• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FelixFFM

Nov 7, 2017
Honestly these responses just validate my opinion. If I was looking for a Souls style of game where I needed to master every enemy on a knife's edge I'd boot up Dark Souls, not DOOM. I shouldn't have to play through hours and hours of the game just to get to the point of enjoyment. The vibe of 2016 was "they locked you in a tomb. you're pissed. rip and tear." and it didn't care how you accomplished that goal. Here I have be methodical about my actions or I will be severely punished. Even on the easiest difficulty setting.
I appreciate this, but also remember how many people called 2016 simplistic and said it overstayed its welcome and lasted too long considering how little variety it brought to the table. Making another 16 hour game following the exact same formula wouldn't have been a good thing. I personally think 2016's combat isn't challenging or interesting at all, just bullet spongy. I can't even imaging playing it after having played Eternal.
The simplistic charm of 2016 was cool at the time because it was so different to other games, but id had to bring something new to the table.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Can someone tell me something - before Eternal, the last time I saw Doomguy, he was being sent back to Hell by Dr Samuel Hayden. Vega was destroyed (though, Doomguy did make a backup of him). Now, suddenly, he starts from some fortress spacestation, and Vega is "alive" and well.

Without going into spoilers - is this going to be explained? Or have I missed something (like, I need to read the official comic or something). Thanks.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone tell me something - before Eternal, the last time I saw Doomguy, he was being sent back to Hell by Dr Samuel Hayden. Vega was destroyed (though, Doomguy did make a backup of him). Now, suddenly, he starts from some fortress spacestation, and Vega is "alive" and well.

Without going into spoilers - is this going to be explained? Or have I missed something (like, I need to read the official comic or something). Thanks.
I'm on mission 6 or 7 and have found some codex that expand on the events between 2016 and eternal.
Vega was backed up before being destroyed in 2016.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
after I started getting more abilities I rarely even bothered taking out enemies the way the game hinted at you. Like the Cacodemon mouth, or shooting the turret off the arachnatron.

I was moving around with so many abilities along with the complete radial menu that it just wasn't necessary.

The only time I had to fight differently are the marauders because they can block everything. Even my BFG. I've seen it happen.

Xemnas89

Aug 28, 2019
Well I think this game is great but at the same time it's way too intense for me. I'm on the third mission and I'm just constantly getting killed. I barely made it through the second mission and I'm on hurt me plenty. There was a time when I could handle games like this but now I'll either have to put it on the easiest difficulty or just give it up.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
If you've completed 2016 on nightmare once or more, nightmare maybe. Otherwise ultra violence.
I agree, Nightmare here is like 2016 had a Super Nightmare mode.

I'm halfway through and they havent explained anything yet. I found some codex that tells of what Hayden did after he got back to Earth but that's it.

In 2016 before you blow up vega, you made a backup of him: https://youtu.be/uxjvIeW66fU?t=124

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Played the first two missions. Even after replaying Doom 2016 recently I was not quite ready for the game to be this intense from the get go. I appreciate that, chucking lots at you from the very first mission, and the second one only gets more intense. I love that we get the same level of exploration as before only now with an even more agile Doom Slayer. Could have done with higher base ammo for a couple of these early weapons though, feels like you run out too quick, though I'm unlocking more to fix that.
Oh, and is there any way to move through the purple goop more swiftly? the tentacles + slow moving sucked in the second stage, as did having one of those spider bots attack me when I could seemingly not dodge :(

Only thing I really don't like is the hub world. I'd rather just have a straight forward menu to access everything through instead of what you get. Not exactly all that fun for me to explore between levels, I just want to either replay the last level, or load up the next one.

dmr87

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
II'm on this level, and the gate was some of the most exhilarating shit I ever played in a while. So good.

Ultra-Violence was the way to go.

dzBkNhb.gif

Just finished the slayer gate with a marauder in it. Not sure I'm liking them so far. The way to deal with them is very narrow, there's very little room to play with them. Maybe I'll git gud later on and find a way to toy with them.

They'll continue to shit on you now and then, the dogs are insane if you lose track of them.

What difficulty should I play this on? Want some challenge

Ultra-Violence or higher.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the area where there's a blood pillar squishing up and down there's a punchable wall leading to the pillar with a 1up. Once you grab it it opens the door with the teeth
Cheers. Anybody got tips on getting glory kills on pinkies ? Fuckers keep dying and I never see them flashing, it's just weird. Shooting from the front or the back. I failed the challenge in that mission because of that.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
I'm halfway through and they havent explained anything yet. I found some codex that tells of what Hayden did after he got back to Earth but that's it.

