• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I've been playing the original Quake a lot this month and now I want to check Quake 64 out as it was apparently made by the same devs as D64. It's tragic really that this game was released in the shadow of Goldeneye and other FPS, you can really see the effort the developers put into making this a great game. I remember reviews for this game at release basically saying 'yeah it's just more Doom'. Hopefully we see more classic FPS ports in the future!
Quake 2 (N64) is what you want, not the not-that-great Quake 1 port. Quake 2 on N64 is another Doom 64 scenario while Quake 1 was a straight port again.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
Is this game for real? It poses basically no challenge until the last boss and that throws red spheres at you that just continue chasing you... forever? This game seems terrible to me. I may be hasty in my judgement but what is the fun of this boss? I don't understand it at all.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Is this game for real? It poses basically no challenge until the last boss and that throws red spheres at you that just continue chasing you... forever? This game seems terrible to me. I may be hasty in my judgement but what is the fun of this boss? I don't understand it at all.
I managed to cheese that clown. If you hide between one of the spawn chambers and a switch, the rockets shouldn't hit you.
If it wants to play dirty, so will I.

I do think it has moments of brilliance, namely the levels with the glow in the dark effects, but it doesn't have many amazing shoot out sections.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
I managed to cheese that clown. If you hide between one of the spawn chambers and a switch, the rockets shouldn't hit you.
If it wants to play dirty, so will I.

I do think it has moments of brilliance, namely the levels with the glow in the dark effects, but it doesn't have many amazing shoot out sections.
I just redid it and saved all BFG ammo for it and she went down. But it was zero amounts of fun. But whatever I beat it at least, I'll give it a rest and come back in a few days to see if the Lost Levels are more fun.

Yeah, in the beginning of the game I was psyched, I dug the atmospere and style. But the battles just don't exist or are just simple strafe-fests. And I mean SIMPLE. Played on I Own Doom difficulty and it's really just a walk inte park. A strange maze filled with switches, that kind of park but still, lol

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I just redid it and saved all BFG ammo for it and she went down. But it was zero amounts of fun. But whatever I beat it at least, I'll give it a rest and come back in a few days to see if the Lost Levels are more fun.

Yeah, in the beginning of the game I was psyched, I dug the atmospere and style. But the battles just don't exist or are just simple strafe-fests. And I mean SIMPLE. Played on I Own Doom difficulty and it's really just a walk inte park. A strange maze filled with switches, that kind of park but still, lol
I think it has some really clever(if frustrating) puzzles, especially that it works within Doom confines(namely the three switch/key color puzzle), but it didn't have much in the way of difficulty. I'm surprised there was no Spider.

Last edited:

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
I think it has some really clever(if frustrating) puzzles, especially that it works within Doom confines(namely the three switch/key color puzzle), but it didn't have much int eh way of difficulty. I'm surprised there was no Spider.
I respect and understand that opinion, but that puzzle made my veins burst. Incredibly frustrating. I just don't find remembering the locations of doors and running back and forth to them that much fun. Extra so when the world is a bore and it's the same music all the time? Was there music?

Oh well, I'm happy others enjoy it at least! 😂

The cyberdemons and the last battle before the queen of evil are just strafing. Just run one direction or right and then a bit left and then right and left. Oh, remember to hold the shoot button as well! I just find it bizarre 😂

Feb 27, 2019
I preordered Doom Eternal through Green Man Gaming and got a Bethesda Launcher code. But I never got a code for Doom 64.

Was the Doom 64 preorder bonus only for Steam orders?? Really annoying!

Shan

Oct 27, 2017

Now, I don't know your experience with the serie as a whole but that's DOOM being DOOM. You strafe, you shoot, you move on and solve some mazes here and there.

I think it has some really clever(if frustrating) puzzles, especially that it works within Doom confines(namely the three switch/key color puzzle), but it didn't have much in the way of difficulty. I'm surprised there was no Spider.
Yeah DOOM 64 removed a couple of enemies like the chaingunner, the arch-vile, the revenant and Spider Mastermind, unfortunately. Makes me wonder how it would've been with those enemies in.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
Now, I don't know your experience with the serie as a whole but that's DOOM being DOOM. You strafe, you shoot, you move on and solve some mazes here and there.
I played them as a kid at school :D, and then replayed them maybe 4-5 years ago? I enjoyed them as far as I can remember.. I mean I know that's the general structure but I remember them to be more concise with better music and more varied combat encounters and less long-winded backtracking "puzzles" I guess? I just felt like this game dragged on and on, comparatively.

May have something to do with the lack of enemies also that you guys mention.

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
You have to keep in mind that this game was developed exclusively for the N64 and its controller, so it was not designed for mouse aiming and/or dual analog controls which makes the game considerably easier today. Also there was no mid-level save function at all. If you died in the N64 version you had to restart the whole level from scratch.

Also technical limitation may or may not have prevented a higher simultaneous enemy count, I have heard conflicting reports on this.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
You have to keep in mind that this game was developed exclusively for the N64 and its controller, so it was not designed for mouse aiming and/or dual analog controls which makes the game considerably easier today. Also there was no mid-level save function at all. If you died in the N64 version you had to restart the whole level from scratch.

Also technical limitation may or may not have prevented a higher simultaneous enemy count, I have heard conflicting reports on this.
Thanks!

This actually makes A LOT of sense! Thinking about it that way, I can actually imagine there being a balance and progression to the game. And the no mid-level save, aha! Cool. (Personally I would have hated that with some of the longer levels haha!)

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Any technical differences between Switch and PS4? Performance, load times, sound, graphics, anything?

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Been playing this the past few days and looks like I skipped the secret levels because I jumped from 24 to 28.

Anyway, final boss has me puzzled. Those stupid red balls of fire that follow you feel impossible to avoid. I'm sure there's something I'm missing.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I really cant wait for this game. Doom 2 is to inferior to the first one and this looks like its again more on par with the original Doom

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been playing this the past few days and looks like I skipped the secret levels because I jumped from 24 to 28.

Anyway, final boss has me puzzled. Those stupid red balls of fire that follow you feel impossible to avoid. I'm sure there's something I'm missing.
The secret levels upgrade you Unmaker weapon and give you demon keys. Those keys can be used to stop demons from spawning in which mkes the level way easier to do.

DF Retro episode dedicated to DOOM 64
OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

dedicated thread:
www.resetera.com

DF Retro EX: Doom 64 - Remaking an N64 Classic For PS4, Xbox One, Switch + PC!

I've been waiting for this. Yet another fantastic DF Retro by Dark1x . Summary Video guest stars Nightdive developers; Samuel Villarreal, Edward Richardson and James Haley Doom 64's engine is an upgraded, hardware accelerated version of the Doom engine used in the Jaguar and PS1 ports Engine...

Oct 25, 2017
Never played this so it's all new to me. Feels like a mediocre megawad. The graphics change is inexplicably bad, literally everything looks worse, the monsters have that bad 90s smooth CG look, the textures are all ugly brown/grey straight out of Quake, the weapons lost all animation (SSG). The sound is also worse. Hell knights sound like they were dropped on their head, Barons sound like a yawn, demon search noises were confusingly changed to the zombie wake noise from OG Doom. I'll give them a little credit, the chaingun actually sounds better. The music is just lame ambiance.

At least it plays ok. The levels aren't great, too many switches that randomly change stuff halfway across the level, dart traps are just annoying, hidden levels are BS (shot 10 barrels in a level to open a timed door? And the level afterward is just awful). I originally started on the second to last difficulty because I thought the last was the nightmare equivalent. Turns out it was Hurt me Plenty and had to redo 10 levels but at least the difficulty was much better.

It's just interesting that since Doom 2 nobody (at least on the official side) has really understood what made the original what it was, but at least Doom 64 still has level puzzles and strategic combat as opposed to Doom 3's horror crawl and Doom 2016s oops all combat.

