• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you think the regular shotgun is too weak in Doom 2016 & Doom Eternal?

• Yes it's too weak compared to the old games

Votes: 132 26.2%
  • Yes but I don't really mind

Votes: 96 19.1%
  • No but I think the spread should be tighter, like in the old games

Votes: 88 17.5%
  • Nah it's perfectly fine, the shotguns in the old games are too OP

Votes: 187 37.2%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Blade Wolf

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Gauss, plasma aoe, shotgun grenade, RL airburst. Effortlessly rip through everything, is why I found the game so boring. Enemy count was way too low and the upgrades made you way too strong.

Agree, it's the least replayable Doom for me (not counting Doom 3)

The shotgun is basically a grenade launcher, the plasma rifle deals less damage than machinegun so it's only good for the mod AOE, the gauss is basically a sniper BFG and the rocket launcher can blow shit up without even needing to aim.

Even on UV I find the game boring, I'm playing Doom II now (for the first time) and honestly it's way more fun & balanced. Feels great to blast demons into pieces using a gun instead of having to worry about glory kill.

Last edited:

Emmz

Oct 28, 2017
Terrible balancing, they might as well delete the shotgun after you get the Super Shotgun.

Outside of pistol there's no such thing as a starter weapon in Doom, all weapons are Doom guy's powerful tool against the hell horde.

The regular shotgun & super shotgun are perfectly balanced in Doom II, see my OP post for comparison. The super did not make the regular obsolete.

The problem with this post is that it assumes that what Doom was and what you think Doom should be is what Doom is. And also that your is intrinsically right and that the present design is "bad".

Unfortunately for you, you're not the creative director of the game, and your edict about what Doom shall be is not the final word.

OP
OP
Blade Wolf

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
The problem with this post is that it assumes that what Doom was and what you think Doom should be is what Doom is. And also that your is intrinsically right and that the present design is "bad".

I'm discussing the game and sharing my opinion, by your logic people can't even discuss game balancing cause it's ''too subjective''

Unfortunately for you, you're not the creative director of the game, and your edict about what Doom shall be is not the final word.

The creative director actually agree with what I said that the super shotgun completely breaks the balance and the rocket launcher should be less like a rifle and more like the rocket : )

FelixFFM

Nov 7, 2017
Sounds to me like your problem isn't so much the shotgun itself but with glory kills being in the main gameplay loop.
I take it you haven't played Eternal?. It's a LOT more fast paced and hectic and MUCH harder than 2016. Glory kills are absolutely needed, not just for health, but to give you a breather to assess the situation and figure out what to do next.

XL Hoodie

Oct 25, 2017
U.S.
The way you play the game kind of has an impact. It is what you make it. If you're only using one weapon and glory killing every other enemy of course it's going to get boring and repetitive.

Watch the vid I posted. That's some batshit insane gameplay.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017

The shotgun is basically a grenade launcher, the plasma rifle deals less damage than machinegun so it's only good for the mod AOE, the gauss is basically a sniper BFG and the rocket launcher can blow shit up without even needing to aim.

Even on UV I find the game boring, I'm playing Doom II now (for the first time) and honestly it's way more fun & balanced. Feels great to blast demons into pieces using a gun instead of having to worry about glory kill.

The new id team just isn't as talented as the old one, no wonder they struggled for ages to came up with a decent Doom game, and they even brought the worst mechanic in the cancelled Doom 4 into the new one.
I still find Doom 1 to the best because 2 was way too 'mean'. Picking up a random shotgun clip and you activate like 5 monster closets. It felt way more punishing than 1 and required much more planning and death-attempt-death-attempt knowledge. It's why pistol starts are so popular and hard to pull off, some levels you just couldn't do it.

Forgot about the BFG in 2016, also a Stark contrast to how it is in Doom 2 as you'll see where the BFG is a NECESSARY tool in Doom 2. Not the luxurious room wiper it is in 2016.

