• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Question about the suits: Are they pure cosmetic or do they have any gameplay differences?'

Also, can anyone tell me on the rules of the chainsaw - can it still just kill anything (but bosses) in one hit or do you need more ammo for that if you want to use it on tougher enemies? Because in the sheer chaos, I sometimes get "No target" notifications and I can't tell if that's because I'm too far away or if the chainsaw just isn't gonna go through a big guy.

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
Repentless is the ultimate song to blast while killing demons. Change my mind.

Painkiller is in a very close second.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
wtf. I quit out on the third level properly. But the checkpoint the game sends me back to is the first Hell on Earth level.

This is pretty piss poor.

I kind of don't want to play the game anymore

Oct 25, 2017
Game's amazing. Loving everything about it so far. It feels like a fast RE4. Always something to pay attention to. Always something meaningful to interact with. Arenas are designed to make use of your abilities, but enemies can navigate it as well. Despite the speed, shot placement is important and doable, and enemy hit reaction are easily recognized, and the damage they take helps distinguish them. Secrets everywhere and they're fun to find. Always being pushed to be thoughtful, but still have enough tools so you can approach things in a variety of ways. It's so nice to play a high budget game like this.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
Anyone else get a preorder bonus email from Amazon yet? I just received my PS4 copy in the mail but I never got the code and nothing in the box.
Amazon always seems like its a toss of the dice when you get a preorder bonus code emailed to you. Sometimes I get it a day or two before, other times I dont get it til a few days after release, and everyone once in a while I dont get it at all.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Question about the suits: Are they pure cosmetic or do they have any gameplay differences?'

Also, can anyone tell me on the rules of the chainsaw - can it still just kill anything (but bosses) in one hit or do you need more ammo for that if you want to use it on tougher enemies? Because in the sheer chaos, I sometimes get "No target" notifications and I can't tell if that's because I'm too far away or if the chainsaw just isn't gonna go through a big guy.

Suits are pure cosmetics. Big guys require more chainsaw ammo. But no target means you are out of range. Big guys will give a different warning about ammo.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
I have to like forcefully remind myself there's a grenade launcher and flamethrower now. The chainsaw usage I've adjusted to easily but the others I'm struggling, mainly cause of how much I played Doom 2016, where I never used grenades either lol.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
After the end of the third mission, it's like the game remembers "oh yeah, this is a sequel to DOOM 2016" and then it gives you what you came for and then some.

Also,
He is more than a man... he is... he is... doom.
Shit man, I got chills.

Radokat

Oct 30, 2017
I have to like forcefully remind myself there's a grenade launcher and flamethrower now. The chainsaw usage I've adjusted to easily but the others I'm struggling, mainly cause of how much I played Doom 2016, where I never used grenades either lol.

I learned to love the flame thrower and started using the grenade as my last resort.
Get used to it as soon as you can...you"ll need it xD

Such a great game!
Only thing I could do without would be the the "jump and climb" segments.
Loving to use the bars in fights though.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Bearing in mind that I have only played 45 minutes, but I am not particularly engrossed so far...

• Ammo constantly running out.
  • Speed movement is sllooowwww...
  • Hit reactions (when you're hurt) are quite feeble.
  • Melee attack seemingly does absolutely nothing...
  • Despite the big expansive ruined cityscape environments, it feels incredibly linear.
  • Platforming feels less weighty; just kind of hopping about weightlessly, and grabbing ledges is surprisingly hit and miss.

On the other hands, the graphics are outstanding, and the music is absolutely fantastic!

Just wish the game felt more compelling to play, especially at the beginning, but I paid £42 up front for this so, I shall crack on with it again tomorrow sometime.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Final encounter on doom hunter base was a blast. Hitting booster pads into meathooking an enemy feels great, you have a crazy amount of mobility to wok with here.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
I tried the multiplayer as a demon. That went on FOREVER. And we barely seemed to do any damage. Even with the long tutorial I understand nothing about what I'm supposed to do and it was zero amounts of fun. It's a slow battle of attrition where I'm supposed to be really tactical together with my teammate? Ugh, I wish multiplayer modes were made for me, but they never are.

Singleplayer still fire though, finished the exond level and love it.

The slayer battle? Is that what they're called, the ones that needed a key? That was so tense! I just came out of it alive and I finally used a grenade haha

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bearing in mind that I have only played 45 minutes, but I am not particularly engrossed so far...

