• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
The lighting looks way off. Honestly, just looking at the screenshots, it looks like a totally different game, nothing like the style and atmosphere of the original.

The Turok 1 and 2 remasters have similar lighting differences compared to the N64 versions as well unfortunately (as far as I know, but it looks blatant to me). Far too bright and some parts are seriously blown out.

It's a bit of a shame but I'm still more than happy to take these in any condition.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
They wont change the name for other consoles, Doom 64 over the years actually has traction as a 'no seriously, it's actually really good and like an actual new game' when many people still just assumed it was some regular version of Doom 1 on the N64 or something. So I think the name Doom 64, and the fact that it became a forgotten/underground favourite makes it actually a big deal release.

Could be timed exclusive though I guess, embracing those Nintendo roots. :D Probably not though, they're just waiting a bit to announce it all but give Nintendo the spotlight at the moment most likely.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess it's a timed exclusive but it's weird that it wasn't mentioned as a "first to Switch" title.

Chances are Nintendo are involved with the license of the game, so in order to get a re-release of the game on all platforms, some small deal was set. Either that they can't talk about other versions for now, or simply the fact it was a Direct announcement, or indeed there's some timed exclusivity involved. Otherwise it would be in their best interest to raise interest for the product for 3 platforms as opposed to 1.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
They wont change the name for other consoles, Doom 64 over the years actually has traction as a 'no seriously, it's actually really good and like an actual new game' when many people still just assumed it was some regular version of Doom 1 on the N64 or something. So I think the name Doom 64, and the fact that it became a forgotten/underground favourite makes it actually a big deal release.

Could be timed exclusive though I guess, embracing those Nintendo roots. :D Probably not though, they're just waiting a bit to announce it all but give Nintendo the spotlight at the moment most likely.
So the game is considered good?

I played Duke Nukem 64 and even Hexen 64 back in the days but I think I never played this one.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it coming alongside doom eternal which is coming to all 4 platforms makes me think it won't be switch-only at launch. they're probably waiting a bit before they announce other versions.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
The Turok 1 and 2 remasters have similar lighting differences compared to the N64 versions as well unfortunately (as far as I know, but it looks blatant to me). Far too bright and some parts are seriously blown out.

It's a bit of a shame but I'm still more than happy to take these in any condition.

You can change the brightness settings in T2. Also that game has an option to toggle additive lightmaps and I found turning it off got rid of the overexposed highlights and made it look more like the original game.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
It's from the old time when Nintendo handled the manufacturing of ALL carts so if they're the one who provided SquareEnix with the documentation to get the Collection of Mana running it's means that they probably have similar archives for everything they manufactured.
So they probably have something more usable than just ROMs.
For the SNES Mini, they downloaded the ROMs from the internet, there was a note from a rom hacker found on the device

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I hope this means the soundtrack can get a proper digital release

someone posted it while I was reading but how much more proper than fully remastered by the original composer with additional tracks available DRM free and lossless on bandcamp can it get? :D

I was curious about this game until Jeff said this (from their "talk over an event stream")

please completely ignore Jeff and his BS lol

Wikipedia states that Doom 64 is a sequel to Doom II:

Engadget also reports that Doom 64 is a sequel to Doom II:

Which it is. Because it's Doom "3" :)

Please tell me this coming to PC <3
Doom 64 EX is already on PC, technically :)

Carlos, I've been trying to tell you in the Turok OT - fix your settings :D

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doom 64 is an amazing doom game - in many ways better than Doom II which I cherish. So good.

Cannot wait for that PC release!
watching the digital foundry video(s) that touched on Doom 64 has had me anticipate tf out of this announcement. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this one tries to go for a more horror/atmospheric approach!

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking forward to checking this out in the modern age as I didn't care for it much back at launch.

I picked it up back in '97 and I recall being underwhelmed by the low enemy count overall as well as the 'N64 Vaseline filter' vs. the crisp sprites on other platforms. Never did finish it, instead going back to OG Doom 1 & 2.

But a Doom 64 revisit could prove enlightening. Perhaps I can be more forgiving of its shortcomings since so much time has past and my expectations are far different today than when they were back in the day.

Excited to find out for myself either way.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Seriously, if you're into Doom at all and haven't played Doom 64...it's fucking great.

The old school devious-as-fuck maze level design is in full effect, the music is eerie as hell and genuinely creepy quite often, the designs and crazy colors are cool.

I've been playing Brutal Doom 64 a lot since that hit so it's not just nostalgia talking. Curious to see how this port fares, if the brightness can be turned down etc. as the original was super dark and rather difficult which made it feel pretty claustrophobic and threatening.

Edit: Never forget this track and one of the GOAT Doom levels "Dark Citadel"

Last edited:

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
I wonder why Final Doom is always ignored? The PS1 version had all its levels altered because of hardware issues. I'd love to see a PC perfect console port.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
For the SNES Mini, they downloaded the ROMs from the internet, there was a note from a rom hacker found on the device
ehhh, no
Wasn't that debunked ages ago?
Afair that "rom hacker" was one of nintendos programmers or something like that.

