• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 4, 2018
Doom Eternal Will Receive Massive Content Updates in 2021
www.dualshockers.com

Doom Eternal Will Receive Massive Content Updates in 2021

It shouldn't be a surprise at this point, but Doom Eternal will receive multiple updates next year. ID Software, the game's developer, shared a message on

The Doom Eternal team, which has been working on the game from home for the past ten months, will be busy going into next year. The game's second paid expansion is releasing sometime in 2021, a continuation of this year's The Ancient Gods storyline.

Past extra DLC, Doom Eternal will be receiving constant updates through 2021. First and foremost is a next-gen update for the game.

For those that enjoy Doom Eternal's multiplayer experience, more content is coming on that end as well. According to the post, the Doom Eternal roadmap includes "more ways to enjoy Doom Eternal with your friends." The game's invasion mode is still being worked on, and its Battlemode is being updated. Soon, players will find more demons to play as and a "re-vamped competitive structure."

EpXqJqZXcAI1yHJ

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The lack of ray-tracing mention for PC is surprising. I hope "next-gen update" implies adding ray-tracing to PC alongside the PS5/Xbox versions, rather than bringing the new gen console versions closer to where PC is now and then having another RT update further down the line, if it comes at all..

ShineALight

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if the answer is readily available somewhere (just did a quick Google search and didn't find anything), but is there anything announced about a PvE multiplayer mode? Almost to Cultist Base on the Switch release (so even if there were such a mode, I know I'd be waiting a while anyway), and as it's probably the best playing FPS on the platform, I'd love to hear something about an online co-op coming eventually. Thanks!

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The lack of ray-tracing mention for PC is surprising. I hope "next-gen update" implies adding ray-tracing to PC alongside the PS5/Xbox versions, rather than bringing the new gen console versions closer to where PC is now and then having another RT update further down the line, if it comes at all..
They've been dodging the ray-tracing issue for a while. I suspect it's not happening.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got it downloaded for Gamepass, but will delay my playthrough until next gen patch is released.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ohhh good to know!! I just need 1 more trophy for the platinum (the extra lives run) but Im not feeling it right now. At least if I wait I'll play it on my PS5 with extra stuff. Niceeeee!!!!

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Recently finished it on Series X (after starting on One X) and, boy, what a game. Really loved it. The final boss was so crazy epic.

But I think I'll wait for the enhancements before jumping into the first DLC.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I can't wait for Ancient Gods Part 2, Part 1 is some of the best DLC I played all gen. Also really looking forward to the next gen update.

Disappointed not to see any word on Master Levels, but it makes sense to focus most of their efforts into the DLC since it's new content.

Oct 25, 2017
God, I can't wait for Ancient Gods Part II. It's hard going back to the main campaign after the first DLC, but being limited to the environments and bosses of just Master Levels and the first DLC is also not ideal. One more DLC would completely fix this nonissue.

Hugo Martin recently said that we should expect their best boss fight yet in the second DLC, and I couldn't be happier, since this is the only aspect of 2016 that I think is overall stronger than Eternal.

Best FPS I've ever played, easily.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
I really don't mind if they don't add Ray Tracing to Eternal. The game's lighting, shadows, and reflections are already so damn good, that I couldn't see how RT would further improve upon that in a significant way. Plus, in this type of game where performance takes center stage over everything else, I think it would be best if ID left RT out, at least for now.

This is coming from someone who loves Ray Tracing, too.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. I hope they take all the time they need to make the second part of Ancient Gods as incredible as the first part.
2. I hope they expedite Invasion mode as soon as possible because I really, really, really want to play the Dark Souls of Doom Eternal. 😂

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This and Elder Scrolls Online were announced as the 'first' to get next gen updates by Bethesda if I remember correctly - I had hoped we'd hear more about more of their games receiving them. Dishonoured 2 and Prey at 60fps would have been fantastic.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I have to wonder if the expansions will hit Gamepass Ultimate once the acquisition is finalized. Either way, I really hope that there is a 120fps option in the next gen patch for Eternal. It was already dynamic 1800p60 on X1X, so a dynamic 4k120 on next gen consoles would be great and seems feasible enough

