• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
James Haley, senior developer: On our end, persistent players will have the opportunity to unlock a new chapter in the Doomguy's saga, taking place shortly after [Doom 64's] original campaign concludes. The Mother Demon you defeated in that outing had a sister, and since you've been messing up Hell non-stop, she tries to get rid of you by sending you away. If you can make your way back and take revenge, you'll be rewarded with a bit of lore that fans of both series, new and classic, should enjoy.

They are really killing me not dropping this before Eternal. Looks like I'm going to be spending launch week playing this instead.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure I'm going to be playing this to completion before I even touch Eternal. Another dream come true.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Hot damn!

Before DOOM Eternal comes to Switch I guess I'll have time to play DOOM 1, 2, 64, and 3. :D

I only just finished DOOM 2016 a few weeks ago.

CGriffiths86

Oct 28, 2017
I'll definitely bite on Doom 64 on Steam. I already all of the others and it's the one I haven't played.

xmonkeyofevil

Jun 9, 2019
Some little things here and there, such as an Autorun toggle, and the automap can be navigated with the [Switch] touchscreen or [PS4] touchpad. Otherwise, the keyboard and mouse controls will feel very familiar to classic Doom players on PC, and also on Xbox if you hook up a keyboard and mouse.

:O

Keyboard/Mouse for the Xbox One version? If only Doom Eternal had the same.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
It also has by far the coolest weapon in Doom history in the Unmaker, which is
returning in Doom Eternal.

So excited that more people will be able to play this amazing game, and awesome that the devs are expanding on it.

sadly not the same
weapon
it seems

either way this is so freaking COOL!

Bring on levels with multiple Cyberdemons please!

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
Lets hope this will be available separately and not locked as a preorder bonus forever...

mantidor

Oct 25, 2017
whoa! still pissed that this was delayed on switch for no reason but whoa!

wait wat

I mean Doom 64 was exclusive, didn't Nintendo have publishing rights or something? I'm surprised is not exclusive to begin with, given how controlling Nintendo was with games on their consoles under Yamauchi.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
wait wat

I mean Doom 64 was exclusive, didn't Nintendo have publishing rights or something? I'm surprised is not exclusive to begin with, given how controlling Nintendo was with games on their consoles under Yamauchi.
no, i don't think nintendo had any involvement
it's just that it was supposed to be released in november for switch, but after eternal got delayed i guess they delayed 64 too as a consolation to give away as a pre-order bonus, but then the switch version of eternal was delayed even further so that made it make even less sense why 64 couldn't have been released in november like it was planned to.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
whoa! still pissed that this was delayed on switch for no reason but whoa!
wait wat

no, i don't think nintendo had any involvement
it's just that it was supposed to be released in november for switch, but after eternal got delayed i guess they delayed 64 too as a consolation to give away as a pre-order bonus, but then the switch version of eternal was delayed even further so that made it make even less sense why 64 couldn't have been released in november like it was planned to.

guys guys guys no.

DOOM 64 releases on Switch on March 20 for five bucks, like all other platforms.

The only scenario where it is "delayed" is if you want it as a free pre-order bonus for DOOM Eternal on Switch. That only gets distributed when DOOM Eternal releases on Switch.

It's in id's official FAQ.

Nintendo also never had any publishing or any involvement in DOOM 64.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Is Doom64 free if you preorder Doom Eternal or something?
Cause I'll be here day 1 for Doom64 but if it's somehow tied in some way I don't mind spending a little more as part of the package.
e: like I understand nothing but that Doom64 is gonna be 5 bucks soon

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Cause I'll be here day 1 for Doom64 but if it's somehow tied in some way I don't mind spending a little more as part of the package.
Yup. When I pre-purchased Doom Eternal on Steam, Doom 64 showed up in my games list as well.

