• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
9h4kg7vzkro31.jpg

Official post from r/Doom

Hey all,

A game update for DOOM and DOOM II are being deployed today for all platforms. Below are the patch notes. We're also excited to announce a new Slayers Club reward. By linking your Slayers Club account to the re-releases of DOOM, DOOM II, and DOOM 3, you'll earn in-game skins for DOOM Eternal based on the classic DOOM Marine -- Indigo for DOOM, Bronze for DOOM II, and Red for DOOM 3.

DOOM Patch Notes:
  • Restored lighting rendering to match the original game visuals.
  • Updated sound and music playback speed and tone to match the original game audio
  • General game performance and user experience improvements.
  • Slayers Club members can now link their Bethesda.net account to receive the Indigo DOOM Marine Skin and DOOM (1993) nameplate when DOOM Eternal launches.
DOOM II Patch Notes:
  • Restored lighting rendering to match the original game visuals.
  • Updated sound and music playback speed and tone to match the original game audio
  • General game performance and user experience improvements.
  • Slayers Club members can now link their Bethesda.net account to receive the Bronze DOOM Marine Skin and DOOM II nameplate when DOOM Eternal launches.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
lol i was actually considering making a thread last week complaining about the lack of Midriff in modern doom. someone read my mind.

Nov 4, 2018
Wasn't there a massive leak for Eternal saying there would be skins for Doomguy? Welp, looks like it earned a bit of credibility.

Oct 25, 2017
What was the reason Bethesda gave at the time for making people have to log into OG Doom to play it, before saying they'd patch it out?

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
hell yeah!!!

i posted this in the other thread but this would be complete if they added the Super Shotgun skin from Quake champions to Eternal

QC_Store_3_29_DOOM__2_Shotgun.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
What was the reason Bethesda gave at the time for making people have to log into OG Doom to play it, before saying they'd patch it out?

The claim was it wasn't meant to be mandatory, it was meant to be a skippable prompt. Doom3 was the only one on launch where it was skippable as intended.

Awesome to see them fix the music and lighting. Anyone know if the aspect ratio issue has been addressed?

OP
OP
AgentStrange

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017

The stated reason was so that people could connect their games to their Slayers Club accounts to get points and rewards. Purely optional but obviously they goofed on that part.

is it confirm

that the doom slayer is the same guy as doomguy?

Find out when DOOM Eternal releases on November 22nd on PC, XB1, PS4, Google Stadia, and Nintendo Switch #ad

I'm guessing green is already an unlockable color in-game?

Probably something you unlock after beating the game

Oct 25, 2017
Alright just played through some of the first episode. It's a pretty big improvement the lighting resembles Chocolate Doom now and the music is far better. The only problem with the music is that there's a stop point where it loops to the begenning and it's pretty noticeable.

The monster sounds still sound compressed and the aspect ratio is still the same and stretched that makes everything look wider than intended.

Final thoughts is that it's actually playable now and all it needs is another small patch to fix the rest of it's issues.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
I checked the easiest test case for the lighting (the room in E1M3 that turns nearly pitch black when you pick up a key) and its now appropriately dark instead of having a bright gradient in front of you.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seemingly. If I remember correctly from the last game, there was enough vague information to imply that he might be essentially dimension hopping. People are now tying this into the name of the new game being Eternal, but who knows if that's actually relevant.

If that is correct (there was a leak also that implied this and correctly predicted the classic Doom skins with ripped abs), that's gonna be the best thing to ever happen to Doom's lore tbh.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Well this is now the best port of Doom period. Still some small issues as mentioned above but if they didn't touch it again, it is still worth picking up. In regards to the aspect ratio, is there an official word from Romero or Carmack on what it is actually supposed to be? Looks like even the PC ports handle the resolution in different ways, including id's own Doom 95 lol

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
I saw on Reddit that the music for these updates was recorded from a Roland SC-55 for extra authenticity. Nice!

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
Well this is now the best port of Doom period. Still some small issues as mentioned above but if they didn't touch it again, it is still worth picking up. In regards to the aspect ratio, is there an official word from Romero or Carmack on what it is actually supposed to be?

In 1993, Doom was 320*200 displayed on a 4:3 crt monitor. These ports are not behaving this way at all. They are not accurate.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Finally.

Will buy Doom 1 for Switch then. Never touched the series before and this seems like a fantastic place to play it.

Naked Snake

Oct 27, 2017
Alright just played through some of the first episode. It's a pretty big improvement the lighting resembles Chocolate Doom now and the music is far better. The only problem with the music is that there's a stop point where it loops to the begenning and it's pretty noticeable.

The monster sounds still sound compressed and the aspect ratio is still the same and stretched that makes everything look wider than intended.

Final thoughts is that it's actually playable now and all it needs is another small patch to fix the rest of it's issues.

I checked the easiest test case for the lighting (the room in E1M3 that turns nearly pitch black when you pick up a key) and its now appropriately dark instead of having a bright gradient in front of you.
It baffles me how a giant gaming company can't port a 25-year old classic game perfectly to modern hardware, when a homebrew dev in from their bedroom can do it.

Last edited:

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
It baffles me how a giant gaming company can't port a 25-year old classic game perfectly to modern hardware, when a homebrew dev in from their bedroom can do it.

Chocolate Doom was a long and meticulous reverse engineering effort.

Doom Source Ports are weird in the sense that there is no be all end all. It's all decisions with myriads of opinions of how things should be. And they have been in perpetual development and iteration for like decades at this point.

Still a pretty embarassing showing from Bethesda obviously. They clearly weren't willing to give this a proper budget. Just wanted to clarify that there is a LOT of work that goes into these community projects, it's definitely not something that someone just whips up in their bedroom in a week. I feel like we forget that sometimes.

Last edited:

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Doom's software renderer is a fickle thing and there's no magic documentation for it. They bumped the resolution to 960x600, which is actually what caused the lightning to screw up, because the lighting uses the hardcoded resolution for some of its calculations.