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Is this going to stay on gamepass? I'm not sure of all the vault rules or rotations.
Unless the Microsoft acquisition of Zenimax falls through for whatever reason, this game will be a permanent addition to Gamepass, just like all of their other first party games (barring Forza due to licensing, presumably). As for whether the expansions will be on Gamepass is an unknown, but if they were, it would almost certainly be Ultimate only

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Unless the Microsoft acquisition of Zenimax falls through for whatever reason, this game will be a permanent addition to Gamepass, just like all of their other first party games (barring Forza due to licensing, presumably). As for whether the expansions will be on Gamepass is an unknown, but if they were, it would almost certainly be Ultimate only

Yeah I want sure how any permanent plan works out. Esperanto them acquire after the game was released. Future titles likely won't be a problem.

ZeroRay

Oct 27, 2017

Vulkan finally has official support for RT so they might have been waiting on that before implementing it. I'm guessing they had their own custom solution in running RT on Vulcan that they scrapped for the official one.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I really don't mind if they don't add Ray Tracing to Eternal. The game's lighting, shadows, and reflections are already so damn good, that I couldn't see how RT would further improve upon that in a significant way. Plus, in this type of game where performance takes center stage over everything else, I think it would be best if ID left RT out, at least for now.

This is coming from someone who loves Ray Tracing, too.

Since it already runs at 4K 100-120 fps on my 2080 Ti, I would love to give RT a try if it runs at say 60-90 fps instead. It could be a nice showcase as Doom would definitely need something more than RT reflections because it has precious few truly reflective surfaces anyway. RT lighting and ambient occlusion might make a nice difference.

Just another thing you can select if you want like in other games that support RT.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Damn.. the game runs at 2 BILLION fps, there would be so much headroom for some raytracing goodness. Don't be cowards and make it happon pl0x

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Vulkan finally has official support for RT so they might have been waiting on that before implementing it. I'm guessing they had their own custom solution in running RT on Vulcan that they scrapped for the official one.
I hope that is the case. I thought of this game when I saw the Vulkan RT announcement.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just completed the first stage of the dlc. I'm waiting for the next one to do them both in one shot. Performance it's already perfect on serie x. Wondering what can next gen bring

ShinAmano

Oct 30, 2017
I am near wrapping up the main campaign and it is so good. Cant wait for the dlc and next gen update...will play both dlc that way :)

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Ancient Gods Part One was phenomenal. Anyone who hasn't tried it sure. Unless you really hate Marauders. Personally I love them, best enemy in the game, you can't change my mind.

Rockodile

Dec 7, 2018
Really hoping the Raytracing and invasion mode are still on the way. I was hoping to play Ancient Gods part 1 and 2 back to back, but I'm kind of itching to play part 1 now. Decisions

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
I just played my first few multiplayer matches just to get the Santa outfit, not really feeling it... The tutorial they put you through is really overwhelming lol. So not super interested in any of that stuff.

Ancient Gods Pt 2 might just be my GOTY unless Elden Ring comes out, though

nemorrhoids

Oct 22, 2018
Still need to get around to Ancient Gods Part 1, but I do hope for more master levels once that drops. It's probably not that hard to produce, so I hope they get around to it. I have no interest in the multiplayer aspect of this game.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im annoyed with the ambiguous timing of next gen updates. Like "they are coming! But we wont tell you when" avengers, doom, and cyberpunk have all done this

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Still need to get around to Ancient Gods Part 1, but I do hope for more master levels once that drops. It's probably not that hard to produce, so I hope they get around to it. I have no interest in the multiplayer aspect of this game.

The amount of Master Levels is probably the most disappointing thing about Eternal. There's now 3, and one of those you have to buy if you didn't pre-order the game. When I saw the Master Level feature, I thought they would drop a new level every 1-2 months or something. Granted, I don't really know how complex it is to remix these levels, and on top of that there's Covid.

They kind of made up for the wait by having a ton of extra modes and challenges on the latest one, though.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Welp guess I'll hold off until the next gen update. Too much to play on game pass anyway!