Kent

Jun 4, 2018
It was consistently useful throughout the campaign simply because it was functionally-different from the Super Shotgun. The ability to not egregiously-overkill something is pretty important to the intended gameplay loop - while at the same time, the mods (particularly the grenade mod) allows it the lethality necessary to deal with bigger, bulkier demons you find later on and in boss fights.

Not every weapon has to compete in the same niche, and that functionality difference is important.

OP
OP
Blade Wolf

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I still find Doom 1 to the best because 2 was way too 'mean'. Picking up a random shotgun clip and you activate like 5 monster closets. It felt way more punishing than 1 and required much more planning and death-attempt-death-attempt knowledge. It's why pistol starts are so popular and hard to pull off, some levels you just couldn't do it.

Doom 1 is definitely the best, I can tolerate mean levels (most of which are done by John Romero) but it's the Sandy Peterson levels that really frustrates me. Downtown is hot garbage.

Forgot about the BFG in 2016, also a Stark contrast to how it is in Doom 2 as you'll see where the BFG is a NECESSARY tool in Doom 2. Not the luxurious room wiper it is in 2016.

I hear ya, the BFG in 2016 is basically a ''fuck this it's too hard imma nuke the map'' card

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Just look at this, it's pathetic.

The zombie at 5:03 took two direct hits from the shotgun at close range and isn't even dead, only staggered for glory kill.

(Time stamped at 5:03)

Anyone who think they didn't balance the weapons around Glory Kill is delusional, and anyone who think the shotgun is ''perfectly fine'' is just wrong.

Ten seconds later they one shot two different enemies with it...

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017

The new id team just isn't as talented as the old one, no wonder they struggled for ages to came up with a decent Doom game, and they even brought the worst mechanic in the cancelled Doom 4 into the new one. The glory animation executions.

Is there a reason you aren't playing on Nightmare?

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
The explosive shot was incredible and put in heavy work for me.
I even used the tighter spread shot a lot.
I liked that gun op 🤷‍♂️

The pistol was what was trash and unsatisfying

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
You are just much more mobile in Doom 2016 because there's more verticality, so I feel like the difference in shotgunpower offests that.
I mean you can't even jump in classic Doom, the only way to go vertical is to get on a moving platform and then leaping off of there.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Just look at this, it's pathetic.

The zombie at 5:03 took two direct hits from the shotgun at close range and isn't even dead, only staggered for glory kill.

(Time stamped at 5:03)

Anyone who think they didn't balance the weapons around Glory Kill is delusional, and anyone who think the shotgun is ''perfectly fine'' is just wrong.

It's your first and default weapon in this game, it's regular firing should be pretty weak. It's sticky grenade and rapid fire mods however are not.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
I have to agree with the OP - while there may be a case for the shotgun being weaker than in Doom 1 & 2, in practice it's nowhere near as fun to use as a result. At least there's now a gattling mod for it to give it more DPS.

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked the shotgun but I also dont think it was OP in the old games so the poll option is a little loaded. It's just different. The super shotgun with the double shot before reload is savage so I dunno, no problems here

Does the shotgun in Rage 2 automatically ADS when you fire it? Because that looks dumb as hell.

Nah ads activates the concussive blast, you can use it regular

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Feels great to blast demons into pieces using a gun instead of having to worry about glory kill.

The new id team just isn't as talented as the old one, no wonder they struggled for ages to came up with a decent Doom game, and they even brought the worst mechanic in the cancelled Doom 4 into the new one. The glory animation executions.

You don't have to use the Glory kills.

And didn't the old team at id come up with Rage, and then fail to get Doom 4 out the door?

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I liked it more than the double barrel in 2016 lol. But then again I really don't share the same affinity to OG DOOM as others.

OP
OP
Blade Wolf

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
It's your first and default weapon in this game, it's regular firing should be pretty weak.

As a classic Doom fan my response to that is FUCK NO

Anyone who suggests the shotgun is supposed to be weak in a Doom game gets a FUCK NO

You don't have to use the Glory kills.

And didn't the old team at id come up with Rage, and then fail to get Doom 4 out the door?

By the time they work on Rage it is already the new id.

Also I know I don't have to use Glory Kills but the issue is that they are literally balancing the weapons around it. That's why the shotgun is so weak, it's to teach players about Glory Kills.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Does the shotgun in Rage 2 automatically ADS when you fire it? Because that looks dumb as hell.

Having not played the game, it looks like it tightens the spread when you aim down the sights (the crosshair contracts at least). So presuming there's a movement penalty for using ADS all the time, the optimum strategy is to quick-scope each shot.

Zeneric

Banned
Aug 29, 2019
The shotgun is my favorite/most used weapon in DOOM 2016. And it's considered a weak weapon? How strange.
Helps a lot when it has a mod installed (especially explosive shot mod).

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Yeah I want the shotgun to feel powerful and make me want to stick with it. Maybe it'll have some better upgrades this time around at least.

Zeneric

Banned
Aug 29, 2019
"Let me guess, you use the grande mod most of the time? What a wonderful shotgun. "

Aye, most of time on Nightmare difficulty.
Shotgun is weak without mods. But with a mod installed, shotgun is super fun.

OP
OP
Blade Wolf

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Shotgun is weak without mods.

LMAO thank you for literally reinforcing my point.

Shotgun is weak in 2016, period.
The only thing that makes it usable is the grenade launcher that came with it. Might as well just delete the gun and give us a real grenade launcher instead.

Try using the shotgun like a shotgun, oh wait you can't cause it fucking sucks.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Absolutely in awe of this lad who played through DOOM 2016 11 times, hate glory kills, and is obsessed with an undertuned shotgun.

Id has been a junk factory for a decade. DOOM 2016 is one of the very best games ever made and the only worthwhile game from that studio since fucking Quake 3!

This thread is filling me with all sorts of feelings.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
As a classic Doom fan my response to that is FUCK NO

Anyone who suggests the shotgun is supposed to be weak in a Doom game gets a FUCK NO
Honestly regular shotgun never felt that strong in OG Doom to me either, especially once when you get to compare it to the Super Shotgun in 2. And again, those games had the pistol as your default.

Thinking "this is how it was, so it should always be this way" is not a good way to design or critique video games.

OP
OP
Blade Wolf

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Absolutely in awe of this lad who played through DOOM 2016 11 times, hate glory kills, and is obsessed with an undertuned shotgun.

Id has been a junk factory for a decade. DOOM 2016 is one of the very best games ever made and the only worthwhile game from that studio since fucking Quake 3!

This thread is filling me with all sorts of feelings.

Nothing wrong with a guy who loves the Doom franchise and think the new 2016 one is just a few steps away from being 10/10

One of the steps is the garbage useless shotgun

Also Doom 2016 being the best id game since Quake 3 isn't saying a lot, ask any Doom fan and they will say they still prefer the old Doom games. Which is telling considering the new Doom is like ten thousand times more expansive.

It's not nostalgia either cause I didn't play the old Doom games until after 2016.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Im currently replaying through Doom 2016 right now. I find the shotgun to be a solid weapon. Yes, the grenade launcher is a large reason, so if you are exclusively focused on its shutgun only prowess I can understand.

Also, I never use the super shotgun. I think it sucks *shrug*

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Nothing wrong with a guy who loves the Doom franchise and think the new 2016 one is just a few steps away from being 10/10

One of the steps is the garbage useless shotgun
I 100% endorse getting weird over small things in videogames. The only thing you have said I think is objectively silly is that the new id team isn't as talented as the old one. DOOM 2016 is an all time banger. Might not be as important as DOOM, but timing plays a role there. Harder to invent genres today than it was 25 years ago.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think it was the first single player shooter to pull me away from my go to games at the time (OW, Siege). The movement and gunplay felt sublime. Glory kills are...okay, but once you've seen one you kinda seen them all. I guess I have mixed feelings about it coming back to 2020. I never disabled them but if you still get health even when it's turned off then I might need to do that. I don't like that little 2-3 second pause during frantic fights.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
No, just feel like UV is perfect for me and any harder wouldn't be my cup of tea.
Mind you this is all just my assumption as I never tried Nightmare, I presume it's basically just demons dealing more damage to the player?

