• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shakerovic

Apr 26, 2019
According to our estimates, Doom Eternal has sold over 700K units on Steam alone in its first week of launch, beating out all other Steam releases of 2020 so far.
The action-packed shooter continues to sell well, topping Steam's top seller charts despite being a week old release. This is likely a result of COVID-19 prevention measures, which are causing many worldwide to spend their time at home, enjoying various home entertainment and driving Steam to record concurrent user numbers over the past few weeks.
We estimate XBOX and PlayStation sales for Doom Eternal to be in the 250-400 thousand range each. PC is by far the best performing platform for Doom Eternal, which is not a surprise given the series' history on the platform.

playtracker.net

Doom Eternal rips and tears through competition, sells over 700K on Steam

It also sold ~250-400K on XBOX and PlayStation each.

Luyrar

Banned
Jul 19, 2018
well deserved.

game is a blast and one of the best exemples of what AAA means imo.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Why should we believe in this data? Never heard of the site and they only talk about estimates.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Day 1 PC release is the future for all games imo, it's too big a market to ignore.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Yeah why should we believe these estimates? I'm sure the game did well but there really isn't anything to tell us this is correct.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
What's their methodology for tracking sales on console?

This.

I want Doom Internal to do well and I'm sure it's sold pretty well because it's a great game that was well received by critics and fans, but I'd be careful posting links to websites that post numbers without clear methods behind them.

250-400k is a huge range for an estimate too. The upper end being almost double the lower. The kind of range you could pull from thin air and still have fair odds of being correct.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017

It works like Steamspy, they scan Steam/Xbox Live/PSN accounts for achievments and estimate based on that. Not 100% accurate but there were many developers who said Steamspy was pretty close to real numbers. I believe the Xbox gamebar is also used for PC, which can track some games on other platforms like Epic Game Store.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
250-400k on both consoles? That could be upwards of 300k in error. Is that normal when tracking these things?

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
250-400k on both consoles? That could be upwards of 300k in error. Is that normal when tracking these things?
I think that's the reason why we don't track things this way. After Valve patched the Steamspy tracking method they were reduced to listing very broad sales figures like this (such as between 1-2 million sales etc) and people promptly stopped paying attention to it. Basically unless they have concrete, non approximated data, which they don't, I'm not going to give it any credibility.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
No? Its all 'estimated' with all the profile based data from steam and other PC store based user profiles and achievements and for consoles also.

They're not claiming to be objective in any way.. Just an estimate and going by their methodology it might not be that accurate but in no way is is it made up shit.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
And that's on Steam, I wonder how many people bought the £30 Bethesda keys that were being sold on all the key sites.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
The world's smallest sample size apparently:
PlayTracker grabs data from all your linked platforms and displays all your games, achievements, playtime, and other available stats in one place.

Connect your Steam, PlayStation Network, XBOX Live, Origin, GOG, Overwatch, and Guild Wars 2 accounts with more to come in the future.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
It's going to be my GOTY probably. Well deserved.

The very weak ending soured it for me, but it was still incredible, the best made PC I've ever played for sure. It was just nice playing a game that well made, when so many games suffer with technical issues.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I can't wait to play it but I have enough on my plate with HL Alyx. I'll save it for later, when I can hopefully splurge on an Ultrawide monitor and an RSX card

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
Aside from this being completely unreliable... wouldn't these numbers be really low?! 700k+ at best 800k on consoles = only 1.5 million first week. I thought it was a much bigger franchise than that?

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from this being completely unreliable... wouldn't these numbers be really low?! 700k+ at best 800k on consoles = only 1.5 million first week. I thought it was a much bigger franchise than that?

It's missing most non-Steam sales, since most of those are Bethesda.net keys. (Buka regions RU/CIS etc. gets Steam key though)

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Doom 2016 didn't light the world on fire in terms of sales at launch, but it had long legs. These numbers are 100 percent wrong but even 1.5m at launch would probably be a massive incrrase.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Doom 2016 didn't light the world on fire in terms of sales at launch, but it had long legs. These numbers are 100 percent wrong but even 1.5m at launch would probably be a massive incrrase.

Doom 2016 launch had zero hype as prerelease marking focused entirely on bad stuff (MP) instead of good stuff (SP).

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland

Have you ever read about sales of almost all of recent Bethesda releases? If this is true, then Eternal sales are much better than most of their games released between 2017-2020. Wolfenstein 2, Dishonored 2, The Evil Within 2 and RAGE 2 had one thing in common beside being a sequel, apparently they all underperformed at launch.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Completely unreliable source, since bethesda is private and doesnt have to(and thus mostly doesnt) release data.

But 1.5M seems low even for made up numbers.
AC managed more than that retail in japan alone, WW Doom has to be better than that at least.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I'd imagine a significant percentage of PC players are not playing the Steam version.

Like me, they bought a Bethesda.net key via the likes of CDKeys because it was much cheaper (£30 instead of £50). So I'd imagine the total PC sales are significantly higher.