• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
"There is only one dominant lifeform in this universe, and it carries a steel-barreled sword of vengeance." is the kind of ridiculousness I crave.

Oct 27, 2017
Not watching it.
I already know I want it. I already know I'm getting it, and I've seen enough to know it looks fantastic.
As few spoilers as possible from now until launch.

Honestly I don't really think there's anything spoiler oriented in it, which is cool. Everything has been essentially shown in some form already.

But I hear you, I'm already pre-ordered so it doesn't matter

Oct 27, 2017
"There is only one dominant lifeform in this universe, and it carries a steel-barreled sword of vengeance." is the kind of ridiculousness I crave.

I think above anything else credit needs to go to the writing and voice acting for making what could be the worst kind of lines ever sound awesome and bad ass. The fact that they salvage the old rip and tear joke and turn it into something pretty ominous and epic is a feat unto itself.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think above anything else credit needs to go to the writing and voice acting for making what could be the worst kind of lines ever sound awesome and bad ass. The fact that they salvage the old rip and tear joke and turn it into something pretty ominous and epic is a feat unto itself.

Absolutely. The lines are both written and voice-directed with confidence.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Still not sold on this, despite being a long time DOOM fan. I even saw a unicorn suit on a site somewhere, yesterday. I mean, come on.

AuroraMusisAmica

One Winged Slayer
Aug 16, 2018
207.gif

Soon will we Cross into the realm of Doom.

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017

I love dumb cheesy lines like that and this one from New Vegas: "God sent us two angels, and at least one of them had a .308 caliber flaming sword of justice with a telescopic sight."

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
It's because they're playing it straight. The devs clearly know this stuff is ridiculous, but in the context of the game world it's taken super seriously. Dumb stuff can easily be ruined if the game winks and nods too much, but when it goes full serious the dumbness comes full circle and becomes awesome.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Still not convinced by the parkour shite.
It's building on the mobility focused, push forward combat of the first game. It'll work really well for what they're going with.
Still not sold on this, despite being a long time DOOM fan. I even saw a unicorn suit on a site somewhere, yesterday. I mean, come on.
Doom has always been silly. Doom 2016 was no different, it was self-aware, and quite funny at times.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can not, in good conscience, watch this when I know how much better it would be to play it for the first time, blind.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
It's building on the mobility focused, push forward combat of the first game. It'll work really well for what they're going with.

Doom has always been silly. Doom 2016 was no different, it was self-aware, and quite funny at times.

I know and it's why I did not particularly liked 2016. I did finish it, but I lost the story halfway through and I absolutely despised the gore nest mechanics/arena style/horde gameplay. So lame.

The old DOOMs are way more serious and grounded than this. I just prefer the Doom 3 way over this. I prefer more mystery and horror.

Also I don't really like all the platforming I see in Eternal. So on top of the unicorn suit there is a grappling hook, a dash, again a double jump and you can swing around poles, and then there are trampolines everywhere so you can jump really high. I'm almost beginning to question whether this is DOOM or Super Mario.

I'm sure the game is really good and fun to play and will get stellar reviews, but I'm just not feeling the setting and the direction they're taking.

Maybe they'll satisfy me with a Quake 2 remake in the future. With a 1:1 copy of the intro please. :-P

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know and it's why I did not particularly liked 2016. I did finish it, but I lost the story halfway through and I absolutely despised the gore nest mechanics/arena style/horde gameplay. So lame.

The old DOOMs are way more serious and grounded than this. I just prefer the Doom 3 way over this. I prefer more mystery and horror.

Also I don't really like all the platforming I see in Eternal. So on top of the unicorn suit there is a grappling hook, a dash, again a double jump and you can swing around poles, and then there are trampolines everywhere so you can jump really high. I'm almost beginning to question whether this is DOOM or Super Mario.

I'm sure the game is really good and fun to play and will get stellar reviews, but I'm just not feeling the setting and the direction they're taking.

Maybe they'll satisfy me with a Quake 2 remake in the future. With a 1:1 copy of the intro please. :-P

That's certainly fair, I also prefer some of old Doom games' style to an extent and the fact you are not forced to fight all the time, but they are different ways of doing it things. After all, there's a great community that created tons more levels of Doom-quality, in fact surpassing the original Doom probably, not necessary for id Software to retread those grounds. But to be fair, Doom II was already rather silly: it only didn't have jumps and such because they simply didn't have the tech for it yet, but stuff like The Chasm shows they were really into the advanced acrobatics shenanigans already, even though it made literally 0 logical sense from an organic building structure point of view.

Doom Eternal seems to be building up to a love letter to the Doom universe, the Doom lore, the Doom phenomenon, full of callbacks, quotes and taking its ultraviolent concepts to an ironic extreme. I'm personally excited about that but I can see why somebody would rather get a more serious approach.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017

What a stupid statement. DOOM 3 was also NOTHING like the original games. You are remembering things very wrong.

softtack

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's very difficult to trounce and make DOOM (2016) look stale but they've gone and done it. Also, I'm glad that this game got completed before the corona virus ruined the party. I'm automatically assuming that dev teams around world are affected by the current situation.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
The wait for the Switch version's gonna suuuck.

Glad to see them delving into the mythos of the Doom Slayer. It was a neat element of 2016's storyline but unless you're one of those weirdos like myself that liked to delve into the codex entries you missed a lot of it.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
The wait for the Switch version's gonna suuuck.

Glad to see them delving into the mythos of the Doom Slayer. It was a neat element of 2016's storyline but unless you're one of those weirdos like myself that liked to delve into the codex entries you missed a lot of it.

Approach will be same here.

There is A LOT more story and lore, but just like in 2016 you have to want it and go looking for it. They want keep gameplay in front.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Approach will be same here.

There is A LOT more story and lore, but just like in 2016 you have to want it and go looking for it. They want keep gameplay in front.

I guess what I mean to say is that we've finally shifted away from "Oh hey it's demons on Mars" and into something else finally.

Doom 2 technically got away from that, but the game was so limited in scope back then that it wasn't really apparent.

daedalius

Oct 27, 2017
So fucking ready for this. My doom 2016 nightmare play through is going well and I just preordered the deluxe last night.

My body is ready!

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
It's because they're playing it straight. The devs clearly know this stuff is ridiculous, but in the context of the game world it's taken super seriously. Dumb stuff can easily be ruined if the game winks and nods too much, but when it goes full serious the dumbness comes full circle and becomes awesome.
Yeah, exactly. The game knows how dumb it is, but wholeheartedly rolls with it with confidence because it's having fun with it.

It works so much better than a game that feels like it's constantly looking back at you to check if you're laughing, like a gearbox game.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
There is no more beautiful sight in gaming than the DOOM minigun mowing down enemies in alt fire mode.

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
Avoiding the trailer for spoiler reasons
but if the trailer as Doom's gate playing I will definitely watch it... can anyone confirm/deny?