• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I've always been curious, how do you all decide who makes an OT? Is it something the mods task you with?
You can claim an OT over at the OT OT
www.resetera.com

The |OT| |OT|: Index, Volunteer, Coordinate, & Collaborate [Read OP!] OT

The index is up-to-date as of post #4477 on April 17, 2024 The latest update to the index was made 2024-04-17 18:04:20 Europe/Amsterdam ago. (all claims posted are valid whether they're listed in the index or not, as long as they adhere to the criteria outlined below) Skip to the Claim Index...

Oct 27, 2017
Question regarding unlocking via VPN, or rather post-unlocking via VPN.

Used tunnelbear to New Zealand, game is unlocked and decrypted, can I disable the VPN and still play or will it re-lock? Any adverse effects other than potentially not being able to play again until midnight tonight? Might wanna play some FFXIV later as a break then go back to doom if I can.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017

Used tunnelbear to New Zealand, game is unlocked and decrypted, can I disable the VPN and still play or will it re-lock? Any adverse effects other than potentially not being able to play again until midnight tonight? Might wanna play some FFXIV later as a break then go back to doom if I can.
lol, that's literally what I just did. I finished the first two levels on Nightmare and needed a break so badly that I logged into FFXIV to do my daily beast tribe quests.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
aZUSC85.png

Fun little bonus for the game here in Canada. DOOM sandwiches for the next week.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously. Once you get used to the fact that you don't gotta be pin point accurate R6 Siege style and understand that Doom operates at a fast pace and ammo is a commodity that feels damn near unlimited, you'll probably enjoy the PvP. Literally take the rip and tear motto and apply the aggressiveness to online. I really like the fast speed and hectic nature. I've had multiple Ws on both teams now.

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
You can claim an OT over at the OT OT
www.resetera.com

The |OT| |OT|: Index, Volunteer, Coordinate, & Collaborate [Read OP!] OT

The index is up-to-date as of post #4477 on April 17, 2024 The latest update to the index was made 2024-04-17 18:04:20 Europe/Amsterdam ago. (all claims posted are valid whether they're listed in the index or not, as long as they adhere to the criteria outlined below) Skip to the Claim Index...
Oh awesome.

Love the OTs you all come up with! Keep up the good work.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
This game is absolutely beating my ass so far.

Can't say I'm a massive fan of the new story approach, but well see

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Played for two hours on PC and... eh? Not really feeling it. The gunplay, combat and enemy design is top-notch, don't get me wrong, but everything else is a step down for me.

- Story is dumb as fuck and not in a good way. It feels like the stuff they were trying to get away from with 2016. It's missing that satirical tone of the first game. I want to say they should have played it more straight, but they also are in a really bad way. I have to keep playing to see if there's some sort of twist to it all.
- They overdid it with the arcadey elements. I get that it's supposed to be a "retro" game, but having weapons and items just float around just reminds me of Serious Sam. I miss how stuff was embedded in the game world in the original.
- Level design is missing some of the Metroidvania feel of the first game. I think the Foundry level of 2016 was its crowning achievement of design, if that matters.

All in all I feel like id dropped the ball on a lot of stuff here. They should have expanded on the tone and feel of the original, yet they went in the complete opposite way where the story is dead serious and dull, and parts of the design is so arcadey that it just takes me out of the experience. I read every log entry in 2016 and in this I just gave up after an hour.

TL;DR - The gameplay is better than ever, but the world and story is no longer any fun to be a part of. Which sucks, since those were some of the best parts of 2016.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Played for two hours on PC and... eh? Not really feeling it. The gunplay, combat and enemy design is top-notch, don't get me wrong, but everything else is a step down for me.

- Story is dumb as fuck and not in a good way. It feels like the stuff they were trying to get away from with 2016. It's missing that satirical tone of the first game. I want to say they should have played it more straight, but they also are in a really bad way. I have to keep playing to see if there's some sort of twist to it all.
- They overdid it with the arcadey elements. I get that it's supposed to be a "retro" game, but having weapons and items just float around just reminds me of Serious Sam. I miss how stuff was embedded in the game world in the original.
- Level design is missing some of the Metroidvania feel of the first game. I think the Foundry level of 2016 was its crowning achievement of design, if that matters.

All in all I feel like id dropped the ball on a lot of stuff here. They should have expanded on the tone and feel of the original, yet they went in the complete opposite way where the story is dead serious and dull, and parts of the design is so arcadey that it just takes me out of the experience. I read every log entry in 2016 and in this I just gave up after an hour.

TL;DR - The gameplay is better than ever, but the world and story is no longer any fun to be a part of. Which sucks, since those were some of the best parts of 2016.
I agree on the story, it feels like they got too high off their own supply. It's a weird mix of trying to elicit nostalgia for the old games alongside a story that really doesn't seem to suit "Doom".

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Oh god that first boss fight

"Did you like fighting that fucking guy? WELL CONGRATS HERE'S TWO MORE OF THEM"

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wish Invasion was in. Now that I have an idea of how the netcode is and what it's like fighting somebody jumping around maniacally.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I feel that, but I think it's more of the presentation than the content. I applaud them for trying to expand past the generic DOOM formula, but the whole Saturday morning cartoon approach isn't really doing it for me.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
i having trouble with the encounter
in the pit before you get the super shotgun
how am i supposed to do that with little to no room to maneuver? ugh.

edit: of course i clear it right after posting.