In 2016 before you blow up vega, you made a backup of him: https://youtu.be/uxjvIeW66fU?t=124

I'm on mission 6 or 7 and have found some codex that expand on the events between 2016 and eternal.
Vega was backed up before being destroyed in 2016.

Thanks, both. Yeah, I figure they wouldn't go too deep into it, and I heard a lot of the story is in codex...es? (What's the plural of codex, lol?). Still, I was hoping to see some spectacular return from hell at the beginning of the game. I'm one of the few people that actually liked the Doom 2016 story and is interested in what's going on in Eternal.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Played the first two missions. Even after replaying Doom 2016 recently I was not quite ready for the game to be this intense from the get go. I appreciate that, chucking lots at you from the very first mission, and the second one only gets more intense. I love that we get the same level of exploration as before only now with an even more agile Doom Slayer. Could have done with higher base ammo for a couple of these early weapons though, feels like you run out too quick, though I'm unlocking more to fix that.
Oh, and is there any way to move through the purple goop more swiftly? the tentacles + slow moving sucked in the second stage, as did having one of those spider bots attack me when I could seemingly not dodge :(

Only thing I really don't like is the hub world. I'd rather just have a straight forward menu to access everything through instead of what you get. Not exactly all that fun for me to explore between levels, I just want to either replay the last level, or load up the next one.

i think you can upgrade the suit to move faster through the goo

as soon as you run low on ammo, chainsaw an enemy, the chainsaw is on cooldown now and they expect the players to use it for refilling ammo

I'm on nightmare and while it's extremely fun and challenging, the difficulty is very spiky. I'm having to re-attempt certain encounters and slayer gates dozens of times.

the slayer gates on nightmare are meant to be tackled later when you have more tools. you can use teleport at the end of a level to tackle it or replay the mission later. and that certain encounters are harder than others is good imo, it pushes the players skills.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cheers. Anybody got tips on getting glory kills on pinkies ? Fuckers keep dying and I never see them flashing, it's just weird. Shooting from the front or the back. I failed the challenge in that mission because of that.
I used one of the weaker weapons like the regular shotgun or the heavy machine gun. Do one from behind, one from the front and one from above like jumping.

FelixFFM

Nov 7, 2017
i think you can upgrade the suit to move faster through the goo

as soon as you run low on ammo, chainsaw an enemy, the chainsaw is on cooldown now and they expect the players to use it for refilling ammo

the slayer gates on nightmare are meant to be tackled later when you have more tools. you can use teleport at the end of an level to tackle it or replay the mission later. and that certain encounters are harder than others is good imo, it pushes the players skills.
I'm on level 4 right now and I've beat them when they appeared so far. It's definitely possible.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
I appreciate this, but also remember how many people called 2016 simplistic and said it overstayed its welcome and lasted too long considering how little variety it brought to the table. Making another 16 hour game following the exact same formula wouldn't have been a good thing. I personally think 2016's combat isn't challenging or interesting at all, just bullet spongy. I can't even imaging playing it after having played Eternal.
The simplistic charm of 2016 was cool at the time because it was so different to other games, but id had to bring something new to the table.
I believe you are very much inflating the vocal minority here. Which seems to be exactly who the game designers listened to when making Eternal.

FelixFFM

Nov 7, 2017
I believe you are very much inflating the vocal minority here. Which seems to be exactly who the game designers here listened to when making Eternal.
I dunno. It's sitting at 88% positive on Steam and 90% metacritic.
EDIT: I get it now, you mean that people calling 2016 simplistic are the vocal minority? Yes perhaps, but to be fair, FPS games have a history of becoming more and more simplistic and streamlined and many of the most milquetoast games have reaped the greatest success. So I do really appreciate being able to play a genuinely challenging FPS campaign again.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the slayer gates are manageable when you find them definitely. They're very intense and introduce new enemies before they're "officially" introduced but are fine.

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Played through the first 5 or 6 mission on UV and, fuck man, once you have most of the slayer's kit this game just fucking goes. I can't really even describe how good the gameplay is. Everything just flows so fucking smoothly. I struggled hard on the first slayer gate in mission 2 but now I can reliably clear them in one or two attempts.
The one where you not only see the classic cyber demon for the first time but fight 2 of them at once, with a doom hunter after, had my sphincter clenched hard.
I just finished that one, it was super intense and the best fight I had in the game yet.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looking back at it I think Doom 2016 was a game I appreciate more for what it represented more than what it actually was. The game came out during a time people were already extremely cynical about it because of some awkward PR leadup and a multiplayer demo that was extremely poorly received, but the single player actually ended up being a good modern take on the franchise; good enough that it feels like a lot of issues were excused for their time such as the absolutely useless inventory management, the extremely hit-and-miss level design (just because they had a non-linear approach doesn't mean they were good non-linear levels), a large focus on arena-only fights, some pretty poorly placed secrets and levels that kind of blend into one another for a while. 2016 was kind of a tedious game for me to play for any stretch longer than an hour because it's easy for everything to just become a blur, but it and Titanfall 2 made for a breath of fresh air for the FPS genre during the time they came out.

I think that's part of the reason I wasn't super excited about Doom Eternal at first; if the idea was just to iterate on Doom 2016's quantitative design approach I wasn't entirely looking forward to the prospect of slogging through more interchangeable worlds and encounters, but playing it now I'm kind of amazed at how much restraint id showed in reigning in some of 2016's worst instincts while instead applying those quantitative elements to the actual mechanics, and that makes so many more moment-to-moment encounters stick out in my mind more. The first mission where you fight the Doom Hunters; across both of these games that is one encounter I'm going to remember for weeks based on how much it pushed me. The platforming stuff? It's not great but thanks to the presentation it all does stick out in my mind, especially the worlds and levels which have taken a marked step up. There's a lot of benefits in bringing the levels back to be slightly more linear given that there's still a good degree of attention and care given to players that allow themselves to stray off the beaten path.

It's the best kind of sequel imo, where they could've taken the easy route, yet putting some restraints and building around those has ended up yielding a game that actually feels more confidently crafted. As much as "limitations" are only seen in a negative context, I feel like Eternal is a better game with them. There's a lot of games I can think of that limit themselves in ways compared to their predecessors but in many ways end up superior to them (the 3D Mario games before Odyssey are a good example; Mario's movement options and levels became increasingly more restrictive with every game after Sunshine).

Deleted member 11069

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game makes me feel like Id Software/Bethesda can only make good games by accident or when the suits upstairs aren't looking. The game is almost 100% going against what Doom 2016 was about other than the combat.

Cutscenes and exposition? Fuck'em! You don't need that. XP? Nah. Who the fuck cares? A million complicated systems? Nope, you're good. Have a pretty simple upgrade tree. Even the world design in Eternal is expressly made to work for the Doom Slayer. Oh look, a block with a fist symbol on it. I wonder if you should punch it... 2016 wasn't exactly coy about the design being video game-y, but it rarely felt like I was playing a game within a game.

Hell, 2016 even tried being subtle about any connection with prior games. I fucking groaned when I retrieved the Super Shotgun in Eternal and the game told me how awesome it was. In 2016 you got hype if you knew what it was or you got hype after it blows a demon away for the first time. Not because the game puts it on a literal pedestal.

The only thing that they got close to getting right is the combat, and even then I have a million frustrations with it! Maybe I'm outright remembering 2016 wrong, but the fact that Eternal has nearly never-ending (or they actually never end until the big guys are dead?) fodder enemies for you to glory kill and chainsaw--because you are going to run out of ammo and health--just feels weird. On top of that I have a flamethrower, a freeze grenade, a frag grenade, two dashes, and parkour bars just makes everything so insane that I easily lose track of things. On top of that, it feels like so many weapons are "answers" to enemies. Cacodemon? Just grenade/shotgun sticky grenade'em in the mouth and they get one-shotted. Spiders? Sticky grenade their turret and it's gone in one.

I won't get into just how long levels feel and how utterly exhausted I am after a 2.5 hour stint before I can go back to my upgrade-house and stare at the "Unmakyr".

What a goddamn disappointment of a game. It feels masturbatory in the worst kind of ways.

I'm playing on Nightmare, having a good time and I still agree with you.
In some ways its a bit like what happened with Bloodborne/Sekiro or even Dark Souls 2 where the designers saw how people were playing the game, did not like it and actively build traps/removed options in order to force you into one way of approaching the combat.
Hugo Martin talked about how much they hated people just using the SuperShotgun, not moving enough. So this game is a total answer to that way of playing.