So it works like that.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
I was hoping they would have worked out a deal with modders to include the Absolution levels from the PC fan port but this sounds cool
Those levels belong to Samuel Villarreal anyway so no such deal needed to be made. He just didn't want to include them.
They are also in a completely different map format so a whole conversion process would have to have been done.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
as you can read at the bottom of the article and in the announcement they made months ago, yes, Doom 64 is a free preorder bonus for Doom Eternal on all platforms but you can also buy it separately for five bucks on all platforms.

it was originally announced in a direct for november of 2019, so there definitely was a delay. it's not a huge deal tho as it's coming out soon (at a great price too).
yes obviously, that was the "everything doom moves to march 20" delay that everything got.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
$5 is stupid cheap. I've been on a DOOM 1+2 binge in 2020, and the thought of playing a game with entirely different assets and improved graphics has me hyped as hell. Now that this game will be available for PC officially, is there any reason why modders couldn't or shouldn't start using D64 as their base, given the engine upgrades from DOOM Classic?

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Yup. When I pre-purchased Doom Eternal on Steam, Doom 64 showed up in my games list as well.

So it works like that.
That's kind of insane to think about for a second but I don't mind insane.
On top of that the Switch version has motion aiming?
if that's the case I may even try the new Doom to go along with my Doom64!

as you can read at the bottom of the article and in the announcement they made months ago, yes, Doom 64 is a free preorder bonus for Doom Eternal on all platforms but you can also buy it separately for five bucks on all platforms.
This is the world we live in and I don't mind.
I guess it would be too much to ask for Doom64 to be included in the cart for Doom Eternal but that will do.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
That's kind of insane to think about for a second but I don't mind insane.
On top of that the Switch version has motion aiming?
if that's the case I may even try the new Doom to go along with my Doom64!

This is the world we live in and I don't mind.
I guess it would be too much to ask for Doom64 to be included in the cart for Doom Eternal but that will do.
Doom 64
Doom 2016
Doom Eternal
all have gyro aim on Switch

They're not gonna put Doom64 on the card, the whole game won't fit on there already anyway.

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
$5 is stupid cheap. I've been on a DOOM 1+2 binge in 2020, and the thought of playing a game with entirely different assets and improved graphics has me hyped as hell. Now that this game will be available for PC officially, is there any reason why modders couldn't or shouldn't start using D64 as their base, given the engine upgrades from DOOM Classic?
The engine is still basically using the same 2D map format with some weird and cumbersome extensions not really suitable for homebrew mapmaking. For example, the room over room implementation is extremely hacky (basically instantly moving elevators when crossing certain lines) and does not work for multiplayer at all.

The art style, while it works nicely for this particular game in a time-capsule sort of way, has not aged particularly well (prerendered with 90s 3D rendering software), while the more comic-like Doom I+II pixel art is more timeless IMHO.

Edit: Oh, and it's missing many monsters (Arch-Vile, Spider Mastermind, Chaingunner, Revenant). Doom 64 really is its own (weird and cool) thing. It's certainly not a complete replacement for the original Doom I+II.

Last edited:

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Doom 64
Doom 2016
Doom Eternal
all have gyro aim on Switch

They're not gonna put Doom64 on the card, the whole game won't fit on there already anyway.
And I guess I can try to get myself a nice double pack for the new Doom....
Yeah I wasn't expecting Doom64 to be physical but that would have been sweet.
This is gonna be a rip&tear crossing month until I lose myself in Trials of mana again next month.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
It does? What's that?

Also, thank you, Nightdive. I never thought we'd see a Doom 64 port, much less new content.

As much as PC players like to shun the 64 title for being different, it had good enough lore and connective tissue to be one of the main plot points for DOOM 2016. I welcome this change and hope it explains even more than before. 64 is my second favorite Doom game.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
The engine is still basically using the same 2D map format with some weird and cumbersome extensions not really suitable for homebrew mapmaking. For example, the room over room implementation is extremely hacky (basically instantly moving elevators when crossing certain lines) and does not work for multiplayer at all.

The art style, while it works nicely for this particular game in a time-capsule sort of way, has not aged particularly well (prerendered with 90s 3D rendering software), while the more comic-like Doom I+II pixel art is more timeless IMHO.

Interesting, thanks! That whole "no room above another room" quirk is what makes DOOM level design so unique and fascinating. I understand on a superficial level that it's really just a 2D game, yet so many stages (especially DOOM II and the crazier Master/Ultimate levels) have a great sense of verticality and complexity.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
It does? What's that?

Also, thank you, Nightdive. I never thought we'd see a Doom 64 port, much less new content.
kotaku.com

The Wild Theory That Connects All The Doom Games

On the surface, Doom seems like a clean break from the previous games, merely borrowing the same premise: you’re on the surface of Mars and fighting demons from Hell. But there’s evidence suggesting it’s more, and that id Software found a way to connect the series together. Maybe.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
There's kind of a Doom Eternal spoiler at the end of that article so if you're going in blind don't read too far down. :/

On topic: Looking forward to the new levels. Nightdive does great work. I hope this bridges the gap between 64 and 2016. That would be so fucking cool.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I still find it funny that Doom 64's reception was rather negative back in the day because it used sprites, but nowadays the graphics hold up way better than most early 3D games from that era.

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
Interesting, thanks! That whole "no room above another room" quirk is what makes DOOM level design so unique and fascinating. I understand on a superficial level that it's really just a 2D game, yet so many stages (especially DOOM II and the crazier Master/Ultimate levels) have a great sense of verticality and complexity.
Yes, it's crazy what good map-designers can do with those limitations.

GZDoom can do some of the things that Doom 64 added (most importantly colored lighting and macro scripting). It has become the de-facto standard for Doom extensions. We'll see if Doom 64 modding takes off if Nightdive releases the modtools like for Turok and Strife.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017

As much as PC players like to shun the 64 title for being different, it had good enough lore and connective tissue to be one of the main plot points for DOOM 2016. I welcome this change and hope it explains even more than before. 64 is my second favorite Doom game.

64 might just be my favorite. It's hard to choose.

kotaku.com

The Wild Theory That Connects All The Doom Games

On the surface, Doom seems like a clean break from the previous games, merely borrowing the same premise: you’re on the surface of Mars and fighting demons from Hell. But there’s evidence suggesting it’s more, and that id Software found a way to connect the series together. Maybe.

Cool, thanks!

I still find it funny that Doom 64's reception was rather negative back in the day because it used sprites, but nowadays the graphics hold up way better than most early 3D games from that era.

Yeah, especially performance-wise. Doom 64 is perhaps the smoothest N64 game. It runs so perfectly. And I personally adore the updated monster sprites.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019

I like Bethesdas/IDs thinking with these ports make them dirt cheap and discount them heavily so they sell often pretty much creating hopefully a 75%+ attach rate

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
F-ZeroX ran pretty much at a smooth 60 fps... but yeah. Smooth running n64 games are quite rare.

Digital Foundry should let us know, once and for all, what the smoothest N64 game is. I'd be shocked if it weren't one of these two, but there are a handful more out there that run nicely. IIRC Wipeout 64 was nice and smooth, too.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
Why wouldn't it. Night Dive's Turok 1+2 ports do. DOOM 3 does. (DOOM 1+2 do too now)

my concern stems from the Switch's track record in general, no offense to Night Dive.

there are games on the Switch you would expect to run well but do not. I would expect Doom 64 to run well but I don't take that sort of thing for granted any longer.

your response is quite encouraging though.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
While I think it's great Doom 64 gets to be on other platforms than the N64, personally I was never a big fan of the game.
It just feels very stiff compared to the original Doom. Weapons don't feel good either and lack impact and the art is also pretty bad compared to the original imo.
But again, I'm glad the game gets to be on more platforms as I know there are people who really like it.
And more levels is a nice bonus.