Dec 4, 2018
I'm so annoyed my copy which is scheduled to arrive tomorrow by 8 pm (PC) may be getting delayed according to an Amazon email. I'm debating just canceling / returning and paying extra for the digital version.

Played the first one on Game Pass. Loved it. I'm being impatient for the next one.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
will Eternal have the same structure as far as secret areas etc- Classic Doom maps, Rune Trials, DoomGuy collectibles, Elite guard keys etc

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

As others have said, I just played it in Japan time, and now my wife is playing Witcher 3 as if I hadn't unpacked the game and played the first level.

At 1440p on Ultra Nightmare, I'm getting a flawless 60fps experience- and it's wonderful.

Egg0

Oct 25, 2017
I've only booted up to the main menu and it's like a tonal shift from 2016 to Eternal. If I remember right, the menu in 2016 was all red and metal. Eternal's all colors and has doom guy just standing there lol

Still excited to start it in a bit.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally found the code for the second unlockable game on the old school PC in the Fortress hub. It's
flynntaggart
and it unlocks
a full playable version of Doom II

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I'm an hour in and surprised to say I'm not yet fully convinced. The environments look spectacular, of course. The soundtrack is as good as ever. It's dishes out the enemy types and weapons quickly and the challenge feels noticeably higher than the last game so far.

On the other hand I'm finding it weird how fucking scarce the ammo is (playing on UV difficulty) from the start, I guess they're trying to promote chainsaw use but I am constantly running out of ammo fighting something I don't have enough chainsaw juice to kill. Hopefully that will improve as I get more upgrades. Limiting you to 16 shotgun rounds feels weirdly stingy with how many enemies are present right from the start and how early you have a full auto shotgun.

Additionally, it feels a tiny bit buggy for me so far. I've already had enemies not drop any health when glory killed a couple of times, I've had a hell knight just... not be glory killable while down and flashing, and I've also witnessed enemies just move at 1 billion mph across gaps instead of playing jump animations.

It also feels really videogamey. Which I guess they were going for, but it's quite jarring, it leans a little too far on the "this is a video game combat arena" versus looking like a cohesive location at times. Like there was a struggle between the level design blockout and the world art team and the world art team lost. It's also a bit cartoony and the story is already baffling.

Hopefully it'll gel a bit more as I play more.

Oh, it runs awesomely on my machine. i5-6500, 1660ti and nightmare settings barely sweating. The V-Sync implementation doesn't feel good at all though, very noticeably input laggy so I'd recommend using RTSS to lock to 60 instead.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I'm an hour in and surprised to say I'm not yet fully convinced. The environments look spectacular, of course. The soundtrack is as good as ever. It's dishes out the enemy types and weapons quickly and the challenge feels noticeably higher than the last game so far.

On the other hand I'm finding it weird how fucking scarce the ammo is (playing on UV difficulty) from the start, I guess they're trying to promote chainsaw use but I am constantly running out of ammo fighting something I don't have enough chainsaw juice to kill. Hopefully that will improve as I get more upgrades. Limiting you to 16 shotgun rounds feels weirdly stingy with how many enemies are present right from the start and how early you have a full auto shotgun.

Additionally, it feels a tiny bit buggy for me so far. I've already had enemies not drop any health when glory killed a couple of times, I've had a hell knight just... not be glory killable while down and flashing, and I've also witnessed enemies just move at 1 billion mph across gaps instead of playing jump animations.

Hopefully it'll gel a bit more as I play more.

They want you to farm the fodder zombies more, not necessarily chainsaw the bigger guys. It auto-regens to 1 fuel now so you can always have juice for that.

But yeah, I basically chainsawed more in the first two levels than I did in all of 2016.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im getting wrecked on ultra violence. And ive beaten 2016 on that difficulty numerous times. Ammo is super scarce, and i rarely have enough chainsaw fuel to refill. Plus im stuck on one encounter in the cultist base which drops you into a super small room and just loads it with enemies, i can get maybe 75% of the way through it but by the time the two mancubus's come in im aboslutley fucked. Its more frustrating than fun after like 12 attempts

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
They want you to farm the fodder zombies more, not necessarily chainsaw the bigger guys. It auto-regens to 1 fuel now so you can always have juice for that.

But yeah, I basically chainsawed more in the first two levels than I did in all of 2016.
It's pretty telling that they give you the chainsaw almost immediately after starting the game. They want you to use it.

Oct 27, 2017
Ever so slightly concerned about some of the early feedback before I dive into this.

The problem I've had with Eternal from the moment they announced it is that I like Doom 2016 too much. It's one of those games for me that for what it is, and what it's trying to do, it nails to such a degree that it's essentially perfect. I've been fearing for a while that even subtle tweaks or attempts to expand beyond what Doom 2016 is might knock things out of kilter.

Still excited, but keeping expectations in check.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
all these posts making me glad i'm not going to play on UV, doesn't sound like a very good time at the moment

any word if you can skip the story shit? if it's overwhelmingly cheesy and time consuming I hope I can skip through that stuff easily

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Idk what the story is even about. I'm here for the gameplay. I also shared the same sentiment for 2016. Hasn't bothered me a bit.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I've only played through the first two levels, but the story didn't bother me that much. It's pretty average, but that's about it.