• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I'm in love with this now. I have to say at first it destabilized me for how different some things felt from Doom 2016, presentation and story-wise, but now I appreciate it much more because of that. This is some early 2000's cheesy trash.
Gameplay and soundtrack are just... mmmh

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
So.... Game seems to be bugged. Successfully played through the first two missions, got the demonic corruption fully cleared in mission 2, mission completed screen shows up for mission 2, the hub level loads, Vega tells me the location for mission 3 but mission 3 refuses to start/load for me. I went to the mission select screen and only missions 1 and 2 shows up.

Am I the only one whose copy of Doom Eternal won't let me play past mission 2?
Did you pick up the ice grenade on the hub level?

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Quick thoughts:

- The game is HARD. I am playing in "hurt me plenty" and I´m suffering in the first encounters even. I think the game lets you unlock a lot of the abilities very early and you don´t have the practise to use them properly yet. That or I need to git gud seriously.

- Platforming... just why? It is clunky af and doesn´t make the game better at all.

- HDR is fantastic. It just melts my eyes.

However, theres a lot of rip and tear to be done before my veredict. We´ll see.

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
Did anyone preorder the ps4 version from best buy? I ordered the deluxe edition and I need to pick it up today but I never got the preorder bonus in my email.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you using the cracked / no denuvo exe? Theres been comments popping out about mission 3 crashing using it. Similar comments with not having the lastest drivers too.

No, I pre-ordered Doom Eternal on Steam so I'm using the Steam copy. Doom Eternal isn't crashing for me, it's not loading mission 3 at all. I have the latest NVIDIA drivers installed for my GTX 1070.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Any world on Xbox One X performance?
My PC Is a new Ryzen CPU, 32GB ram and a gtx1080ti with an SSD but I'm not sure if that's enough to make it better to get on PC vs Xbox??

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say the only thing I so far like less than 2016 is how enemies don't seem to have introduction cutscenes anymore. I thought it was a nice way in 2016 to introduce enemies in a "tutorial environment" while still giving the impression that the stakes have gone up.

I assume they got rid of them because the game already has its share of cutscenes unlike the previous game.

Oct 25, 2017
So far, I love this game. The only thing I don't like is that there isn't very much feedback when you're getting hit; it's happened a few times where I have gotten stuck in between a rock and a hard place filled with enemies and die -- which isn't really a problem, per se -- but when I'm getting hit back-to-back it's actually really hard to determine which threats are the major ones. As an example, when Cacodemons get on you, there's a pretty good chance you'll die (which again, is fair, at least on Ultraviolent and up), but the "impact" of their bite feels rather weak even though you're taking a shitload of damage. I know it's bad form to 'push' the player around but on some of the larger attacks I do wish their was a bit more oomph to it.

Other than that? This is bliss on Ultraviolence. Feels like perfect combat pacing and design, and though the game does pigeonhole you into playing it a certain way, I'm having a blast with learning how to go with the flow of combat.

Nov 2, 2017
The eternal wait for the switch for version is gonna be annoying. But that's the version I want to play it on, though I do have a ps4.

Loved doom 2016 when I played it on switch last year

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
So far, I love this game. The only thing I don't like is that there isn't very much feedback when you're getting hit; it's happened a few times where I have gotten stuck in between a rock and a hard place filled with enemies and die -- which isn't really a problem, per se -- but when I'm getting hit back-to-back it's actually really hard to determine which threats are the major ones. As an example, when Cacodemons get on you, there's a pretty good chance you'll die (which again, is fair, at least on Ultraviolent and up), but the "impact" of their bite feels rather weak even though you're taking a shitload of damage. I know it's bad form to 'push' the player around but on some of the larger attacks I do wish their was a bit more oomph to it.

Other than that? This is bliss on Ultraviolence. Feels like perfect combat pacing and design, and though the game does pigeonhole you into playing it a certain way, I'm having a blast with learning how to go with the flow of combat.

Doom 2016 had the same "getting hit" feedback problem. you are right, impact is not the best from the enemies, those flying demons punching you when you are close but you can´t feel it at all and suddenly you see you only have 20hp left.

my biggest enemy on nightmare is the fact that i often get stucked on some level assets when running and jumping like a madman, slowing me down and effectively killing me off because of too much incoming damage :-)

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Right. The green thing in the 3rd level, surely you know the one. You punch a thing next to it and a green beam emits from it toward the giant door you need to go through and... nothing. I'm stuck. What am I missing?

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not surprised to see the complaints about ammo count, but personally I love it. Forces you to always keep an eye on what demons are on the field, which ones you need certain weapons for, and which ones are small enough to farm for resources.

In some of the bigger encounters I find myself avoiding smaller demons early on and moving around the environment much more as to target some bigger demons first. I did move away from using the flame belch on smaller guys, and now just use it on whatever I'm about to glory kill since you'll generally get at least 20 armor from something I was doing anyway. The CD reduction on flame belch is definitely worth the investment too.

