• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I want to play this so bad but I still have SIGIL, TNT Evilution & Plutonia Experiment to beat (I prefer playing games in chronological order)

I've tried the first level and it's sooo good, oh and the pistol is literally a desert eagle like wtf

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I beat this on PS4 and its a blast. This is more like Doom 1 and 2. You could say that this is the true Doom 3. Some excellent level design and quick gameplay.

It has quicksave and quickload you can bind to any inactive button, which is great. Its graphics are pretty good, the game does retain that N64 charm but completely clears it up. And it runs godly (on PS4 at least, I guess it should run good on Switch as well).

Just get it for that fiver.
Thanks for your reply :)

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I just finished Doom Eternal on PC and a I think I need more Doom in my life. I´d like to have any DOOM game on the Switch and for 5 euros I think this could be the one.

Does it have anything in common with the two new games?
Does it have HD rumble?
What QoL changes have been introduced?
might wanna have a look at the OP

Magnet

Oct 29, 2017
I decided to get this for $5 instead of Eternal for $60 and I'm so glad I did. I love the classic Doom gameplay and never got to play this version before. The final level was pretty ridiculous -
those homing missiles had me raging so much,
but I ended up getting through it. I'm now playing through the Lost Levels, and these honestly seem better quality than many of the original levels to me. I still have a couple to play through, but they did a great job with them so far.

I had that issue too. I was trying to make a jump in a level and kept quickloading whenever I failed. After a fair few quickloads in a short period of time I lost all my saves etc. A restart fixed it just like it did with you.

Also in regards to the game itself, the atmosphere reminds me of the PSX version of Doom. The ambient soundtrack as well as a lot of the sound effects are the same.

I also encountered this issue (PS4). I was playing the Cat and Mouse level and trying my best to abuse quicksaves/loads when all of a sudden they just stopped working. Then I realized the Saves screen had all been cleared out and saving wasn't working at all anymore. I had actually assumed that maybe it was intentional because this was my first time accessing a level using a password, and I figured maybe saving was just supposed to be disabled for those "Fun" levels. Ended up beating those levels without any quicksaves and boy was that a challenge.

The next time I booted the game up, all the saves returned to normal, and saving works normally now. No idea what could have caused it.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
I also encountered this issue (PS4). I was playing the Cat and Mouse level and trying my best to abuse quicksaves/loads when all of a sudden they just stopped working. Then I realized the Saves screen had all been cleared out and saving wasn't working at all anymore. I had actually assumed that maybe it was intentional because this was my first time accessing a level using a password, and I figured maybe saving was just supposed to be disabled for those "Fun" levels. Ended up beating those levels without any quicksaves and boy was that a challenge.

The next time I booted the game up, all the saves returned to normal, and saving works normally now. No idea what could have caused it.
Ugh, I'm starting to think this must be a bug with the PS4 itself. I have tried to reproduce this on my devkit by saving and loading 50 times in the shortest time frame possible and it just doesn't occur. Unless there's something specific you are doing but aren't connecting to the rest of the problem during this, I just cannot reproduce it under any capacity.

Last edited:

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or are achievements bugged? I unlocked 4 of them but now I can't unlock any and for some odd reason it says absolutely 0% of xbox live users unlocked them.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand

Magnet

Oct 29, 2017
Ugh, I'm starting to think this must be a bug with the PS4 itself. I have tried to reproduce this on my devkit by saving and loading 50 times in the shortest time frame possible and it just doesn't occur. Unless there's something specific you are doing but aren't connecting to the rest of the problem during this, I just cannot reproduce it under any capacity.

The bad news is that the bug happened to me again this morning. The good news is that I captured it on video in case the footage might be helpful somehow. Video (this is the last lost level, so spoiler warning for anyone who doesn't want to see that yet): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv65QkJCFVc

The last successful quick save seems to be at 6:50, and it appears that the first instance of the saving system showing signs of failing is at 7:22, where I do a quick save and you can see the screen do the saving animation, but it does not display the "Quick Saved..." confirmation message. I checked my Save Game list shortly after I noticed that change, and it appeared to look normal. A couple more quick save attempts after that, I checked the Save Game list and it was empty. The video ends when I ended up putting my PS4 (Pro, if that matters) to sleep at that point for science, to see if that might fix it, but it did not. Closing the game and rebooting it restored the save functionality and previous saves to normal.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah my saves are gone too. It happened after I used a password to unlock Fun levels with a full loadout. I had beaten the game so I don't really care but its odd.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
The bad news is that the bug happened to me again this morning.
By some chance, do you know if the saves you do after the fact show up when the game restarts? Specifically if you do a quicksave or such after the save list dissappears, does that quicksave persist or does it revert back to before the list bugged when you restarted? I also suspect quickloading breaks as well?

We still aren't sure internally what the problem could be (this is extremely complicated when you can't actually reproduce the issue and the issue itself is silent), but if we can establish that the mounts are completely hosed then we have something to report to Sony with at least.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Finished my second play through yesterday and got the last trophy I needed. Really glad there aren't any silly trophies in this like the recent Doom 1 and 2 releases. Absolutely loved my time with it, honestly probably a little more than Eternal.
I had this happen too, just last night. I was playing for a few levels, but not excessively quicksaving. When it did happen, interestingly, I died on a raising platform. Though the other levels people mentioned I don't think have them, so perhaps nothing to do with it. It was such a minor issue though, a quick restart and everything was fine, but I know as a developer it might drive me a bit nuts. Cheers!

edit: It was Map 23, Unholy Temple, that it happened to me, in the red door area (the raising platforms to come back to the entrance if you fall into the damage floor). I'd played probably 6 levels or so in a row, making a few quicksaves in each level. All of a sudden after I died, I couldn't quickload, and my save and load lists were empty. A quick restart of the game and everything was fine.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42472

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
So...

Does DOOM64 ever get good?

Played through the first three levels and it just seems like an awkwardly quiet game with lots of backtracking without any indication to do so, weak sounding guns, and surprisingly nice looking enemies.

So... DOOM 3 I guess?

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
So...

Played through the first three levels and it just seems like an awkwardly quiet game with lots of backtracking without any indication to do so, weak sounding guns, and surprisingly nice looking enemies.

So... DOOM 3 I guess?

Gets good the second you turn it on.

I played on Watch Me Die and thought it was far more similar to Doom 1-2 than 3, but I don't know what the other difficulties are like.

I'd say give it few more levels at least in any case. It starts a bit slow but ramps up substantially over time so maybe you'll find yourself more engaged by then.

Dec 15, 2017
I am at level 18 and enjoying it so much more than Doom 2016 and Eternal. When a 300 MB WAD from 1997 is your game of the year it speaks volumes about the state of the gaming industry.

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
So...

So... DOOM 3 I guess?

i woulnt call the ssg weaksounding

Deleted member 42472

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Gets good the second you turn it on.

I played on Watch Me Die and thought it was far more similar to Doom 1-2 than 3, but I don't know what the other difficulties are like.

I'd say give it few more levels at least in any case. It starts a bit slow but ramps up substantially over time so maybe you'll find yourself more engaged by then.
Is there a level you would say is particularly indicative?

Because this "the moment you turn it on" really makes me think that I am missing some nostalgia or something because the first two levels were just painful and the third did nothing to improve on that.

I am all for games that take a bit to get going. And the power of the password system means I can actually at least check if it is worth putting the time in.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017

Because this "the moment you turn it on" really makes me think that I am missing some nostalgia or something because the first two levels were just painful and the third did nothing to improve on that.

I am all for games that take a bit to get going. And the power of the password system means I can actually at least check if it is worth putting the time in.

I played the game for the first time recently so it's not nostalgia on my end, I just really enjoyed the game from front to back.

Anyhow, I guess I'd recommend starting on Map09: Even Simpler and going from there? By that point in the game I think it's pretty much the full Doom 64 experience and you'll get to start off on an map that's heavily combat oriented and a direct homage to Doom 2's Map07. Alternatively, if it's possible to password into the Lost Levels from the get-go, try Map36: Cold Grounds.

If you're not into that or the following level or two I don't think you'd find much to like in Doom 64 given how much you disliked what you played so far. Might just be different tastes. I'll say this much: if you're hoping for less switches, levers and backtracking you're probably not gonna be happy with the rest of the game.

Feb 13, 2018
New Jersey
I had this game back in 97 and only played it with cheat codes, but went through all the levels just to see them. Now I'm doing my first legit run and keep dying at the end of level 17 (Watch Your Step). I'm looking forward to the Lost Levels, who knew there would be new content to a 23 year old game? (And wait, the passwords work on older versions of the game too? Is that a kind of cross save?)
Nice touch with the retro internet OP, it was unexpectedly delightful!

Feb 13, 2018
New Jersey

It gets more intense once you get to Hell. If it doesn't grab you a few levels after that, it might not be for you.

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
Quick question. I'm wanting to play through this as if I'm playing through the N64 version. Were you only able to save at the start of a level or whenever you wanted with a memory pak?

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
So...

So... DOOM 3 I guess?

The early levels are kinda weak. I really started digging it after level 8 or so.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
There's something about this game that's so satisfying.
I'm on level 21 and I don't have any of the demon keys. If I use a password for that level with the keys, does that disable achievements?

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
There's something about this game that's so satisfying.
I'm on level 21 and I don't have any of the demon keys. If I use a password for that level with the keys, does that disable achievements?
It's not exactly the intention of the password system, but no it won't disable achievements if you use it (it wasn't exactly functional to check if an N64 password was legit or generated, so we just gave the user the benefit of the doubt).
Quick question. I'm wanting to play through this as if I'm playing through the N64 version. Were you only able to save at the start of a level or whenever you wanted with a memory pak?
The memory pack, as far as we can recall, in fact only saved passwords. Rounding limits and all. Definitely not midlevel saves though, there was barely enough room for that (Hexen tried, it filled the entire pak).

Deleted member 42472

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
I played the game for the first time recently so it's not nostalgia on my end, I just really enjoyed the game from front to back.

Anyhow, I guess I'd recommend starting on Map09: Even Simpler and going from there? By that point in the game I think it's pretty much the full Doom 64 experience and you'll get to start off on an map that's heavily combat oriented and a direct homage to Doom 2's Map07. Alternatively, if it's possible to password into the Lost Levels from the get-go, try Map36: Cold Grounds.

If you're not into that or the following level or two I don't think you'd find much to like in Doom 64 given how much you disliked what you played so far. Might just be different tastes. I'll say this much: if you're hoping for less switches, levers and backtracking you're probably not gonna be happy with the rest of the game.

I am all for backtracking and levers and keys. it is Doom after all

My issue is there being absolutely no indication that a key has teleport ed in right behind me and similar poorly placed switches without any real indication.
It gets more intense once you get to Hell. If it doesn't grab you a few levels after that, it might not be for you.
I'll give it a go. It is doom so I inherently want to like it. But I never realized just how important the sound and industrial music is to doom feeling like doom.

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
It's not exactly the intention of the password system, but no it won't disable achievements if you use it (it wasn't exactly functional to check if an N64 password was legit or generated, so we just gave the user the benefit of the doubt).

The memory pack, as far as we can recall, in fact only saved passwords. Rounding limits and all. Definitely not midlevel saves though, there was barely enough room for that (Hexen tried, it filled the entire pak).
Gotcha. That was my hunch but I didn't want to assume. Thanks!

