• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Honestly?

This is my favorite "classic Doom". I liked it back in the day, but after playing Doom 1, Doom 2 and Doom 3 in the Switch in a row (and now this)...I just like this one more.

The art style, level design and general "vibe" seems better to me.

I would pay ID and Bethesda a lot for Quake 1 and Quake 2 on the Switch...with texture filtering toggles (ON/OFF)

Brainfreeze

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Honestly?

This is my favorite "classic Doom". I liked it back in the day, but after playing Doom 1, Doom 2 and Doom 3 in the Switch in a row (and now this)...I just like this one more.

The art style, level design and general "vibe" seems better to me.

I would pay ID and Bethesda a lot for Quake 1 and Quake 2 on the Switch...with texture filtering toggles (ON/OFF)

Agreed. I've been playing through all of the Doom games for the first time lately, and I haven't beaten most of them yet, but this one immediately stood out to me. It just feels really good to play. I'm looking forward to playing more.

Kyubajin

Feb 22, 2019
This is truly puzzling. I slammed the quick saving and quick loading over 50 times, I've even shunted the PS4 into rest mode while it was saving, probably the worst thing you could do, and it still hasn't failed. Is there some kind of error message or behaviour you get when the save system apparently failed or does it just stop doing anything meaningful?
No indication whatsoever when the error started. I don't have a button set for quick load so I found out that all the saves were gone when trying to manually load a quick save.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
There are two entrances on your right and left from the starting room , go for the right side first, on your left there is a blue door. My tip is kill most of the enemies while inside the starting room and run fast to the place you want to go, it's not just the fire cannon balls they track you around too

Thanks man, this helped me get past this section.

Piichan

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
Would y'all recommend this game to someone who has only played Doom 3 and Doom 2016 and enjoyed both?
Hmm, depends. I have played all of them. I'm playing Doom 64 for the first time now, and I think 64 is the best of the "classic" Doom games. It's different from 2016 and 3 though.

3 is scary corridors, and 2016 is high tension shooting. 64 and the other classic Doom games feel kind of like... every level is a mini Zelda dungeon with some shooting. If you're interested in this, give it a shot. Fuck, it's cheap anyway, so give it a shot either way.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Like 1 and 2 I think there's a real relaxing thing just turning off the music, putting on my own stuff and just zoning out. I love modern doom but there's something about these maze designs that really works for me in replays

Kyubajin

Feb 22, 2019
Just got my preorder code from amazon, is there any way to quick swap to certain weapons in this version?
I second this, I know the devs are trying to be as faithful to the original as possible but the weapon selection is rather lacklustre. If we could at least see which weapon is getting selected by showing the number.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Just got my preorder code from amazon, is there any way to quick swap to certain weapons in this version?

Not quick-swap per se, but you don't have to wait for each weapon to pop up before moving to the next one. i.e. if you're on the pistol and want to switch to the chaingun, you can just press RB 3(?) times and it'll skip right over the shotgun and super shotgun.

I second this, I know the devs are trying to be as faithful to the original as possible but the weapon selection is rather lacklustre. If we could at least see which weapon is getting selected by showing the number.

Agreed. Would be a welcome improvement.

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if there would be any interest at id to make a new Doom game in the "classic" style.

Interest in the IP in general seems sky high at the minute, and I think it would be an interesting way for them to do some different stuff between the "full" games at what you'd imagine to be fairly modest time and budget.

I have no data for this but the classic games seem to have done well, and word of mouth on 64 specifically seems strong.

Oct 25, 2017
México
I really liked the game, but... I had to crank the brightness up with the built-in options. Is not that it was scary or anything... it's just that it was just simply unplayable on Switch (handheld mode). You can't see anything.

Anyone did the same?

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I wonder if there would be any interest at id to make a new Doom game in the "classic" style.

Interest in the IP in general seems sky high at the minute, and I think it would be an interesting way for them to do some different stuff between the "full" games at what you'd imagine to be fairly modest time and budget.