• Ammo constantly running out.
  • Speed movement is sllooowwww...
  • Hit reactions (when you're hurt) are quite feeble.
  • Melee attack seemingly does absolutely nothing...
  • Despite the big expansive ruined cityscape environments, it feels incredibly linear.
  • Platforming feels less weighty; just kind of hopping about weightlessly, and grabbing ledges is surprisingly hit and miss.

On the other hands, the graphics are outstanding, and the music is absolutely fantastic!

Just wish the game felt more compelling to play, especially at the beginning, but I paid £42 up front for this so, I shall crack on with it again tomorrow sometime.
Keep playing for most of those points. The game does stay fairly linear throughout, although there are plenty of secrets to find.

Ammo is kept low to force the player into using the chainsaw, which now always regens at least one bit of fuel to use on fodder enemies. You can upgrade the ammo levels as you go and becomes a bit more generous.

Blood punch is a beefy melee charged with glory kills, as well as the dashing that comes pretty soon into the second level.

The first level is slow, but meant to introduce you to the basics before dumping everything else on you. Trust me when I say once it gets going, it GOES.

Playing on Ultra Violence, it feels considerably faster overall than 2016. The monkey bars, jump pads, and dashing really lets you get around a place pretty quick.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ammo is kept low to force players to switch weapons rather than just to encourage chainsaw play. The chainsaw is fundamentally less interesting but does bring you close to enemies, although in the first couple hours it seems like it's only meant to encourage chainsaw play.

Also, I think the music is consistently better than 2016's. As far as tracks that beat BFG and Rip and Tear? I think a couple are easily on par but obvs no accounting for taste and ymmv.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
First level it did feel slow to me. After that with dashing it definitely plays fast

And then once you upgrade the recharge time on the dash

message-editor%2F1510896850871-spaceballs.gif

If I had known that that it recharges in under a second, I'd have picked up that upgrade a lot sooner.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
So what's the trick to starting this on xbox? I put the disc in, chose campaign and nothing happened.

edit
It install a 10mb file and that's about it.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And then once you upgrade the recharge time on the dash

message-editor%2F1510896850871-spaceballs.gif

If I had known that that it recharges in under a second, I'd have picked up that upgrade a lot sooner.
I've gotten every speed or cooldown reduction upgrade so far and HOOOO BOY you move fast.

Move faster after a glory kill + dash CD upgrade = doomguy found some uppers.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Hearing the classic Doom episode ending music at the beginning of the second mission brought a big smile to my face.

Ducayne

Oct 27, 2017
so extra life mode is not advisable for first play thru right? I got to the second chapter but already used two lives and would hate to permadeath on my first play thru.

Oct 27, 2017
First level it did feel slow to me. After that with dashing it definitely plays fast

I could be mistaken about that, I guess I am mostly thinking of the dash ability. I was going to say it feels far faster than 2016 does but I also don't recall the first level all that much because I was playing it quite late when it unlocked yesterday.

So are extra lives basically just the Saving Throw rune from 2016?

Yes and no. That rune is still in here, they're more like resurrect from Sekiro.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Only saw the first level and this is already the best fps game ever made

but i only can afford 1 game these upcoming weeks, and DOOM will have to wait:^S
game releases getting crowded despite health advice

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
RE: the ammo debate

Maxed out, you can have 24 shells, 180 bullets, 250 plasma and 13 rockets.

I'd love to have more bullets since it's the spam weapon, and maybe a couple more shells, maybe round the max to 30 or something. Plasma and rockets are fine.

The game tells you to use the chaingun vs Barons and it takes roughly half of your ammo to kill one on Ultraviolence.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Pre-ordered the game on Walmart and got it today for PS4. Haven't installed yet but I didn't get my pre-order bonuses and Walmart is telling me this is an issue Bethesda has to fix. Absurd. :(

Oct 26, 2017
Playing on "Hurt Me Plenty," and, is it just me or is this game friggen hard?
As somebody who was "competent" at Doom 2016 but far from an expert.... yeah, I'm finding this a lot more of a handful on what I assume is the equivalent of normal mode. There is a lot going on in even the most basic encounters.

The whole game feels tuned specifically for people who were already very good at the previous one

Retrosmith

Mar 2, 2020
Played the first mission on "Hurt Me Plenty" difficulty and yeah, those Cacodemons were not joking around. Loved the scenery, didn't care for the platforming stuff, hopefully it doesn't become a bigger part of the game. Game ran surprisingly smoothly on OG Xbox One.

Looking forward to more.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
As somebody who was "competent" at Doom 2016 but far from an expert.... yeah, I'm finding this a lot more of a handful on what I assume is the equivalent of normal mode. There is a lot going on in even the most basic encounters.

The whole game feels tuned specifically for people who were already very good at the previous one

actually, I find this game to be a lot more forgiving than the previous if you play it correctly. There are always opportunities to replenish yourself by using the filler demons. True previous game was pretty unforgiving and if you died, you died. Here there is the lives system, the near death rune, dashing around, the ability to remove weapons from strong enemies, the ability to replenish armor and health much more frequently, and the game always spawns filler enemies when you are low. You just need to get into the correct rhythm. Playing on ultra violence btw.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
This game is way too hard on Ultra Violence. Spent the last two hours trying unsuccessfully to beat a single combat encounter. It's on Exultia with the spider, flying rocket guy, punching guy, cacodemon, and two spiders as the major enemies. It's like there's nothing I can do to stay on top of my health, because the second I go after glory kills on lesser enemies, the major enemies just wreck my shit.

It feels like a red herring trying to get rid of the cannons on the spiders or flying guys, they don't stand still long enough to target even with the scope on the heavy cannon. Because while I'm trying to shoot their weapons away, they're killing me with standard attacks.

Even on Ultra Violence, Doom 2016 was never this hard just the second mission in.

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
It's exceptionally difficult.
I am playing on ultra violence and my mouse hand hurts, the arenas are super intense, not just the slayer gates.

ah, glad its not just me lol

actually, I find this game to be a lot more forgiving than the previous if you play it correctly. There are always opportunities to replenish yourself by using the filler demons. True previous game was pretty unforgiving and if you died, you died. Here there is the lives system, the near death rune, dashing around, the ability to replenish armor and health much more frequently, and the game always spawns filler enemies when you are low. You just need to get into the correct rhythm.
The filler enemies are hardly filler compared to 2016. Here, they can basically annihilate you in the blink of an eye, especially in the 3rd level >.>

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I switched from Nightmare (way too hard) to Ultra-Violence, and I feel like this is too easy now.

Also, I'm having difficulties launching the game now. The Bethesda Launcher is a buggy piece of shit that absolutely hates my PC, and the game itself launches into blank windows or gives me "failed to allocate memory" prompts it wasn't giving me last night.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
This game is way too hard on Ultra Violence. Spent the last two hours trying unsuccessfully to beat a single combat encounter. It's on Exultia with the spider, flying rocket guy, punching guy, cacodemon, and two spiders as the major enemies. It's like there's nothing I can do to stay on top of my health, because the second I go after glory kills on lesser enemies, the major enemies just wreck my shit.

It feels like a red herring trying to get rid of the cannons on the spiders or flying guys, they don't stand still long enough to target even with the scope on the heavy cannon. Because while I'm trying to shoot their weapons away, they're killing me with standard attacks.

Even on Ultra Violence, Doom 2016 was never this hard just the second mission in.
this game is a lot harder because it's supposed to be played for a long time with the GAAS in game events. I think you are supposed to play on the harder difficulties when you finished the game on normal or even easy and have all the unlocks. you can replay all the missions on any difficulty. there are also no achievements tied to this so just play the game on an easier setting. there are super hard enemies coming on in later and I've read now from many people they had to lower the difficulty.

Atilac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just started this, are we the same doom slayer from the first game? If so, how did we get back from Hayden warping us away? I feel like I messed something.

Last edited:

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017

oh, dude, there's an optional encounter on mission 3 that's absurd. Stuck in a tiny room with 3 or 4 incredibly strong enemies (Mancubus and the snake-like things that slash at you) and two lil' jobbers with guns. I had 11 lives, burned through 6 of them before I could complete it (some of those lives were used up only a couple seconds apart)

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
oh, dude, there's an optional encounter on mission 3 that's absurd. Stuck in a tiny room with 3 or 4 incredibly strong enemies (Mancubus and the snake-like things that slash at you) and two lil' jobbers with guns. I had 11 lives, burned through 6 of them before I could complete it (some of those lives were used up only a couple seconds apart)
this game is a lot harder because it's supposed to be played for a long time with the GAAS in game events. I think you are supposed to play on the harder difficulties when you finished the game on normal or even easy and have all the unlocks. you can replay all the missions on any difficulty. there are also no achievements tied to this so just play the game on an easier setting. there are super hard enemies coming on in later and I've read now from many people they had to lower the difficulty.

Yeah, I'm thinking I'll just take the hit to my pride and play it on normal.