• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Getting this soon, but watching reviews and gameplay...has anyone else gotten God of War 2 vibes from this?

Going from GoW 1 to GoW 2 saw the same gory combat and heightened mythology return but the world was more colorful and expansive, more puzzle focused, bigger set-pieces, more bosses, a grander sense of adventure and scope.

Seeing Eternal versus Doom 2016 is going me major God of War 2.

Oct 25, 2017
Getting this soon, but watching reviews and gameplay...has anyone else gotten God of War 2 vibes from this?

Going from GoW 1 to GoW 2 saw the same gory combat and heightened mythology return but the world was more colorful and expansive, more puzzle focused, bigger set-pieces, more bosses, a grander sense of adventure and scope.

Seeing Eternal versus Doom 2016 is going me major God of War 2.

One of the *first* things I thought of when you see the scale of Eternal in the levels was the new God of War. It's definitely on another level entirely from 2016 in presentation and scale.

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
If you use mission select to go back and get collectables you missed. Do you have to fre-inish the level for it to count?

Yeah, I fucked up on the second mission and accidentally left with one collectible/secret remaining. Selected the mission again from level select, and it just starts the whole mission over.

I'll still do it at some point, but was kind of a bummer. Once you unlock that fast travel, make sure you get everything before you leave.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Man this game is exhausting to play. I think I was near the end of level 3 but I had to stop just before the Slayer Gate to take a break.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Playing on Ultra-Violence, I have finished the 3rd mission now, that's the snowy one I believe?
Game is ridiculously fun in the actual combat. You bounce around like a crazy death machine and use your cooldowns constantly to keep your weapons topped to do maximum damage. Like you literally have infinite ammo and can just use whatever you want the whole time. So nice.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Literally. I swear this is 3 different levels of power. His max power for the boss fight, his weakest for the slayer gate, his 2nd strongest for the first real enemy encounter in a level. I had to use a bfg shot that lingered on him for 2-3 solid seconds, multiple rocket shots and 5 SS counter blasts before I staggered him. I'm pretty NOTHING hurts him outside the shotgun counters, it really seems like it.

I commend them for making Nightmare hard, I don't commend them for doing it the classic doom way where it's basically 1 shot and every enemy body blocks you.
I was really hoping for a rune that allowed your dash to let you phase through enemies.

For the Marauder, as I'm sure most of us are aware, it is all about controlling his spacing to you. Get in that medium range to bait him to lunge, and watch for the signals. Don't let him get too far or too close. I do think the Super Shotgun is what is most effective against him.

Though I've only fought him a few times, that is what works very well for me.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finished Ori

I Bought doom obviously but I never actually played doom 2016 should I go for this one first or can I go straight into eternal ?

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
I was really hoping for a rune that allowed your dash to let you phase through enemies.

For the Marauder, as I'm sure most of us are aware, it is all about controlling his spacing to you. Get in that medium range to bait him to lunge, and watch for the signals. Don't let him get too far or too close. I do think the Super Shotgun is what is most effective against him.

Though I've only fought him a few times, that is what works very well for me.
lol there is no medium range, he does what he wants. He'll lunge from very far away, he'll use shotgun from far away, he'll do the red projectile from way up close. Absolutely fuck this enemy.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I commend them for making Nightmare hard, I don't commend them for doing it the classic doom way where it's basically 1 shot and every enemy body blocks you.
I do kinda feel maybe the dash should ignore enemy hitboxes. It feels shitty to get bodyblocked like that with the intense numbers of enemies they throw at you. It's the only time I feel frustrated at dying.

If we're going with character-action comparisons, in any Bayonetta you can always dodge the enemies attacks if you back into a bad position, but if you get into that kind of situation in DOOM Eternal, you just dash into some huge demon's fat belly and die.

Last edited:

OberstKrueger

Jan 7, 2018
Everyone is saying this gets better as you go along. I really hope so. After a few hours of playing, this is the first Doom to not grip me right away. The combat is fun, but I'm not a fan of all the other stuff added on top of the game. So many abilities to constantly cycle through, keeping track of if dash is up. The platforming is more annoying than I'd like.

The music and visuals are great though, so at least there's that? Maybe a few more levels will warm me up to it...

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The text:

"Returning to the fortress will SAVE WHAT YOU HAVE EARNED but abandon the mission".

So if you guys are item hunting, quit out once you grab everything. You'll still have the items. Utilize the fast travel system as soon as the level allows you.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
Doom Eternal is a game that knows its a sequel, and that immediately looks to take advantage of returning players, their expectations, and to teach them new tricks. It's a really challenging game, yes, but more than that it is a game that understands the best way to be a sequel: it widens the playing field enough to destabilize the ground for everyone, but it benefits from peoples' previous experience. It's complex, but absolutely pure in its core competency. It's not as revolutionary as 2016, but it delivers more than just 'more of the same.' It's dogmatically, strongly opinionated about what it is and how you need to play it, but going with the grain on Doom Eternal serves up one of the most extreme, frenetic, and satisfyingly challenging experiences I've had in an FPS for many, many years, at least on Ultraviolence. Bravo, id.

This is a great way to describe the game and I absolutely *adore* their demanding tone of how to approach the combat. It's genuinely nice approaching a game combat system that stops and tells you "no, you have to mix it up; you can not just use this one thing". It's what I found dreadfully boring from something like Horizon: Zero Dawn. Doom 2016 had the same issue but at least asked you to still be quick on your feet but Eternal cranks it all to 11 and I deeply appreciate id for taking this approach.

I think they pushed the combat system into a much better place and improved on 2016 in spades in that regard. My main gripes with the game come from general pacing, mostly story wise.

I found the Arbalest to be much quick at dealing with the Marauder but you have to be *much* more precise and on your feet.

Brainfreeze

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
I was really, really enjoying the game up until the Marauder fight. He took all of my extra lives, and I'm having trouble restocking now. It's made the level after feel kind of tedious.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I'm honestly just doing the slayer gates after the first play through. They're clearly end game style content so I'll treat them as such.

JC noooo

Slayer gates are the DKC K levels of this game. They're tough when you get to them, but they're totally doable and will level you up massively as a player if you beat them. ARC Complex slayer gate is one of the best parts of the entire game.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
What's everyone upgrading first? I decided to focus on the dash powerups, and mid-air movement was crucial to my enjoyment of the last game, so I upgraded that, too. Feels a lot more agile now in combat.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I was really, really enjoying the game up until the Marauder fight. He took all of my extra lives, and I'm having trouble restocking now. It's made the level after feel kind of tedious.
As has been posted on here
Super shotgun, quick switch balista and repeat.

I reloaded at that fight after dieing some 3 or so times and killed him really quickly.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Marauder is gg ez, at least on UV. Just clear the room of non-respawning demons first so you can 1v1 him bro. He's more of a pressure unit that fucks with you when managing the rest of the crowd than an actual threat when you isolate him.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finished Ori

I Bought doom obviously but I never actually played doom 2016 should I go for this one first or can I go straight into eternal ?

I don't think the story even matters so no, I don't think you need to play part 1. I also think Eternal mechanics take everything from 2016 and refined them for the better.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I found the Arbalest to be much quick at dealing with the Marauder but you have to be *much* more precise and on your feet.
I'll give that some more practice, thank you. He hasn't given me too much trouble, at least on UV. His health pool seems fairly low. Just have to make those openings count.
Finished Ori

You can definitely just go into Eternal, but I think it would be more enjoyable having played 2016 first, which is also excellent (and super cheap). There are a couple of story beats that come from 2016, but most are new for this entry. This one really expands the lore.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone is saying this gets better as you go along. I really hope so. After a few hours of playing, this is the first Doom to not grip me right away. The combat is fun, but I'm not a fan of all the other stuff added on top of the game. So many abilities to constantly cycle through, keeping track of if dash is up. The platforming is more annoying than I'd like.

The music and visuals are great though, so at least there's that? Maybe a few more levels will warm me up to it...
Wait till you get to Arc Complex. That's when DE found its footing for me, and I felt the same during the initial hours.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
I agree the first few hours I was disappointed but it's definitely much better now later in.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Man, I was thinking that Nightmare is going to be the right difficulty for me - well, I can't pass right now one fight in the second mission.. tried already for maybe 40 times, but nothing.. it's so frustrating, but I need to drop the difficulty.. this is way, way, way harder than Doom 2016

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's everyone upgrading first? I decided to focus on the dash powerups, and mid-air movement was crucial to my enjoyment of the last game, so I upgraded that, too. Feels a lot more agile now in combat.
Imo absolute musts :
Dash refill
Barrel immunity
Faster ledge grab and weapon switch
Ice grenade duration and damage up when frozen
Rest is mostly comfort

Finished the BFG mission on nightmare, slayer gate on first try but I had 7 lives and used 4. I thought it was fine but there was no fodder to chainsaw for the marauder :/ Otherwise I would have managed much better. He's much more manageable in an arena than in a fucking square room for sure.
Man, I was thinking that Nightmare is going to be the right difficulty for me - well, I can't pass right now one fight in the second mission.. tried already for maybe 40 times, but nothing.. it's so frustrating, but I need to drop the difficulty.. this is way, way, way harder than Doom 2016
Definitely much harder. I suggest doing UV and then re playing on nightmare afterwards, you'll probably laugh at what you got stuck on :P

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing on Ultra-Violence and just beat the first boss. Damn, that fight sucked!

I went back to level 2 to get a collectible I missed and set the difficulty to "I'm Too Young to Die". I expected it to be cakewalk, and for the most part it was, but I came close to dying near the end. The game still expects you to use the whole arsenal in your bag of tricks.

I think I fought a Marauder in a Slayer Gate and, yeah, they suck. Nope, I definitely haven't encountered that enemy yet. I'm not the biggest fan of how enemies can sometimes trap you in geometry. That's killed me more than a few times.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017

DOOM's story is just justification about why you're so good at killing demons and why you're killing demons. You don't need to play 2016 to understand that.

Though you should play it if you like FPS games at all. It's a great game.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Does Saving Blow or whatever it's called get refreshed after 1up uses or only after true deaths/checkpoint resets?

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I feel like I'm getting towards the end and I don't want it to be over, I haven't enjoyed a game this much in a very long time. There's still a bunch of stuff I can replay though, and I haven't touched the MP yet.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Okay this game is getting better about half way through the second level once they start introducing a whole lot more elements.

Good god that first level was all kinds of ass cheeks.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
anyone else have the issue where you press tab to view your map and your cursor is off in some far corner of the screen? it makes looking around the mini map a chore. but so does the fact that the mouse moves slow as shit in the menus, and that the panning is backwards.

really it just feels like everything to do with the minimap controls was done wrong, bleh

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Any tips for marauders? I had trouble during the first encounter with one and knew it was going to be a bitch going forward.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Definitely harder than 2016, but I'm loving it.

Although the platforming. And the repeated fails, not fun.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Any tips for marauders? I had trouble during the first encounter with one and knew it was going to be a bitch going forward.

When fighting them in a group, eliminate all other non-respawning demons first. You'll have to keep moving while the Marauder chases you down.

When you get to a 1v1 situation, you're looking to stagger him with a strong shot when he performs a melee attack. The super shotgun and the ballista are likely the best weapons for this. He'll melee when you're at mid-range, so blast him with one of those weapons before he hits you to deal damage and falter him. When he's faltered, quickly switch to another weapon and perform a follow up shot for extra damage. Never stand too close to him for long or he'll hit you with a fast hitscan shotgun blast. He can summon a wolf to pester you, but it has low HP and will die quickly to weapons like the plasma rifle or super shotgun. Watch out for projectiles from his axe when he's at a distance, though he can also whip them out at midrange. Main thing is to be on your toes and ready to counter attack at all times.

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm going to bump the difficulty down. UV is probably the right choice for me, but it's slowing my progression more than I'd like. I want to see all of the levels and weapons a little faster, then I'll come back for more challenge.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Green is usually health and blue is armor. Wtf is this shit