• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I don't want to look up the achievements, for fear of spoilers, but is there an achievement/trophy for beating the game on Ultra-Violence?

Speaking of, Ultra-Violence is tough, much tougher than its predecessor. I'm on Mission 3 now (or 4, can't remember), and I used up all of my extra lives on one of the secrets. Is it possible to go back to previous levels and re-acquire 1-Ups you've picked up before?
There are no difficulty level trophies. The list looks surprisingly straightforward.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Finally had to bump down from ultra violence to hurt me plenty. Cacodemons will fuck you up if you whiff that grenade gulp.

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Small nitpick, DONT show me how to beat a new enemy before I see him for the first time. Kills the reveal and OH SHIT moment.

Negatorous

Jul 14, 2018
Man I am getting my ass kicked in this game, I need to bump down the difficulty. I don't remember the last few Doom's being this hard.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Small nitpick, DONT show me how to beat a new enemy before I see him for the first time. Kills the reveal and OH SHIT moment.

I think it can be turned off in UI settings, the options seem pretty robust.

I have mixed feelings about the enemy tutorials. On one hand it's so totally "un-classic" just straight up spelling out tactics to the player. But on the other hand, the challenge isn't necessarily in knowing what to do, it's in the execution.

Stuff like blowing up shields with plasma would probably have taken me a long time to figure out, whereas now I know to do it every time and it adds an element of depth. Like seeing shield enemies and then knowing I'm out of plasma, and having to chainsaw a grunt to get some to manage that group while juggling other demons too. The hard counters are such a core of the game that I feel like not knowing them would just be un-fun.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
This game is way better than 2016 to me but at the same time I'm not liking a fair few additions in this, the added emphasis on platforming being one of them.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Played about an hour tonight on ultraviolence and I am flabbergasted by the complaints.

I've died once so far, and that was my own damn fault for charging into a horde.

It's an improvement on 2016 in just about every way.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone run into enemies that are bugged out (not moving/attacking) ? Happened 3 times already to the last enemy alive in an encounter

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have any thoughts on the Aim Assist Strength?

Should I just set it to zero playing on a controller?

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it can be turned off in UI settings, the options seem pretty robust.

I have mixed feelings about the enemy tutorials. On one hand it's so totally "un-classic" just straight up spelling out tactics to the player. But on the other hand, the challenge isn't necessarily in knowing what to do, it's in the execution.

Stuff like blowing up shields with plasma would probably have taken me a long time to figure out, whereas now I know to do it every time and it adds an element of depth. Like seeing shield enemies and then knowing I'm out of plasma, and having to chainsaw a grunt to get some to manage that group while juggling other demons too. The hard counters are such a core of the game that I feel like not knowing them would just be un-fun.

Thanks, I'm going to look into the options.
And I'm fine with them spelling it out, but maybe just put it into the lore section / tips section or tell me once I died 3 times to that type of enemy.
I just think part of this game are these "oh fuck" moments and they get flattened out if a tool tip shows up before the monster.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
I completely detest fighting the Marauders. They seem like a good idea on paper, but they're such a jarring addition to combat encounters. I really don't like how the flow of combat changes when you're facing off against one. It feel like it clashes with the general cadence and pace of the game.

With that said, they sure look cool, though.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Played about an hour tonight on ultraviolence and I am flabbergasted by the complaints.

I've died once so far, and that was my own damn fault for charging into a horde.

I think part of it is that people were largely expecting something very similar to 2016, and this is actually pretty different. Resource management is critical in this one.

I personally think the resource management makes for a more interesting and strategic gameplay loop, all while the action makes 2016 look quaint in comparison.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Can I only use sentinel crystals when I'm at the base? I'm between missions and have like 4 but can't use them anywhere?

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Level 3 did my game glitch.

Just got the cultist key and met shielded enemies. After killing them no more enemies spawn. The map says it's a demon kill room but nothing is happening. Anyone else?

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
I completely detest fighting the Marauders. They seem like a good idea on paper, but they're such a jarring addition to combat encounters. I really don't like how the flow of combat changes when you're facing off against one. It feel like it clashes with the general cadence and pace of the game.

With that said, they sure look cool, though.
i just had my first encounter with him and yeah...i think i am done. even on easy, fighting him was a pain in the ass and the complete opposite of fun. the window to attack him is way, WAY too small/short. i can only imagine how painful this would be on normal or later on (it was bad enough with imps spwaning all the time).

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Level 3 did my game glitch.

Just got the cultist key and met shielded enemies. After killing them no more enemies spawn. The map says it's a demon kill room but nothing is happening. Anyone else?

As you enter that section you see a fence with a green skull at the back, look at the cliffs below and jump.

Took me ages to figure how how to move forward.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, I got a pretty bad glitch here :(

You know those slayer challenge gore nests? The one you need that 4 sided key to get into?

The key for the one in the Arc control center, it's just not showing up. I tried to reload the level and play through it again, but it's just not showing up.

Here is where it's supposed to be and it's just not appearing: https://youtu.be/46__VtpRLOs?t=26

Any advice?

Matchew

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everything about this game is amazing, but two things. The platforming is awful and the nonstop of running out of ammo is extremely annoying.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, I got a pretty bad glitch here :(

You know those slayer challenge gore nests? The one you need that 4 sided key to get into?

The key for the one in the Arc control center, it's just not showing up. I tried to reload the level and play through it again, but it's just not showing up.

Here is where it's supposed to be and it's just not appearing: https://youtu.be/46__VtpRLOs?t=26

Any advice?

You've probably accidentally activated a cheat. You can progress through the game as normal but those slayer room keys don't spawn.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
can you find all the secrets on first pass through a level?

Believe so. Some might be easier/more obvious with replays. At least thats how it was in the first.

Seriously though guys, how the hell do you add friends in this game/bethesda's launcher. I only see people I played with but no player search for people I actually know.

dmr87

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
The slayer gate at
Arc Complex

Ho-le-shit.
The ARC Complex Slayer Gate

abP24JO.gif

OtjcWBe.gif

Oh yeees

I'm close to the end now, it's complete madness.

Dogzillaboot

Nov 12, 2017
Sacramento, California
What rune? I got faster & farther Glory Kills equipped.

You can only shoot like 9 times with it and the game is very stingy with ammo and even the normal shotgun OTKs all enemies the super shotgun does - and that with a big AoE too boot. It might need more hits on bigger demons, but there doesn't seem much reason to use the super shotgun overall. Why doesn't it have penetration? That kinda kills the weapon. I play on ultra and almost die when I pull myself to an enemy, since the pull is so slow.

Seems I'll be skipping it this time around. Feels weird that they would make it so weak. I've been using it as a primary weapon in every other game, where applicable.
The super shotgun is great for mobility because of the meat hook. And it is VERY powerful. I've been able to take our Revenants in two shots consistently. You just have to know where the sweet spot is. Don't give up on if cause it is an amazing weapon, especially when you are able to carry more shots and get the flame mastery for the hook.

Be very liberal with the chainsaw too. That helps with the ammo issue since it recharges very quickly.

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, just started this, yet another game where the text is microfuckingscopic. There's so much empty space on the menu screens and they use tiniest fucking font size. Come on.

Oct 25, 2017
So far yes! I'm on level 6 or 7 and have all the secrets for all the levels.

A tip for others if they didn't notice cause I sure didn't, you can fast travel in the map! As long as you don't finish the level, you can head back and get all the secrets.
Believe so. Some might be easier/more obvious with replays. At least thats how it was in the first.

Seriously though guys, how the hell do you add friends in this game/bethesda's launcher. I only see people I played with but no player search for people I actually know.
ty!

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
And I'm spent, that was a solid 7 hour session. First impressions are wow, what an expertly put together game, it is easily the best game I've played on PC from a technical standpoint, no other game looks this good and runs so perfectly (RE Engine is damn close, though). Doom 2016 was great in this regard but Eternal just takes it to 11. I almost can't believe how well it runs, so often games suffer with hitching, stuttering or big frame rate spikes but not Doom Eternal. I'm very interested to see other games made on this engine (Rage 3 would be great).

Gameplay wise it's super fun but I do have a couple of complaints, the main being how sparse ammo is, there's just not enough, using the chainsaw and taking certain upgrades does help but I still think it should be adjusted in a future patch. The other gripe would be just how much parkour there is, I know it's the new hotness but I do feel it's a bit heavy handed in its implementation, it works well enough I just feel there's too much of it, I want to spend more time on the ground slaying demons, not flying around from wall to wall.

The general gameplay loop is very enjoyable, and I feel the guns and abilities have been spread out really well up until this point, you're always getting something new to play with, although I only have one gun left to unlock and possibly no abilities so the second half of the game may feel a little samey. The weapons themselves are a ton of fun to use and some of the mods are downright awesome (I'm looking at you, auto shotgun).

If it doesn't run out of steam by the end I could easily see myself giving this 10/10 which I very rarely do, it's just that good, and I haven't even tried the multiplayer yet, which to be fair could be dogshit and I wouldn't care as I bought the game solely for the campaign, but hey, if it's good that's just more value for money.

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
Everything about this game is amazing, but two things. The platforming is awful and the nonstop of running out of ammo is extremely annoying.

Use the chainsaw on weak enemy's, never had an issue with ammo and I just finished the 2nd mission. I love how different moves gives you different items off of enemy's. It didn't click in the first mission but by the end of the second it all clicked.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good god, the text size in this game is microscopic. Why do devs keep doing this?

Oct 27, 2017
That explains it for when I reloaded, I put on cheats to get through it asap, but how does it explain how I missed it the first time going through?

I believe the cheats stay enabled until you explicitly turn them off, so maybe you turned them on earlier? Or it could just be a bug!

I think the game needs to do a better job reiterating that you can't do the slayer challenges with cheats. Maybe pop up a message when you go near to where the key should be instead of just not spawning them.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
The super shotgun is great for mobility because of the meat hook. And it is VERY powerful. I've been able to take our Revenants in two shots consistently. You just have to know where the sweet spot is. Don't give up on if cause it is an amazing weapon, especially when you are able to carry more shots and get the flame mastery for the hook.

Be very liberal with the chainsaw too. That helps with the ammo issue since it recharges very quickly.
I tested some more and nope. It has no real advantage for general gameplay sadly. Shotgun Sticky Bombs >>>> Super shot gun. Takes the same amount of bullets too and you have much much more range and it's AOE and you can often glory kill enemies afterwards which is hard with the super shotgun. On ultra+ it's simply better in 90% of all cases.

With double dash the hook is kinda pointless anyway. The CD is horrendous too,

Oct 31, 2017
Never played Doom 2016 but I play a lot of shooters.
What difficulty should I start at?
If you do play a lot of challenging shooters and have good dexterity/mechanical skill, then I think Ultraviolence is the best place to start.

It is pretty hard, fair warning, but not overly so. If it's too much, you can bump it down to Hurt Me Plenty at any point (and likewise bump it up to Nightmare if you are a savage haha). I haven't played Nightmare but I have to think it is quite brutal considering how tough UV is.

I agree. The complaints/pessimism is strange to me. Think this is head and shoulders above DOOM '16.

And I've happened to really enjoy the game's platforming so far.