The rest of the total overflow of unlocks and systems is probably also a fault of the publisher wanting a battle pass.
You need XP if you want to keep people engaged! Keep them coming back!

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks, both. Yeah, I figure they wouldn't go too deep into it, and I heard a lot of the story is in codex...es? (What's the plural of codex, lol?). Still, I was hoping to see some spectacular return from hell at the beginning of the game. I'm one of the few people that actually liked the Doom 2016 story and is interested in what's going on in Eternal.

Ya unfortunately there isn't a really good opening ramp up unlike 2016. The story has weird pacing issues like that that make 2016's concise yet super fun story shine a bit more. Eternal bites off a bit more than it manages to chew in that regard.

Jellycrackers

Oct 25, 2017
Game is great so far! I think I'm on the last mission.

But hot damn, Marauders are just not fun. Especially the encounters where they throw in other enemies alongside a Marauder. Seems to be only one way to kill them, and the window is so narrow and frustrating. They should have added a way to pop their shields with plasma or something.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

But hot damn, Marauders are just not fun. Especially the encounters where they throw in other enemies alongside a Marauder. Seems to be only one way to kill them, and the window is so narrow and frustrating. They should have added a way to pop their shields with plasma or something.

I agree. They break up the flow of combat pretty weirdly. Backpedaling and just waiting for a green flash. But you can't really back pedal, because you're getting harassed from the left and right. I'd rather he just be how he is in PvP, a damn close carbon copy to the Slayer. Seeing an enemy constantly dash around after you would be interesting. Much more interesting than the shield gimmick.

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017
I already own all three classic DOOM games on Steam, do I have to buy the more recent re-releases to get those DOOM marine skins or what?

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
I'm playing on Nightmare, having a good time and I still agree with you.
In some ways its a bit like what happened with Bloodborne/Sekiro or even Dark Souls 2 where the designers saw how people were playing the game, did not like it and actively build traps/removed options in order to force you into one way of approaching the combat.
Hugo Martin talked about how much they hated people just using the SuperShotgun, not moving enough. So this game is a total answer to that way of playing.

I actually super enjoy this attempt on the combat. I think it makes it more much exciting and once you get more of the loadout you aren't strictly forced to adhere to the weakpoints (I did play on Ultra Violence and not Nightmare, though).

I think the main gripe is mostly pacing which I think 2016 nailed exceptionally and Eternal struggles with a lot. From the on ramp perfect that is 2016's opening to the way the game respects but pokes fun at its story in equal parts via Doomslayer, 2016 just felt really concise yet exceptional. Maybe it was an accident. I dunno, but Eternal goes for a bigger game and overall experience and ends up feeling a bit unwieldy at times because of it.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Lmao, people weren't kidding about the marauder. That's an all-round bad design. Its not even him killing me it's the minions that keep speaking.

Oct 29, 2017
Almost every single negative reaction to this game has been met with responses that amount to "you're playing it wrong". Here and elsewhere.

Is that not possible? I'll never understand gamers who take offense to that statement. When I see someone complaining about Devil May Cry because they were button mashing, or Vanquish because they were playing as a standard third person shooter, I'm not going to take those complaints seriously. This game is very different than doom2016, people just need to adapt.

Maybe the game just isnt for you. I can understand the disappointment with looking forward to a sequel and not getting what you want, but it's been pretty clear from the trailers what this kind of game was going to be. People didnt set their expectations right I guess.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
Really getting the feeling that a lot of people played 2016 on easy. The game play really isn't any different, it's more polished and refined plus the game itself is harder so you have to make use of the game systems(execute for health, chainsaw for ammo, exploit weaknesses). You had to utilize all of these elements on the harder difficulties in 2016 as well.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
Is that not possible? I'll never understand gamers who take offense to that statement. When I see someone complaining about Devil May Cry because they were button mashing, or Vanquish because they were playing as a standard third person shooter, I'm not going to take those complaints seriously. This game is very different than doom2016, people just need to adapt.

