• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
This game really did change everything. I'd never seen anything like it before that Macworld demo.

I remember the glory of the demo leaking on Kazaa and running it on lowest setting on my like Pentium 3 866mhz or something at like 8 fps. It was an amazing experience and I played a ton of that demo. If memory serves it took days to download. I was probably on 56k at the time.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
He's working through Doom 3 right now. He's even tried it on different screens and talking about how much it benefits from OLED blacks make it even better than it was on the CRT monitors of it's time.

I encourage you all to follow Dark1x on twitter if you want to have a glimpse on stuff he might be working on and show him some first-hand support.

The game originally came out in Spain on my birthday and I haven't managed to beat it yet because I can't handle horror since I was gifted it on that day.
BFG edition is brighter, the OLED comment might be wrong if not compared to the original.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
So its commented by Dark1x that it performs like this on X1X but not a slither of a comment about Ps4 Pro?

Interesting.... probably not had time to try the Ps4 Pro version and literally just owns the X1X version. Cool.
That's exactly right. I'm in the middle of testing now and haven't played the Pro version yet. Wait for the video to find out (I don't know that answer yet).

BFG edition is brighter, the OLED comment might be wrong if not compared to the original.
Well, it's great on OLED regardless but, yes, the OG version looks better

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
He's working through Doom 3 right now. He's even tried it on different screens and talking about how much it benefits from OLED blacks make it even better than it was on the CRT monitors of it's time.

I encourage you all to follow Dark1x on twitter if you want to have a glimpse on stuff he might be working on and show him some first-hand support.

The game originally came out in Spain on my birthday and I haven't managed to beat it yet because I can't handle horror since I was gifted it on that day.

I got it for my Birthday as well(6 days after it was released here in Spain though) and it took me years of trying until I finally managed to beat it some years ago. It's too scary for me lol

Also, I remember one particular jumpscare that almost made me literally fall out my chair.

It's what happens when you are too sensitive to play scary games yet you insist on playing DooM3 with the lights off and surround sound.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Yes, John mentioned that they will cover it, just that since it released as a surprise launch, they were rather busy covering Wolfie Youngblood instead. You should expect a video covering this within the week I'd say.

Thank you both for the information. I'm not on Twitter sadly, I tried with it but just don't get the formatting, I'll bookmark it or something.
Cheers this is the kind of stuff I want him to cover with the way it looks on certain TV sets. Also hoping for some talk about the sound design/direction.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Still strange too see that excitement, being that PC versions are still available and ready to play ages ago =)

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cool, I'll grab it on xbox instead of Switch then :)

Thats what i did, one and two on switch and 3 on xbox one x.

Still strange too see that excitement, being that PC versions are still available and ready to play ages ago =)

Alot of people, myself included, prefer to play on consoles instead of pc's. So when a 4k port of doom 3 comes out on my reasonably powerful console (compared to other consoles, not a beefy pc) its pretty exciting yeah.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
The original idea of Doom 3 making the dark a gameplay element and having to use either a torch or a gun was really clever......I played it back on PC at the time.
Then they bowed to the whingers and moaners and put a flashlight on your gun and totally ruined the entire premise......well done,lol.
Didn't even give an option to use the torch separately.....again,great idea.
Won't be touching this version.
Doom Eternal is looking pretty great though.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It also came out on the original Xbox. That was two generations ago. Not only can people revisit a title from 15 years ago, there's a new generation of people who weren't able to play it before.

Corralx

Aug 23, 2018
London, UK
Poorly optimised? Huh? It runs amazing on anything.

Just because someone turns on 16X AA in game like in that video (which is obscene as it actually super samples in the NV driver under OGL at 16x MSAA), does not mean the game is poorly optimised at all.
8X MSAA + 4K will be an easy 60 fps on that GPU

I doubt 16xMSAA is the issue here, the game has such low geometric complexity that a 1080ti should not have many issues chewing through that even at 4K resolution.
That old and poor Motion Blur implementation could instead very well be the culprit. It looks like exactly the kind of thing that scales very poorly with resolution. 32 samples per pixel, at 4K res are gonna strain even the most powerful piece of hw (assuming the issue is not just the rendering code being suboptimal and/or not well suited for modern drivers/GPUs).

Where is the bit that Nvidia OpenGL driver actually uses supersampling instead of multisampling coming from btw? That seems hardly the case.