Yep

Bumping because i decided to do some research of my own (I'm working on a video series about the history of the three console manufacturers attempts at backwards compatibility/emulation re-releases over the years.)

First off, calling Tomohiro Kawase the "Animal Crossing emulator" developer is a bit of an understatement. He (Alongside Hideaki Shimizu.) actually handled a lot of emulation projects for Nintendo. His first role at the company was making the "GB Tower" mode in Pokemon Stadium, which was effectively a Game Boy emulator that could run the 1st gen (2nd gen in Stadium 2/GS) mainline Pokemon games by inserting their carts into the transfer pak.
172429-pokemon-stadium-nintendo-64-screenshot-pokemon-stadium-also.jpg

In fact, almost all of his work at Nintendo revolves around emulation.
Pretty much everything he's credited for involves it in some form, he's listed for "Connectivity Programming" in Metroid Prime (Which allowed you to play the NES Metroid on a Gamecube, unlocked by syncing a completed Metroid Fusion save file to the game using a link cable.) "engineering" on the Zelda Collector's Edition disc (Which was a compilation of NES and N64 games running on an emulator.) and even the "NES Emulator Programmer" on the E-reader.

(About 1:24 in if the timestamp doesn't work.)

So it's highly likely he was indeed hired for working on iNES.

As for the header situation, here's what i discovered.

The first thing i did was extract the Super Mario Bros ROM from Animal Crossing, a fairly easy task, as all the NES emulator content is conveniently stored in a single compressed file named "famicom.arc", which is then in turn stored as a bunch of ".szs" files. Using ARCtool and Uwizard in that order did the trick. Giving us a unnamed 41kb file.
Lh7NM6r.png

i8mGvBW.png

(before and after extraction, note that the ".nes" was added myself to make sure it could run on an emulator, as noted, the file was completely unnamed when i extracted it.)
After verifying said unnamed file was indeed Super Mario Bros by using an NES emulator. I then acquired the Virtual Console version of Super Mario Bros. Thankfully, there's a tool known "vcromclaim" that completely automates the process of extracting VC titles, so i used that.
43mnCjc.png

This worked, but there's one problem. The file size is incorrect! Super Mario Bros is a 41kb game, while my dump turned it into 320kb. Fortunately, fixing it was pretty easy, it turns out VCromclaim grabbed a bunch of text and data from the VC emulator and appended it to the end of the rom. After chopping that out, the file size was fixed to the correct size of 41kb.

and the result of doing a comparison after this?
93UOL34.png

Yep, the Virtual Console ROM does in fact originate from Animal Crossing. iNES header and all. In fact, all of the NES games in Animal Crossing have it, with the notable exception of Clu Clu Land D, which lacks a header entirely, starting with the "*NINTENDO-HVC*" text that is normally used by the FDS bios to verify that it's a legit disk image, the NES emulation community didn't start using standardized headers for FDS games until around November 1998 with the release of the fwnes emulator. About 3 months after the release of Pokemon Stadium, Tomohiro Kawase's first project at Nintendo.

I feel like the most logical conclusion here is this.
  1. Nintendo discovers iNES and, rather than sending a C&D, hunts down one of the devs and hires him to help implement a Game Boy emulator into Pokemon Stadium (Not to be confused with the US/EU release of the game, which is actually a sequel in Japan), released in 1998.
  2. Animal Crossing starts development on the Nintendo 64DD, at some point the decision was made to add playable NES games to it. So the team brought Tomohiro on board due to his experience with the hardware.
  3. With Tomohiro's help, the NES games are dumped internally for the game, most likely using the same tech the iNES team used, leading to the header issue. The fact that Clu Clu Land D lacks the standardized "FDS" header used by the emulation community at that point outright confirms they didn't "download the roms off the internet".
and that's basically everything you need to know about the subject.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
ehhh, no
Wasn't that debunked ages ago?
Afair that "rom hacker" was one of nintendos programmers or something like that.
Yes this was debunked. This never happened but the press didn't care and just stuck with the original eye-catcher headline that is now part of the collective gaming wisdom.

Matzpxl

Jun 4, 2019
BrasĂ­lia, Brazil
I remember the first time playing this I had to cover my windows with blankets all around the living room just to be able to see *something* in the game.

It was fun as hell though.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really looking forward to this but at the same time it'll be weird. I was in high school when this came out and a friend was killed in a car accident and my mom got me this and Blast Corps to take my mind off of it a little so those have always had some bad memories attached to them.

Oct 27, 2017
I hope this version lets you turn off texture filtering. If it is based off of the EX version, then it should. I think it looks far better without it.

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
I hope this means the soundtrack can get a proper digital release

I wonder why Final Doom is always ignored? The PS1 version had all its levels altered because of hardware issues. I'd love to see a PC perfect console port.

Last edited: