• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So what do people recommend?

- Doom
- Doom 2
- Doom 64
- Doom 2016
- Doom Eternal

Is there a reason to play Final and Doom 3. Ive heard mixed opinions

Hm, DOOM ≥ Eternal > 2016 > DOOM 2 ≥ DOOM 64 > DOOM 3 > Final DOOM for me. I don't think any of the games are bad but Final DOOM is borderline. DOOM 2 and 64 are good on account of the fact they're based on DOOM and are more of it and slightly different, but they're also kind of redundant and the level design and balance simply aren't as good. All IMO, ofc. Picking a favorite DOOM can be like picking a favorite Mario, Sonic, or Zelda.

But yeah, all of them are generally recommended, Final DOOM aside (the two campaigns that make up Final DOOM, TNT and Plutonia, are included in the ports of both DOOM and DOOM 2 for Switch/Xbox/PS4, etc. anyway). While I don't think DOOM 3 is as good as the two games I place above it, it's at least worth playing because it offers something significantly different and it's got high production values and solid gameplay. The BFG Edition is more accessible and widely available (the port on consoles is derived from it), but be aware of its many tweaks from the OG version.

Another one to think about is PSone DOOM, if it's feasible, down the road. It goes heavy on the colored lighting and mixes some of the horror atmospherics of DOOM 64 (same composer) while offering almost all of the levels in DOOM 1 & 2 + its own set of gameplay tweaks.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I remember renting this back in the day and hating how dark it was, glad I will finally get to enjoy it with decent lighting.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I saw this asked earlier but didn't see a response. What is the best brightness setting to match the original? Game seems way too bright.

Jun 17, 2018
I've played this more than Eternal so far and absolutely love it. It feels like a proper sequel to Doom 2 and I always thought it was just a remake of Doom for the N64.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Pretty impressed with this port. Nightdive did another amazing job.

I will definitely play through the whole thing again, because I only played it when it originally came out.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
This OT rules.

Unfortunately I was not able to afford Doom Eternal during this period, but thankfully I can just purchase this individually soon. At $5 I think they are seriously undervaluing it though. Doom 1, 2 and this all are absolutely worth at least $10.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Been playing a little bit. Seems like a good port (though that's not unexpected). Compared to the original, I really appreciate not having to adjust the screen brightness and not having to change my controls every time I boot it up.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
No quick save is a huge bummer. Also doesn't feel as weighty as the Original and Doom 2, and the graphics are not great, but at least I can understand that. Would also prefer just the wireframe map, and zoomed out like 4x.

Still not bad for $5

Edit: I forgot, not being able to jam buttons to skip the opening studio logos is a pita, love that about the other version on the switch.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This is a very good port, and I'm thrilled this game is finally having its moment. It is a shame that there is no quick weapon select using the d-pad however. Adding that to the recent Doom 1 and 2 ports was so essential (I know this is a different studio), though the PS3 Doom Classic Complete still has the best implementation. It does hold this version back from playing as good as it could, especially on the harder difficulties. If this receives an update, I hope this is added, even if it is just option to manually bind the weapons.
No quick save is a huge bummer. Also doesn't feel as weighty as the Original and Doom 2, and the graphics are not great, but at least I can understand that. Would also prefer just the wireframe map, and zoomed out like 4x.

Still not bad for $5

Edit: I forgot, not being able to jam buttons to skip the opening studio logos is a pita, love that about the other version on the switch.
The game does have quicksave, you just have to manually bind it. I use R3 for qucksave and L3 for quickload. There is no confirmation prompt on the load, so you just have to be thoughtful when using it. Manually save at the start of every level in case of making a mistake. The other ports version of quicksave/load would be ideal, but this definitely works, and I'm really glad it is there.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
This is a very good port, and I'm thrilled this game is finally having its moment. It is a shame that there is no quick weapon select using the d-pad however. Adding that to the recent Doom 1 and 2 ports was so essential (I know this is a different studio), though the PS3 Doom Classic Complete still has the best implementation. It does hold this version back from playing as good as it could, especially on the harder difficulties. If this receives an update, I hope this is added, even if it is just option to manually bind the weapons.
Yeah, quicker weapon switching would be my number one request too. The current method is unfortunately just as clunky here as it was on the N64 original. An autosave at the beginning of every level (separate to the quicksave you described) would be nice too, but that might be asking too much.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
So the Bethesda launcher version does have achievements (they pop up when you get them), but there doesn't seem to be a way to view what you've achieved altogether.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this has been asked already but can I jump into this one as my first Doom game?
You can, yes. Though I think this is best played after having some experience with the original two Doom games. This throws a little more at you early on in the game, and also tries to surprise and trick the player a little more. It builds off what was established and expected from the first two games. That doesn't mean it isn't enjoyable as an entry point however, but if you have the option of playing the prior games before it, I'd recommend it. They're all excellent.
Yeah, quicker weapon switching would be my number one request too. The current method is unfortunately just as clunky here as it was on the N64 original. An autosave at the beginning of every level (separate to the quicksave you described) would be nice too, but that might be asking too much.
I would also like it if the when holding down the run button, it increased your turning speed. Though some players might not like that, I find it really useful for games without freelook. Really though, it is very nice to have a solid port, and Nightdive have continued their outstanding work. Just a few nitpicks and hopefuls.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
NightDive community manager streams DOOM64:

Wait I don't get it...You will or won't receive a code for Doom 64 if you preorder the Switch version?

