• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Okay I beat Cuphead the other week but this game is absolutely eating me alive. Any tips? I ask this as someone who's been playing Doom games for nearly 30 years.

Deleted member 22002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have so many mixed feeling, I like the improved combat , I like how new enemies force more interesting decisions while fighting, it's more interesting than 2016. I also really like the platforming in this, it controls really nicely and can be pretty spectacular, but then I'm one of those weirdos who usually likes first person platforming. I also like the silliness of the entire thing, randomly mashing hell, high fantasy, and heavy metal.

As a game, this is a massive step back from the brilliance of Doom 2016 to the kind of dull single player shooter design that killed the genre:
-the levels went back to being dull corridors
-cutscenes and forced pauses are all over the place
-tutorials are very invasive
-level design is very dull with a bit of scattered ammo, and everything being pretty much infinite halo-style.

What i really didn't like though is the new combat flow: instead of keeping up the momentum, you have to babysit the chainsaw and flamethrower cooldowns in order to generate ammo and armor, and basically this kills pacing entirely for me and turned combat from a dance into a shitty MMO mess.

3 hours in, and I'm liking it, but it's not the masterpiece that 2016 was, the overdesigned systems and the regression toward shitty 2000-2010 level design kinda kills it. It's still a solid 8/10 in those first hours, but a far cry from the 10/10 opening of its predecessor.

TaKeRx

Oct 25, 2017
Felt like a badass halfway into the first mission and upped the difficulty to nightmare... I'm about to go back to ultra-violence. What the fuckkkk lol.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
ok first impressions is the music is dope
but what the fuck is this UI and why is the mouse unbelievably sluggish and difficult to use

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I AM DYING SO MANY TIMES.

I'm keeping moving, I'm trying to manage resources, I'm trying to switch between weapons and I am still getting absolutely slaughtered on Hurt Me Plenty.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Had to knock the difficulty down to HMP until I get a better grip on the combat. My 2016 strategy of running around like crazy doesn't protect me from Arachnotron shots and the Hell Knight is way faster it seems. Gonna have to learn to be really effecient with weapon choice and destroying them weak spots before jumping back into hard modes.

Great game so far.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Need some help. I got a two monitor setup and the damn game is launching on my vertical second monitor. I can probably change it easily but then I'd have to login. I use a password generator so I have like a 30 char password and it doesn't look like copy/paste works in-game.

Also game won't launch through Bethesda's launcher, I have to go to the executable.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I don't suppose you could record some footage or stream or something? I'm so curious to see what's happening haha.
I'm being the suckiest suck that ever sucked I guess hahah. I'm trying to make less stupid mistakes and learn from the game, but man there's not much margin is there.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
I love the game so far on UV. Also... I got my code from Amazon but it's only for Doom 64, no the rip N tear pack w/ the Doot Skin/Classic sounds and throwback shotgun skin. What gives?!

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Three levels down, playing on Ultra Violence and having a great time. This game is so mechanically dense that it's seriously difficult to properly utilize everything, but damn is learning everything fun. Precision Bolt is a goddamn lifesaver.

Gonna echo that I love the chainsaw changes. Eternal makes it damn hard to actually horde the fuel to chainsaw a bigger enemy, which is fine to me since it's an instant kill. But to compensate for the ammo being lower it makes it always recharge to 1 so the fodder is always an option for it to be used on. It makes it a choice to stagger and glory them for health vs. chainsaw ammo, or you can combine it with flame belch to get armor and ammo at once...or flame a group of fodder and blood punch to get a shitload of armor but not get ammo from them...etc. There's a LOT going on in this game but the way the systems bounce off eachother is really nice. It makes all of the lesser enemies have a more defined purpose in this game and worth keeping around in a fight.

I also really like everything going on with weakpoints and trying to focus them in the middle of all of the madness. The Cacodemon shows this off well since he's extremely vulnerable to the grenade weakpoint being exploited, but they made it a serious glass cannon to offset that. If one sneaks up by you and starts meleeing, you're super dead.

