• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
You gotta wait for it to reload, then wait for the very slow change, one weapon at a time, while eating unavoidable damage if you're pinned.
Makes a lot of surprise encounters just unfair.
There's definitely some better things about this port, but this alone makes EX better.
You can keep cycling weapons during the lower/raise state, the weapon you cycle to still changes regardless of the active weapon's state. It's no different from EX in this regard.
Hot tip: The weapon being cycled to has its ammo count immediately shown, rather than your current weapon.
Hot tip 2: If you are playing on Xbox, even if you aren't playing using a keyboard and mouse, the Xbox chatpad numbers can also be used to select weapons. Which was unintentional but made a lot of sense when I discovered that worked.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
You can keep cycling weapons during the lower/raise state, the weapon you cycle to still changes regardless of the active weapon's state. It's no different from EX in this regard.
Hot tip: The weapon being cycled to has its ammo count immediately shown, rather than your current weapon.
Hot tip 2: If you are playing on Xbox, even if you aren't playing using a keyboard and mouse, the Xbox chatpad numbers can also be used to select weapons. Which was unintentional but made a lot of sense when I discovered that worked.

That makes things better. I can certainly switch faster now.
Though on EX, I could just bind numbers to the D-Pad and have quick select if I recall.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
boredandlazy & Magnet & The Woods & Kyubajin A follow up with the PS4 save issues you experienced:
By some chance, does the issue occur after you disconnect your network connection (may not be immediately but sometime after its lost, or maybe if you even start the game offline)? I've noticed a weird possible edge case in our code that may be dropping the account details, including the ones the save system may be using, if the network permissions are lost.

Edit: Actually I may have jumped the gun on this theory as well, it might not be the case either. Check anyway but it seems they use two separate details for checking this information.

Last edited:

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
If you're going with that approach, this will be required viewing if you're unaware on how the BFG works:
youtu.be

cool bfg strats and how to use it in DOOM

So last week I talked to three different people who didn't know how the BFG worked. I thought this sort of stuff was common knowledge in the community. GUESS...
BFG is one of the most illogical and physics discarding guns in gaming, and could only have come about from the limitations of the DOOM engine in 1993. A modern game really would just be a big blast.

Oct 25, 2017
I do wish this version retained the EX weapon numbers while switching so that would be a bit easier
That was really helpful

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never played the OG Dooms. How are they on a controller and/or steam controller? Is Doom 64 a good starter?
Well Doom 64 works ok with a 360 controller. Feels a little slippery unadjusted, like if you were taking mouse movement and directly porting it to a analog pad. But some tweaks makes it feel more natural. WHich sounds weird knowing it came from a n64 controller.

Oct 25, 2017
I encountered a save issue just a little while ago.
I cleared Cat and Mouse on Watch Me Die, which brought me to Hardcore.
I then saved my game, but decided I was better off pistol starting, so never loaded it.
Then when I spawned the Cyberdemon, I went to save, and all of my saves were gone.
Exiting to the Main Menu did not fix it.
Closing and re-opening the game brought everything back to normal.
I then finished the rest of the Fun levels and never saw it happen again.
Playing on PS4 Pro.

Panic was absolutely ridiculous lol.
Two Cyberdemons in a small space, with homing rockets flying at you if you enter the edge of the arena.
Add to that, the Cyberdeons teleporting around, usually behind you, sheesh.
Took many many tries to beat that one.
Trick is to get one in the center and keep him there while circling around to keep the teleporting one on the opposite side.

Seriously, I'm on level 19 now and so far it is the only thing I've had to look up.

This game is so freakin' fantastic tho. I'm enjoying it more than I did Doom Eternal.

The switch has the same pattern as the platform the key is on.
I figured it out after fooling around for a bit.
It goes back to the whole "things opening aren't loud enough" issue I brought up earlier.
Cause I bet most people check that switch, but didn't realize it did anything.

Last edited:

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Analogue input is 1:1, most certainly not a mouse emulation, so that's rather weird to hear.
It's a weird comment to make for sure. It just reminded me of how it felt controlling the original Doom games ported with some modern engines on PC (like Doomsday engine) with controller support. Had a bit of a loose feeling until i tweaked some sensitivity settings.

Kyubajin

Feb 22, 2019
boredandlazy & Magnet & The Woods & Kyubajin A follow up with the PS4 save issues you experienced:
By some chance, does the issue occur after you disconnect your network connection (may not be immediately but sometime after its lost, or maybe if you even start the game offline)? I've noticed a weird possible edge case in our code that may be dropping the account details, including the ones the save system may be using, if the network permissions are lost.

Edit: Actually I may have jumped the gun on this theory as well, it might not be the case either. Check anyway but it seems they use two separate details for checking this information.
Well it does disconnect from the internet whenever I leave the PS4 resting for a bit, so it might be the case.

Firebricks

Jan 27, 2018
The switch has the same pattern as the platform the key is on.
I figured it out after fooling around for a bit.
It goes back to the whole "things opening aren't loud enough" issue I brought up earlier.
Cause I bet most people check that switch, but didn't realize it did anything.

The problem for me was I had no idea it was a switch in the first place.

Clear_Strelok

Mar 22, 2018
Are there any plans to allow console users to skip or speed up the intro videos ? You can do that in the Doom/Doom 2 ports by pressing A but not here, which makes the startup somewhat tedious when trying to just pick up and play for a short session. Other than that (and the chaingun sprite offset issue which I believe has already been pointed out) I can't find a single complaint. This is a new benchmark for retro ports, especially on Switch.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
The problem for me was I had no idea it was a switch in the first place.

I know exactly what part you're talking about just by reading this post. I got stuck there when I was playing EX for the first time and thought it was stupid because there's nothing to give you any idea of what to look for.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Finally beat 64 and the lost levels. Maybe I'm too thick, but how exactly does the lost levels bridge into Doom2016? Nothing about it seemed to link them.

Oct 25, 2017
Finally beat 64 and the lost levels. Maybe I'm too thick, but how exactly does the lost levels bridge into Doom2016? Nothing about it seemed to link them.

It doesn't really bridge into it any more than 64 already did.
It's just the line during the ending screen.
Before You Lies a Path of Perpetual Torment. Something like that.
Ties into the "He Chose the Path of Perpetual Torment" line from the Doom 2016 logs.

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
Finally downloaded it, buttery smooth gameplay, looks amazing in widescreen. default image is too dark, as expected if you have experience with the game on the N64, thankfully you can crank it up the brightness so you can see things. Thumbs up!

EDIT: I should mention that I'm getting really tired of Bethesda forcing their download games to try to brute-force their way online when wi-fi isn't an option, especially on something portable like The Switch. The first time I tried playing offline the software lingered on a black screen for almost two minutes until the first screen about the wristband for the joycons came up. Then after finally getting to the title screen, it took almost another two minutes for the main menu to finally load after pressing start, all because the game is trying to brute-force its way online on the back-end. Knock that shit off, Bethesda.

Last edited:

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
EDIT: I should mention that I'm getting really tired of Bethesda forcing their download games to try to brute-force their way online when wi-fi isn't an option, especially on something portable like The Switch. The first time I tried playing offline the software lingered on a black screen for almost two minutes until the first screen about the wristband for the joycons came up. Then after finally getting to the title screen, it took almost another two minutes for the main menu to finally load after pressing start, all because the game is trying to brute-force its way online on the back-end. Knock that shit off, Bethesda.
The problem there isn't Bethesda or their service. Also it sounds like you had WiFi connected with no Internet. Try to avoid doing that, it's easier to detect that there is no WiFi (we can check that immediately) than if there is no Internet on a connected WiFi (we can't check that at all and TCP timeouts will be your only companion).

Last edited:

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Sorry for bumping this thread but did the developers take out the Cyberdemons third Rocket leading shot?

in the N64 version you would always get hit by the third rocket due to the game calculating where you where running.

so doing circle strafing or running at a straight line would mean death to you.

Also Enemies that get hit by others don't attack back. Is that also a bug?

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Sorry for bumping this thread but did the developers take out the Cyberdemons third Rocket leading shot?

in the N64 version you would always get hit by the third rocket due to the game calculating where you where running.

so doing circle strafing or running at a straight line would mean death to you.

No, we didn't remove it because it never existed. I have absolutely no idea why people think this existed, it never did and there's no code that would have allowed it to ever have been possible, hell the cyberdemons frame table is practically identical with the PC code. It is extremely maddening to keep being accused of removing something that never existed. I implore you to stop listening to or reading whatever or whomever told you this, and to tell everyone you know to do the same.

Also Enemies that get hit by others don't attack back. Is that also a bug?

It's still there, we could never have missed that, it's even a crucial component of getting the attract demos to play back in sync including the intro logo, so you can verify that yourself. You might however not be aware that infighting has rules:
Everything still applies from Doom1&2, except for projectile types which was removed in PSX and 64.

Last edited:

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
No, we didn't remove it because it never existed. I have absolutely no idea why people think this existed, it never did and there's no code that would have allowed it to ever have been possible, hell the cyberdemons frame table is practically identical with the PC code. It is extremely maddening to keep being accused of removing something that never existed. I implore you to stop listening to or reading whatever or whomever told you this, and to tell everyone you know to do the same.

It's still there, we could never have missed that, it's even a crucial component of getting the attract demos to play back in sync including the intro logo, so you can verify that yourself. You might however not be aware that infighting has rules:
Everything still applies from Doom1&2, except for projectile types which was removed in PSX and 64.

I'm really sorry if I made you upset or angry but it's not something I've seen other people talk/write about. It's just something I vaguely remember from the time I spent playing DOOM 64 back in the day. Maybe I miss remember from all the times fighting the Cyberdemons.

Ok, does the projectile types include mancubus weapon?

once again I'm sorry if I made you upset!

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Ok, does the projectile types include mancubus weapon?
By checking types, I mean the specific baron checks that occur (this means in PSX and 64, barons and hell knights can hurt eachother). Basically what goes on is during the move iteration check, if the object trying to move is a missile, it does height checks followed by type checks to see if it could damage the object or if the missile should just stop moving and explode. In Doom64, the only real difference between this code and PC is the baron/hell knight check was removed, but the type check still occurs so a mancubus can't harm another mancubus, for example. Everything else is intact, including the threshold behaviour.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Is there a way to change the difficulty during the game? I feel very underwhelmed by how easy the game is and it costs a lot of fun.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Is there a way to change the difficulty during the game? I feel very underwhelmed by how easy the game is and it costs a lot of fun.
Negative, difficulty in classic Doom isn't like new-fangled games, it changes spawn filters rather than behavior (though there is a couple of behaviour differences, namely ammo doubling on very easy) so changing difficulty doesn't really make sense.
While I would strongly suggest starting from scratch because of the spawn changes, you could brute force a skill change by taking a password you currently have, decode it, change the skill then reencode it here: http://eternity.mancubus.net/d64pw/ (note this password editor is old and thus won't work for any password from the new levels.)

Just start from whatever episode you're in.
Doom64 doesn't have episodes.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Yeah, I just used a Passwort to change the difficulty in the end, it helped that I had every weapon beside the Unmaker with full ammo, so I could just use a cheat without a bad conscience

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
if you're somehow asleep at the wheel: DOOM64 is 50% off on the digital shops for the quake con sale period (along with all the other related games, of course)

perfect time for multiplatform double dips :)

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
if you're somehow asleep at the wheel: DOOM64 is 50% off on the digital shops for the quake con sale period (along with all the other related games, of course)

perfect time for multiplatform double dips :)
I saw! For $2.50 I couldn't resist.

I'm impressed by the quality of this port. 1 and 2 were fine, but the Bethesda.net issues got in the way and they didn't do anything special to them to really modernize them. This tho is great. The visuals are a clear step up from the N64 days, and wide-screen is nice to have.

This is a cool game. I'm happy that they put some real effort into this port!

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I saw! For $2.50 I couldn't resist.

I'm impressed by the quality of this port. 1 and 2 were fine, but the Bethesda.net issues got in the way and they didn't do anything special to them to really modernize them. This tho is great. The visuals are a clear step up from the N64 days, and wide-screen is nice to have.

This is a cool game. I'm happy that they put some real effort into this port!
it's really worth looking at who did which port of all these four games.

it's also worth remembering how much they improved the 1+2 ports after the fact (should've been like this at launch but still, they did it!). the free custom campaign expansions are unexpectedly great!

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Five missions in on Watch Me Die for the first time in yeeeeears and man, it is so wonderful to play! This "port" by Night Dive is fucking incredible.

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Port being in quotes would imply it isn't a port, when it is. ;)
Well, while it is a port, it feels so organic that it could've been native! It's so wonderful to play, an absolute blast. You all are #blessed, thank you so much!!

I just ordered the Switch physical version as well! Unfortunately couldn't spring for the ultimate edition, goddamn COVID lmao

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

Unused DOOM64 cover art.
EoGTgtLXIAUcmXd.jpg

When we say we like hand-drawn cover art, this is not what we want lol.

Bullet, consider yourself dodged.

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think that art's fucking rad! 😆 I love it a lot actually! I'd have even preferred it over the single skull we got in the end.