• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RyuCookingSomeRice

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2020
I dunno, im not really feeling it so far. Played about three levels and I liked the beginning to DOOM 2016 more. This is also filled with tutorials... which are annoying popups. Then you have cutscenes taking away player control, not a fan of those either.

I dunno its not really grabbing me like 2016 did.

I also feel weaker, not being able to double bash simple mindless zombies into pulp with two hits. Don't know how I feel about so many mechanics in this. The dash, flamethrower, grenade, weakpoints, just feels a bit much all in all.

I liked 2016 because it kept it simple I guess.

RyuCookingSomeRice

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2020
Like I still love the shooting, but the atmosphere is just strange. It's like arcade mode turned up to 11. The level design seems more made for the mechanics involved than the other way around. The UI is fugly as hell and distracting too. The colors are.. I dunno.

Im not feeling it, and it bums me out.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I dunno, im not really feeling it so far. Played about three levels and I liked the beginning to DOOM 2016 more. This is also filled with tutorials... which are annoying popups. Then you have cutscenes taking away player control, not a fan of those either.

I dunno its not really grabbing me like 2016 did.

I also feel weaker, not being able to double bash simple mindless zombies into pulp with two hits. Don't know how I feel about so many mechanics in this. The dash, flamethrower, grenade, weakpoints, just feels a bit much all in all.

I liked 2016 because it kept it simple I guess.
It does seem to forego many elements of design philosophy from Doom 16 regarding story and tutorials, and I'm not really sure why. I really liked those elements of Doom 16. Now granted the tutorials are snappy and pretty instant, but still. I know how to use the chainsaw.

And yeah, level design... they feel like playgrounds. Kind of like a Tony Hawk game. Some parts even more disconcertingly feel like I'm playing a Mario game. I don't know about feeling powerful, but the difficult curve is very steep, even on Hurt Me Plenty (Normal?)

Like you I'm only a few levels in so I'll wait to assess my opinion more thoroughly. At the moment I really, really, REALLY want to like it. Doom 16 is one of my favourite games of all time, and was such a masterfully done reboot. I feel like here they went too far. We'll see.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Game is refusing to load from Steam for me. Hit play, tries to load, shows pause as an option, then flickers back to start. Real confused.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
How is the story handled? Is it similar to DOOM 2016 where you always have control of the Doomslayer or is it more involved this time around? I loved DOOM 2016 but I always craved more story from it. Hopefully Eternal scratches that itch.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
How is the story handled? Is it similar to DOOM 2016 where you always have control of the Doomslayer or is it more involved this time around? I loved DOOM 2016 but I always craved more story from it. Hopefully Eternal scratches that itch.
Sounds like you'll be pleased. Without spoiling anything, the side lore from Doom 16 (particularly the Sentinels stuff) has been massively expanded, and there's now full cutscenes.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
There's a lot of new and original lore on this one. I'm loving every aspect of it (it also feels like a cross between Gears of War and Warhammer 40K).

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
why couldn't this shit Unpack an hour ago? its almost 930 already and it's barely at 50%. probably wont be able to play for another 40 minutes.. booo

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
So far its my favorite fps since half life 2. Love how the game does not treat the player like an idiot. Playing on ultra violence and those slayer gates are toe to toe fighting for your life, priorizing targets, being evasive, being accurate with the weakspots, managing ressources and cooldowns etc.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
You have to be fucking kidding me.

As soon as the narrator said "we will send onto them only you", my One X shut off. What the fuck?

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I feel like I'm going to have to down three pints of black coffee this morning before I even have the reflexes neccessary to deal with these combat arenas. Jesus christ. I feel like the game is spanking me hard
I dont feel this is a positive. I liked that Doom 2016 never took away control from the player
Me too man. I really don't know why they've binned a lot of their ethos from the first game.

RyuCookingSomeRice

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2020
I also hate the emphasis on chainsaw > ammo collection. In 2016 I only ever did that when absolutely neccesary and I mostly saved the chainsaw for bigger enemies. In this Im constantly running out of ammo because there's not enough in the arena's, and I'm constantly having to chainsaw smaller dudes.

That shit is annoying imo and it takes me out of the speed of the game.

Like in this I have to chainsaw 2/3 small guys in a single arena fight.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Done unpacking and now bethesda says an unknown error occured while launching. Awesome /s. Will have to validate the files now lol. Wish the unpacking started before the game unlocked.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
I also hate the emphasis on chainsaw > ammo collection. In 2016 I only ever did that when absolutely neccesary and I mostly saved the chainsaw for bigger enemies. In this Im constantly running out of ammo because there's not enough in the arena's, and I'm constantly having to chainsaw smaller dudes.

That shit is annoying imo and it takes me out of the speed of the game.

Like in this I have to chainsaw 2/3 small guys in a single arena fight.

In that case, use other weaponry rather than relying on one weapon in every fight.

Though at this point, it may seem you're going out of your way like you really wanna go "Fuck, I hate this fucking game"

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Be interested to see how many people decrying the changes from 2016 haven't actually played 2016 since it came out.

I don't say this to be snarky, it's just I honestly felt these two games are extremely similar.

RyuCookingSomeRice

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2020
In that case, use other weaponry rather than relying on one weapon in every fight.

Though at this point, it may seem you're going out of your way like you really wanna go "Fuck, I hate this fucking game"

Not at all, but I guess saying a few negative things makes you think that I fucking hate this game, or want to hate this game, which is honestly ridiculous.

I have three weapons, plasma gun, shotgun and machine gun and I still have to chainsaw 2/3 dudes every fight.

It's not like this in DOOM 2016. The combat arena's are littered with ammo.
Be interested to see how many people decrying the changes from 2016 haven't actually played 2016 since it came out.

I don't say this to be snarky, it's just I honestly felt these two games are extremely similar.

Well me personally I've beaten DOOM 2016 again this year :)

Oct 25, 2017
The chainsaw thing is brilliant IMO. a lot more engaging managing smaller ammo counts than doom 2016, which I was playing recently. Having it happen more often with a shorter cooldown is a net benefit for the game

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017

Idk man I feel like they literally designed 2016 so you could completely ignore all the lore. I also feel like whilst the resource management of health/ammo/armour isn't entirely dissimilar from the first, it's very bloated here.

I've played 2016 within the last week.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The default controls on console feel atrocious, the audio mix seems to be lacking any bass and vibration seems really reduced on the controller. Literally why to all of this?

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
do i really need to make a bethesda account?

Yeah, what the fuck is this bullshit?

I have to go through their shitty account system to play a game I fucking own? I apparently signed up for one in the past so currently I can't access the game because I can't remember the log-in info.

Guess I'm going to request a refund. Bethesda and ID can get fucked.

Oct 25, 2017
Idk man I feel like they literally designed 2016 so you could completely ignore all the lore. I also feel like whilst the resource management of health/ammo/armour isn't entirely dissimilar from the first, it's very bloated here.
I've only played the first 3 levels because I have a job, but so far there's been nothing as egregious as the Samual Hayden office scene or Oliva Pierce behind a piece of glass scenes. The brief 3rd person scenes last like a minute max. There's been so little fucking around in this game so far it is actually refreshing.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn, how did they get the combat balanced so perfectly for hard? It feels like just the right amount of challenge.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Okay, I've been far too negative so some things I love;
  • The game is gorgeous. Like, next gen gorgeous nearly. The colour pops in the way the old Doom games did.
  • The gun design is great, the Plasma Rifle slaps.
  • The monster design is leagues beyond Doom 2016, I love the throwbacks to Doom II
  • THE SOUNDTRACK
Now if I can just git gud, I can enjoy the game I've been waiting for for 4 years.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
The beginning of the game can be rough, I think I found myself 2 or 3 times in a situation with zero ammo and not enough gas to kill the last ennemy (arachnotron) which is a softlock (no pistol). Past the first mission though it's been fine and I love the ebb and flow of the game

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017

Fuck this guy. Fuck his stupid spider face. Fuck his stupid spider plasma gun. Fuck 'im.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
I can't even put in a bullshit email for this game to play because it's just going to link the bethesda account to my steam account. urgh. this shit should be optional

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't even put in a bullshit email for this game to play because it's just going to link the bethesda account to my steam account. urgh. this shit should be optional

I can't believe this shit is allowed in any capacity. You are literally keeping people from playing software they paid for because you're forcing them to join some shitty ancillary service.

It's about as anti-consumer as it gets.