Playing on 1X, I do think just due to the game's nature that people might struggle a lot with controls on controller. Idk how I'd be doing this without an elite, and though I usually only use 2 paddles I'm using all 4 here. Jump, Dash, Belch and Melee all in reach without moving off the right stick feels really important.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Had to knock the difficulty down to HMP until I get a better grip on the combat. My 2016 strategy of running around like crazy doesn't protect me from Arachnotron shots and the Hell Knight is way faster it seems. Gonna have to learn to be really effecient with weapon choice and destroying them weak spots before jumping back into hard modes.

Great game so far.
Dashing is your friend. Seriously, don't neglect it.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I DID IT. I LEARNED. And it was very satisfying.

You've just got to do everything, all the time, in the right order.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Game finally unlocked but I have to go to work tomorrow and I have to sleep already. Dammit! :(

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
I dont feel this is a positive. I liked that Doom 2016 never took away control from the player

I don't know if that's completely true. The thing that stuck out to me after beating 2016 a bunch of times is how intrusive the exposition could be at times. Case in point, the scenes where you find VEGA or when you get to Samuel Hayden's office feel like they take forever, and both of them give you no control at all. Even worse is that these segments are also in Arcade Mode for some reason, meaning that whenever you just want to go through a level that has one of these story moments you are forced to sit there and watch it all over again.

If anything, I think Eternal improves this massively by just letting you skip any cutscenes you come across. It's not something I would ever use for my first playthrough, but for people who don't care at all about the narrative or who are replaying the game it's way better this way.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Doesn't look like this game is even getting a honeymoon period here, that's a bad sign. Maybe it will do the reverse and get one once people actually finish it.

RyuCookingSomeRice

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2020
I don't know if that's completely true. The thing that stuck out to me after beating 2016 a bunch of times is how intrusive the exposition could be at times. Case in point, the scenes where you find VEGA or when you get to Samuel Hayden's office feel like they take forever, and both of them give you no control at all. Even worse is that these segments are also in Arcade Mode for some reason, meaning that whenever you just want to go through a level that has one of these story moments you are forced to sit there and watch it all over again.

If anything, I think Eternal improves this massively by just letting you skip any cutscenes you come across. It's not something I would ever use for my first playthrough, but for people who don't care at all about the narrative or who are replaying the game it's way better this way.

Yeah its true there were certainly parts were you would be stuck in a small room while they give you some more exposition, that was certainly true. I just dont like switching to a third person camera in a FPS game maybe? I dunno, it takes me out of it you know?

Like imagine in Portal 2 all of a sudden you'd get a cutscene of the blue node telling you stuff instead of him telling it to you in first person, its just different.

Dont get me wrong, the shooting is great and the music is dope, the graphics are great as well. If you liked DOOM 2016 you should def give this a go. Im gonna continue on tomorrow cause im a bit tired now

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where is the deluxe edition content. ? Do t have anything in add on (Xbox ) her on the store the deluxe Pack say « owned »

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I just got past that arena in the third level. Good lord, I must've retried it at least ten times. The difficulty spike there is unreal. My roommate and I breathed a sigh of relief when I cleared the last enemy.

(Playing on Nightmare)

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Getting my shit kicked in on Ultra-Violence. I'm barely efficient at all.

I've played through DOOM 2016 in its entirety upward of 30 times and yet here, I can't do a damn thing because I run out of ammo, am trying to use skills that I don't have yet or I'm playing with the same rhythm that I used in 2016 (run up, punch, shotgun, glory kill, etc.) but here I keep getting caught with my pants down, unable to shoot, out of chainsaw fuel and waiting for my grenade to recharge.

This is going to take a lot of adjusting.

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't look like this game is even getting a honeymoon period here, that's a bad sign. Maybe it will do the reverse and get one once people actually finish it.
It happens whenever a game is even slightly out of the box
Well, then you don't get to understand the story, so that's not really a solution.
I can't imagine someone both a.) wanting to understand the story and b.) not be willing to sit through cutscenes that feel like they're pretty much under a minute. this game is almost comically brisk.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Getting my shit kicked in on Ultra-Violence. I'm barely efficient at all.

I've played through DOOM 2016 in its entirety upward of 30 times and yet here, I can't do a damn thing because I run out of ammo, am trying to use skills that I don't have yet or I'm playing with the same rhythm that I used in 2016 (run up, punch, shotgun, glory kill, etc.) but here I keep getting caught with my pants down, unable to shoot, out of chainsaw fuel and waiting for my grenade to recharge.

This is going to take a lot of adjusting.
To be fair, at the start, you were really limited in what you could do in Doom 2016 too. That game only really came into it's won once you got 4-5 weapons (not counting the pistol). Like, you could stick to one weapon, but it wasn't efficient and it was boring, so it encouraged you to switch. Doom Eternal ramps that from "encourages" to "demands" but we get the same result and these ammo restrictions start making sense at that point.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
OK finally got in the ACTUAL game and fucking shit fuck this is amazing. first impression through the roof. it looks and feels awesome as shit, despite how weird the UI and stuff is. Mouse control feels great too.

question though, why the fuck can't i just press right click to do the alt fire rather than R+LMB? weird decision. Also kind of hope the melee isn't more prevalent than the first one. I like it but i feel like it should not be that common

gotta say, I am stoked to have a great old school feeling 'arena shooter' to play right now. I hope the MP doesn't suck this time.

I can't believe this shit is allowed in any capacity. You are literally keeping people from playing software they paid for because you're forcing them to join some shitty ancillary service.

It's about as anti-consumer as it gets.

Right? It's literally holding the game hostage just so they can pad their user numbers. It only makes me dislike them more. I am not a fan of how big of a trend this shit is right now. I know people say it's 'not a big deal' but it really is. these are stepping stones. If it was optional there'd be no issue.

Guess they got my money either way.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
It happens whenever a game is even slightly out of the box
I can't imagine someone both a.) wanting to understand the story and b.) not be willing to sit through cutscenes that feel like they're pretty much under a minute. this game is almost comically brisk.
I'm willing to sit through them, but I'd be enjoying them more if they were done in Doom 2016's style of maintain Doomguy's perspective. Especially since his little mannerisms felt more personal and affective from the first person view. From the outside, so far (i'm on mission 4 or 5 or something) he feels less emotive than when I was behind the helmet.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
I'm willing to sit through them, but I'd be enjoying them more if they were done in Doom 2016's style of maintain Doomguy's perspective. Especially since his little mannerisms felt more personal and affective from the first person view. From the outside, so far (i'm on mission 4 or 5 or something) he feels less emotive than when I was behind the helmet.
They probably did them in third person because of the cosmetic skins

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Performance is really all over the place for me with this game. One minute game is at 120 fps and another miute it drops all the way to 60 fps and stays that way. Then when i die and respawn it jumps back up again to 120.

Anyone experiencing this too?
i9 9900k 5ghz
2080 Super with a slight OC
1440p on Ultra Nightmare setting,

ZeroRay

Oct 27, 2017
The game doesn't waste any fucking time trying to kill you on Ultra-Violence. Love the tension of trying to get that one glory kill with just a bit of health left. Beat the first level. Can't wait to see the crazy stuff id has in store.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Bethesda launcher has not impressed me, I've been trying to play the game now for the past two hours to no avail.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
And yeah, level design... they feel like playgrounds. Kind of like a Tony Hawk game.

Haven't played Eternal yet so I can't weigh in on it specifically, but that's exactly how I've always described Doom 2016 arenas so that doesn't seem too off the mark or out of character to me.

The arenas were always arcadey (arguably to a fault) and reminiscent of THPS skateparks, especially when they were on the smaller side. Wish I could remember specific instances but there were quite a few where I might as well have been tasked with collecting S-K-A-T-E or reaching 200,000 points it was so spot on.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Finished first level on ultra violence. They really throw you into the frying pan. Very enjoyable so far, but not getting that "oomf" that the first one had out of the gate. I think once I start wrapping my head around systems it'll seem less overwhelming.