Yes, enemies hit much harder. Supposedly they are more aggressive and resilient as well, but it wasn't immediately noticeable to me. Though I've only played through the game twice, once on UV, once on Nightmare. I was just curious because you said the game was boring.

Personally, I had no issues with the shotgun in Doom 2016. Yeah, it's main purpose is a grenade launcher with a cool down, but it didn't bother me that it wasn't a workhorse weapon.

The pistol has always been trash though

The pistol is pretty satisfying to one tap weaker possessed with.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'd rank 2016 above DOOM 2 and Ultimate DOOM way above 2016 and all above DOOM 3 although I think your complaints are valid and it *seems* like they're going to be addressed in Eternal.

I don't like the ammo overlap either. It further neutered the plasma, assault rifle, and combat shotgun. I think the combat shotgun and plasma were fine weapons on their own (assault rifle is a little redundant imo) but the spread could be a little annoying on the shotgun. It shouldn't take two shots to stagger enemy soldiers at mid range half the time. The weapon mods gave it more utility as the game went on, but the super shotgun shits on every gun - especially with the double tap perk. As far as your DOOM 2 praise, the super shotgun similarly outmodes the regular shotgun although it isn't as OP as 2016's.

Last edited:

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Not really, just feel like UV is perfect for me and any harder wouldn't be my cup of tea.
Mind you this is all just my assumption as I never tried Nightmare, I presume it's basically just demons dealing more damage to the player?
Nightmare is same as UV but one death resets the whole game. It's honestly just tedious, the start is the hardest with the dogshit inaccurate pistol and 20m wide shotgun spread. Most of my deaths came from barrels and pitfalls anyway. Think I got to UAC till a barrel got flung at me and I just shelved nightmare.

If they fix some of the things you and I have issues with in Eternal then I feel you and I will be Nightmare gamers.

OP
OP
Blade Wolf

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Nightmare is same as UV but one death resets the whole game. It's honestly just tedious, the start is the hardest with the dogshit inaccurate pistol and 20m wide shotgun spread. Most of my deaths came from barrels and pitfalls anyway. Think I got to UAC till a barrel got flung at me and I just shelved nightmare.

If they fix some of the things you and I have issues with in Eternal then I feel you and I will be Nightmare gamers.

I see, sounds like a literal Nightmare then.

Also hell yeah if the game is well balanced this time we will definitely play on Nightmare.

I think it was the first single player shooter to pull me away from my go to games at the time (OW, Siege). The movement and gunplay felt sublime. Glory kills are...okay, but once you've seen one you kinda seen them all. I guess I have mixed feelings about it coming back to 2020. I never disabled them but if you still get health even when it's turned off then I might need to do that. I don't like that little 2-3 second pause during frantic fights.

Same, Glory Kill is very cool but it's also not fun. It's literally just first person cutscenes and the variety is and will always be limited.

I've said in previous post that I wish Glory Kill is only accessible when you hit a demon's weakpoint or something and has nothing to do with demon's HP at all.

This way they don't have to balance the gun around glory kills such as intentionally making the starting shotgun weaker. We get to blast demons as well as rip & tear.

Last edited:

Rodya

Dec 20, 2019

That's ultra-nightmare. Nightmare is like UV but more punishing. It's the best difficulty IMO.

OP
OP
Blade Wolf

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Nightmare is indeed really awesome. You cannot sit still there and your guns though are still very damaging. I like it.

For real tho, I know the gentlemen over at DF played Doom Eternal and they are big fans of the original.

How's the base shotgun this time? Do you wish they make it slightly more powerful?

In all the footage people literally only ever use the sticky grenade and never the shotgun itself unless they have to.

Last edited: