) but imps, shield guys, teleporting phase demons, gargoyles, etc... all the things that can melt you down fast while your focus is elsewhere.

So this led to scrambling them down to provide a reprieve to focus fire and chase my true target without off-screen fuckery. But also given the tight arena with walled zones(which -yes- do help defensively), also can be disruptive when dashing away from a flurry of fire leading to more deaths being caught on geometry than the threat of the foe itself I was facing. My point is that death often resulted from getting caught on something, or three things spawning behind me that I didn't notice. Not the true foe.

I managed through it. I played as intended and it worked out, it just felt tedious instead of exhilerating.

Yes, I beat the boss. I died a couple of times before I adjusted to the rhythm of the encounter but suddenly it clicked and it was a blast. I think fundamentally this game keeps throwing different things at the player with different encounter designs and some people (not necessarily pointing to you here) are refusing to adapt and change their style accordingly.

That being said, I'd say that dying to not judging the arena geometry correctly or keeping a mental map of other demons in there isn't necessarily dying to something that isn't "the true foe". Even though the hunter is the boss, the true foe is the whole encounter, with the arena and the other enemies included.

The Arc Complex Slayer Gate is PURE SEX.

Yeah it was ridiculous, I was like "ARE YOU KIDDING ME" but it was a blast. I feel like people who refuse to pick up on the rhythm of the game are going to have a real hard time beating the late game encounters.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Forget the lighting. WHY did they change the colours on barons? for a game that is trying even harder than 2016 to be referential, changing the classic colour scheme to grey is insane.

Yeah, that is one really strange change.. Eternal is so much more colorful than D2016, so why the decided to change to colors on the Baron model, which would perfectly fit into the new game to the more dark/grey color scheme that would fit on the other hand into the previous game better, is beyond me

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is and it's called Doom 64, available now on all major platforms.

I actually really like Doom 3 as its own game, it just doesn't fit in with the rest of the series. But as a horror game of a different style I enjoyed it a bunch.

And indeed, it seems that the canon is that Doomguy fought demons on Mars, Earth and so on, ending on Doom 64 closing himself in Hell to fight demons until the end of time. He was eventually captured by the sentinels and made to fight for them, until he was trapped, and freed again on Mars at the start of Doom 2016. So by all means, the game's canon seems that Doom, Doom II, Doom 64, Doom 2016 and Eternal are canon. Out of the mainline games, only Doom 3 is not canon. They also understand it was a bad game, good call :P

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
For all the controller people out there, It took me a VERY long time to realize the aim assist on the Heavy Cannon is extremely generous when you ADS.

It's a quick scope COD paradise and will obliterate certain later game enemies.

Oct 27, 2017
Now I've got over the initial "this feels too different to Doom 2016" hump, I am absolutely loving this game.

It's just such a balls-out, full on sequel. Not every design decision here is one I particularly love, but the game owns every change it makes to such a degree that it quickly distances itself and carves its own path. Mechanically it's just an exhilarating thrill ride. This, Doom 2016 and Titanfall 2 are the best FPS games I've ever played and it's not even close.

Playing this HUDless at 21:9 is just.. oh man.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Chapter 4 was a platformer puzzle game. It was like playing a game of tomb raider in first person. I kinda like the wall climbing, but my goodness I spent more time on that level hanging from walls then fighting demons.

OmahaGTP

Dec 24, 2017
It's the weird launcher.
They don't show you your games by default only the ones they want you to see.
Click on the small >> on the games list and you see Doom64 etc.

Also try logging out and back into the app if purchases don't show up.

Thanks for your help. It ended up being my fault, I quickly took quick zoomed photos of the codes and then set everything back into the collectors box to look at later. The code I entered first was the CE content code, and I didn't want to proceed until I thought the game redeemed correctly for adding additional codes. Bethesda site just said I redeemed Doom Eternal - PC, so I didn't know I was on the wrong path. Either way, I do not like the launcher layout one bit, though it was my fault.

I'm impressed I am able to run this game at locked 60 in 4K, maxed settings, on a 2500k/1080. Granted, CPU is 90-95% but the build is still hanging in there. Game is nuts.

Willin

Oct 28, 2017
The last boss is a motherfucker on Ultra-Violence. There is just demons everywhere and it's super dark too so half the time you don't even know where you are.

Oct 26, 2017
And indeed, it seems that the canon is that Doomguy fought demons on Mars, Earth and so on, ending on Doom 64 closing himself in Hell to fight demons until the end of time. He was eventually captured by the sentinels and made to fight for them, until he was trapped, and freed again on Mars at the start of Doom 2016. So by all means, the game's canon seems that Doom, Doom II, Doom 64, Doom 2016 and Eternal are canon. Out of the mainline games, only Doom 3 is not canon. They also understand it was a bad game, good call :P
That was Doom Marine, not Doom Guy. They're different people so I think DOOM 3 can still be canon, but I wouldn't miss it if it weren't.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
The first real boss fight made me want to quit the game until it let me activate Easy-Mode Armor, amd even then it was hectic stuff. But the level after that -- Super Gore Nest -- is my favorite stage in either game, even above The Foundry. Once you've stacked up on upgrades, this game finally starts to sing.

Oct 25, 2017
That was Doom Marine, not Doom Guy. They're different people so I think DOOM 3 can still be canon, but I wouldn't miss it if it weren't.
The three-marine does run into doomguy's sarcophagus in the possession of the UAC during the events of Doom3 (stylistically different but canonically the same)
If I'm remembering correctly, 2016 even references it being found in the same area you find it in during D3

Yushi

Nov 27, 2017
So i played multiplayer for a few match. I did not manage to win a single game as the Slayer. Demon winning is much easier.

I did manage to get a 2-3 lost as Slayer...so close.

imgur.com

imgur.com

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Last edited:

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Just beaten the game on Nightmare. Overall great game, I can say is i can't go back to 2016 ever. Also Nightmare on Eternal is easily way harder than 2016.

But there are some really shitty moments in Eternal like the purple goo and boss fights are just intros to new enemies while leaving Archviles to just randomly be discovered as a spawn in a later level and that was about it for campaign really?

Also tutorials I was not expecting to spoil out how to kill _____ right before the fight starts. If that wasn't enough, have one in the loading tips as you reload from death.

But yea, enjoyed all the arena fights, REALLY feels like the Quake team came aboard and did the arenas and enemies remind me of Stroggs.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
the soundtrack is absolutely incredible. while I still love BFG Division I think overall the doom eternal music is much better.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
hmm.. I just bought it, played a few hours.. and I dont know. I was a huge fan of DOOM 2016, that game just sucked me in. but honestly, DOOM eternal comes across as a bit of a chore very early on. Its too much intensity, too much going on. the platforming just feels very odd and out of place, and I have a hard time really enjoying it. all the enemies with different tactics. it feels massively prechewed in terms of how you have to deal with combat. in 2016 I felt like there was room to find my own rhythm, here it forces you into a rhythm and if you don't play like that, you will have a bit of a clumsy sucky time. I will give it more hours offcourse but at this point, I vastly prefer 2016.

anyone else in the same boat?

dmr87

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
Went from UV to Nightmare, having a blast. Can safely say this'll join my pantheon of shooters to mong out to.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
hmm.. I just bought it, played a few hours.. and I dont know. I was a huge fan of DOOM 2016, that game just sucked me in. but honestly, DOOM eternal comes across as a bit of a chore very early on. Its too much intensity, too much going on. the platforming just feels very odd and out of place, and I have a hard time really enjoying it. all the enemies with different tactics. it feels massively prechewed in terms of how you have to deal with combat. in 2016 I felt like there was room to find my own rhythm, here it forces you into a rhythm and if you don't play like that, you will have a bit of a clumsy sucky time. I will give it more hours offcourse but at this point, I vastly prefer 2016.

The game has definitely gone overboard with all the new mechanics and added complexity. That said it should get better once you get past the first few hours when you've unlocked dash and more weapons. In the beginning you are basically shoehorned into a particular play style because you have barely any weapons or abilities unlocked. I don't think the added emphasis on platforming will change, not sure why they did that to be honest.

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017

i'm kinda with you right now. it's still very good overall and i've gotten used to the new tactics and whatnot, but i'm not feeling the overabundance of progress bars and extracurricular junk. it feels overwhelming at the outset in a way 2016 didn't.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
The one thing that's surprised me about this is that combat sequences are almost to exhilarating. I need to take some time away just to calm down. I have to take a shower after I finish a slayer gate lol.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Im kinda 50/50. I started off adoring it all. Loved the whole intro and first section. Vibe absolutely spot on. Love the environments. But I'm starting to fall into a similar rhythm as you. I'm not liking that it's more or less forcing me to approach fights in a certain way. Not sure I love the weak points and there are so many different upgrade points and skill trees and things to collect. It's doing my head in a bit. Hoping I swing back the other way. It's definitely still really great.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
If I already have the DOOM 1, II and 3 costumes from owning the games, I can save my batteries not buying those costumes, correct?

I did spot one unique costume that looked sweet, though.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
It's quite difficult to understand what feels awkward with the controls without being able to see how the game processes inputs from the controller, and even then I'm no expert on the control programming end of things. But it feels as though game is processing inputs in a way that makes it feel minimally responsive to small movements. So the game feels quite cumbersome for me to control as it rather suddenly shifts from smooth and fast aiming.