BLACK LAC

Nov 5, 2017
Anyone here know how I go about downloading this for free after pre-ordering Doom Eternal for PC from Walmart? Are they (Walmart) supposed to Email me a code?

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah DOOM 64 removed a couple of enemies like the chaingunner, the arch-vile, the revenant and Spider Mastermind, unfortunately. Makes me wonder how it would've been with those enemies in.

The chaingunner and revenant can be some of the most annoying enemies in Doom 2 because of the rapid fire hitscan gun and the homing missiles. Having them in a game based on the controls of the Ninentdo 64 would of drastically increased the difficulty of the game. As for the arch-vile, I imagine there may of been have been some coding issues with reviving demons.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
A little more variety wouldn't have hurt.

By the last quarter of the game I felt like every single closet had a Hell Knight on it. They way overused it to the point I was like "so is it gonna be one or two when I press this button?"

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
As for the arch-vile, I imagine there may of been have been some coding issues with reviving demons.
Nonsense, it would have been just as capable given the functionality (in that area) is unchanged from Doom2.
The only known reason for the limited enemy roster is cartridge space limitations.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Why didn't you up the difficulty if that one was too easy? 🤔

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Is this the first KEX Engine port released for PS4? I hope it means that Turok 1 & 2 might wind up there eventually. Been longing to replay those.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Beat the Lost Levels, which felt more tightly designed than some of the campaign.

Overall I really enjoyed it, I'd put it below the OG Doom and about on par with 2. When it's good, it's really good. When it gets needlessly obtuse or throws the same exact traps at you every time, yeah, not really.

By the end I started to believe they called it Doom 64 because that was the amount of Hell Knights hiding in closets on every single level.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
The chaingunner and revenant can be some of the most annoying enemies in Doom 2 because of the rapid fire hitscan gun and the homing missiles. Having them in a game based on the controls of the Ninentdo 64 would of drastically increased the difficulty of the game. As for the arch-vile, I imagine there may of been have been some coding issues with reviving demons.
If anything I imagine the Revenants would've behaved similarly to their PSX counterpart. In PSX DOOM they were extremely slowed down and almost laughably too easy to kill. (their missiles were also super slow).

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Is this the first KEX Engine port released for PS4? I hope it means that Turok 1 & 2 might wind up there eventually. Been longing to replay those.
It is. Just to add a note, Turok 1 & 2 predate a lot of Kex3's cross platform design, there's some drastic behind the scenes differences regarding threading, platform tasks (save files, network interfaces, profile management, ETC) and low level rendering interfaces. Don't expect ports of stuff predating Doom64 in any small time frame.
Heck, Turok1 still has a lot of code still very clearly designed around it only outputting exclusively to OpenGL, it's why the Switch port never got Vulkan (Turok2 was a little better because we had the foresight to consider DirectX11 at least). It ain't pretty.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
It is. Just to add a note, Turok 1 & 2 predate a lot of Kex3's cross platform design, there's some drastic behind the scenes differences regarding threading, platform tasks (save files, network interfaces, profile management, ETC) and low level rendering interfaces. Don't expect ports of stuff predating Doom64 in any small time frame.
Heck, Turok1 still has a lot of code still very clearly designed around it only outputting exclusively to OpenGL, it's why the Switch port never got Vulkan (Turok2 was a little better because we had the foresight to consider DirectX11 at least). It ain't pretty.

Aw, too bad. Thanks for the answer, though. I'll be sure to be there if/when it happens.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
Why didn't you up the difficulty if that one was too easy? 🤔
I actually started one difficulty down from that and upped at around level 12. After that I kind of forgot about it I guess? 🤔 Maybe I was waiting for that one encounter to be crazy and it just never came around 😅 (except the last boss)

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never played the Doom games as a kid in the 90s, certainly never Doom 64.

while I am really enjoying them, currently playing this one, i have one major gripe:

why the fuck do many door just look like walls? And sometimes the mazes are way too confusing because everything looks the same.

In general, the games mistake being obtuse for being clever and challenging. I definitely appreciate the modern sensibilities of clear communication to the player in games these days.

I beat this on PS4 and its a blast. This is more like Doom 1 and 2. You could say that this is the true Doom 3. Some excellent level design and quick gameplay.

It has quicksave and quickload you can bind to any inactive button, which is great. Its graphics are pretty good, the game does retain that N64 charm but completely clears it up. And it runs godly (on PS4 at least, I guess it should run good on Switch as well).

Just get it for that fiver.
Oh man I didn't know about the quicksave keybinding option. Game changer.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Got to the final level with only on key, still have never beat Doom 64 legitimately. I tried for about an hour with what I had but the homing rockets can just circle around what little cover there is in the level.

Maybe I should finally just give in and look up the entrances for each secret level and give it one last shot. I think it's just complete bullshit that the final boss is nearly unbeatable without the three MacGuffins. I love Doom 64 otherwise but have always hated the whole Unmaker thing.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got to the final level with only on key, still have never beat Doom 64 legitimately. I tried for about an hour with what I had but the homing rockets can just circle around what little cover there is in the level.

Maybe I should finally just give in and look up the entrances for each secret level and give it one last shot. I think it's just complete bullshit that the final boss is nearly unbeatable without the three MacGuffins. I love Doom 64 otherwise but have always hated the whole Unmaker thing.
I beat it on the hardest difficulty last night without using the Unmaker in about fifteen seconds. It's doable. Save your cells and rip into the boss with the BFG.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
I beat it on the hardest difficulty last night without using the Unmaker in about fifteen seconds. It's doable. Save your cells and rip into the boss with the BFG.
If you're going with that approach, this will be required viewing if you're unaware on how the BFG works:
youtu.be

cool bfg strats and how to use it in DOOM

So last week I talked to three different people who didn't know how the BFG worked. I thought this sort of stuff was common knowledge in the community. GUESS...

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
I would have preferred the new levels to be even crazier and bigger but thats just me liking some of the crazy DOOM 2 levels.
Overall amazing DOOM game the real DOOM 3 etc, still like DOOM 2 better.

InPlosion

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
I finished the game on PC some weeks ago, on Watch me Die.
I found it fun, very fun, except for a couple of annoying parts, in which devs relied too much on traps.

The end boss was an utter joke, in both levels. It lasted maybe 10 seconds all the while I blasted the unmaker (unmakyr?), under the effect of an invul sphere.
Not difficult at all, not even a little bit.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
how the fuck does anyone find out how to get the yellow key on map 8 without a guide

The first time through I somehow grabbed the key off the platform via some glitch. The second time I got stuck and had to look it up. The level design in Doom 64 sucks. So much of it revolves around pressing switches that open up something elsewhere in the level with no real indicator of what. Just finished up "The void" and getting the key was just bullshit (did that last switch have to be timed?).

Oct 25, 2017
The lack of quick weapon swapping really hurts.
There's plenty of Lost Soul or Pinky traps, where the room will just fill with them.
Good luck switching to the chainsaw or chaingun before you die if you had the shotgun equipped.
You gotta wait for it to reload, then wait for the very slow change, one weapon at a time, while eating unavoidable damage if you're pinned.
Makes a lot of surprise encounters just unfair.
There's definitely some better things about this port, but this alone makes EX better.

Another problem this game has always had is the quiet doors.
You can hear them closing, but unless you're right in front of it, you won't hear them opening.
This makes a lot of secrets stupid to find. Especially the ones where the switch is disguised.
In the old games, you examine something, and immediately hear that it did something.
In this one, nothing happens, and then several seconds later you'll hear that bad door closing sound effect.
Like the red key secret needed for the first Unmaker key.

Still a good game overall, but some simple updates could vastly improve it.