• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
not april fools, finally a game that can push your 3090 Ti to the limits

supports FSR and DLSS (bring your own dll file)
flashlight included
supports the first 3 episodes

download here, requires original game's DOOM.WAD

screenshots (I turned bloom off):
doom2.png

doom.png

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
not april fools, finally a game that can push your 3090 Ti to the limits
Due to the date, my first reaction was idon'tbeliveyou.gif. This sort of thing feels very much like the type of good natured April's Fools jokes that you'd see in an old issue of EGM magazine.

Not gonna lie though, this looks much cooler than I was initially expecting.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Thanks for the screenshots with bloom turned off. When I first saw this trailer I thought it was fake because of the excessive bloom. It reminded me of trailers for fake RTX mods.
Perfectly shaded sprites that throw accurate shadows are just the right kind of mixture of old and new tech I want to see.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Oh shit.. definitely trying this when I get home.

Bad day to drop it, though.. lol.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not to my liking visually but that must have taken some doing, really impressive.

Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap! This looks great!

Dont' have an RTX card, but I'm sure I can make my poor 1080 cry running it at 720p or something.

I'm glad they kept the unfiltered textures. Doom wouldn't look right without them.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
Some places appear very dark without the light sources, so I have to shoot to create the light.
Though seeing Doomguy self shadow is pretty cool.

Also, it might need some clear RT reflection effect like in Quake RTX, however I haven't played all levels to encounter any walls or objects that have mirror-like reflection.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
How does this work? Did someone have to reprogram doom engine? How can a new technology work on such an old game?

Deleted member 110527

Mar 11, 2022
Wait a second, this ISN'T an April Fools joke?!?

CooperativeSeriousBunny.webp

john2gr

Oct 27, 2017
At 4K with DLSS Quality, an RTX3080 cannot maintain constant 60fps. Just so you can get an idea of the GPU requirements. Nevertheless, it looks amazing (some maps actually gave me some Doom 64 vibes). I've also tried running Doom 2 and it doesn't work well (numerous lights are not functioning correctly).

Now can we get a ray tracing mod for the first Unreal game? Or similar path tracing mods for other classic FPS games (like Blood, Duke Nukem 3D or Shadow Warrior)? :D

CGriffiths86

Oct 28, 2017
I legit like Ray Tracing on more simplified graphics than any "realistic" looking game. Minecraft is still my fav showcase for RT.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty gaudy. It could actually be a cool little thing, the effect looks really cool when applied to the effects like seeing the crackling light when enemies fire at you and whatnot but like, the big pits of glowing purple, etc just look really goofy.

CGriffiths86

Oct 28, 2017
I played the first few levels and while it is neat, like others have mentioned, some effects need to be toned down a bit. I'm getting heavy 2004 "LOOK AT THIS BLOOM" vibes sometimes.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
god I fucking love modern lighting and visual techniques used in sprite-based games.

Condwiramurs

Nov 10, 2020
Some places appear very dark without the light sources, so I have to shoot to create the light.
Though seeing Doomguy self shadow is pretty cool.

Also, it might need some clear RT reflection effect like in Quake RTX, however I haven't played all levels to encounter any walls or objects that have mirror-like reflection.
thats why they have a pop up that tells you to use the flashlight with F :P
it looks really nice (once you turn down/disable the bloom)

Just not a fan of the weird reflective parts on the UAC crates