I have no data for this but the classic games seem to have done well, and word of mouth on 64 specifically seems strong.
Well there's loads of wads out there, and you imagine they'd keep adding them to the Doom 1 & 2 ports.

But a "Sonic Mania" style game with new weapons and enemies would be so exciting. Doom 2016/Eternal certainly have throwbacks to some of the ethos of Classic Doom, but they're very clearly their own thing and don't really seek to ape the overall structure of the originals too much.

KiKaL

Oct 26, 2017

We did kind of get one with Sigil. It's not a brand new campaign but is new content for Doom made by John Romero. Or where you thinking on a new engine?

Dec 6, 2017
US
I'm not playing right now but I bought this Day 1 after begging the shit out of my parents back in the day. I've always loved the game but the N64 felt like shit because you couldn't properly strafe with the stick and as far as I recall there wasn't a proper preset that really worked.

Fast-forward and I ended up patiently waiting for the unofficial PC remake and this is my favorite Doom game after the Doom 1 Playstation port. The atmosphere, darkness and insane music works so brilliantly and on the hardest difficulty borderline turns this into survival horror at points.

blomby

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
User banned (1 month): Hostility and trolling across multiple posts and threads + previous recent bans for trolling
Are you the dumb motherfucker who tried to brag about being some sort of pro-gamer in the OT?

Yeah, no one's listening to your bullshit man.
lol, Doom Eternal makes you feel strong because you're a meek little IT help desk clerk meanwhile my life is so good that I don't need power trips to escape my real life so I can make quality (aka A+) posts and judge games based on their mechanics and implementation of ideas which threatens the crumbling shell of an ego you've built up by shooting grunts on Easy mode

Oct 25, 2017
México
lol, Doom Eternal makes you feel strong because you're a meek little IT help desk clerk meanwhile my life is so good that I don't need power trips to escape my real life so I can make quality (aka A+) posts and judge games based on their mechanics and implementation of ideas which threatens the crumbling shell of an ego you've built up by shooting grunts on Easy mode
What the fuck?

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Idk what to do, level 6 i think were there is a big room with 3 platforms that make you jump and a switch, i press the switch but then the room closes

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
Just started playing this and comparing it with the Doom 64 Retribution fan project (v1.5)

Although Retribution is more feature rich with lots of extra stuff and goodies, this one feels way better to play.

You just can't beat original code for feel factor.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
This game has aged incredibly well. It feels good to play it with a gamepad too. It would be cool to have weapons maped to the d-pad but it's not a big deal

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA

blomby not a beta cuck paypig.

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017
On level 23, if you reload your quick save then you have to re-fight the hell knight in the room with the three switches that you get trapped in the first time. It's annoying because then you don't have enough time to get to the OTHER switch that is accessible once you deal with those three switches. So you need to fight the HK over again, stand and wait for the switches to reset, then hit them again to have enough time. I don't think this is the intended behavior.

actually now its even happening without reloading, i think i can't beat this level at all. I only have one switch left but the bars won't move. It's the closest switch too

okita

Oct 25, 2017
On level 23, if you reload your quick save then you have to re-fight the hell knight in the room with the three switches that you get trapped in the first time. It's annoying because then you don't have enough time to get to the OTHER switch that is accessible once you deal with those three switches. So you need to fight the HK over again, stand and wait for the switches to reset, then hit them again to have enough time. I don't think this is the intended behavior.

That room is a code sequence room, it isn't time gated as far as I remember, just input the code in the right order and go for the location of the switch, there are three locations and one specific code for each of them , doing the wrong code will trigger the enemies (the codes are beside each switch or door btw)

Last edited:

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland

actually now its even happening without reloading, i think i can't beat this level at all. I only have one switch left but the bars won't move. It's the closest switch too
This is completely intentional, though it is very unusual for Doom. Every time you jump over the gap the 3 switches reset. You then need to enter one of the 3 valid combination sequences you see around the level to raise the corresponding bars next to them. There are 6 possible sequences with three switches, so the other 3 sequences are wrong and will spawn hell knights every single time you enter one of them.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Nov 7, 2019
Is there somewhere I can get a in depth look into the development of this game? Like an article or video? I'm aware it was Midway, but just how much influence did people from id have over this project. It feels 100% like an id game.

