• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Keep playing for most of those points. The game does stay fairly linear throughout, although there are plenty of secrets to find.

Ammo is kept low to force the player into using the chainsaw, which now always regens at least one bit of fuel to use on fodder enemies. You can upgrade the ammo levels as you go and becomes a bit more generous.

Blood punch is a beefy melee charged with glory kills, as well as the dashing that comes pretty soon into the second level.

The first level is slow, but meant to introduce you to the basics before dumping everything else on you. Trust me when I say once it gets going, it GOES.

Playing on Ultra Violence, it feels considerably faster overall than 2016. The monkey bars, jump pads, and dashing really lets you get around a place pretty quick.

Appreciate your reply!

I just remember playing the prior DOOM (to this) and having a blast from the word GO! so, this surprisingly slow and cumbersome beginning is kind of not what I expected nor hoped for...

Quite happy to kick back with a cuppa tea tomorrow morning, and get through what a lot of folks are saying is not the greatest of starts. A 'skip chapter' option or a fast forward button would do wonders!

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, this is no joke on "Hurt Me Plenty" (what I beat the previous game on). Just finished the first mission and I definitely don't remember dying this many times this early on in Doom '16.

These arachnotrons are really starting to piss me off. I want to smash my Xbox into pieces everytime I see them.
Also, this.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What's the alternative to not using your saw? More ammo in the reserve? More ammo placed around the map? Every time I tried relying on pickups instead of the saw I go empty. Honestly the saw doesn't even feel like it puts that severe of a pause on the action. One second saw animation with iframes then dash away and then continue ripping. I love it.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Repeating for new page and cus no one probably saw my edit;

If you're playing on console, use custom controls to swap the grenade button for the dash button.

Makes everything so much easier as you don't have to take your thumb off the camera stick.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Repeating for new page and cus no one probably saw my edit;

If you're playing on console, use custom controls to swap the grenade button for the dash button.

Makes everything so much easier as you don't have to take your thumb off the camera stick.
Thanks! I'll do this when I boot it back up.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I expect this to get easier on Nightmare once you unlock more weapons, I've played almost 90 minutes and still only have the shotgun and AR.

Luyrar

Banned
Jul 19, 2018
lets go era!

era.jpg

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If someone is having a problem with the Slayer Keys not appearing

It's a bug in PS4. Go to the mission select and turn off every cheat. If you have any cheat turned on, the game thinks you're playing the campaign with cheats activated, even you're progressing. And not replaying the mission. Turning the cheats off solved the problem for me.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Even though I love this game it's also draining and I can't play long sessions. You really have to be on your toes all the time which is fine in the moment, but if you don't regularly play fps games it's a real test even on HMP. It's normal but feels plenty hard to me. The last few missions are gonna kick my ass again but I've made it this far.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
I cant seem to get my collectors edition bonuses working. ive put the code in but I am not getting any extra skins or sound packs. Any fix for this?

CrazyHal

Nov 1, 2017
I bet that there's some game journalism out there that's writing an article title "Doom Eternal is the Dark Souls of first person shooters" as i write this.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah as soon as you figure em out, they start getting stomped. My onlyconsistent issue were the marauders. They telegraph pretty obvious but EVERYTHING else hitting you was made it difficult.

I found out that just backpedaling worked out better for me than trying to dance in their supposed strike zone. Of course they're still a major pain in the ass when you don't have any room to manoeuvre, but such is life in Doom Eternal. Gotta kill other stuff first to kill more stuff.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
I don't want to sound like I'm gate keeping but Doom on Ultra Violence is the best experience you can get out of the Doom franchise.

Except for Doom 3.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really love it so far! The gameplay is so much more diverse than DOOM 2016, thanks to the increased puzzle and jump passages and the more strategic battle system.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Well that's a bummer, I just killed the first boss and the game has bugged, the battle music is still playing and the door is still blocked :/

NVM, you have to jump down the hole lol.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Just reached the end of the ice fortress.
Game has been somewhat challenging despite normal difficulty. Enjoying it a lot. Really, really polished & bombastic.
There's a lot of aspects to it, borderline too many but still it's fun to juggle between it all.

Doom Eternal didn't waste a minute in getting going while Doom 2016 followed a traditional fps layout for a while before it woke up and started throwing epic combat arenas at the player.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only just beat the second level, but I know where my flamethrower and grenade buttons are now lol

Also, I'm not sure I should even spoil this but Arachnotrons
cannot stand automatic shotgun fire up close, and it's very reliable.

Really do love it. Ultraviolence has been exactly that haha. The Slayer Gate idea is fantastic.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So this is weird, I'm on default controls and now it throws grenade on lb and rb is to switch weapons.. I'm on Xbox, the hell?

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
That's part of the issue too, I don't like the constant need to glory/chainsaw kill spam to get health/ammo.
A big philosophy with these games is to always be pushing the player forward. You're not supposed to retreat to gather health or ammo, or need to scourge around, you're meant to keep on the offensive. Now this isn't going to be for everyone, of course, but it is exhilarating, and they have designed it really quite well.

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
The levels in this game are so fucking long. I've got 4 hours played in it so far and I've finished three levels. Also I got event exp for the first two levels but got zero for level three. Is that supposed to happen?

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
This games fucking incredible. My heart is pounding after that first slayer gate but I was kicking so much ass it was hurting trying not to laugh.

That feeling of being like "I've fucking GOT THIS now" after dying a million times, and finally getting to that point there are three enemies left and you know how to deal with all of them. So good, such a table-turn moment that happens to me in almost every arena. Wind up feeling so dominant.
I bet that there's some game journalism out there that's writing an article title "Doom Eternal is the Dark Souls of first person shooters" as i write this.

Totally, which is funny because it's so off-base. It's the Bayonetta / Ninja Gaiden of FPS games!

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
The combat and platforming is incredibly satisfying and much improved over 2016 but man theres something about doom 2016s aesthetic or structure that I'm really missing while playing this rn. It honestly might just be the story , it's not really that interesting.

But anyways, omfg the super shotgun is sexual. it's all I want to use rn! Oh yeah and the slayer gates are incredible might be the most fun I've had in the game so far!

Oct 31, 2017
I'm taking a break at the moment after beating the first boss and caught up with the thread.

Really don't understand a bunch of the complaints I saw. The only thing I can think is that the game is too mechanically dense for some people which makes sense because the game is definitely very demanding.

The only complaint I have seen a few times and agree with is that I also wish there was a way to choose whether to burn a 1-up or restart the checkpoint. Though I guess if you could just restart, most people would hoard lives all game.

daase ko

Oct 26, 2017
Ultraviolence is already plenty hard enough, the encounters in the snow level... I wonder if I'm gonna have problems later.
Feel like I should have got slow mo directly, revenant, mancubus, arachnotron, they all require precise aim for their weak points.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So the game(play) has won me over as I hoped now that I've played a few levels. It is indeed really good, and different from the 2016 game, which is nice. I'm not 100% enjoying how limited ammo is as well as a couple other annoyances (mainly the platforming which isn't much better in this game) but the shooting and combat is just excellent, and I've not even entered a Slayer Gate yet. Those things are intimidating as hell.

But I'm not at all loving the story or the overall narrative/script of the game. Far from it. I am in fact reminded of Shaun Vids' video from a whole back where he feared that the snippets of the story we could glean from the trailers were a bad sign and I'm getting more and more confident that he was right. 'Mortally Challenged' isn't even original for crying out loud. A far cry from the simple and elegant setting and narrative of the 2016 game, this is just killing demons for the sake of it. Disappointing.

digifire

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone tried to claim the DOOMicorn skin from twitch yet? It shows up as claimed for me but its not appearing in the game.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I feel like I will need some lore videos once I have finished the campaign. It feels like 80% of the story is in the codex. They kinda overdid that part.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Ready for another reboot. These are fun and all, but hopefully Doom 64 being included with preorders will remind some people how this series used to play.