• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I personally couldn't stand the game but loved the previous installment. Hopefully they can make a better game next

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Whether it was Gamepass or Stadia i think it doesn't matter a lot here because those things are usual where you get ports for other platforms or gamepass which like is a common name to hear these days for titles like DOOM Eternal imo but what matters the most is how much revenue the game generated which increases the possibility of the franchise being continued!

Totally, game clearly did really well and I'd include deals around things like Stadia and Game Pass part of that. People wanted a new Doom! Both fans and platform holders.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
That's awesome. I'm assuming that counts their GamePass deal since it came to the service before the acquisition right?

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
Completely deserved for such a masterpiece in FPS mechanics. Eternal is also, continuing straight from 2016, the most well optimized game that I've ever played. 4K 60 with everything maxed out, and it loads in like 5 seconds? Like, what? ID are wizards, and Eternal is a glorious game.

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
Is it really that great for game hyped to the moon and back?
Thats like 2.5M per platform even less if dlc is included (likely it is). Maybe its more copies since it received price cut long ago.

Good game though. Deserves more.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not played it as I'm waiting on the next gen patch!

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Thats like 2.5M per platform even less if dlc is included (likely it is). Maybe its more copies since it received price cut long ago.

Uh that's a lot lol?

6-7M in less than a year for what is mostly a single player FPS is massive.

Doom 3 was at 3.5M at the beginning of 2007 for comparison and that was the highest for the franchise at that point.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
Only game I've pre-ordered/bought day one in past 15 years (unless you count backing Shenmue III on Kickstarter). Absolutely loved it, never touched the multiplayer, though. I haven't played it since April, though, makes my heart race and gets my adrenaline pumping to ridiculous levels. Will dive back in once the DLC is deeply discounted.

element

Oct 27, 2017
At $60 per copy, that's 7.5 million sales.

If it's including extra revenue from Ancient Gods and Deluxe editions, then it's a lower sales figure.
Math is a little wonky.

1. Closer to $35 per unit after retailer, platform costs and other costs.
2. Monetization Designer role is designing systems for purchases AFTER someone owns it, so increasing ARPPU.

Given the type of game, if they were able to generate $100m revenue from fans who already bought the game, that would be a huge win.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017

i would argue it wasn't particularly hyped at all. bethesda/zeni tends to throw games out there without trillion $ super bowl ads or whatever

probably did fine for what it is. not like doom was ever a cashcow post mid 90s

OP
OP
AshenOne

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Math is a little wonky.

2. Monetization Designer role is designing systems for purchases AFTER someone owns it, so increasing ARPPU.

Given the type of game, if they were able to generate $100m revenue from fans who already bought the game, that would be a huge win.
Bear in mind, around launch its physical sales weren't exactly good at all. So it mostly sold digitally on PC and Consoles likely and also sold 3m digital units in March, 2020 according to SuperData. So retailer costs might not be a lot here unlike other big titles also Covid really helped it sell more digitally than physically way back in march last year because of the lockdown.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit that means the game was stupidly profitable then as I highly doubt it even cost $150 million. Way more than I thought. Congrats to ID.

GOOCHY

Oct 29, 2017
I'm going to take another run at it when the PS5 update is released. I kind of bounced off of it after loving 2016.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved! I thought the campaign was even better than 2016's. I especially love the addition of dashing and all the platforming stuff. Can't wait for the 2nd half of Ancient Gods.

Oaklight

Avenger
Jun 16, 2018
Well deserved. Doom Eternal is probably my favorite FPS of all time and is easily my favorite FPS combat in any game I've ever played. It really is in a league of its own and I can't wait for the second part of ancient gods to arrive.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
One of those "it's the kids who are out of touch" moments for me. I think this game sucks and it was one of my biggest disappointments, but it made a lot of money. So I'm the one who's wrong.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
I should really continue my playthrough. I kinda hate how I feel like I never have enough health or ammo most of the time compared to 2016 :/ I still haven't seen a marauder yet too so idk how my opinion will change after that

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Math is a little wonky.

The game doesn't actually have anything in the way of microtransactions. The only post-release monetisation is the two-part Ancient Gods expansion.

Edit: Oh, and the pre-order bonus was made available separately. But, yeah, both are sold directly on digital stores, not in-game with a premium currency a la Rage 2.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
That's pretty neat. One of the bigger shooters out there then, I take it.

I just finished up my second playthrough tonight—first was on HMP, this one was on UV. Think I might start Nightmare soon!

Is there a thread where this game is regularly talked about

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
That's pretty neat. One of the bigger shooters out there then, I take it.

I just finished up my second playthrough tonight—first was on HMP, this one was on UV. Think I might start Nightmare soon!

Is there a thread where this game is regularly talked about

There's an OT, but I've been avoiding it lately as I haven't played The Ancient Gods yet, so beware if you want to avoid spoilers:

ginge

Jul 23, 2020
you need to account for the platform holders cut when determining the number of units sold btw, the platform holders cut doesnt add to bethesdas revenue

so 450/60/0.7 = ~10.7m copies at the low end

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Decent enough numbers for the best FPS ever I guess. Should get a little boost from the next gen patch and DLC2 too.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved for the best FPS in history.
I wasn't going to go that far because some people have preferences and biases but yes, it is by far the best most frenetic most fucking awesome glory kill of a demon killing FPS there ever was, definitely the best I can remember playing since the times when Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament and Tribes ruled the 56k bandwidth.

Doom Eternal on Ultra Violence is wild. 😆