• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Did those involve Nintendo PR, developers, or voice actors literally contributing to the fanboy drama though? Because that seems far more damaging to the industry as a whole, especially in regards to perpetuating the behavior.

you dont remember miyamoto quoting FDR?

"the only thing we have to fear is a 7.5 or lower"

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Let me be clear. That review was worthy of ridicule, it wasn't worth pushing for it to be removed from metacritic.
That's fair, I respect that. I just don't think that a voice actor from the game is the one to do that, though. It's incredible petty and tacky, especially for a game that was reviewed so well.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
you dont remember miyamoto quoting FDR?

"the only thing we have to fear is a 7.5 or lower"
Actually, I think Miyamoto said "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is never fair, and perhaps it is a good thing for most of us that it is not".

Oct 26, 2017
of course him and every other critic is going to defend their career because its their career, but i'm firmly in the camp of critics having the least important or insightful perspective. I care about what players think and what developers and other creatives think.
Yeah. Y'know Ebert was a total hack!

Ah, there it is. Can't have a Jim Sterling thread without an ad hom.
It's tone policing at its most blatant.

Oct 25, 2017
Most video game criticism is garbage, but the idea that proper critics - i.e. educated, thoughful, and insightful - are somehow not necessary or that their input doesn't mean much is wild.

For example, I love Jane Eyre, but The Madwoman in the Attic is just as important as the work that it critiques because it dissects the issues of gender and race in the book that Bronte, whether knowingly or not, wrote into her own work. Good critics catch these things and discuss and analyze them properly. I feel like the Polygon review was a fair bit of criticism and generally thoughtful. These game devs just want unthinking worshipfulness sometimes, which is what happens I guess when reviewers are really an extension of the video game's advertising arm in so many cases.

Who I don't give a damn about is some VO defending his work on a game uncritically because he can't take critique.

And I certainly don't rate most of the unthinking criticism from the majority of the player base.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Obviously Schindler's List is a terrible comparison, because yes, you're right - it wasn't difficult to sit through because of the acting, but because it was a movie about the horrible realities of holocaust.
It was a supremely ill-thought comparison made in bad taste.
That's very much not the point here, though.

Jason's tweets sometimes come across as shitposts, fine, he's human, he's not required to be this infallible emotionless paragon of critical objectivity. But so is Troy. Starting petitions to remove reviews is, again, going way too far, but he's allowed to react emotionally to something that he feels insulted by (whether it's warranted or not).
Ok and this has what to do with the conversation at hand given youre suggesting what Jason tweeted about wasnt wrong-unless you are saying that and in which case I would love to know your reasoning for it. Nothing about what youre talking about with Jason's tweets applies to the situation where people in the industry are being hilariously pathetic over an innocuous tweet asking someone to not compare a zombie game to the holocaust. Its weird seeing people bring that up here when its entirely beyond the topic here.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously Schindler's List is a terrible comparison, because yes, you're right - it wasn't difficult to sit through because of the acting, but because it was a movie about the horrible realities of holocaust.
It was a supremely ill-thought comparison made in bad taste.
That's very much not the point here, though.

Jason's tweets sometimes come across as shitposts, fine, he's human, he's not required to be this infallible emotionless paragon of critical objectivity. But so is Troy. Starting petitions to remove reviews is, again, going way too far, but he's allowed to react emotionally to something that he feels insulted by (whether it's warranted or not).

. I mean Jason isn't a friend to these people, he tweeted commentary on one hand and a disagreement to a pretentious fan comparing the game to Schindler's List. He didn't Tweeted at anyone at Sony or ND, they jumped on him and really amplified the situation. And apparently Neil was also really upset at people using that original comparins to compare a bunch of other games to other works of art as a joke to show how ridiculous the OG comparison was.

