• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 30, 2017
Loved this back in the day, but didn't play it a ton as I didn't have a 64. Massive Id fan, and I didn't understand how the reviews were so harsh on the game.
Playing it now, it's even better than I remembered. The lighting, music, levels, feel. It's truly excellent.
Engine feels like 0.75 Quake.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I finished level 5 but I wanted how to reach the supercharge powerup. And btw, now with lost souls, cacodemons and barons being more common I can't abuse the chainsaw tho.

Wasp

Oct 29, 2017
Is the downloadable code for this game included in every new copy of Doom Eternal (PS4) or was it strictly a pre-order thing?

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I beat the game. My advice, get the keys. The last level is no joke. Even not on Bring it On. Pain Elementals can fucking die in a fire.

OmahaGTP

Dec 24, 2017
I've never played this before, and played the originals back on release, and I'm really impressed. There is some neat level design and a few unexpected traps have made me jump a few times.

I imagine some of the original devs reading these new impressions and throwing their hands in the air.

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never played this before, and played the originals back on release, and I'm really impressed. There is some neat level design and a few unexpected traps have made me jump a few times.

I imagine some of the original devs reading these new impressions and throwing their hands in the air.

Its my fave of the classic Doom bunch.

I was really impressed with most of the level design and verticality in it. id should've called this Doom 3, though it did feel a bit dated when it came out. But the Doom strafe 'n shoot gameplay simply held up better than, say, Goldeneye. Which is why they are still so playable today.

EDebs1916

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Loved this back in the day, but didn't play it a ton as I didn't have a 64. Massive Id fan, and I didn't understand how the reviews were so harsh on the game.
Playing it now, it's even better than I remembered. The lighting, music, levels, feel. It's truly excellent.
I'm really enjoying my play through but it came out at a time that games like Turok and Goldeneye greatly expanded the FPS vocabulary on consoles in 3D for the first time while this game still used sprites for enemies and weapons and had switches galore as the main driver to move through the environment.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Finished the main set of levels earlier, it's a pretty solid game, prefer the original id Software games by a large margin, but it's good if you want some more Doom. The end boss was actually pretty tough, took me a quite a few tries. The puzzle design is a bit convoluted sometimes, it really slows down the pace of the game at times.

The Fun levels are not what I would call fun! Managed to beat one so far, though.

Going to play The Lost Levels next.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
It really was a hidden gem at the time. Back then everyone wanted 3D graphics though, because it was the hot new shit.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Just bought this on Switch, anyone else finding it a bit dark?
Brightness settings are in the display options. Game defaults to 50% brighter than the original for both post-gamma and environment lighting. It also might be possible your backlight is set a smidge too low, though it may just come down to personal preference.

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
i remember first playing doom 64 when i was 8 or 9 getting excited cause i thought it was the pc port, i powered it on and boy i was not ready for the darkness and that music. it scared the shit otta me, i froze up at my first pinky encounter.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Edward850 is there a reason why the weapons aren't using any bilinear filtering?
Doom64 doesn't have bilinear filtering, it uses a three point filter. And because weapons weren't filtered, it only applied to world elements, not 2D elements (the HUD, menus etc.). So as such we coded a three point filter directly into the texture atlas shader and kept the rule & presentation the same.

If I buy this on Steam, do I still have to use Bethesda's launcher?
Nope.

Last edited:

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
I'm enjoying the fuck out of this game. Thanks to you all Nightdive Studios and ID for bringing it to new platforms!

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
This is my first time playing and I'm enjoying it slightly more than Eternal in a way. The atmosphere and visuals are so good.

Also, playing with the gyro motion controls on ps4 is fun.
Trust me, as a dude who played the original in 97, the visuals really stand out here. I'm taken aback at the standout lighting and general smooth gameplay. For 5 dollars, this is so worth it.

JustInsane

Oct 27, 2017
Bought it earlier, and having fun. Nostalgia for sure. I still remember a lot of the secrets even though i was like 8 when I played it back in the day.

Deleted member 15447

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loving it so far.

Getting some minor stuttering/freezing on PS4 Pro.

Turning around a corner, very rarely the game freezes as the enemy gets into view. Sometimes pushing a switch stutters a little. Or the first time you kill a new enemy type there's a decent stutter as well.

Very rarely but very noticeable when it does happen.

Last edited:

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finished the main set of levels earlier, it's a pretty solid game, prefer the original id Software games by a large margin, but it's good if you want some more Doom. The end boss was actually pretty tough, took me a quite a few tries. The puzzle design is a bit convoluted sometimes, it really slows down the pace of the game at times.

The Fun levels are not what I would call fun! Managed to beat one so far, though.