Maybe the game just isnt for you. I can understand the disappointment with looking forward to a sequel and not getting what you want, but it's been pretty clear from the trailers what this kind of game was going to be. People didnt set their expectations right I guess.
This is the crux of the issue. You make a direct sequel to a game, market it as a successor, and then release something that diverges entirely from the previous game's approach to gameplay and you're gonna split your fanbase. This exact thing even happened before to the DOOM franchise with Doom 3. The reason 2016 was so successful and well received was because it was a return to the classic style of DOOM when every other modern FPS was following a different trend.

Doom Eternal is not a bad game, obviously. But it's also not the game that was expected from the foundation that Doom 2016 laid out for it. And yes, that means it isn't for me.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Base combat is still great but holy moly are there a lot more things to deal with in Eternal. Not sure how I feel about all these additional considerations after loving 2016's more straightforward approach.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I'm starting to get used to Marauders, even though I definitely agree that they don't really fit in the general combat loop of the game, since he's the only one you have to counter. But I'm getting rid of them faster since I realized you can get 2 shots in per go. Stagger with super, then you can shoot again while he's stunned. Makes a big difference. If he's part of a big group you should kill him last since only the doggo is a threat if you're avoiding him.

At the final mission now.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Just got to a room where I was warned about a thing that would endlessly spawn buffed enemies until I destroyed the thing. Thanks for the tip game - guess there's no point shooting the buffed enemies then and I'll try and find this buffer thing. Ah, it's behind a closed door, I'll search for an entrance then! Oh, there isn't one. I have to kill these enemies you just fucking disincentivised me killing in the first place.

daedalius

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit a slayer gate had 2 tyrants, a doom slayer AND a baron... I hadn't even run into most of those in the campaign yet! This was the Arc complex slayer gate.

I did beat it and it was awesome, I'm not even sure how the 2nd tyrant died but whatever.

the fight in the arc complex after you uh... take the elevator down, was absolutely insane.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It took me way too long to realize there's button mapping. I already beat the game but putting dash on my left thumb stick like it's sprint is so comfortable. I just can't decide if I want my flame belch or grenade on right thumb stick. I use both more than melee.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Just got to a room where I was warned about a thing that would endlessly spawn buffed enemies until I destroyed the thing. Thanks for the tip game - guess there's no point shooting the buffed enemies then and I'll try and find this buffer thing. Ah, it's behind a closed door, I'll search for an entrance then! Oh, there isn't one. I have to kill these enemies you just fucking disincentivised me killing in the first place.

the game just loves to troll the players sometimes :-)

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

If it helps the game didn't tell me at all about the thing that buffs them until the fifth time I died.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eternal is everything I liked about 2016 but turned up to 11. I love the arcadey feel of everything.

Yup, that's the right way to put it. My only complaint about the campaign is a bit of a self-inflicted overhype, as that partially fake 4chan leak and the art book kinda teased some more bonkers stuff (eg. the mechs), plus when they talked about a game twice as long I really imagined like a good version of Duke Nukem Forever, which had tons of vastly different gameplay scenarios and setpieces in which you fought in. Doom Eternal is, for better or worse, the best elements of Doom 2016 turned up to 11. It's too bad they dropped Arcade, arena style multiplayer and SnapMap completely, but it's also the best FPS campaign of the generation for me, so I guess the trade-off was worth it.

Even starting to enjoy the multiplayer more. My main issue is the jank. One match I crash, another one a teammate spawns outside of the map, half the matches have such terrible netcode that I am getting shot by a person who yet has to turn the corner on my screen. It's clearly an afterthought and it shows.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
If there is a totem in the arena, it's 100% possible to reach it normally.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, the first fight against one of them was insane, then they just become a nuisance because you have such a tiny window to hit them. And even then they have insane health amounts, so you have to do that dodge-dodge-dodge-hit dance too many times, with that shield that is some Mortal Kombat input-reading levels of bullshit in terms of reaction time.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If there is a totem in the arena, it's 100% possible to reach it normally.
For the first totem you have to kill enemies to unlock a teleporter that leads there
This is the crux of the issue. You make a direct sequel to a game, market it as a successor, and then release something that diverges entirely from the previous game's approach to gameplay and you're gonna split your fanbase. This exact thing even happened before to the DOOM franchise with Doom 3. The reason 2016 was so successful and well received was because it was a return to the classic style of DOOM when every other modern FPS was following a different trend.

Doom Eternal is not a bad game, obviously. But it's also not the game that was expected from the foundation that Doom 2016 laid out for it. And yes, that means it isn't for me.
Eternal has the same combat as 2016 except deeper and with balance in mind