Talk about a self serious humorless bunch.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Ok and this has what to do with the conversation at hand given youre suggesting what Jason tweeted about wasnt wrong-unless you are saying that and in which case I would love to know your reasoning for it. Nothing about what youre talking about with Jason's tweets applies to the situation where people in the industry are being hilariously pathetic over an innocuous tweet asking someone to not compare a zombie game to the holocaust. Its weird seeing people bring that up here when its entirely beyond the topic here.

I kinda feel like the discourse in this thread has significantly expanded beyond this one isolated incident but sure, if you want to acknowledge just that one thing, then yes, Jason was right, Troy was embarrassing.
Satisfied?

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprising in the slightest when ND employees were tweeting salt gifs as the game was released. Shoot, all you have to do is go to the TLOU2 review thread here to see how folks are responding to negative reviews because now their darling product isn't going to be rated as highly 'as it should'. I hope reviewers continue to critique games based on their actual, valid criticisms and don't give in to pressure from both fans and those who worked on the game, etc.

The game still appears to be a fantastic game, and I'm excited to play it, but some of these guys need to take a step back. Instead of talking about one negative review out of 100 good ones, maybe we should have some of these higher ups in the industry actually talk about the crunch and sexual harassment/assault that they allow to persist.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
The entire Jason argument started with a guy comparing the emotional impact he had with story with Scinder list , to whom Jason attacked, Neil stepped in since he felt he is Jew as well and maybe thought telling Jason that the Jeff didnt intent that way

and then the argument started

I dont think this incident relates to how dare you criticize the game
But why did Neil need to step in to tell Jason what Jeff's intent was? Why couldn't jeff do that himself? How does Neil know what Jeff's intent was? It was embarrassing that Neil responded. It wasn't his place to respond

NoUse4AName

Banned
Feb 5, 2019
i mean there is about a dozen things i could reply to in this post but, still, the comparison was just the last of us part ii is the schindler's list of video games

none of that speaks to the craft of how it was made

I mean ....the guy has 5 tweeter post about how the game was crafted and the first post is about talks about Game Narrative.

The Guy didn't said that TLOUS2 was The Holocaust of Video games....

The Guy said "TLOUS2 is The Shindler List of VideoGames"

And The Shindler list my friend is a movie crafted I'm the same way that you craft every movie and there is nothing wrong in comparing Pieces of Entertainment....

He is not making a comparison with the Holocaust ....He compared TLOUS2 with a MOVIE about the Holocaust.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Absolutely not (at least I don't remember it), but the person I quoted talked about "fans".

Who in turn was quoting someone highlighting how video game review scores in general seem to garner a lot of attention relative to the reviews of other forms of media. The crazy part of this whole situation is that some Sony fans are literally rallying behind the creators themselves exhibiting the toxic fanboy behavior of actively disputing reviews from critics.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I kinda feel like the discourse in this thread has significantly expanded beyond this one isolated incident but sure, if you want to acknowledge just that one thing, then yes, Jason was right, Troy was embarrassing.
Satisfied?
I'm not sure I saw how the conversation evolved beyond the central issue being discussed here I guess.
I mean ....the guy has 5 tweeter post about how the game was crafted and the first post is about talks about Game Narrative.

The Guy didn't said that TLOUS2 was The Holocaust of Video games....

The Guy said "TLOUS2 is The Shindler List of VideoGames"

And The Shindler list my friend is a movie crafted I'm the same way that you craft every movie and there is nothing wrong in comparing Pieces of Entertainment....

He is not making a comparison with the Holocaust ....He compared TLOUS2 with a MOVIE about the Holocaust.
You cannot separate the holocaust out of the comparison given that schindler's list is specifically about that historical event. It IS a direct comparison because that movie is considered to be as poignant as it is specifically due to the context of the event. WHat is with people trying to separate the two? Do you honestly think schindler's list would be that well regarded if it wasn't about one of the most violent events in recorded history? The answer is no, it wouldn't.

This isn't proving the point you think it does. But keep spending all these posts trying to stan for that tweet.

coldsagging

AVALANCHE
Oct 27, 2017
Even if he's sensitive to criticism, the game has received an overwhelming avalanche of 9s and 10s from across the industry. It's in Game of the Year discussions. It's a game that for an overwhelming majority of people who have played it, lived up to the stratospheric standards of the original. Not being able to cope with the absence of universal, absolute praise is just pathetic. He did a great job as always, the game itself is excellent, it's a smash hit critically and a smash hit financially. It checks all of the success boxes, but a few people critiquing it gets under his skin? It's a bit much.

You're not wrong, I agree that all the insane critical and commercial success should be more than enough to speak for itself. Nothing need be said at all really.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There was nothing entertaining about Schindler's List. It was a film, yes, but Spielberg did not create that film as anything other than a black and white documentary. In fact he's on the record saying it was approached that way. There were no flourishes that resembled entertainment.

It was a movie, yes, but to infer that on the surface that The Last of Us 2 can possibly evoke the same sensations when compared against a visual reproduction of the horrors from one of the worst ethnic cleanses (if not THE worst) of the 20th century So not only misinformed and dishonest, but it's very sad too

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
It's really disheartening to see such discourse over this game. Love or hate.

NoUse4AName

Banned
Feb 5, 2019
I'm not sure I saw how the conversation evolved beyond the central issue being discussed here I guess.

You cannot separate the holocaust out of the comparison given that schindler's list is specifically about that historical event. It IS a direct comparison because that movie is considered to be as poignant as it is specifically due to the context of the event. WHat is with people trying to separate the two? Do you honestly think schindler's list would be that well regarded if it wasn't about one of the most violent events in recorded history? The answer is no, it wouldn't.

Can you or anyone here answer me what is being reviewed and scored here?

The Holocaust or The Movie...?

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/schindlers_list

And please don't tell us that Rotten Tomatoes is putting scores and reviews over the worst Genocide in Human History.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
I forget the name of the report he was quoting, but man that last paragraph he read off at the end was really emblamatic of the issues reviewing giant AAA games in recent years. It all feels fake, because everyone is aware of the power these studios have.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah. I guess you don't.
Youre more than welcome to show what posts and parts of the conversation have included expanding the conversation beyond the points of the video if you feel ive missed something to Jason sometimes tweeting mean things. I'm not sure how thats germane to the video or topic in question tho.

And please don't tell us that Rotten Tomatoes is putting scores and reviews over the worst Genocide in Human History.
A movie...specifically about the holocaust. Lol. You people are weird.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
As much as I like Troy Baker, his take on this was really pretty pathetic. He comes across as some Naughty Dog marketer or something, and quite frankly his over the top defense isn't at all warranted because absolutely no one is criticizing the acting/voice acting in this game.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

HorrifiedFace.gif

shem

Oct 25, 2017
It really is pretty meta that the solution to the originating tweets and then this thread is "Just logoff" and people continue ignoring it.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
"what is being reviewed? the movie or the holocaust?" is an all time great post

the last of us has just produced so many funny takes that it's a shame most of them are just going to be forgotten

Last edited:

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Youre more than welcome to show what posts and parts of the conversation have included expanding the conversation beyond the points of the video if you feel ive missed something to Jason sometimes tweeting mean things. I'm not sure how thats germane to the video or topic in question tho.

The fuck am I supposed to do with your "I'm not sure"?
Holler at me when you're sure, then. I honestly have no idea what your goal even is in this conversation. I told you that you're right about that isolated incident, you refuse to acknowledge the rest, how would you like to continue interacting?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The fuck am I supposed to do with your "I'm not sure"?
Holler at me when you're sure, then. I honestly have no idea what your goal even is in this conversation. I told you that you're right about that isolated incident, you refuse to acknowledge the rest, how would you like to continue interacting?
I just asked you to point me towards the posts that moved the conversation into Jason tweeting mean things, outside the incident in question, and how it related to this discussion. I thought it was a simple request? Youre the one who made that argument afterall so I must have missed where this happened.

NoUse4AName

Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Youre more than welcome to show what posts and parts of the conversation have included expanding the conversation beyond the points of the video if you feel ive missed something to Jason sometimes jason tweets mean things. I'm not sure how thats germane to the video or topic in question tho.

Exactly is that simple.....A Movie about The Holocaust like many others, are we going to jump on everyone talking about WWII Movies?

Jason was wrong there is no need to take sides....but what Jason did with that tweet was simple BAD.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Crackdown 3 is the citizen kane of video games. Its story, so rich with its allegories to the failings of capitalism, i shed a tear for every gang leader i was forced to brutalize, for they were only victims of their desire for a better life. Working for a tyrannical leader who is absolutley a stand in for the president, I took away the hopes and dreams of each gang member. Crackdown 3 is dead, its reflection of the horrors of capitalism was clearly a mirror that was too real for so called game journalists to stare into. long live crackdown 3.

....im joking of course, i honestly have nothing against the last of us 2, im really enjoying, but i think all of this drama surrounding reviews is really silly

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Exactly is that simple.....A Movie about The Holocaust like many others, are we going to jump on everyone talking about WWII Movies?

Jason was wrong there is no need to take sides....but what Jason did with that tweet was simple BAD.
I mean I wasn't sure we ever would top the anne frank-death stranding comparisons made on this site but here we are lol.

zYuuKwn

Jun 15, 2020
Oh right I missed that, sorry. Yeah I guess you can say that, the gameplay part of tlou makes the story part stronger for me tho
Strangely enough, I was really serious about this comparison, there's an arch in the show with a heavy emphasis in this revenge discourse and everything. Not trying to dismiss the TLOU2 story or anything, just pointing that out =b

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
In many ways this video makes a lot more sense in the context of Jim's previous video, and I have to say that I agree with the points that he's making here.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
I just woke up and learned about the whole situation.
Embarrassing tweet from Troy.
Came off as a paid shill more than a vet VA

Astraea

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
"I condone and encourage your ability to form whatever opinion you might have"

Pack it up everyone, Troy's graciously allowing us our opinions! we can close the thread now, it won't get better than that.

Oh my God Troy, those tweets. Can he even hear the opinion of others with his head so far up his own ass?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Jim is absolutely right as usual. The fact we STILL have publishers contacting professional reviewers because a score is "too low" is really sad. It's one thing if a reviewer has something factually wrong (like saying the game doesn't have an easy mode for new players, when it has an easy mode) but if a reviewer didn't like the game then they didn't like the game and their review should reflect that. This is just another reminder why review scores should be removed in favor of hate/meh/like/love style review or even reviews with just a pro/con list at the end.

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
Jim is absolutely right as usual. The fact we STILL have publishers contacting professional reviewers because a score is "too low" is really sad. It's one thing if a reviewer has something factually wrong (like saying the game doesn't have an easy mode for new players, when it has an easy mode) but if a reviewer didn't like the game then they didn't like the game and their review should reflect that. This is just another reminder why review scores should be removed in favor of hate/meh/like/love style review or even reviews with just a pro/con list at the end.
I almost completely agree wth this post.
Jim is right as usual, Troy being deffensive about it and publicly tweeting to "defend" his art is moronic. It's a person's opinion, for better or worse. Art is there to be consumed, analyzed, critiqued, enjoyed or not.
I just think that there's no problem in assigning a review score the reflects your enjoyment of the piece.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
So I'm an aspiring/freelance games journalist and this is one of those things that scares me. If/hopefully when I find success, I worry that disagreeing with public consensus will lead to damaging my wellbeing. It's not going to deter me or anything, but I've held a few "against-the-grain" opinions about some beloved that I feel would have led to a huge dogpile if I was a larger voice.