• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

APerfectOrganism

Sky Van Gogh
Dec 23, 2018
Washington State
If you're struggling on console, I highly recommend customizing your control scheme. Took a moment to get used to but it has made every combat encounter much easier for me on UV.

Jump to L1
Flame Belch to L3
Dash to X
Grenade to O

Having L3 set for one of the main weapons is super useful so you don't have take your fingers off the control sticks, same with jump. And keeping dash as close to possible to the right thumb stick will help with mobility too.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
On the third chapter. I'm enjoying immensely. The only thing that really pissed me off was

Doom guy kneeling when the king appeared

2016 doom guy would have never acted in such a way.
The king appointed the Slayer to the Night Sentinels from the arenas, which allowed him to lead the charge against the demons on Agrent D'nur as he had against the hordes on Earth

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm about half way through level 4 on nightmare and I'm pretty much addicted to the constant rush I feel during the fights. I keep forgetting about grenades and flame belch though and hardly use them, same with super punch I really need to work on that. I pretty much play it like DOOM 2016; mostly super shotgun mixed with rocket launcher and this time I use the combat shotgun sticky bombs for weak points. The super shotguns got that grapple that changes the way I think about fights and I love it even more this time.

This major rush mixed with chill exploration loop has me buzzin.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
I dont mind the Doom slayer kneeling.

Just shows the King must have been a bad ass himself to make the Doom slayer kneel. His personality shows through in small moments, such as cocking his shotgun to scare the hell priests.

I also love how Doom Guy is also cannon in this game.

Absolutely adoring this game so far.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I fucking hate the Marauder so much. I see what their design intent was with him, but fighting him is just awful. I'm through most of the game at this point and have fought him several times and hated each time.

The problem is he controls the fight entirely, something no other enemy does. Other enemies have evasions, some have shields, but with them, it's still up to you how to attack, when, using what. With Marauder, the best you can manage is chip damage unless he does the eye glow thing. Playing this optimally, with the super shotgun equipped, it has the slowest feeling fight out of any enemy because your constantly waiting on him to act and all you can do is try to maintain mid-distance because otherwise he attacks you with the dogs or the shotgun or the energy blast. You only really have an opening when he goes for a melee and that means you are just waiting for him to make a movie instead of being proactive.

And the game does NOT let you be creative with him. His shield is indestructible. You could could directly shoot him the BFG-10000 and he wouldn't give a fuck. When I got the crucible, I though "Great, this will finally give me an easy way of fucking over that loser." Nope. The Crucible can wreck the shit out of any demon in the game....but not the Marauder. It didn't even damage him. It didn't even damage him when I slashed at him inbetween when he had his shield up. He's resistant to the BFG too and I assume the Unmayker. But...why? Other than to absolutely force the player to do his stupid timing ritual.

Like I said, i get the design intent here - with the entire game being based around sheer aggression, having an enemy that is defense oriented and you forces you to play opposite of what you've been doing should be a nice change of pace as well as giving him a unique identity. And maybe that would have been the case if he had been if he had just been a regular enemy. But by forcing the player into such a rigid, expressionless battle tactic while also making him one of the strongest, most aggressive enemies in the game, every time I get an encounter with him, I want to turn off the game and take a break. In fact, at one point, I did literally do that, just because I didn't want to deal with his bullshit.

Doom Eternal is an exhausting game, it takes a lot out of you, but I still have fun fighting Tyrants and Doom Hunters and so forth because, ultimately, they are like any other enemy and I can make my own fun taking them down. Not the Marauder. You will dance his dance or die. So I really hope he gets patched to a less restrictive design.

Last edited:

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Doom '16
d188b33ae4a26ef0817e34e496f23aa6.jpg

Doom Eternal
Bodybuilder-574870.jpg

No one should be playing this game on PC with a pad if you can help it.
Idk man, with the "fighting game" amount of mechanics in this game to remember, I found controller a lot more comfortable
Even then though, I still can't click with the controls, I constantly forget what every button does.
Doom 16 was perfect. Eternal feels like what happens when an unproven director gets a blank check too soon.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Little over halfway in and man there's just too many things to juggle and some enemies are too much to handle in the chaos. I found 2016 way more enjoyable than this.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I keep forgetting to use the super punch and the flamethrower lol. It's kinda wack that you can't beat demons to death with the normal melee attack like in Doom 2016 but oh well.

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Enjoying it quite a bit (and REALLY enjoying Doom64), but I will admit I'm struggling with remembering to chain things. I keep forgetting ammo is tight and I'm not using the chainsaw nearly enough. I also keep instinctively trying to melee every time I should be chainsawing and well... that doesn't end well for me. Everything else is solid - having a blast!

