• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

russbus64

May 1, 2018
Planning to technically double-dip. Preordered Doom Eternal on Xbox One, but I want to primarily play this on Switch. Can't wait!

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Best OT ever. Like, really, what a great OP

I loved this game on the N64, it was too hard for me back then, but I played it anyway. I'm so excited for this

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I find the control, at least of the Switch version of doom 2 very, very floaty and unwieldy. With that said, I never played Doom 64 and it did have a reputation in Spain so...can't wait!

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to playing this again. Been a few years since I last played. Such an awesome game.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Never played Doom 64. Looking forward to play this one!

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
did anybody that preordered before October get Doom64 ? I grabbed the CE as soon as preorders went live and it came in today but I don't have a code for it.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Literally the best thread on this website.
source.gif

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
DOOM 64 was the only N64 game I had that came in a black plastic tray thing instead of the usual white carboard inside the box. More "hell" I guess.
Can't wait to replay this for the first time in many many years, it was a childhood favourite right alongside DOOM 1 and 2.
odd, my copy (bought on ebay like a year and a half ago lol) came with the usual white cardboard insert (US copy). did you buy yours when it came out at a store?

How do i enable mouselook in the PC version?
see FAQ section in the OP ...
DOOM64 EX had mouselook/freelook, will this also have freelook?
No, to prevent sequence breaks and bugs, freelook was not implemented in this version. Some level architecture/secrets was built around static view heights.

did anybody that preordered before October get Doom64 ? I grabbed the CE as soon as preorders went live and it came in today but I don't have a code for it.

That's right, pre-order DOOM Eternal for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 or PC before March 20, 2020 and receive DOOM 64 as a free digital download when DOOM Eternal launches! DOOM 64 will also be included free with preorders of DOOM Eternal for Nintendo Switch, which will be released at a later date.

This offer is applicable to all past, present and future pre-orders of DOOM Eternal, so there's no need to pre-order the game again if you've already done so. We can't wait to bring this action-packed chapter in the DOOM franchise to a whole new generation of Slayers!

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
odd, my copy (bought on ebay like a year and a half ago lol) came with the usual white cardboard insert (US copy). did you buy yours when it came out at a store?
I did. They had it on display there and you couldn't see shit, it was near pitch black, and the clerk insisted this was the only way the game would look ever. Take it home and on regular brightness it looks normal, as expected. Sure the game is dark, but it's not that dark.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't seem as good as DOOM 64 EX despite being two engines evolved. It looks off and it moves off. I was getting crushed despite standing in the blinking yellow spots in M2 and the red arrows had a weird texture to them. The room with the spinning yellow light in M1 looked too bright despite turning environment brightness down all the way. Does this use the original ROM like EX did or is it reverse engineered?

That said, if you've never played it before this won't concern you.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think this is seriously good on PS4. Played until level 5. Sounds great, looks crisp for an N64 ish remaster, and plays well. Weapons and shots feel good. Level design is good, rooms completely change up at times. Nice gimmick. Real Doom 3.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
If you picked up Doom Eternal at GameStop today, the Doom 64 code should have printed on the receipt. However, with the change in release date, the system backend has not been assigning codes properly.

GameStop employees now have backup SKUs they can use to print out a Doom64 voucher if you did not receive your code. They may be able to read you the code over the phone if store traffic is minimal but obviously not guaranteed.

Psyborg

Aug 6, 2018
One thing that concerns me is that the eShop labels 3/20 as an "estimated release date". Is this normal?

(Amazing OP btw)

NightDive port trivia #1

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Does this use the original ROM like EX did or is it reverse engineered?
These are two unrelated questions. Reverse engineering is a specific process in programming where you reconstruct behaviour of another code using a number of methods. Using the original ROM is for assets, and yes, that's where we got the resources from, there was nowhere else.

Doesn't seem as good as DOOM 64 EX despite being two engines evolved. It looks off and it moves off. I was getting crushed despite standing in the blinking yellow spots in M2 and the red arrows had a weird texture to them.
The original behaviour is unchanged, and in fact is the most accurate port yet. We managed to achieve attract demo compatibility, which were just recordings of player inputs. This means that the gameplay behavior is 100% exact from the N64 code. The maps are also unaltered and come direct from the ROM (they have to be because again, demo compatibility).
The rendering engine obeys the original behaviour for BSP clipping and zfar distance, and we even have a reconstruction of the N64s 3 point filtering.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I still have to get through my first-time runs of all the Doom add-ons (Sigil, etc.) and my replay of Doom II, but I am pumped for this. Haven't played Doom 64 since it was a pre-teen rental, but I get the feeling that its aesthetic, tone and music will jell with me the most. I also fucking love Doom lore, it's so neat that it all fits together subtly without bending over backwards to do so. Makes my brain feel good.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I never got to play this. How is it compared to Doom 2?
Similar in gameplay, but slower paced and with a more dark and moody aesthetic, with low lighting and an industrial soundtrack instead of heavy metal. It's a different take, though all the hallmarks are there.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never got to play this. How is it compared to Doom 2?

I only played this on N64 way back, and now on PS4. I haven't beaten it yet but it feels like a mix between Doom 2 and Quake 1. With better graphics like Quake had.

Having said that, its closer to Doom 2 than to all its sequels. A classic Doom experience with mazes, keys and surprise encounters.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
These are two unrelated questions. Reverse engineering is a specific process in programming where you reconstruct behaviour of another code using a number of methods. Using the original ROM is for assets, and yes, that's where we got the resources from, there was nowhere else.

The original behaviour is unchanged, and in fact is the most accurate port yet. We managed to achieve attract demo compatibility, which were just recordings of player inputs. This means that the gameplay behavior is 100% exact from the N64 code. The maps are also unaltered and come direct from the ROM (they have to be because again, demo compatibility).
The rendering engine obeys the original behaviour for BSP clipping and zfar distance, and we even have a reconstruction of the N64s 3 point filtering.
Wow, I thank you for this comprehensive response.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
How do I access this on the PS4? I'm playing the Deluxe Edition of Eternal, but I don't have DOOM 64 in my download list and it doesn't seem to be on the store either. I thought maybe I'd have to start it from the Eternal menu, but it isn't there either.