• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
I agree. Personally played it on an Athlon XP 2500+ Barton overclocked to 3200+, a 9700 pro and 1gb of ram and I could max the game @ 1024x768 with a fairly stable 60fps or raise it at 1600x1200 for a mostly stable 30fps experience. Didn't spend that much money either, but truthfully I bought many used parts because retail price were pretty damn expensive.

Anyway, while the whole "spend a shit ton of money while upgrading your drivers frequently" is a sentence that doesn't accurately reflect the reality of how it was back then, it is closer to the truth of how it was back then compared to how it is now. Nowadays, every single word of this sentence is absolutely false. Back then, in some region and depending on which hardware you bought, it could have been true. Here in canada, we were price gouged AF when it came to computer. $3000 standard computers were only starting to slowly disappear around that time.

So is the PS4 Pro version enhanced to 4K like the Xbox One X version?

Wait for the DF analysis.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Doom 3 was the only game I've ever gone to a midnight launch event for. I still really enjoy it. I love the new DOOM game, but feel it lost some of the horror of the original, which, along with enemy design/art, are the areas where 3 is superior (in my opinion).

I agree. Personally played it on an Athlon XP 2500+ Barton overclocked to 3200+, a 9700 pro and 1gb of ram and I could max the game @ 1024x768 with a fairly stable 60fps or raise it at 1600x1200 for a mostly stable 30fps experience. Didn't spend that much money either, but truthfully I bought many used parts because retail price were pretty damn expensive.

I had a Pentium 4 @2.6GHz (non-HT), 9700 Pro, and 1 GB of RAM. I think I played at 1024x768 as well? Though I played on high. I recall that the Ultra setting was recommended for GPUs with at least 512 MB of RAM (of which none existed at the time). I remember trying ultra out and it working, but the performance wasn't great at the res I wanted to play at.

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
Doom 3 was the only game I've ever gone to a midnight launch event for. I still really enjoy it. I love the new DOOM game, but feel it lost some of the horror of the original, which, along with enemy design/art, are the areas where 3 is superior (in my opinion).

I had a Pentium 4 @2.6GHz (non-HT), 9700 Pro, and 1 GB of RAM. I think I played at 1024x768 as well? Though I played on high. I recall that the Ultra setting was recommended for GPUs with at least 512 MB of RAM (of which none existed at the time). I remember trying ultra out and it working, but the performance wasn't great at the res I wanted to play at.

I owned a 9700 non-Pro and man was I angry that I would have to play @ medium settings to get a decent framerate.

Who the hell did id think they were?! The game was showcased with the graphics card I owned and the performance must have been better than that!

(Until id got angry that some worker @ AMD leaked the alpha online and made id switch to team green which ended up favouring the GeForce 4 XT cards)

I remember switching to an NVidia 6800 years later and marveling at the Gfx effects missing in the Radeon cards (like the heat/wave distorsions from the imp projectiles)

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I wonder how the Doom 3 port on original xbox ran. I picked it up for switch and x1. Switch performance was kinda iffy during my time (~1 hour docked) with it. Hopefully it steadies or plays better in handheld. Haven't booted the x1 version yet.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A few shots I grabbed last night:

48405801152_95ba3a07ed_o.png

48405799562_c8b54a9431_o.png

The visuals have aged tremendously well.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
I owned a 9700 non-Pro and man was I angry that I would have to play @ medium settings to get a decent framerate.

Who the hell did id think they were?! The game was showcased with the graphics card I owned and the performance must have been better than that!

(Until id got angry that some worker @ AMD leaked the alpha online and made id switch to team green which ended up favouring the GeForce 4 XT cards)

I remember switching to an NVidia 6800 years later and marveling at the Gfx effects missing in the Radeon cards (like the heat/wave distorsions from the imp projectiles)

This heat wave effect certainly wasn't missing with my 9700 pro. The Geforce 4 MX cards did miss it though, due to their limited pixel shaders support.

By the way, the game was demo'ed on a 9700 pro, not on a plain 9700. Significant performance gap between both.

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
This heat wave effect certainly wasn't missing with my 9700 pro. The Geforce 4 MX cards did miss it though, due to their limited pixel shaders support.

By the way, the game was demo'ed on a 9700 pro, not on a plain 9700. Significant performance gap between both.

Oh I see, thanks!

Seems like it was somewhat different to how I remembered it, nevertheless that was a very special time for Pc gaming and the Radeon 9700 was a pretty decent card nonetheless (and the 9800 Pro was the unachievable dream for me back then lol)

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man that does look good it could easily be current gen. It was a very forward looking game though with a ton of new tech.

To be fair, character models are definitely dated, and pretty much all textures are on the blurry side when you're up close to them, but the game still looks incredible and was definitely several years ahead of the curve, visually.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I still wish more games had done Doom 3's interactive in world GUIs. That fucking blew my mind when I first played it due to how sharp it looked.

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Doom 3 might have been well optimized game for its day but efficient one it is not, a bit like Crysis. For example the way lighting works is quite old fashioned and AFAIK was one of the reasons for limiting flashlight rather than gameplay design decision. Each light would add one render pass more and draw objects affected by lights so if you have complex object lit by four lights that would mean rendering it four times. Nowadays there are different ways of tackling this and also much more efficient forward methods.

But that is just the way tech evolves and Doom 3 was important step. It's also really cool that id released source code for both D3 and BFG edition so one can look into the (rather readable) code and see how it works. There are also excellent articles about id engine tech including Doom 3: http://fabiensanglard.net/

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
since we're all here hemming and hawing over Doom 3, I'm curious: what is ERA's pick for the best version of this game to buy in 2019? for example, on PC, is the OG Doom 3 SKU + mods better than Doom 3 BFG + mods? I haven't played D3 since launch and am mulling how to get back into it.