Going to play The Lost Levels next.

The keys make the final boss trivial. I didn't have it and beat it legit. I just restarted the level, if you save energy cells and save scum during the encounter (if you're not hit for some time and frag quite some demons), you have enough BFG to take the final boss down. Then I tried it with a password that had all items, the maxed unmaker trivializes the game. Even at 2 upgrades its ridiculously strong.

Fun levels I also passworded, they're not fun lol. Beat them all though.

Lost levels are solid so far, I'm at the 4th or 5th.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Playing for the first time since the Mesozoic.

the first 4-5 levels aren't captivating me so far. It reminds me of the middling Doom 2 levels.

that's why you always gotta be wary of those "more of the same" reviews. they can be outdated super quick once you're a bit removed from the context of "I always play everything current" ...
It happened with the IGA Castlevania, they made 6 games in 7 years, of course people weren't buying them anymore...

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
damn, I missed the first demon key so I can't fully upgrade the unmaker

advice for everyone who wants to:
you need to find the secret exit in level 4: holding area

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017
How do I access the new levels? Is it a menu option after beating the game? Do I need to find them in other levels?

Deleted member 47076

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
Trust me, as a dude who played the original in 97, the visuals really stand out here. I'm taken aback at the standout lighting and general smooth gameplay. For 5 dollars, this is so worth it.

I thought it was going to be $10 because it hadn't been re-released before and fans would've still eaten it up. 5 is a steal.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
Anybody know how many levels are in this including the new 'uns?

How meaty is the extra chapter?

6 levels plus a new fun level. It's pretty cool!

How do I access the new levels? Is it a menu option after beating the game? Do I need to find them in other levels?

New option once you beat the game. You go into new game and choose between Doom 64 and Lost Levels.

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Beaten Final Judgment and got all trophies.

Final Judgment is a far better stage than the vanilla ending. Because, if you haven't upgraded, you can scout the corners and do it here. There is also more cover so its easier in general.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Doom64 doesn't have bilinear filtering, it uses a three point filter. And because weapons weren't filtered, it only applied to world elements, not 2D elements (the HUD, menus etc.). So as such we coded a three point filter directly into the texture atlas shader and kept the rule & presentation the same

thanks for replying! I guess it's harder to implement three point filtering for 2D elements or maybe it made it look to blurry? Well the game looks awesome anyway and I'm glad that this is so close to the N64 version as possible :)

russbus64

May 1, 2018
Just beat all the levels. Pretty dang good way to end my classic play-through. In 2019 I beat Doom, Doom II, Master Levels for Doom II, Xbox exclusive levels, PSX exclusive levels. I eventually beat Final Doom yesterday, and will play through Doom 3 at some point (right now, Animal Crossing and Doom Eternal have my attention).

I might revisit Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal again when the Switch version of Eternal goes on sale.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
The keys make the final boss trivial. I didn't have it and beat it legit. I just restarted the level, if you save energy cells and save scum during the encounter (if you're not hit for some time and frag quite some demons), you have enough BFG to take the final boss down. Then I tried it with a password that had all items, the maxed unmaker trivializes the game. Even at 2 upgrades its ridiculously strong.

Fun levels I also passworded, they're not fun lol. Beat them all though.

Lost levels are solid so far, I'm at the 4th or 5th.
I noticed the switches at the end boss, but had no keys, I'll have to try that next time.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Never played it back in the day, but picked it up yesterday since you guys have been talking it up so much.

So far it's pretty solid, and they did a good job with the controls and graphics on the PS4 Pro version at least. I will say though that it doesn't feel like a Doom game, really. It feels like an experience game mod team wanted to make a Duke Nukem 3D expansion but got turned down, and were then tasked with making a Doom game, which they weren't familiar with, so they just winged it.

The power ups are in the weirdest places, nowhere near any of the action. I can't tell if certain things like Berserk are active or if they expired, so half the time I never really even benefit from the power ups since they're not adjacent to scenarios where I could use them. (though in some areas it seems they realized they needed to drop certain things like health packs and ammo in specific spots because otherwise you can't pass that area)

The enemy designs are pretty mixed too. Some of the soldiers look neat, but the Imp and the Pinky look hilariously awful. Just TERRIBLE. I'm only 4 levels in so I haven't encountered all of them, but I did see a bunch in the opening startup screen. I think some of the weapon design changes are a little weird, but for the most part things feel and play pretty well. Thankfully I'm not getting any input lag like I STILL GET with Doom 1/2.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
I had an N64 and despite being a Doom fan, never got it.

Just bought on the Switch along with Doom 3 and Metro Redux to fill some time for Doom Eternal.

I'm really enjoying D64 so far.

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
I can't tell if certain things like Berserk are active or if they expired, so half the time I never really even benefit from the power ups since they're not adjacent to scenarios where I could use them.
Yeah, this is a legacy Doom problem. The berserk powerup stays active for the rest of the map after you pick it up, exactly as it does in Doom and Doom II. This is the only exception. All the other Powerups (partial invisibility, radsuit, invincibility, light amplification visor) have very visible screen effects and you can tell exactly when their effect is over.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
thanks for replying! I guess it's harder to implement three point filtering for 2D elements or maybe it made it look to blurry? Well the game looks awesome anyway and I'm glad that this is so close to the N64 version as possible :)
Oh it's dirt easy. They likely just didn't like the look.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Yeah, this is a legacy Doom problem. The berserk powerup stays active for the rest of the map after you pick it up, exactly as it does in Doom and Doom II. This is the only exception. All the other Powerups (partial invisibility, radsuit, invincibility, light amplification visor) have very visible screen effects and you can tell exactly when their effect is over.

Did they really? I always remember my punches eventually becoming ineffective, so I had to switch back to a gun of some sort, which made Berserk a bit of a gamble since I couldn't easily tell when it was about to end.

But you're saying it never ends until end of level? Something isn't adding up...

EDIT: Also, we don't have Doomguy's face at the bottom of the screen to give us any hints about his current state either.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
Man Night Dive Studios is doing fantastic work knocking it out of the park porting these new ports. I couldn't believe it when they ported Turok 64 and got it working on modern systems.

Can't wait to play Doom 64 for the first time - I beat Doom, Doom 2, and Final Doom for the first time this year too.

Lork

Oct 25, 2017
Did they really? I always remember my punches eventually becoming ineffective, so I had to switch back to a gun of some sort, which made Berserk a bit of a gamble since I couldn't easily tell when it was about to end.

But you're saying it never ends until end of level? Something isn't adding up...

EDIT: Also, we don't have Doomguy's face at the bottom of the screen to give us any hints about his current state either.
It was all in your head. The berserk pack has always stayed active until the next level in every Doom game before 3.

Keep in mind that those games also have an obscene amount of random damage variance, making it hard to get a firm grasp of exactly how much damage a given weapon does from casual observation. The berserk fist does between 20 and 200 damage, meaning that it ranges from being too weak to kill a shotgunner to being strong enough to one shot a pinky demon depending on how lucky you are.

Last edited:

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
It was all in your head. The berserk pack has always stayed active until the next level in every Doom game before 3.

Keep in mind that those games also have an obscene amount of random damage variance, making it hard to get a firm grasp of exactly how much damage a given weapon does from casual observation. The berserk fist does between 20 and 200 damage, meaning that it ranges from being too weak to kill a shotgunner to being strong enough to one shot a pinky demon depending on how luck you are.

Okay that makes sense. All I knew is if an enemy survived 2 punches I got THE HELL out of there and switched back to a gun. I think the first handful of times I got Berserk the first time I played Doom ever, I thought it *also* made me invincible. Learned that lesson pretty quick.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
We are 200% sure it lasts till the end of the level. https://github.com/chocolate-doom/c...0abf940ed63635bd2861e0/src/doom/p_user.c#L331
There's nothing that stops the pw_strength counter from counting up. It'll keep going for 2 years. Doom64 keeps the same behaviour (though the fade goes out much quicker to remove it as a distraction).

Well damn, now I feel like I've missed out on tons of fun "punch everything to death" level runs all these years.

Yeah I can see how getting rid of the effect helps, especially in dark areas or places with weird lighting. Thanks for the info!

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Did it take anyone else FOREVER to figure out how to exit level 5? The game is so damn cryptic at times. You press a switch and have no idea where or what it's just done. This particular switch flashes red before deactivating so it looks like it does nothing but it actually temporarily activates the teleport in the other corner of the room. FFS. Took me ages to notice.

Kyubajin

Feb 22, 2019
Made it to level 18 and then all my save files were gone, couldn't save or load at all... And yes I know I can use passwords to go back to where I was, but damn.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Made it to level 18 and then all my save files were gone, couldn't save or load at all... And yes I know I can use passwords to go back to where I was, but damn.
PS4? If so did you try restarting the game? Also what were you doing before hand? We've seen exactly one other report on this on PS4 and have less than zero leads, so any information at all would be... well something.

Last edited:

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
The lost levels were great! Cold Grounds and Final Judgment are my favorites. (I hope you love Cyberdemons on Watch Me Die).

Good stuff, loved the new D64 content.