Was this not clear?
I heard this is as pre-order bonus, can I not get this by itself?
DOOM 64 is a pre-order bonus that comes free with any pre-order of DOOM Eternal across all systems. You can also just purchase DOOM64 by itself for all platforms on March 20, 2020.

I think you misunderstood me. I grew up with the PS1 version of Doom and they both share the same sound effects and soundtrack, hence why it's nostalgic for me.
Same composer, different soundtrack. It's the same ambient/atmospheric style but it's a different soundtrack so this is the N64 OST and nothing else :)

this is what you're after:

not this:

Last edited:

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
I preordered the Eternal CE from Bethesda, Doom64 is not in my library/unlocked nor have I gotten a code in the box or email. What gives?

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I think I enjoy this more than back when I had it on the N64.

reason, is back in 97 when this released we already played quake1, duke3d and dark forces. and jedi knight was on the horizon.

so going back to doom felt... old. been there done what, it wasn't bad but it didn't really get me excited.

now, from all these 90s fps single player campaigns, the ones I replayed the most in the past 20 years were easily doom 1 and 2.
they still hold up, the enemy design and gunplay was so much better than in the other games.

so going back to doom64 feels very different than when I originally played it. I like it more, I appreciate the differences in tone to the original doom while still keeping the engaging gunplay and enemy gameplay design.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I don't see Doom 64 on psn for individual purchases..
It's not up on the NA stores but the EU stores (UK is what I've checked, linked in OP) are up on PSN.

I think I enjoy this more than back when I had it on the N64.

reason, is back in 97 when this released we already played quake1, duke3d and dark forces. and jedi knight was on the horizon.

so going back to doom felt... old. been there done what, it wasn't bad but it didn't really get me excited.

now, from all these 90s fps single player campaigns, the ones I replayed the most in the past 20 years were easily doom 1 and 2.
they still hold up, the enemy design and gunplay was so much better than in the other games.

so going back to doom64 feels very different than when I originally played it. I like it more, I appreciate the differences in tone to the original doom while still keeping the engaging gunplay and enemy gameplay design.
And that's also why DOOM64 didn't make many waves back then. It was "old" and Quake/Goldeneye were the hot new thing.

We always have to re-evaluate old games removed from their context so we can actually appreciate them for what they were doing instead of putting them down over what they weren't.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
What's not clear is that because the Nintendo Switch of Doom Eternal got delayed, does than mean the pre-order bonus still stands after March 20th (for that platform)?
Did you not read the FAQ in the OP? :)

It's right below that.

What about Switch?
The Nintendo Switch pre-order freebie version of DOOM64 will only be distributed when the Switch port of DOOM Eternal releases later this year (note how you can't even preorder DOOM Eternal for Switch yet). If you want to play it on release day on Nintendo Switch, you can buy it standalone like on the other platforms.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
It's not up on the NA stores but the EU stores (UK is what I've checked, linked in OP) are up on PSN.

And that's also why DOOM64 didn't make many waves back then. It was "old" and Quake/Goldeneye were the hot new thing.

We always have to re-evaluate old games removed from their context so we can actually appreciate them for what they were doing instead of putting them down over what they weren't.
oh yeah I forgot about goldeneye which released shortly after. what a great year for fps actually. although, at least to me, goldeneye was a huge surprise I don't think anyone expected a movie action game to be good at that time, and certainly not to be a timeless classic.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Having never played it before I really like it. I'm about half-way now and even though I have Doom Eternal ready to go on PC I find myself wanting to play this more. My main gripe with the game is the over-reliance on switches in almost every level. Sometimes it's a bit unclear as to what a switch does or what triggers certain things, but the levels themselves aren't overly large so it's manageable.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing that intro all cleaned up was a little heartwarming. They did a great job with this remaster so far!

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Having never played it before I really like it. I'm about half-way now and even though I have Doom Eternal ready to go on PC I find myself wanting to play this more. My main gripe with the game is the over-reliance on switches in almost every level. Sometimes it's a bit unclear as to what a switch does or what triggers certain things, but the levels themselves aren't overly large so it's manageable.

yeah I got stuck forever on one level trying to find where to go next. Really slows down the action when you can't proceed

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Did you not read the FAQ in the OP? :)

It's right below that.
Hmm, somehow I missed that, since most of the talk was for all the other platforms. In any case, I guess it's safe to preorder a physical copy on Amazon and get a code for Doom 64 once Eternal (for Switch) is released.

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha
Goodness gracious this is a dope OT.

Preordered Eternal on PC, but I'll be playing DOOM 64 on Switch when I've done all my chores for the day. Funny how I wasn't even intending on getting Doom or AC at launch...

Tarkus

Oct 25, 2017
US
I've had some weird stalling in terraformer when level changes and in M3 on Xbox one x. Otherwise, the game is phenomenal.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
For everyone playing this for the first time, I really recommend taking it slow, exploring, and trying to find all the secrets. This game isn't like the previous entries, there are more rewarding benefits.
64's super shotgun sucks, not a fan of the sound or lack of reload animation ;(
Doom 64 is definitely made with compromises for a small cart space, but that Super Shotgun is still real meaty. Especially with some damn nice sprite work. I find it incredibly satisfying to use on some enemies.
What's the consensus on the port so far? With the price at €4.99, this'll probably be the first game on PC that I purchase brand new in a long time.
Very solid port, easily worth the price.