EDIT: to clarify, I am certainly leaning towards original Doom 3 to cash in on the heightened darkness + required flashlight button-tap, but I have no idea if there's a modern set of mods in development to pair with that edition.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm quite surprised is not 4k native on Pro too. I mean, the graphic is incredibly dated. If I'm not wrong Hitman Bloody money is it?

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Just to be clear, people are "surprised" (i.e., pleased but were curious) that it's 4K/60fps because the listing on the Marketplace doesn't show it as being Enhanced for 1X.

This is awesome news, and since Bethesda fixed that issue of stripping digital ownership from Doom/Doom II buyers, I'm back to positive mindshare here. Bring on Doom 64!

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I totally did a double take on this post.

Like, Doom 3 from 2004? The fifteen-year old game?

I do remember that my 2004 PC could run it at 720p, but not particularly well.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I remember playing this on the OG and being blown away by how impressive it looked.

It still holds up after all these years. Damn, I guess that goes to show good art is timeless.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
for anyone who can pixel count I guess, but they look the same to me

DOOM 3 BFG at 4K on PC with 4XAA and the other PS4 Pro at 4K output

doom3bfgscreenshot2010akpf.png

2019072918493322ydkio.png

xem

Oct 31, 2017
for anyone who can pixel count I guess, but they look the same to me

DOOM 3 BFG at 4K on PC with 4XAA and the other PS4 Pro at 4K output

doom3bfgscreenshot2010akpf.png

2019072918493322ydkio.png
i see visible jagged edges on the top right step in the 2nd pic that arent there in the 1st. looking on my 4k monitor. also the shadow res under the rails

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
since we're all here hemming and hawing over Doom 3, I'm curious: what is ERA's pick for the best version of this game to buy in 2019? for example, on PC, is the OG Doom 3 SKU + mods better than Doom 3 BFG + mods? I haven't played D3 since launch and am mulling how to get back into it.

EDIT: to clarify, I am certainly leaning towards original Doom 3 to cash in on the heightened darkness + required flashlight button-tap, but I have no idea if there's a modern set of mods in development to pair with that edition.
Doom 3 OG, with mods you can make it look like this, im really shocked BFG didn't improve the very low polygon character models, it's the main reason people said HL2 looked better & i would have thought Id would have noticed that, but i guess not.
shot00012.jpg

Nov 8, 2017
Doom 3 OG, with mods you can make it look like this, im really shocked BFG didn't improve the very low polygon character models, it's the main reason people said HL2 looked better & i would have thought Id would have noticed that, but i guess not.
shot00012.jpg

Redoing all the models would have been a lot of extra work, even though yes I would have apprecaited it.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
shot00012.jpg

you mean, you can use mods to make all the text Russian?!? ;)

(but srsly which mods tho)

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Does Doom 3 have the same DRM issue as the new releases of Doom 1 & 2? If not, I'll download this.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
One thing I like that they didn't keep from the BFG version was the terrible motion blur, it looks terrible at high res.

Oct 25, 2017
A few shots I grabbed last night:

48405801152_95ba3a07ed_o.png

48405799562_c8b54a9431_o.png

The visuals have aged tremendously well.
That first image just looks wrong to me. I bought Doom 3 around its release for my crappy PC, and it really never got that bright and always had that dark hazy look on everything. Seeing the lights getting that bright just looks so off to me.

Even though I still don't really like the gameplay of Doom 3 much, I truly appreciated the horror aesthetic and build up it had going on in the first couple of hours. Shame it gets really repetitive at the end.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
That first image just looks wrong to me. I bought Doom 3 around its release for my crappy PC, and it really never got that bright and always had that dark hazy look on everything. Seeing the lights getting that bright just looks so off to me.

Even though I still don't really like the gameplay of Doom 3 much, I truly appreciated the horror aesthetic and build up it had going on in the first couple of hours. Shame it gets really repetitive at the end.

XahwPNr.jpg

tyhhAaD.jpg

RlJuEAE.jpg

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Doom 3 might have been well optimized game for its day but efficient one it is not, a bit like Crysis. For example the way lighting works is quite old fashioned and AFAIK was one of the reasons for limiting flashlight rather than gameplay design decision. Each light would add one render pass more and draw objects affected by lights so if you have complex object lit by four lights that would mean rendering it four times. Nowadays there are different ways of tackling this and also much more efficient forward methods.

But that is just the way tech evolves and Doom 3 was important step. It's also really cool that id released source code for both D3 and BFG edition so one can look into the (rather readable) code and see how it works. There are also excellent articles about id engine tech including Doom 3: http://fabiensanglard.net/
Indeed.

I wonder how fast it could be with modern forward tiled renderer.
Just for giggles a mesh shader implementation of shadow volumes could be very interesting. (Generation and culling meshlets to only lighted tiles etc.)
Also dynamic GI should be possible.. (specular&diffuse)

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Oh, the game is still plenty dark:

48413006136_6530575a88_o.png

48413006646_148b0b7f0f_o.png

Still probably the literally darkest game I've ever played.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
doom 3 still looking great. wow, i'd say better than a lot of games i still see released to this day!
i loved the horror aspect of this one.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Doom 64 redesigns are best. I think they worked extra well with the new sounds (those same sounds felt a little out of place in the PSX version with the original sprites).

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a little confused as to what those are supposed to be. I flipped the option back and forth in options and I didn't see any difference.

When on, objects you're shining your flashlight on cast shadows. The thing is, since the light's attached to you now instead of held in your hand like the original version, those shadows are often directly behind the object you're looking at, so they're hard to notice.