Dr. Sanchez

Nov 15, 2017
Never played a classic doom game before. What a difference in tone this is compared to eternal; even though I have a chain gun so early on, it still feels a bit tense, largely due to the music. Enjoying how it feels, including the maze-like structure of some levels.

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the original levels last night. I'd rank this one on up there with Doom 1, and miles ahead of Doom 2. It's a fantastic game. I've owned the N64 version for a while now, but never made it that far into it due to having other games to play. I'm glad I finally spent the time on it that it deserves.

One thing that surprised me was how much of an upgrade the engine is over the original ones. The later levels especially. Doom 1 and 2 always look like big abstract spaces with no real apparent purpose, but Doom 64 has recognizable spaces. Things like libraries, castles, are chapels are more obvious, and they make the space you're in feel more real and less like just a level.

I assume a lot of it is just art design, but I have to imagine a lot is due to the engine being upgraded for the N64, and being able to support more detailed geometry and textures.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
got around to finishing the original campaign and doomguy's pose in the final screen looks so much like the short tyler1 meme its uncanny
74f15be4bbf8c0d831b8e6df38ecc30cfe1bdc01.png

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
finished this yesterday, it was excellent, the lost levels were really good, too. definitely a very nice preorder bonus for doom eternal but well worth its normal price if you are into classic doom.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Anyone else think the lost souls in this game are enormous fucking bullshit?

They're rough, and funny enough they're the enemy I was most afraid of along with the pain elementals.

I think they're mostly evened out by their reduced health compared to earlier Doom games, but I did have times where I opened doors, saw pain elementals and had lost souls basically telefrag me, so they can be frustrating for sure.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
saw pain elementals and had lost souls basically telefrag me
So outside of specific maps (MAP30 in Doom2, TNT and Plutonia), enemies in Doom cannot actually telefrag. However Lostsouls in Doom64 do have another trick up their sleeves, if their spawn is obstructed they die like their Doom2 counterpart, but along with it they also cause explosive damage. It's not always lethal but it's enough to prevent intentionally obstructing the Pain Elemental from spawning them.
Another note with them however is the spawn limit changed. In Doom2 it's 21, in 64 it's 18.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
So outside of specific maps (MAP30 in Doom2, TNT and Plutonia), enemies in Doom cannot actually telefrag. However Lostsouls in Doom64 do have another trick up their sleeves, if their spawn is obstructed they die like their Doom2 counterpart, but along with it they also cause explosive damage. It's not always lethal but it's enough to prevent intentionally obstructing the Pain Elemental from spawning them.
Another note with them however is the spawn limit changed. In Doom2 it's 21, in 64 it's 18.

That's a neat little quirk. I wasn't sure exactly what was going on but it makes a lot of sense when I think about the times it happened.

Certainly made me respect their space much more than I ever did in the past

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
This game is the greatest surprise of 2020 to me so far. Ended up getting it on Switch (besides my ps4 copy for preordering eternal), it is amazing! I still prefer Blood in general, but this is the best remaster I've played so far. Thank you Nightdive! And now, please try to get Blood on ps4, or remaster (and make it work!) Blood 2!

killuglypop

Jan 9, 2020
The atmosphere and level design in this game is incredible, at this price it's slowly becoming my favourite Doom game. Yes, there is some backtracking but the gunplay is really satisfying. I've been playing the original Quake a lot this month and now I want to check Quake 64 out as it was apparently made by the same devs as D64. It's tragic really that this game was released in the shadow of Goldeneye and other FPS, you can really see the effort the developers put into making this a great game. I remember reviews for this game at release basically saying 'yeah it's just more Doom'. Hopefully we see more classic FPS ports in the future!

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
Floating shotgun: what did that wonderful button I pressed do?: watch out for skulls!

I remember enjoying Doom 1 and 2 much more, I think this one is slower and there are more buttons? Less different tunes for the soundtrack? I just feel like I'm jogging around endless corridors killing unthreatening demons and wondering what happens when I press buttons. And then there are skulls sometimes, they burn and they are awful.