• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 8, 2017
Game is fun, but brutal. I'm in level 14 and it's definitely not easy.
I'm playing on "Watch me die!", and the difficulty feels very reasonable to me (up to level 21 so far) as long as I play cautiously rather than constantly running around like you must do in the modern games. The only issue I had was a few occasional cheap deaths, like where the floor of a room collapses into a pool of acid without any warning and there's no way to get out of it.

Now Doom Eternal by comparison... I had to lower the difficulty from "Ultra Violence" to "Hurt Me Plenty" in the first level, and I'm still struggling even at the lowered difficulty.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Level 6 seems to have a weird delay on one of the switches that make passing the platform impossible. How did you guys pass it?

Can't remember that part in particular, but are you making sure you're running instead of walking?

I think that's mandatory for quite a few sequences (optional and perhaps otherwise)

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Can't remember that part in particular, but are you making sure you're running instead of walking?

I think that's mandatory for quite a few sequences (optional and perhaps otherwise)
Yup autorun enabled. The other switches switch instantly, but one of them I have to wait 5 seconds to switch on and I always miss the platform by just an inch of a second. :(

Edit I made it! Just by a hair.

okita

Oct 25, 2017
Level 6 seems to have a weird delay on one of the switches that make passing the platform impossible. How did you guys pass it?

If it's the platform in X near the entrance, I didn't have any problems , maybe wait a bit each time you use each switch and let the platform descend before you use the next one, you don't need to rush , just one at a time and run for the other

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
Tip: Like in Doom 1&2 (and lots of older FPS games), you can move much faster by running diagonally instead of straight:
doom.fandom.com

Straferunning

Straferunning is running forward and moving sideways (strafing) at the same time, which results in moving faster than is possible in either direction alone. One of the advantages is being able to jump farther than is otherwise possible. There are two straferunning speeds: SR40 and SR50. The 40...

This makes all platforming considerably easier.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Fuck level 6. Finally beat it! Can't imagine how people could finish that platforming on an N64 controller and probably poor performance too. The platforming is easily the weakest part of the game.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
Wow! Amazing Geo Cities inspired original post! That took me back!

Does anyone know if there are cheat codes available on the Switch version?

DORK

Oct 29, 2017
I know we're a little bit late, but the website I work for has recently launched a gaming section and I offered to review this for them:
happymag.tv

'DOOM 64' by Midway Games: Game Review

Make no mistake – though some at the time balked at DOOM 64's tonal departures, this under-appreciated cult classic is the true sequel to the original DOOM.

It's my second review ever and I'd love if some fellow DOOMers would take a look. Doom was the first game I ever really got into (RIP Skulltag) and I'm really loving Doom 64. Did anyone else fall for the bridge/pit trap on Level 6? I accidentally quicksaved as I fell in and had to restart the level from a pistol-start, but got there eventually. Awesome game!

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Did anyone else fall for the bridge/pit trap on Level 6? I accidentally quicksaved as I fell in and had to restart the level from a pistol-start, but got there eventually.
There's a (very thin) staircase and teleporter on the right. Usual Doom rules still apply, if it was a trap it would have killed you instead.

Deleted member 15447

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tip: Like in Doom 1&2 (and lots of older FPS games), you can move much faster by running diagonally instead of straight:
doom.fandom.com

Straferunning

Straferunning is running forward and moving sideways (strafing) at the same time, which results in moving faster than is possible in either direction alone. One of the advantages is being able to jump farther than is otherwise possible. There are two straferunning speeds: SR40 and SR50. The 40...

This makes all platforming considerably easier.

Just use the sprint button (unbinded by default on PS4).

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Slider all the way to the left + take your Switch outside at 11:30 am in the tropics, under the brightest sun.

With sunglasses on.
JCNID.jpg

Takes me back to trying to play the Game Boy without glare.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I CA
I know we're a little bit late, but the website I work for has recently launched a gaming section and I offered to review this for them:
happymag.tv

Make no mistake – though some at the time balked at DOOM 64's tonal departures, this under-appreciated cult classic is the true sequel to the original DOOM.

It's my second review ever and I'd love if some fellow DOOMers would take a look. Doom was the first game I ever really got into (RIP Skulltag) and I'm really loving Doom 64. Did anyone else fall for the bridge/pit trap on Level 6? I accidentally quicksaved as I fell in and had to restart the level from a pistol-start, but got there eventually. Awesome game!

I really enjoyed that read. Gotta say I agree with your points as well—it's a scary, classic ride that I unfortunately (or was I fortunate enough to have) missed on the N64. I can't believe that only now am I playing this, as I'm overly impressed with the port and how dang well it plays.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Ugh, I forgot that lost souls in Doom 64 are incredible horrifying monsters to face. They die easier than the PC counter parts but are more aggressive and drain your health a lot faster :(

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any Brutal Doom/Project Brutality mods for this version of Doom 64?

From looking around it looks like there have been recreations of Doom 64 for a while but not sure if there's anything that would give this version the same treatment. I want to play this vanilla to start with, but I do enjoy the Brutal versions of the Doom games as well.

Oct 27, 2017
happymag.tv

Great review, and i agree that this port is awesome!

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
There's something so satisfying about the guns in this one. They just have a real punch to them.

Also, as per PS1 DooM, the death scream SFX in this gives me uncomfortable nostalgic fear. It's blood curdling, literally.

Nov 8, 2017
So I finally finished the game on "Watch Me Die" difficulty. The final boss is some straight up bullshit. I saved just as the boss appeared, but I was out of energy cells, so absolutely no hope to defeat it. I ended up having to replay the level and saving my energy cells for the boss. It took six direct hits with the BFG, which doesn't sound like a lot, but the entire encounter just feels like a luck-based mission where you need to constantly move and just hope you don't die. And I literally only just had enough energy cells to take it down.

