• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
I'm kind of out of the loop when it comes to DOOM's history, so a quick question as an outsider: Why was this not called DOOM 3 to begin with? Is it not considered to be a part of the main series? Did people find it odd back then when they eventually did release a DOOM 3?
Wasn't developed by Id internally but instead by the team at Midway who had previously ported the original to the PS1, so I don't think the game could be conceived as anything other than a spinoff at the time. Though they should have stuck with the original title "Absolution" instead of calling it Doom 64. Doom 64 makes it sound like just another port of the original, which it clearly wasn't, which it probably why it's been overlooked for so long.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Wasn't developed by Id internally but instead by the team at Midway who had previously ported the original to the PS1, so I don't think the game could be conceived as anything other than a spinoff at the time. Though they should have stuck with the original title "Absolution" instead of calling it Doom 64. Doom 64 makes it sound like just another port of the original, which it clearly wasn't, which it probably why it's been overlooked for so long.
Yup. In every single thread about DOOM64 that I've seen on this forum so far, we've had at least one person going "whoa this is a new game and not just a port of DOOM?"

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Yup. In every single thread about DOOM64 that I've seen on this forum so far, we've had at least one person going "whoa this is a new game and not just a port of DOOM?"
That said, I really would have liked to see what a port of the original Doom would be like on the N64. It's the only 5th gen system that didn't get a port despite being the best suited for it. But then again, I guess the N64 offering up such a big performance advantage was part of the reason why they did decide to make a whole new game.

Deleted member 36186

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Having a great time with this on switch! Great atmosphere and music. And that shotgun with the controller vibration never gets old.

Had a few stutters and frame drops on portable mode though, which is very weird for something like this. I'm even afraid of turning on AA, worrying that it will worsen performance 😅

Jun 17, 2018
Having a great time with this on switch! Great atmosphere and music. And that shotgun with the controller vibration never gets old.

Had a few stutters and frame drops on portable mode though, which is very weird for something like this. I'm even afraid of turning on AA, worrying that it will worsen performance 😅

On level 5 and with SMAA on it doesn't seem bad at all, couple of little blips but nothing major. Loving the game so far. I cannot believe I never bought this on the N64.

A bunch of useful tips incl. password generator

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
Some tidbits of information (mainly for PC players):
  • If you play with mouse and keyboard and have some experience with Doom, you should absolutely play on "Watch me die" difficulty, this corresponds to Ultraviolence in OG Doom. There is no Nightmare difficulty with respawning enemies in Doom 64. Unfortunately you can't change the difficulty later, but you can always generate a password to jump to the level you want with the equipment you want (see below).
  • You can skip the intros on the Steam version with this launch parameter (Go to Game Properties -> General -> Set Launch Options):
    -skipmovies
  • If you go through Hectic and unlock the Features menu, be careful not to activate any of the options and saving afterwards. Doing so will disable all all achievements and even flag your savegame, so you can't get any achievements with that savegame. If that happens to you, you can use this tool to generate a password to bring you back to the beginning of whatever level with whatever equipment you want and continue getting achievements:
  • You can restore the original health packs with the red cross:
    steamcommunity.com

Steam Community :: Guide :: Red Cross Medkits Pwad File

A simple wad file that reverts the medkits to the original 1997 versions without having to edit doom64.wad...
    But be warned: This will disable achievements, but only while running the game with this option. Your savegame will not be flagged.

This is a great port so far, and the game totally holds up. So much fun. I was initially disappointed that you can't look up or down with mouselook like with other Doom source ports or even Doom 64 EX, but it works totally fine and a lot of the puzzles and secrets rely on this behaviour. Quite a lot more than in Doom and Doom II, so I understand why it was done.

Last edited:

G.O.O.

Oct 26, 2017
On level 5 and with SMAA on it doesn't seem bad at all, couple of little blips but nothing major. Loving the game so far. I cannot believe I never bought this on the N64.
By the way, anyone can explain me the different AA settings ? It's hard to see a difference when you don't know anything about it.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
everytime i tell myself "im just going to play one level of this" i wind up playing 3 or 4 haha. game still holds up! the only thing this port is missing is the stupid over the top demon shootout on top of the doom logo that plays in the original when you boot up the game

May 15, 2018
Denmark
Anyone with problems with binding keys in the pc version - find the file kexengine.cfg and edit it to your heart's desire.
The keybinding is a nightmare of an interface design.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see so many enjoying their time with this game.

Another "lost" id game is the N64 version of Quake 2, which had a unique set of levels, but ran on a modified version of the Quake 1 engine (IIRC). I always hope that one day we'll see it return in some form. There was a fan mod years back, but it was never completed. It's essentially an expansion to the original game.

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
That said, I really would have liked to see what a port of the original Doom would be like on the N64. It's the only 5th gen system that didn't get a port despite being the best suited for it. But then again, I guess the N64 offering up such a big performance advantage was part of the reason why they did decide to make a whole new game.
Yeah, I am one of these people. I have learned that Doom 64 is not just a port in 2020. Crazy thing is that I consider myself a Doom fan and typically have pretty decent knowledge of video games.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
By the way, anyone can explain me the different AA settings ? It's hard to see a difference when you don't know anything about it.
SMAA looks best to me so it's what I'm using. Does a nice job of cleaning up polygon edges without blurring the rest of the image too much. FXAA-fast adds a very noticeable full-screen blur and regular FXAA is somewhere in the middle.

Kabukimurder

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is there any way to remove the latency when using the mouse controls? I guess i should play this with a controller but would like to try it with a mouse without getting vsync-like latency (with vsync off)

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Glad to see so many enjoying their time with this game.

Another "lost" id game is the N64 version of Quake 2, which had a unique set of levels, but ran on a modified version of the Quake 1 engine (IIRC). I always hope that one day we'll see it return in some form. There was a fan mod years back, but it was never completed. It's essentially an expansion to the original game.
the DOOM64 ports got announced about 15-18 months after I finally caved an bought the original CIB N64 game. I bought Quake 2 N64 last summer so we should have it announced next winter lol

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
No quick save is a huge bummer. Also doesn't feel as weighty as the Original and Doom 2, and the graphics are not great, but at least I can understand that. Would also prefer just the wireframe map, and zoomed out like 4x.

Still not bad for $5

Edit: I forgot, not being able to jam buttons to skip the opening studio logos is a pita, love that about the other version on the switch.
This game has quick save and quick load. You just have to configure in the options.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
it should start off fairly bright actually (set at the midway point)?! the original was VERY dark. the default setting is brighter than that.

I actually upped it a little from the default. It was dark on both my tv and switch itself and I've never had issues in other games. But maybe this IS way brighter than the original lol

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait WHAT?

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
It's not a video it's realtime. And the better way to skip all videos is just to use Game Properties -> General -> Set Launch Options
-skipmovies
If you don't press escape you'll see the Logo shootout.
i feel like the difference between deleting files and setting a launch option are so negligible that calling one method better is comical

Nov 8, 2017
I'd never played this game before now. This is exactly what I wanted in a new DOOM game! All the amazing improved audio and soundtrack styling of the PS1 game combined with some colourful atmospheric graphics and new levels!

Best new game I've played so far this year!

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
First time playing the game (Switch version). I don't know what it is, but I find the atmosphere to be more eerie than other Doom games.
This is what a lot of console people have been saying for years! My first exposure to Doom was the PS1 game which was a lot like this game. Then came Doom 64. Doom's history is a weird tale of two Dooms. PC players experience original Doom more like the 2016 remake. Action.

Because of the completely different soundtrack in the ps1 and n64 games, we got a totally different experience! I think that's why half the people loved Doom 3 and the other half hated it!

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Funny, I didn't like Doom64 in the day because it was so different than the Doom I loved, but today I can appreciate it for what it is. Frankly, like most games of the era, it's a better game than modern FPS.

This new version of Doom 64 (compared to the old freely released version made by the same devs years ago) really is fantastic.

They've updated the texture filtering from modern anisotropic (can't just eyeball it in those small environments) to N64's 3-point bilinear. I can't eyeball the authenticity, but it looks damn good to me!

Also I can run this version just fine at 144hz (which is astoundingly unauthentic, sure), but the old version had this judder problem on my high framerate display + Gsync.

I am sad I can't just copy paste my saves though - the save file format is completely different and looks like it has some checksuming.

Those publisher movie files every time you launch are pretty terrible, but deleting them bypasses of course. But man, imagine waiting that long for a game that can load in .1 second...

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
It's a very good port and improved framerate makes it feel satisfying to move and shoot, however I will admit there was plenty of times so far where I had to keep searching the map because I missed a slightly visible keycard or switch. Maybe I need to adjust to this style of level design again.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Idk how I ever managed to play this as a kid. I continue to kiss buttons on walls. Shooting feels satisfying as ever at least.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
everytime i tell myself "im just going to play one level of this" i wind up playing 3 or 4 haha. game still holds up! the only thing this port is missing is the stupid over the top demon shootout on top of the doom logo that plays in the original when you boot up the game

I mean I'm literally watching this on my Switch right now. It's definitely in!

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Anybody know how many levels are in this including the new 'uns?
i think i was consistently pressing something to try and skip past the photosensitivity warning out of habit and accidentally skipping it!
Ahh it's so good. Pure late 90's cheese, but I love it. Also the theme for N64/PS1 Doom is so damn haunting/EVIL.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
yup, Quake 2 N64 is a new/very very remixed Quake game.

I always had problems with N64 games being dark on Wii Virtual Console. I don't have this on Switch, but I'm not having this issue on the PS4 version.
That was due to the emulator setting, the muddy darkness filter was most likely in these to have a blanket solution for possible seizure inducing scenes which weren't accounted for back then. Got nothing to do with the games themselves being N64 games or anything.
I am sad I can't just copy paste my saves though - the save file format is completely different and looks like it has some checksuming.
You can use passwords cross-platform with all versions. If you have passwords from your old save, you can use those in the new version (and vice versa).

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
This game is really good. I'm about 10 levels in, and enjoying pretty much everything about it. Level design is great, puzzles are interesting without being too convoluted. Ambience is great too, nice dark aesthetic that captures that Doom feeling perfectly. I'm surprised how well the graphics hold up.

Looking at the original reviews, this has to be like the most underrated game of all time. I understand the burnout on Doom ports by 1997, but still, pretty spectacular failure to recognize quality here.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
You can use passwords cross-platform with all versions. If you have passwords from your old save, you can use those in the new version (and vice versa).

Aha, yeah I caught they put the password thing in the options menu. I thought they had removed inputting password because it wasn't on the same screen with 'load game'

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Looking at the original reviews, this has to be like the most underrated game of all time. I understand the burnout on Doom ports by 1997, but still, pretty spectacular failure to recognize quality here.
that's why you always gotta be wary of those "more of the same" reviews. they can be outdated super quick once you're a bit removed from the context of "I always play everything current" ...

Oct 27, 2017
Prior to 2016/Eternal, this has to be the best Doom game. I had never played it until now, and damn it's really an amazing evolution of everything that the original Doom's were.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing this on the Switch and have been really pleasantly surprised. I skipped this back in the day based largely on the reviews people have been quoting, when it was considered old hat next to GoldenEye and Quake. I knew it was a whole new game, but you know — sprite-based enemies? 🧐

But I was playing Doom 3 recently, also on Switch, and it's striking how much better this has aged. It's much more like a sequel to Doom and Doom 2 than Doom 3 was!