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Between the goofy looking doom slayer and all those menus I gotta say this is an awful title screen

Oh man just got to a part with vocals that sound like Attila Csihar on a Sunn O))) track

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
2016 was my game of the gen but this is better in basically every way except maybe story, but I'm only halfway. Those two plus Wolfenstein The New Order would be 3/5 of my best games this gen so good on you Bethesda. And Prey would be close too.

syllogism

Oct 25, 2017
You basically have infinite ammo if you are using the chainsaw properly. The combat is incredibly satisfying since you are constantly juggling so many mechanics and weapons at once.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
So on my 1X it feels like there is a "lag" between pressing forward and moving forward. All other directions move fine. This only happens in Doom Eternal and occurs on both my Elite v2 and a regular controller.

Anybody else run into this?

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
A horrible case of show, don't tell.
It is very intentional. The story isn't meant to get in the way in these games, but there is deeper lore if you want to get into that. There actually are a lot of cutscenes that provide context, even if slightly vague at times. I think for what these games want to prioritize and focus on, they absolutely do their job, and strike a very good balance.

Oct 27, 2017
hey guys so im currently running on PC I have an asus rog I just started and love it but my eyes are bleeding from either the motion blur or the resolution does anyone have any recommended settings

Deleted member 10428

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Saying this is as big a drop as TNO to TOC is brutal. I hope it doesn't turn out that bad.

Assume you only played the first level which is pretty much a straight line tutorial
Ammo doesn't get plentiful, chainsaw is part of your rotation now and you have to use different weapons

Yeah, pretty much just the first earth level done and it was a bit hyperbolic to straight up compare it with TNC. It doesn't feel as polished as 2016 so far (like TNC).

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this game would be super annoying on a controller. Besides the fact that I'm 180'ng all the time, I almost never use the weapon wheel on PC but i'd be staring at that slo-mo wheel constantly if I did. Took me a while to not fumble all of the abilities on the keyboard though

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Played until 2 am last night. Started on nightmare but dropped to UV. Game is hard! I really like the glory kill / guns / chainsaw loop but am totally sympathetic to those that don't. Combat is VERY different from Doom 2016 even though the core mechanics are similar.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
the game is getting easier I feel, you learn the mechanics, you learn to burn and icebomb often. the double shotty is a game changer, great damage, great additional mobility and armor generation when it's upgraded. the upgraded turret minigun is also a very strong weapon that makes a lot of situations much easier. I actually managed to finish the arc slayer gate on the first try, the marauder too.

an utterly fantastic game, managed to top my very very high expectations.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just played an hour but the level design so far is not close to that of 2016. That one was just so tight. This is like going from Wolf TNO to TOC levels of worse.
I think the game is going to feel jarring at first no matter what, especially since I'm sure so many of us played rounds of DOOM 2016 beforehand.

I have only a very slightly minor complaint in that sometimes I have to turn on the "objective marker" HUD element because I have no idea where to find what I'm looking for, I try to play with as little HUD as possible, but it's only been once in like, six hours.

Also, my god, the easter eggs and secrets are just DELIGHTFUL! I can't get enough of a certain painting and certain folder, I couldn't stop giggling.

Last edited:

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
have they said what they're doing to make the loading so quick? maybe something specific to SSDs? its so much faster than pretty much any other game, even indie 2d ones

Oct 27, 2017
I have this odd psychological problem with my keybindings where when R is bound to reload I can hit it without thinking at all, but as soon as it's bound to something else, I struggle to find it in the heat of battle (once or twice I genuinely looked down at the keyboard to find it). I've had to 'rebind' my brain so I think 'Flame Belch = Reload' instead of the actual key. It's so weird.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I have this odd psychological problem with my keybindings where when R is bound to reload I can hit it without thinking at all, but as soon as it's bound to something else, I struggle to find it in the heat of battle (once or twice I genuinely looked down at the keyboard to find it). I've had to 'rebind' my brain so I think 'Flame Belch = Reload' instead of the actual key. It's so weird.
I put the chainsaw on my usual reload button, because it basically is reloading.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
the Slayer Gate inside the Cultist Base took me forever to complete...the game can be really hard with what seems like hundreds of enemies attacking you...

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
an utterly fantastic game, managed to top my very very high expectations.
Agreed 100%. I think it's a dream to play.

It honestly feels like absolutely everything I'd ever wanted out of an extreme expansion pack sequel that are sometimes made. *

* except the dogshit story, oh god is it like even worse than Halo, wow.

warcrow

Oct 30, 2017
Holy cow!

The most amazing *click* just happened to me with this game. I was enjoying it before, but as soon as I got
Super Shotgun, particularly the meat hook
, it changed the game for me. It changed my combat flow, I no longer am too conversation with the chainsaw for ammo. That weapon and it's Alt-fire is bonkers!!

The really odd thing about it all now, is the game went from Doom Eternal to Metroid in a heartbeat. You know how a lot of us have said that Doom 2016 (and now this) had a sort of Metroid vibe, mostly because of the platforming? It's REALLY hit this level of Metroid for me now. Its SO good. SO GOOD! Now we just need some scanning. :P

The only thing I want more now is
the meat hook to be able to used as a grappling hook, and more traversal--not just enemies.

GWhat a relief. I'm still only on Mission 3, but I really hope they've made massive designs around this weapon and its ALT. Some things that may help.

- Go into the options and turn off the aim assist completely, or reduce it to ~25%. HOWEVER, be sure to keep snap lock enabled. This seemed to help with the feel of things fairly dramatically.

Good luck Doom slayers!!

Deleted member 22002

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I fucking hate the Marauder so much.

Honestly my reaction to the first fight with him was "how did this pass playtesting?"

It has the hallmark of the bad boss fight: built to neutralize the core fun loop, so that you feel relieved it's something you don't have to do anymore, and not elated because you won.

Deleted member 64503

Banned
Mar 13, 2020
So far I love it but damn I'm struggling way too many buttons for a controller, this is why I wanted the back button attachment so bad damn sony.

Edit- havent even reached marauder yet and he seems to make the issue I have with enemies worse

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
Crackpot spoiler theory time

This guy sounds suspiciously similar to someone else we know. Said someone else we know knows a suspicious amount about Argent D'nur, the Maykrs and the history of the Slayer. Said someone says to the Slayer that he can save his people, not our people.

Also VEGA asks him if he (VEGA) is the Father. Per DOOM 2016, VEGA's construction was secret and there's rumours of him being built around some recovered non-human tech.

Even their first names, Samur and Samuel sound kinda similar. Now obviously Samuel has a history of being human, but there's a lot of things just feel off about all this.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
No one should be playing this game on PC with a pad if you can help it.

Why? How else am I going to play leaned back in my chair, in front of my TV? Also, I love controllers. I prefer fun to "optimizing gameplay". If you don't like it, great, you play how you like, but I'm not "no one".

Oct 25, 2017
Still loving this game, but I think the 3rd person cutscenes were a mistake. The tone and feeling of 2016 was better for being entirely first-person.

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
Maybe this isn't the right thread, but do you have to play Doom 2016 to understand Doom Eternal? Haven't bought a brand new Doom game in years, but this is getting critical acclaim and caught my eye

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Okay Okay OKAY

It's not clicking for you? It wasn't for me.

Until the Doom Hunter boss fight. Oh man. It CLICKED.

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I really liked Doom 2016, but do we have any idea how long is Eternal? As a canadian, I really don't like spending 80$ on a game that might last less than 20 hours, so if Eternal is something like that, I might wait until the price drop a little and just replay Doom 2016 in the meantime.
Given how the CAD is trending $80 might look like a deal soon.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I feel that this game is gonna continue to be controversial in its changes quite simply because the entire feel of the thing has changed.

The first game was very laid back. Yes, obviously it was about heavy metal and fast action but it was still the sort of game you could sit back and not stress about. I litteraly for it on switch so I could play it in work during downtime.

Eternal is a very different thing. You have to be 100% focused on it. Its like jumping into a ranked online match, you have to focus on it 100% to play it. Any lapse in concentration or skill equals death even on lower difficulties.

Personally I like both. Eternals style is more rewarding but unlike 2016 I highly doubt I'll replay it unless I'm psyched up to do so.

2016 is battlefront 2 to me. Not as good or rewarding as other multiplayer games but it's the only one I can sort back and relax while playing it, so I keep going back to it every so often.

If you're struggling on console, I highly recommend customizing your control scheme. Took a moment to get used to but it has made every combat encounter much easier for me on UV.

Jump to L1
Flame Belch to L3
Dash to X
Grenade to O

Having L3 set for one of the main weapons is super useful so you don't have take your fingers off the control sticks, same with jump. And keeping dash as close to possible to the right thumb stick will help with mobility too.

Nah man, Dash to L1. You gotta be able to dash without taking your thumbs off the sticks. Its way more vital to your survival than anything else.

I feel like this game would be super annoying on a controller. Besides the fact that I'm 180'ng all the time, I almost never use the weapon wheel on PC but i'd be staring at that slo-mo wheel constantly if I did. Took me a while to not fumble all of the abilities on the keyboard though

The standard control scheme they have is terrible, but it plays fine if you switch it to custom controls. The aim assist is very leniant.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
So on my 1X it feels like there is a "lag" between pressing forward and moving forward. All other directions move fine. This only happens in Doom Eternal and occurs on both my Elite v2 and a regular controller.

Anybody else run into this?

turn "look smoothing" to 0. (should be under control settings, the last entry). game is way more responsible when this is off.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you could skip past all the intro screens and the bethesda login, this game would unreal as to how fast it can get you playing.

Starting a new game is insanely fast and restarting a checkpoint takes like 3 seconds. It feels so great no to have to sit there and wait. Especially since I'm dying multiple times during every encounter.