• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't see a thread for this.
Creative director Hugo Martin broke the news in a Facebook comment, which has been doing the rounds today. He said that Doom Eternal has no digital store and the cosmetic items are purely cosmetic with no extra advantages. "Eternal is a $60 game, not a free-to-play game or a mobile game—we are giving you a complete experience with no store just like you'd expect. Unlocking skins with XP is a part of the experience if you care about that stuff, or you can completely ignore it," explained Martin. "It's all free."

Lock if old.

ProLogY

Banned
May 19, 2018
On paper this sounds good. Until you remember that they will be selling 'boosters'... So.. Its like microtransactions but with extra steps.

Oct 25, 2017
I pre-ordered it today with the Lunar Sale discount, but went with the standard edition. Is there any information on whether the "classic gun sound pack" will be available separately later? I won't mind paying five bucks, but it's the one thing I wish I had the special edition for.

Moves

Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy to me that we have to get excited about a game allowing us to unlock costumes from within the game.
Really wish this was a more standard practice.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of games said this and then caved in anyway, but in this it honestly feels kinda irrelevant anyway. Calling cards or skins are not particularly important in the campaign imho, and I'm not sure I'll mess around with the multiplayer too much.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fuck yeah.

I assumed that 'battle pass' looking unlock menu wasn't paid, but it's great to have it confirmed.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
I pre-ordered it today with the Lunar Sale discount, but went with the standard edition. Is there any information on whether the "classic gun sound pack" will be available separately later? I won't mind paying five bucks, but it's the one thing I wish I had the special edition for.
What discount? I preordered late last week and it was full price.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hmmmmmmmm this is what crash nitro kart did too and then it switched to a microtransaction model... dont trust this to be like this in the future.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Gimme dat Endgame costume for the Doom Slayer.

25761569._SY475_.jpg

Oct 30, 2017
Wonder if the BP system is similar to Crash Team Racing. CTR allowed you to earn through XP, but aside from daily challenges and completionist challenges, it was pretty slow-going, especially on the single player side.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
But how much time do you have to unlock those items? There is a timer visible in the screenshots here:

doom-eternal-battle-pass.jpg

I really hate this limited time crap, already got burned out with COD:MW. Games should be fun, not feel like a second job.

Oct 25, 2017
Huh. Neat. $64 CAD is a lot better than $80 CAD.

Anyone know if they mentioned anything about a shared player pool with Steam? I'd be afraid of not being able to match into the multiplayer stuff on Bethesda Net.
Steam version will most likely need a Bethesda account for multiplayer. There should be no issues between them as the underlying code is the same.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
On paper this sounds good. Until you remember that they will be selling 'boosters'... So.. Its like microtransactions but with extra steps.
Saw this on Reddit:
"On Facebook yesterday Hugo explained what boosters are. Boosters allow you to "sponsor" up to four other players and passively gain XP based on how well they do. The better the players you sponsor, the more XP you get. It's something new that hasn't been done in a game before."

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
769.png

EA Execs Hearing News About No Microtransactions, 2020 (Colorized)

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
The battle pass system is probably just in there because Fortnite players expect it to be.

This is literally how EA defended putting mtx in a game a few years back, before it was the norm, only they said because mobile players expect them in there.

Game looks top but have no idea when I'll be playing it anyway, more excited for my first AC game, but just the presence of a battle pass makes me wary and more likely to save it for later.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
Saw this on Reddit:

"On Facebook yesterday Hugo explained what boosters are. Boosters allow you to "sponsor" up to four other players and passively gain XP based on how well they do. The better the players you sponsor, the more XP you get. It's something new that hasn't been done in a game before."

this is 1. still slimy and 2. not unique. variants of this have been in rainbow six siege, battlefield, and (iirc) blacklight, as well as other games.

it's a dream come true for companies, and even worse for the end user than straight up microtransations. now instead of buying anything with a guarantee, getting your money's worth is now entirely dependent on other players. all the uncertain returns of loot boxes to railroad you into buying more without the pesky "gambling" connotation. it's bad.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This would be kind of OK if there were no boosters. But there are so it will obviously be balanced to push players into buying boosters. Sigh.

Still buying, but modern game monetization trends are the worst.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
This is how it's done, take note 2020. I don't like boosters since they always have an effect to some degree on development of mechanics I understand that its just a part of the industry now and its not going away until people stop buying them. As long as nothing is locked away there's not much more we can do except vote with our wallets.