Last edited:

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox version was heavily downgraded, afaik.

it is, but it's the full game, like Doom 2016 on Switch, low resolution all around, framerate locked to half, worse loading,

still, I consider it more impressive than Switch Doom 2016 because of how limited the ram was on the Xbox, you had 64MB overall while a PC at the time (one for playing Doom at 1024x768 60fps high) had 1GB for ram and 256MB for video,

Switch has plenty of ram (half of the other consoles), and the CPU is also not that bad,

but yeah, Doom BFG on 360 looks way better

I dont think you would build one to play doom only. I was talking about a gaming PC in general

I see, I still think you are being too pessimistic, you can build a really good gaming PC with 1/3 of that, and I haven't updated my driver since April and I'm doing fine, but this is perhaps a discussion for another thread.,

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I dont think you would build one to play doom only. I was talking about a gaming PC in general

2K is still alot.

An i5/r5 and a GTX 1050 is pretty much all you need to game at or above average levels.
And thats not gonna cost you 2000 dollars.

2000 is actually a pretty high level Gaming PC which most people arent going to be building.

As for driver updates.
I legit dont update my Graphics card drivers unless there is a promise of like 50% performance boost in a game im playing.
Im still on early 400 nvidia drivers and thats actually just because I wanted to test stuff in Afterburner.

Any other drivers.....why are you updating anything on your gaming rig?
Whats there to update really?

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
it is, but it's the full game, like Doom 2016 on Switch, low resolution all around, framerate locked to half, worse loading,

i dont think it is. Reports from doomworld forums say most if not all of the levels were reduced in size; larger and/or more geometrically complex rooms being either toned down or completely removed and replaced with simplified hallways

Scenes were altered or removed throughout the game, a lot of radio chatter removed, the scene showing Broavo Team being attacked- and the subsequent coolant rod raplecemnt- were gone.

It seems it was a port similar to Deus Ex 1 for ps2. It doesnt work, we cant do it as it is, but lets just do it anyway, even if we have to gimp the game every 5 minutes

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
i dont think it is. Reports from doomworld forums say most if not all of the levels were reduced in size; larger and/or more geometrically complex rooms being either toned down or completely removed and replaced with simplified hallways

Scenes were altered or removed throughout the game, a lot of radio chatter removed, the scene showing Broavo Team being attacked- and the subsequent coolant rod raplecemnt- were gone.

It seems it was a port similar to Deus Ex 1 for ps2. It doesnt work, we cant do it as it is, but lets just do it anyway, even if we have to gimp the game every 5 minutes
Hopefully Dark1x will cover this aspect? Or maybe in DF Retro with original PC version, BFG and xbox original compared =)

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
messing with drivers every week
What year is it?

Any other drivers.....why are you updating anything on your gaming rig?
Whats there to update really?
Nothing. That has to be a "PC Gaming is too complicated" troll post.

Just because someone turns on 16X AA in game like in that video (which is obscene as it actually super samples in the NV driver under OGL at 16x MSAA), does not mean the game is poorly optimised at all.
8X MSAA + 4K will be an easy 60 fps on that GPU
Thank you. Hell, I'd love to see the minimum GPU required to play this game at 4K/60 at whatever settings the consoles are using. Then we can get a fair comparison.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017

they had additional load screens (levels being split), but as far as I can remember (and I haven't played it since 2005), it was pretty much all there, and it felt and played the same, but you are probably right, it was a more compromised experience, still worth playing at the time, I played it after the PC version and felt positive about it at the time, again keeping the ram limitations in mind.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
they had additional load screens (levels being split), but as far as I can remember (and I haven't played it since 2005), it was pretty much all there, and it felt and played the same, but you are probably right, it was a more compromised experience, still worth playing at the time, I played it after the PC version and felt positive about it at the time, again keeping the ram limitations in mind.
Yeah, it's heavily altered. The level designs were changed drastically to reduce complexity. That weirdly makes for an interesting game, though, as it's quite different from the original Doom 3.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019

Sure but last time it came out on consoles was back in 2013, with the BFG edition releasing on both the PS3 and the 360. Playing the game again on newer consoles at portable 720p60 or couch console gaming at 4k60 is something new and thus the new excitement lol

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it's heavily altered. The level designs were changed drastically to reduce complexity. That weirdly makes for an interesting game, though, as it's quite different from the original Doom 3.

Wow, I had no idea. I played the XBox version when the game came out and was blown away by it. Maybe that's why there's parts of Doom 3 that I don't remember at all as I'm now playing through the X version. At the time I thought there were only graphics downgrades but not entire sections.

Oct 27, 2017

I love comparing different versions of games. Port differences aren't as interesting as they used to be, but it's still fun to play on a new platform and see what's different.

Besides, there some small gameplay changes on these new versions (mostly related to how sprinting works) that make it more fun in my opinion.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Wow, I had no idea. I played the XBox version when the game came out and was blown away by it. Maybe that's why there's parts of Doom 3 that I don't remember at all as I'm now playing through the X version. At the time I thought there were only graphics downgrades but not entire sections.
You don't remember it because it was too dark.
I love comparing different versions of games. Port differences aren't as interesting as they used to be, but it's still fun to play on a new platform and see what's different.

Besides, there some small gameplay changes on these new versions (mostly related to how sprinting works) that make it more fun in my opinion.

I hope DF compare the Xbox original too, the new BFG edition is the same as the old one, just higher res.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
So dark, lol. I think I preferred switching between flashlight and gun from the original though. The new one just pisses me off with how I have to keep reactivating it every few seconds because the battery died.
Everyone hated the flashlight, but the game was balanced around it. they probably did go overboard with the darkness, but i respect their artistic decision to do that & i think that version should be preserved.

Oct 27, 2017

I hope DF compare the Xbox original too, the new BFG edition is the same as the old one, just higher res.

I've been going back and forth between the 360/PS3 versions, and the Switch/Xbox One version, and there are a few differences.

Movement speed is faster, even when not running.
Crouching and running are toggles instead of having to hold sticks in.
Your gun doesn't get lowered when running, and the head bob is reduced.

Those last two changes make it so that you could play the whole game in run mode, making for a much faster game.

I haven't noticed any graphical changes. I heard some people on twitter claim the POV was wider, but I haven't checked, so take that with a grain of salt.

Overall it's pretty small changes, but I do like playing it more than the last gen versions.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Let's not get too crazy here. I have 2.5 days remaining to produce this video on three different games on three platforms. I'll do as much as I can, but realistically, there is a limit to what's possible.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been going back and forth between the 360/PS3 versions, and the Switch/Xbox One version, and there are a few differences.

Movement speed is faster, even when not running.
Crouching and running are toggles instead of having to hold sticks in.
Your gun doesn't get lowered when running, and the head bob is reduced.

Those last two changes make it so that you could play the whole game in run mode, making for a much faster game.

I haven't noticed any graphical changes. I heard some people on twitter claim the POV was wider, but I haven't checked, so take that with a grain of salt.

Overall it's pretty small changes, but I do like playing it more than the last gen versions.

There's an FOV slider option in the new version. You can change up to 100 I believe.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's not get too crazy here. I have 2.5 days remaining to produce this video on three different games on three platforms. I'll do as much as I can, but realistically, there is a limit to what's possible.
I would save it for a DF Retro episode honestly. The technology could make for a really interesting episode.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
No stress at all, i just thought it would be cool. probably an idea for another video.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017

Maybe turn it into another DF Retro! Thank you though for what you do in the time available.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The real comparison is DOOM 3 on Switch vs Shield TV vs Shield TV version running on Switch through Lineage OS. (And a video on Lineage OS on Switch and Shield games compared to Shield TV and other Android devices, in general)

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
Had an athlon 2600 and a radeon 9600 pro with 1 gig of ram. Played the game comfortably, spent nowhere near that amount.

I agree. Personally played it on an Athlon XP 2500+ Barton overclocked to 3200+, a 9700 pro and 1gb of ram and I could max the game @ 1024x768 with a fairly stable 60fps or raise it at 1600x1200 for a mostly stable 30fps experience. Didn't spend that much money either, but truthfully I bought many used parts because retail price were pretty damn expensive.

Anyway, while the whole "spend a shit ton of money while upgrading your drivers frequently" is a sentence that doesn't accurately reflect the reality of how it was back then, it is closer to the truth of how it was back then compared to how it is now. Nowadays, every single word of this sentence is absolutely false. Back then, in some region and depending on which hardware you bought, it could have been true. Here in canada, we were price gouged AF when it came to computer. $3000 standard computers were only starting to slowly disappear around that time.

Edit:

After looking at the benchmarks for Doom 3 from this epoch, there is no in hell I could run the game at 1024x768 maxed out at a stable 60fps with that setup. Thinking deeper about it, I'm pretty sure I was running the game instead with a mix of medium and very few high settings, at 1024x768 with an average around 35-45fps or closer to 60fps at 800x600. I also remember there were instances in the game where it would slow down into the 20s. I remember there was a debate as to whether you could actually run the game with ultra textures on a video card with anything less than 512mb of memory. Even if you enabled the option, the thory was that it wasn't really running at ultra, but instead ran at high settings. A couple of tricks were discovered while you could force the game to run at ultra texture with an edit of the .ini file but there never was a consensus regarding this.

I remember that while fiddling with the .ini file, I once ran the game on my 9700 pro with textures that were beyond anything I'ver ever seen during my 2 playthroughs of the game. The specific textures I'm thinking about are the textures inside the elevators, specifically the box in the middle with some air vent, which was drastically better and much more beautiful than anything I've managed to obtain out of a deep .ini file cutomization before. It happened once. The next time I restarted the game, I could never manage for the game to display those ever again and instead was condemned to use the medium/high setting textures.

Doom-3-large-847.jpg

Last edited: