• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
DOOM Eternal broke the franchise record for opening weekend sales with double the launch revenue of the 2016-released DOOM, publisher Bethesda Softworks and developer id Software announced. It was also the best selling game on Steam for its release week, surpassing 100,000 concurrent players on the platform.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
It certainly deserves it. A fantastic sequel to DOOM2016. They could have phoned something in that would have done the job perfectly well, but they really went the extra mile to make it a proper sequel. It's absolutely brimming with new stuff and runs amazingly well to boot.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I remember the UK Sales thread lol. Ppl were using that to extrapolate a poor reception lmao.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
It's primarily a single player game. You don't need to worry about having a large player base for it's suceess. So how many copies sold is not as important as how much money it's making.

I know, but sales numbers are cool to know.

It rings better financially for the studio. Which is what's important.

Are they doing PR for the studio? Again, I understand it's a great result and revenue is more important than sales, but as someone that likes sales threads copies are more interesting metric.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Excellent news.

I also imagine digital sales will vastly outnumber physical as well.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Animal Crossing and Doom Eternal performing well warms my heart. What a great set of games in these trying times. Doom Eternal is probably up there as my favorite shooter of all time.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
imagine what the numbers would be if it wasn't for recent events.
Not necessarily better. People are stuck in their houses with not much to do, so gaming is on the rise. We can also assume a huge rise in digital downloads which have bigger profit margins. Doom Eternal is also benefitted from the fact that it came out relatively early during the Coronavirus crisis (at least on western countries) while people are still ok financially. I'm not so confident about other releases such as FFVII and even TLOUSII.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see. Doom Eternal definitely could have used another year in the oven, so I'm super excited to see what they can do with the sequel after another 4 years of development

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see this and I hope it continues to do well. I remember at one point it seemed Like 2016 didn't do too well and wasn't getting a sequel and I feared Animal Crossing might have really sucked the air out of the room a bit for it.

This is one of the rare times I'm utterly baffled by the negative opinions on a game. Usually I can see where people are coming from when they don't like something but this one feels like I'm playing a completely different game than them. Not discounting those opinions of course, they're perfectly valid, just can't wrap my head around them this time.

All in all I'm just glad there have been three huge releases in the last few days and all three seem to be doing great. It's a fantastic time for that to have happened.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Very nice, playing through now and I am enjoying it, definitely some things I would have liked them to do differently but still a fantastic game so far.

SrirachaX

Apr 12, 2019
Rip and tear those records!!! Only on mission 3, but so far it feels like a well-done sequel to Doom 2016. The combat is so damn good

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I remember the UK Sales thread lol. Ppl were using that to extrapolate a poor reception lmao.

UK Sales thread are so absolutely 100% useless to extrapolate anything from that literally their only purpose is to weed out the people who have no earthly idea what they are talking about when doing so anyway.

lcap

Oct 27, 2017
Great news for a great game!

Now, I'm not doubting them, but where is the PR? Couldn't find anywhere else.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I know, but sales numbers are cool to know.

Are they doing PR for the studio? Again, I understand it's a great result and revenue is more important than sales, but as someone that likes sales threads copies are more interesting metric.

Yeah sales are more interesting. Though given this is Bethesda ... I dont even remember the last time they shared sales? I think maybe Fallout 4?

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Makes sense. It is the best Doom game.

Nice to see. Doom Eternal definitely could have used another year in the oven, so I'm super excited to see what they can do with the sequel after another 4 years of development
The game is so well optimised across all platforms and the only bug I've heard about (something about Doom 1 and 2 being unplayable on PC) got fixed days ago. Why did it need another year?

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Ive had a couple bugs playing Eternal, but another whole year?

The game is so well optimised across all platforms and the only bug I've heard about (something about Doom 1 and 2 being unplayable on PC) got fixed days ago. Why did it need another year?
Performance is indeed rock solid through and through, but it's the game design itself that needed another pass or two. In the later levels you really get a sense of how they just had to wrap things up asap:
  • Level design becomes much more constrained, and instead of secret areas for all secrets, they have fewer secret areas with like 2 secrets in each
  • Encounter design becomes much repetitive where every single fight seems pretty much the same - it's just every enemy in the game minus marauder (usually)
  • The bosses are... yeah
  • Weird UI things like the Final Sin level having challenges, but the Mission Select screen not displaying them like it does for all of the other levels that have challenges
  • And just other weird inconsistency things like how there are more collectible currencies (suit tokens, sentinel batteries, etc.) than needed to actually unlock things
The ending 4-5 hours of the game just feel pretty unpolished compared to the rest of the experience

Last edited:

shotgunbob04

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really happy to see this news. It's a good game. It makes my heartrate go too high from being so intense, but it's a good game.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Hell yeah, awesome.

Now release that soundtrack on Spotify so I can RIP & TEAR during workouts

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doubled the launch revenue is not that great since Doom 2016 didnt sell that well originally. It was only after Word of Mouth that it started picking up (since there were no reviews)

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
But UK physical!!!

Great news, very happy for them. Will definitely play it, loved the first one. But they're currently cutting our salaries - drastically - at work and the situation is shitty all around because of the virus. So no money to buy nice stuff in the near future :-(

EDebs1916

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

On my PS4 Pro, I've had it bug out a couple times where I get to a location, enemies don't spawn and I have to load a checkpoint to continue. And it totally crashed on me once as well.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Yeah, in the later levels you really get a sense of how they just had to wrap things up asap. Level design, encounter design, weird UI bugs and things like how there are more collectible currencies (suit tokens, sentinel batteries, etc.) than needed to actually unlock things. The ending 4-5 hours of the game just feel pretty unpolished. You even see plenty of instances where they start throwing 2 secrets just next to each other in levels. Performance is rock solid through and through, it's the game design itself that needed another pass or two
I don't think those final few levels were that bad but I can see where you're coming from. They definitely don't have the creative set dressing that the others had. It's not something that can realistically be fixed with a year delay though. If you want a full design than that can take years and that's not worth it when the levels as fine as they are.
On my PS4 Pro, I've had it bug out a couple times where I get to a location, enemies don't spawn and I have to load a checkpoint to continue. And it totally crashed on me once as well.
Oh, yeah. I forgot I got a spawn bug too. That's still not worth a year delay though.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Good. Not completely sold on it yet so haven't jumped in but happy to see it do well knowing the amount of fun others are having. DOOM having a renaissance is great to see.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Well deserved. Such a challenging, stressful but thoroughly rewarding experience, and one that's utterly jaw-dropping to look at on PC.
This - people forget that the UK market has mostly migrated to digital for PS4/XBO. So looking at a physical-only UK sales chart and basing sales analysis on that is pointless and misleading. And it's only one country.