This is particularly problematic because unlike other console shooters with 'aim down sights' mechanics which serve as a sensitivity modifier, Doom only features hip fire for most weapons. So that means that the camera control has to be absolutely perfect, because players can't slow things down on the fly.

As for what might be causing it, I suggested the response curve because it can affect how it feels to move the camera around, and how the camera accelerates up to its maximum speed. To the best of my understanding a response curve in more detail where the acceleration starts and ends (the acceleration itself is defined by your acceleration speed, and maximum sensitivity, which are different variables). In Apex Legends you can actually adjust the response curve with a slider, same for Titanfall 2, and there's a similar setting in Overwatch, but there's nothing like that in Doom. So beyond sensitivity, how the game processes the analog inputs is outside of the players control.

It's subjective as to whether Doom is processing inputs in a 'good' way, but as a player I can say I don't like how it feels. Additionally, it's processing the players inputs in a way that makes it feel quite different to other games. I guess the point is that gamefeel is complex and giving the player the ability to get the game into a position where it feels comfortable and familiar would be very much welcomed. As it is, there's no chance I'd stick around with Doom Eternal beyond a single playthrough, it's just not a joy to play for me in the way that games like Titanfall 2 are.

Interesting. Thanks for the input (no pun intended :) and for the time to explain!

Egg0

Oct 25, 2017
These fuckin platforming sections.... They aren't even hard, but every time I come up to one, it makes me want to turn it off and play Animal Crossing or Nioh 2.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I felt the same way with the first couple of missions - although I am getting in the rhythm of things. The gameplay feels vastly different to Doom 2016, and enemies are super, super aggressive. They're always in your face in this game. It makes you feel like a headless chicken, wildly shooting your weapons in thin air in a desperate attempt to survive. And then of course you have to micromanage your armour/health/ammo at all times.

Oct 25, 2017
Minor complaint, but I feel like they've done some of the demons dirty in the two newest Doom games. The Pinky in general was WAY creepier in Doom 3 for example, compared to the almost cute ones in Eternal.

tumblr_oxfivywO3m1r7sijxo1_400.gif
How can you even call it a Pinky when it's not even pink in Doom 3?

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got the unmaykr, kinda underwhelming? I've yet to try it in a mission but I tried it in the ripatorium (which btw didn't refund my ammo.. motherfuckers)
6th slayer gate was good too, took 2 tries on nightmare I think.
I'm starting to get more comfortable with marauders, I just find it annoying when they use their projectile at close range, cheaters.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone gonna bring up the fact that you can farm extra lives by backing in and out of the second level?

OberstKrueger

Jan 7, 2018
Why are the demon controls completely separate from the slayer controls? As someone who does not play WASD, I set the slayer controls thinking that I would be good for singleplayer, since the demon stuff seemed multiplayer. Nope, have to set that too just to be able to move around, let alone do anything else.

First Doom game I've actually turned off in pure frustration. I'm getting over this game pretty quickly...

Last edited:

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone gonna bring up the fact that you can farm extra lives by backing in and out of the second level?
If you're gonna cheat just use cheats :)
But yeah the way they handle 1 ups is strange. If you die after using all your one ups.. you respawn without? Fuck me I guess lol. Matters a lot on slayer gates especially.

Oct 27, 2017

Hoooooly shit. Like Super Mario World? I am heavily into this idea! That's awesome.

I'm playing this game on the standard difficulty. Finding it challenging as fuck tbh but fair. I may fail a few time but I am making progress. The way they've finessed the loop of health/armour/ammo with your accessories is really clever, but feels a little bit more frantic than Doom 2016. I feel like i liked Doom 2016 because of it's flow and lack of complexity, and this time around I feel like I'm juggling a liiiiiiitle bit more than I'm comfortable with.

Just finished level 3, so I'm only 2-3 hours in so I might adjust to it. I'm still having fun anyway.

Some of the set pieces are fantastic. The engine is so fucking good. It feels fabulous to play.

TheOnlyJ

Oct 29, 2019
Advice fighting marauders needed: do you really just have to dodge dodge dodge, get one super shotgun when he attacks, dodge, dodge, etc until he dies? It is taking me like 20 minutes to kill each one

Mercurial

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else feeling really ammo constrained? I'm using the chainsaw fairly strategically but I still feel like I'm almost always out.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Hoooooly shit. Like Super Mario World? I am heavily into this idea! That's awesome.

Straight up, that collapsed bridge at the very beginning of that level.

Don't jump, just drop, and you have that 1up, back out of the menu and repeat.

Because it stacks up and carries over, it's so shameless lol.

Given how fucking hard this game can be, guess I there's the balance. Not really though lol.