• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
Update: Completed

https://twitter.com/mrmodelcitizen/status/1137105210755637248

D8fPKCkVsAAaR_S.jpg

r/Doom

XCe42ZQ_d.jpg

*heavy metal builds up*

r/Doom

e5zrm3un20231.jpg

Ya boy is visible now

Last edited:

Deleted member 54320

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
I tried getting into DOOM 2016 but I couldn't. I had fun playing it, and absolutely smashing up demons but I needed something a bit more.

It sounds dumb but I have a hard time just enjoying FPS' like these if there's no story involved. Guess I'm looking for DOOM 3? Although I never played that.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
The Figueroa Hotel. That means they really want to push this game.

Oh yeah, last year they had Fallout 76... Ugh

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
they revealed this way too early. why announce it at last E3? should've just waited until this one. a year of waiting for nothing. oh well.

day 1 purchase for me. absolutely loved Doom 2016. easily my favourite FPS game.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
I dislike FPS games but legitimately loved Doom 2016, after that one Bethesda has my trust, I'm there day one for Eternal. I wonder how the completed banner is going to look like, great choice of game

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
I've heard mixed things about the game. Perhaps I wasn't in the right headspace to enjoy the 2016 version of DOOM. Might be worth looking back at once I have some free time.
the game took me like 10 hours to get through the story. you could probably get through it quicker than that (i died a lot).

Apenheul

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I tried getting into DOOM 2016 but I couldn't. I had fun playing it, and absolutely smashing up demons but I needed something a bit more.

It sounds dumb but I have a hard time just enjoying FPS' like these if there's no story involved. Guess I'm looking for DOOM 3? Although I never played that.
Haha for my taste there was almost too much story involved :) I think DOOM 2016 shines when you play it on a higher difficulty level, the free running-like pacing and mobility made it stand out for me.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017

You and me both, in general I need a story to keep me interested. Or at the very least the ability to create my own head canon or whatever (like in XCOM).

Deleted member 54320

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
Uncharted 4 and Doom 2016 launching the same week was crazy because you got to see both of the extremely divergent sides of the shooter family tree, both done with high budgets, and both considered to be outstanding examples of what they are by critics.
I played both and finished Uncharted 4. Although Uncharted 4 annoyed me at times, I still enjoyed that a lot more just because there was a story (obviously). I know DOOM 2016 is fun but its not the kinda fun that can keep me hooked till completion.

Nov 8, 2017
I played both and finished Uncharted 4. Although Uncharted 4 annoyed me at times, I still enjoyed that a lot more just because there was a story (obviously). I know DOOM 2016 is fun but its not the kinda fun that can keep me hooked till completion.

It's different from how I felt, but I understand that everyone wants different things out of games. I like stories, but in general I prefer it to be subservient to the gameplay. Doom and Uncharted were coming at it from opposite ends, at least that's how it felt to me. Uncharted 4 kept frustrating me because it so rarely let me cut loose and enjoy myself, always eager to shepherd me back into a scripted sequences or climbing / walking / driving bits to give the characters more time to chat.

But different strokes for different folks and all that. Not everyone has to like every game!

Jasper

Mar 21, 2018
Netherlands

Hey I'm with you on wanting stories in games, but DOOM's shooting was so darn addictive that I didn't actually mind. A bit more story to keep the sequel interesting wouldn't hurt though.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ

So what do you think of Mario Odyssey, since it has such a riveting plot?

All jokes aside, Doom isn't a game, or series, you play for story though. It's there, but that isn't the point. It isn't a narrative driven game. So saying you couldn't get into it because of its lack of overt story telling is strange criticism, because the game doesn't really ever aim to be focused on the story in the first place. In fact, your character's actions, in the very beginning and throughout the game, make it very clear they have no interest in exposition from others. I mean, when has Doom ever been known to be a bastion of masterful story telling?

As for Uncharted 4, I'd argue it's plot was basic, boring, it's characters unlikable and woefully unoriginal. I mean, it's Indiana Jones, the video game, with pretty graphics. It ain't deep. There isn't anything Oscar worthy there. And yet, it IS trying to be a narrative driven game of sorts. People tend to give ND far too much credit just because their games look really nice and for the most part, play well and are very polished. Beyond that, they're not amazing.

Sometimes you gotta just put your brain in a lower gear and appreciate and examine games for what that are and what they hope to achieve at a fundamental level.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Doomguy is going to carry this E3 on his back

Hoping that mural art is also the cover art

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
This is so going to give my shiny new RTX 2080 TI a good workout and I can't wait :)

Still my most anticipated game without any doubt (yes even more than DS). Loved DOOM 2016.

Deleted member 54320

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
Doom isn't a game, or series, you play for story though. It's there, but that isn't the point. It isn't a narrative driven game.
Oh don't worry, I know. It's just that when I was playing it, I wish I had a bit more to care about aside from just killing demons constantly. Sounds a bit daft since I was playing a DOOM game but I think I just wasn't that jazzed about the game beforehand anyway.

Someone gave me a copy, I played it for a bit and thought it was fun but I wasn't hooked into playing it till the end.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Oh don't worry, I know. It's just that when I was playing it, I wish I had a bit more to care about aside from just killing demons constantly. Sounds a bit daft since I was playing a DOOM game but I think I just wasn't that jazzed about the game beforehand anyway.

Someone gave me a copy, I played it for a bit and thought it was fun but I wasn't hooked into playing it till the end.

That makes sense. Doesn't seem like you had any interest beforehand or have any personal connection with the franchise. That I can totally understand. And if narrative driven games are your thing, that's fine too.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Curious as to how they do these murals. Do they paint them by sections or something? Looks like a ton of work
I would assume so. With large-scale artworks like this, you normally have a small-scale reference which is divided into smaller sections. Those sections are then transferred onto the larger canvas. This helps ensure the composition is true to the reference and also just makes it easier not to lose track of which part of the artwork you're working on (as, with something this big, you can't just take a step back to view the thing in its entirety).

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Doom has a decent enough story and really expansive lore though. The bestiary itself is amazing and adds further information concerning the particular demon in question as you fulfill certain criteria for unlocking that info. This also applies to the weapons and characters in the game, as well as the locales. You didn't look hard enough.