Aside from the final boss, absolutely loved this game; probably my favourite DOOM game, alongside or better than the PS1 version.

okita

Oct 25, 2017
So I finally finished the game on "Watch Me Die" difficulty. The final boss is some straight up bullshit. I saved just as the boss appeared, but I was out of energy cells, so absolutely no hope to defeat it. I ended up having to replay the level and saving my energy cells for the boss. It took six direct hits with the BFG, which doesn't sound like a lot, but the entire encounter just feels like a luck-based mission where you need to constantly move and just hope you don't die. And I literally only just had enough energy cells to take it down.

Aside from the final boss, absolutely loved this game; probably my favourite DOOM game, alongside or better than the PS1 version.

There are some secret levels with a secret item which makes the final level easy you probably missed those.

Piichan

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
Beat it last night and absolutely loved it. Definitely my favorite "classic" Doom game.

That last level was some Doom 2016 shit lol

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Finished this today, really enjoyed the lost levels, especially the cold castle and the final level. The final lost level is so much better than the BS original final level.

Great game and great port. Incredible value for $5.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Favorite levels were 17, 19, 22, 36, 39.

Least favorite were 6, 18, 21. Only thing I didn't like was that a few levels have like one puzzle too many. 21 is a perfect example,
the red door should be the exit, the backtrack after that just felt excessive.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on level 18 or 19. I'm in love, but some of these puzzles/level designs are fucked up. Some of the switch puzzles I have no idea the logic behind them. I would have been a furious kid if I rented this from Blockbuster, no way I would have ever beaten it

DORK

Oct 29, 2017
There's a (very thin) staircase and teleporter on the right. Usual Doom rules still apply, if it was a trap it would have killed you instead.

I hate myself.

I really enjoyed that read. Gotta say I agree with your points as well—it's a scary, classic ride that I unfortunately (or was I fortunate enough to have) missed on the N64. I can't believe that only now am I playing this, as I'm overly impressed with the port and how dang well it plays.
Great review, and i agree that this port is awesome!

Thanks! Appreciate people giving it a look :)

Nov 8, 2017
There are some secret levels with a secret item which makes the final level easy you probably missed those.
Yes I was aware of that and I searched every level pretty thoroughly before hitting the Exit switch and still didn't find them.

I wonder if these secrets are even meant to be discovered by regular players. From what I remember, a guide was near mandatory for locating Club Doom in the PS1 game. I'll do a second play through with a guide to play the secret levels, but it seems like bullshit if the final level is designed around the expectation that you'll find such well hidden secrets on your own. Honestly, if I'd played this back on N64, I might've just given up on the boss without being able to consult a guide to give me the confidence that it could be beaten given the situation I was in.

the thing about doom eternal is doom64 is a much better game
Couldn't agree more. I'm not a fan of the way modern DOOM forces players into a very narrow play style of constantly running around all the time. That's not what classic DOOM was (unless you wanted to play it that way).

I think the Serious Sam series achieves the modern DOOM gameplay better than modern DOOM. SS is clearer with what you're fighting, and when you're low on health in SS, it means you're actually in trouble and not just one kill away from recovery.

That's not to say I'm not enjoying DOOM Eternal, but it's not the best FPS as far as I'm concerned.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
This game's atmosphere slaps. I'm on Level 12, and man the thunder SFX and skybox are so damn moody.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
The weapons are quite pixelly, while the levels are sharp. Is there anything to be done about that?
I was watching the attract mode the other day and I noticed the double-barreled shotgun did not have any animation, but the sound effect reflects the animation. I assume it was the same way in the N64 version. I rented this game from Blockbuster back in the day, but there's little I can remember of it.

SuiQuan

Oct 25, 2017
Kazakhstan - soon
After pretty much hating Eternal at least I have this to satiate my primal FPS thirst. Never played it before and it's great. Though I had to change from Vulkan to OpenGL to get rid of input lag.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
The weapons are quite pixelly, while the levels are sharp. Is there anything to be done about that?
answered on page 9 pretty much:

Doom64 doesn't have bilinear filtering, it uses a three point filter. And because weapons weren't filtered, it only applied to world elements, not 2D elements (the HUD, menus etc.). So as such we coded a three point filter directly into the texture atlas shader and kept the rule & presentation the same.
thanks for replying! I guess it's harder to implement three point filtering for 2D elements or maybe it made it look to blurry? Well the game looks awesome anyway and I'm glad that this is so close to the N64 version as possible :)
Oh it's dirt easy. They likely just didn't like the look.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I just finished Doom Eternal on PC and a I think I need more Doom in my life. I´d like to have any DOOM game on the Switch and for 5 euros I think this could be the one.

Does it have anything in common with the two new games?
Does it have HD rumble?
What QoL changes have been introduced?

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just finished Doom Eternal on PC and a I think I need more Doom in my life. I´d like to have any DOOM game on the Switch and for 5 euros I think this could be the one.

Does it have anything in common with the two new games?
Does it have HD rumble?
What QoL changes have been introduced?

I beat this on PS4 and its a blast. This is more like Doom 1 and 2. You could say that this is the true Doom 3. Some excellent level design and quick gameplay.

It has quicksave and quickload you can bind to any inactive button, which is great. Its graphics are pretty good, the game does retain that N64 charm but completely clears it up. And it runs godly (on PS4 at least, I guess it should run good on Switch as well).

Just get it for that fiver.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Any technical differences between Switch and PS4? Audio, performance, graphics, load times, anything?