Still loving it so far. Story is fine for me, and I like how a lot of the deeper lore explanation stuff is tucked away in the Codex and cutscenes are just there to look cool. Looking forward to trying the multiplayer later on.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
anyone else on Xbox have their original control choice not working anymore? It defaults to default no matter which one I pick and I originally chosen tactical.

this is awful

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
So.... Game seems to be bugged. Successfully played through the first two missions, got the demonic corruption fully cleared in mission 2, mission completed screen shows up for mission 2, the hub level loads, Vega tells me the location for mission 3 but mission 3 refuses to start/load for me. I went to the mission select screen and only missions 1 and 2 shows up.

Am I the only one whose copy of Doom Eternal won't let me play past mission 2?
You might have to do some shit on the hub, I remember you have to fight some demons in between some early missions inside the hub.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the camp that enjoys the way to get ammo. I feel like I'm all over the arena, and actually use more than one weapon this time around.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
I love it so far with all my heart haha, but I have ONE COMPLAINT

Why can't I right click to go back in the menus? Having to reach for Esc is a STRUGGLE I tell you, makes me less interested in the menus tbh, hope there is a solution to this 👿

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Started on Nightmare and lasted about 10 minutes before deciding to switch to Ultra-Violence, there's way too many mechanics to get my head around whilst also trying to actually shoot demons.

Getting into the flow now after a couple of missions. I did just remember I have a flame-thrower that I haven't used once since it was introduced however...whoops.

NegroNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have any sensitivity settings for PS4? I feel like the camera doesn't move as fast as the DoomSlayer and it's throwing me off.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
not really having fun. the game itself does most things right: fantastic visuals & performance on x1x, amazing level design (puzzles, traversal, secrets) but they fucked up the combat.

i am just not having fun, at all. i am out of ammo constantly, chainsaw is useless when there are no "cannon fodder" enemies around, the weakpoints sound great on paper but in gameplay its just a fucking hassle. at least with the controller.

its too crowded, requires way too much precision with a controller and it just frustrates me for all the wrong reasons. by the time you aim at a weap´k point, you are swarmed by other enemies and probably killed. and the fucking ammo man...i get it: you want me to switch weapons all the time. but this just does not work. not every weapon is helpfull against every enemy. there are also moments, were i had zero ammo and no chainsaw fuel. i was pretty much fucked.

i hope it gets better with more upgrades but i will probably tone it down to easy. finished doom 2016 on hard btw and loved it.

nillarilla

Feb 10, 2019
As someone who sucks at shooters, and typically gets through them by spamming the same guns over and over - this game is great. I'm playing on the easiest difficulty and it's still forcing me to keep moving and use every single weapon. It's just enough challenge I can handle - hopefully once I get a little more good I can bump it up, but for now I'm having a blast.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
Just like Doom 2016, the map system and exploring all the nooks and crannies for secrets is just so damn satisfying.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Man that one glory kill on the red-eyed soldier enemy. When you attack from the back, spin him around, and impale him through the jaw. And it does that perfect freeze frame right you make eye contact and it makes that chiming noise. I could watch that one animation alllll day.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else get a preorder bonus email from Amazon yet? I just received my PS4 copy in the mail but I never got the code and nothing in the box.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
Just like Doom 2016, the map system and exploring all the nooks and crannies for secrets is just so damn satisfying.
Agreed, but have you noticed also that there's less hidden Ammo/Armor this time around? And so far (Chapter 4), there doesn't seem to be any hidden weapons you can get early through exploration either.

Not a complaint mind you, just something I noticed. Exploration is still really fun and rewarding

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I'm glad it's snappy and responsive. Some games, like Ori, take a second or two to load up then another second or two for the map to close. Doom feels almost immediate and that feeling helps with exploring. Combined with the "green=discovered". Between this map, and RE2's map, I have fun checking every single corner.

Deleted member 11069

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wish there was an option to NOT use the extra live after death.
Sometimes you die early and its not worth it, I'd rather have it for a good run where I need it at the end to clutch.

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
it looks like my order is gonna arrive on time!!! its out for Delivery!!! Doom 64 until it arrives and installs!!!

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
not really having fun. the game itself does most things right: fantastic visuals & performance on x1x, amazing level design (puzzles, traversal, secrets) but they fucked up the combat.

i am just not having fun, at all. i am out of ammo constantly, chainsaw is useless when there are no "cannon fodder" enemies around, the weakpoints sound great on paper but in gameplay its just a fucking hassle. at least with the controller.

its too crowded, requires way too much precision with a controller and it just frustrates me for all the wrong reasons. by the time you aim at a weap´k point, you are swarmed by other enemies and probably killed. and the fucking ammo man...i get it: you want me to switch weapons all the time. but this just does not work. not every weapon is helpfull against every enemy. there are also moments, were i had zero ammo and no chainsaw fuel. i was pretty much fucked.

i hope it gets better with more upgrades but i will probably tone it down to easy. finished doom 2016 on hard btw and loved it.
I only played 1 level but this was my experience too. Ran out of ammo fighting a cyberspider (whatever), there were no other enemies, I couldn't chainsaw it. Had to run all around looking for ammo. It wasn't fun. It probably gets better when you have all the weapons but so far I'm finding this approach to the combat "puzzle" more restrictive than fun in an interesting way.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
My work computer is right next to my home computer right now, and Doom is done unpacking.

Gotta finish work first, though. Bleh.