• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
DOOM Eternal generated over $450 Million in the first 9 months of release according to a former ID Software Employee's Linkedin.

doometernal450mpic.png

Source: ID Software's former employee's Linkedin

Edit: Just want to add in the information that It had a Launch Day Concurrent Player Record of 104,891 players on STEAM.

Important Update:

Apparently the former IDtech employee got this data from SUPERDATA:

Last edited:

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Great numbers, though as someone that did buy the game day one due to my enjoyment of DOOM 2016, I'd have a lot of reservations about doing the same for its successor.

I guess it will be on Game Pass though, so that sorts that problem.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Besides the game and the stand alone expansions (if those count?)....what other monetization did Doom Eternal have?

I didn't hear much noise about microtransactions...

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh dang, I remember the word around DOOM Eternal being kind of quiet, but I'm glad that turned out for the best.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
That's very good! I am very curious how the dlc sold, since those seem to be very focused on a certain type of player while leaving a part of the fanbase behind. I really hope that a Doom 3 walks that back a bit, for example with more difficulty options. Even easy in the dlc is not actually easy.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm....I can see this info being used as ammunition in a certain (dumb) argument in the future...

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Third of that went to platform holders, and stores kept a bit of it for retail copies.

Even still, game made tons of money for Zenimax.

_Aaron_

Oct 29, 2017
At $60 per copy, that's 7.5 million sales.

If it's including extra revenue from Ancient Gods and Deluxe editions, then it's a lower sales figure.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
So, that means it sold somewhere in the ballpark of 7m copies, give or take a little? Pretty impressive. I have yet to play the game, despite loving 2016. Don't think I can handle the spike in adrenaline these days since most of my gaming occurs before bed. Pretty cool though.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Holy shit wow, that's insane

It felt like it released and disappeared, though I absolutely loved it i'm surprised. Good stuff

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
i hate it when publishers use revenue to show how much a product sold

like, just say 7.5 million copies. that's still an impressive number! lol

Oct 25, 2017
Excellent news. Really looking forward to Ancient Gods Part Two, hope it's as good as the first DLC.

My favorite FPS of all time, and one of the finer action games ever made as well.

GOTY 2020.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
We need that budget and sales target. I would assume this surpasses expectations but who knows. Definitely doesn't matter all that much now that it will be Game Pass fodder which I mean in the most positive way possible. I also suspect that number includes whatever Microsoft paid Bethesda to have the game on Game Pass.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
So, that means it sold somewhere in the ballpark of 7m copies, give or take a little? Pretty impressive. I have yet to play the game, despite loving 2016. Don't think I can handle the spike in adrenaline these days since most of my gaming occurs before bed. Pretty cool though.

It's definitely not a game to play just before bed since it has MANY systems to juggle, much more than 2016. That kinda breaks the game for certain people (including me).

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
It's just an era bubble thing. If you check anywhere out of here, it's not really that split.

Eh, I wouldn't say that, leaning into making it more difficult/skill based did make it a bit more controversial than the last game, but the Doom name still carries a lot of weight.

It's showing up as one of the top sellers of the year on Steam made me realize that it definitely did well.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I should probably buy the DLC, but I'm waiting on them to release the next-gen version

Jan 4, 2018
Deserved. Probably did big numbers on Game Pass too.

I wonder what will be next project for id Software after The Ancient Gods Part 2 (I didn't play Part 1 yet, I'm waiting for Part 2, so I don't know if it aims to conclude the story).

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Happy it did well. What a fucking game. Even more than the first one, when the heat is on, it puts me in a trance. A battle high.

Oct 25, 2017
So deserved. It's an incredible game. One of the best games ever made. The more time it passes, the more i appreciate how much it gets right. Also: fucking incredible DLC.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Besides the game and the stand alone expansions (if those count?)....what other monetization did Doom Eternal have?

I didn't hear much noise about microtransactions...

Nothing whatsoever. All of the unlockable skins and the like are XP milestone rewards, and there's no in-game store from which to purchase boosters or anything of the sort.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AshenOne

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
I wonder how much of that was paid by Google for the Stadia port... šŸ˜
Good point LMAO.

I'd think so. Just says revenue, doesn't say 'from sales'.

Whether it was Gamepass or Stadia i think it doesn't matter a lot here because those things are usual where you get ports for other platforms or gamepass which like is a common name to hear these days for titles like DOOM Eternal imo but what matters the most is how much revenue the game generated which increases the possibility of the franchise being continued!