• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
doom64otmagstekjyr.png

firebart9kj7.gif
1551277659545cokw8.gif
Port Developer:
NightDive Studios
Original Developer: Midway Home Entertainment & idSoftware
Publisher: Bethesda Game Studios
Release: March 20, 2020
Original release: 1997 on Nintendo 64
Platforms: Nintendo Switchty-Four | PlayStation 64 | Xbox 64 +One | Steam_x64.exe
Price: $4.99 | €4.99 | £3.99 (or free as a pre-order bonus with DOOM Eternal)
Genre: DOOM Clone
Multiplayer: No
Download Size: ~98MB
Game Download: Nintendo Switch (the store pages haven't been updated yet, you can buy it on the actual console eShop though): EU | US | CA || PS4: US | EU || Xbox One || Steam
DOOM Eternal OT: Here

screenshot_2020-03-19wzkle.png

cooltext3523184330181ifk8h.gif

DOOOM64 is an original entry in the DOOM series following up the events of DOOM II and directly tying into the opening of DOOM 2016 with further lore connections to DOOM ETERNAL being revealed in a brand new bonus chapter added exclusively for this re-release. Consider it DOOM 2.5, sometimes also referred to as "the real DOOM 3."

d64backinkrv.jpg

image01177kba.gif

Also, watch this:
image0016wjs0.gif
image0016wjs0.gif

image0016wjs0.gif
image0016wjs0.gif

d64gamesbk6m.jpg
d64storywbjt0.jpg

logo_nintendo5ykev.gif
cooltext35231836195866rkd1.gif
logo_nintendo5ykev.gif

Is this just another port of DOOM? Why is this such a big deal?
No, DOOM64 is an entirely original DOOM game set after DOOM II. It features original maps, building on the mechanics introduced in DOOM II and also uses redesigned monsters scanned from high-res renders and turned into sprites.

So this is just a port of DOOM64 EX then?
No, this is a newly developed port using NightDive's KEX Engine that is more faithful to the original. However, the developer of DOOM64 EX worked on this KEX Engine version.

The new maps they mentioned, it's just the Absolution maps?
No, these are also brand new and intended to bridge the lore between DOOM64 and the current idSoftware titles even further.

DOOM64 EX had mouselook/freelook, will this also have freelook?
No, to prevent sequence breaks and bugs, freelook was not implemented in this version. Some level architecture/secrets was built around static view heights.

Does it have Quick Save?
Yes, you have to go into the button/key mapping options and map the Quick Save feature to a button.

What are the options like? Any graphic toggles?
You can toggle certain effects like texture filtering, there are different brightness settings (overall and environment brightness are separate), FOV slider, AA options, a toggle for texture filtering, a run toggle, red/green blood toggle. On consoles too, not just PC.

Any console specific features?
The automap can be navigated with the touch-screen/touch-pad on Switch/PS4 and on Xbox One you can play with keyboard & mouse. Switch and PS4 also support gyro-aim assist (motion controls) with various personalization settings (roll/yaw/reverse; left joy-con/right-joycon).
doomguyukjqq.gif

etiwykhvaaizvxa13kpu.jpg

New features in general?
Supports resolutions up to 4k, framerates are unlocked (console-specific details TBD).
From the USG interview: "users will be able to use the 'RunHecticDemo' password [a code used to watch a successful playthrough of Doom 64's hidden level Hectic] "

Wild question: The N64 version had passwords. This also has a password menu. Do N64 passwords work in the re-release?
Yes! And vice-versa! You could pick-up your Xbox One save on your N64 copy, if you're so inclined. You can also pick-up an old N64 save on PC, etc. "Lost Episode" levels are obviously excluded since they don't exist on N64.

I heard this is as pre-order bonus, can I not get this by itself?
DOOM 64 is a pre-order bonus that comes free with any pre-order of DOOM Eternal across all systems. You can also just purchase DOOM64 by itself for all platforms on March 20, 2020.

What about Switch?
The Nintendo Switch pre-order freebie version of DOOM64 will only be distributed when the Switch port of DOOM Eternal releases later this year (note how you can't even preorder DOOM Eternal for Switch yet). If you want to play it on release day on Nintendo Switch, you can buy it standalone like on the other platforms.

Will DOOM64 get a release on GOG?
No, not as of right now. Unless Bethesda decides differently down the road.

d64switchknj2e.jpg

cooltext3523183824760drjgf.gif

dollarspindowndf4jc1.gif
dollarspindowndf4jc1.gif

doomcyberdemonshootfrmjk6m.gif
doomcyberdemonshootfrmjk6m.gif

doom-64-switch-screendojgq.jpg
doom-64-switch-screenz7ko3.jpg
doom-64-switch-screenhokzm.jpg

doom-64-switch-screenvujj8.jpg
doom-64-switch-screene7j96.jpg

cooltext35231849402982gkvi.gif

devilfireq7kdt.gif
devilfireq7kdt.gif

d64ogcredxdkhs.jpg

bigfirequj7y.gif

cooltext3523969918125upjo8.gif

unnamedrijzg.gif

2228ek5r.gif

flaminglineolj66.gif

tumblr_onnv2yaqh41s3u0rjot.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
please enjoy the retro late 90s web design flair with your 56k modems. If you upgraded recently from your 14.4k sets, that is.

Feb 27, 2019
Anyone know where/when this will show up if you've got the Bethesda launcher version? (Green Man had a sale so that's the one I ended up with)

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing OT!

I was going to buy this on Switch to complete my Classic Doom collection (and I probably will later) but it's a sweet bonus for my PS4 Eternal. Can't wait to dive into both!

Oct 28, 2017
Jesus Christ this OT made me feel old. Brought me right back to being a teenager browsing shitty fan sites on a 28.80 modem. And playing Doom 64.

Reviews

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
some reviews are out.
www.metacritic.com

DOOM 64

DOOM 64 for PlayStation 4 game reviews & Metacritic score: You killed the Demons once, they were all dead. Or so you thought... A single Demon Entity escaped detection. Systematically it altered decaying, dead carnage b...

DOOM 64

You killed the Demons once, they were all dead. Or so you thought... A single Demon Entity escaped detection. Systematically it altered decaying, dead carnage back into grotesque living tissue. The Demons have returned - stronger and more vicious than ever before. You mission is clear, there are...
www.metacritic.com

DOOM 64

DOOM 64 for Switch game reviews & Metacritic score: You killed the Demons once, they were all dead. Or so you thought... A single Demon Entity escaped detection. Systematically it altered decaying, dead carnage b...

DOOM 64

You killed the Demons once, they were all dead. Or so you thought... A single Demon Entity escaped detection. Systematically it altered decaying, dead carnage back into grotesque living tissue. The Demons have returned - stronger and more vicious than ever before. You mission is clear, there are...

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Amazing OT! Never played Doom 64 as I...well never had a N64 but my first foray into Doom was the PS1 version that I loved.

That said i thought I heard the OST from the PS1 version is featured in Doom 64, is that true?!

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Was like, I'll play a bit before bed. Couple of hours later I'm still playing lol, woops!

I f**king still love Doom 64. Now it's even better! So happy to have a new version on Switch.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Fn4bwGA.gif

Sadly I probably won't be able to get eternal for a while to pick up Doom 64 yet.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Glad that all gaming hardware today finally runs on 64 bits so that this could be ported.

/s

May 24, 2019
I'm playing it now and it feels really strange to be able to turn off the texture filtering. Those fuzzy sprite just were Doom 64 till now, ya know?

Mine came with my Xbox version of Doom Eternal and I've already decided to double dip on Switch.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Oh God, at least give a 56K warning, took me half an hour to even open this thread and now my internet bill is already over $200.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
DOOM 64 was the only N64 game I had that came in a black plastic tray thing instead of the usual white carboard inside the box. More "hell" I guess.
Can't wait to replay this for the first time in many many years, it was a childhood favourite right alongside DOOM 1 and 2.