Tarkus

Oct 25, 2017
US
!!
No (if it had, we'd have included it). The levels are explicitly designed against it as well.
Not replying to this post, just you, Level 5 and 6 on Xbox one X...every time I open something new, there a huge fps hitch. Tried to play through it but it gets me killed constantly. It's with every new switch that opens something up.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Is there somewhere I can get a in depth look into the development of this game? Like an article or video? I'm aware it was Midway, but just how much influence did people from id have over this project. It feels 100% like an id game.

I remember reading at one point that id was involved (like they gave some input on it) but that it was largely developed by that Midway team. I could be totally misremembering but I believe that to be the case.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
I seem to be stuck on level 12... I'll figure it out! I'm not looking for help yet, but the level does make me wonder why are there two forms of the automap? The first one seems useless as I'm always instantly jumping to the classic wireframe version. I wish there was an option to turn off the first version of the map.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
This is truly puzzling. I slammed the quick saving and quick loading over 50 times, I've even shunted the PS4 into rest mode while it was saving, probably the worst thing you could do, and it still hasn't failed. Is there some kind of error message or behaviour you get when the save system apparently failed or does it just stop doing anything meaningful?
I also just got this bug on ps4. I was loading a quicksave after missing a jump for a secret a few times and it erased all my saves manual and quick. Closing the game and booting it again fixed the issue like you suggested. I never put my ps4 into rest mode during the time I was playing doom 64, and the ps4 was completely off before I started playing it.

Not sure if it helps you any but just thought I would mention it.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Level 5 and 6 on Xbox one X...every time I open something new, there a huge fps hitch. Tried to play through it but it gets me killed constantly. It's with every new switch that opens something up.
Might just be related to caching of new sounds (the first time a sound is played, it's cached into a hashmap for FMOD to quickly grab). Should be addressable if that's the issue. No specific testing on the One X seems to produce any unique problems with these levels on the Xbox, however.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
I also just got this bug on ps4. I was loading a quicksave after missing a jump for a secret a few times and it erased all my saves manual and quick. Closing the game and booting it again fixed the issue like you suggested. I never put my ps4 into rest mode during the time I was playing doom 64, and the ps4 was completely off before I started playing it.

Not sure if it helps you any but just thought I would mention it.
Strange question, but if you can remember it, did your profile name and avatar still display properly in the bottom right corner of the screen in the menu?

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
I really liked the game, but... I had to crank the brightness up with the built-in options. Is not that it was scary or anything... it's just that it was just simply unplayable on Switch (handheld mode). You can't see anything.

Anyone did the same?

I'm the complete opposite. The default settings in Switch handheld mode were far too bright for me, I had to crank it way down. Although I did grow up with the original on N64 which was so dark on a CRT it was borderline unplayable.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Look at the threadmarks/highlights. There's a post tagged in there from the previous page which is full of magazine scans/interviews...
I remember reading at one point that id was involved (like they gave some input on it) but that it was largely developed by that Midway team. I could be totally misremembering but I believe that to be the case.
The credits page from the manual showing id and Midway staff is in the OP.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Look at the threadmarks/highlights. There's a post tagged in there from the previous page which is full of magazine scans/interviews...

The credits page from the manual showing id and Midway staff is in the OP.

Right, but there's a difference between being in the credits and being involved with actual day to day development. Pretty sure Midway handled the day to day stuff and most of the actual design work while id mostly approved and gave input on stuff. Again, I could be wrong about that but id would've been deep into the development of Quake 2 which came out later that same year ('97) so I have a hard time believing they were heavily involved with this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Right, but there's a difference between being in the credits and being involved with actual day to day development. Pretty sure Midway handled the day to day stuff and most of the actual design work while id mostly approved and gave input on stuff. Again, I could be wrong about that but id would've been deep into the development of Quake 2 which came out later that same year ('97) so I have a hard time believing they were heavily involved with this.
Which is sorta what the credits there and the aforementioned interviews tell ya :D