• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
If only more people used this TR quote in which he takes a strong stance against listicles, which is definitely a more pertinent issue regarding online video game news websites.

TRlisticles.jpg

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
I fully agree here, Troy was a bit weird with that tweet.

Though the essence of irony is fucking Jim Sterling making a video about someone saying something is too long when his videos are always minutes longer than they need to be as he talks in circles.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Video game review culture is absolutely toxic. Saying people can't criticize games is ridiculous of course, but at the same time, review outlets KNOW how crazy people will go over their reviews for big games. Metacritic and numerical game scores need to be abolished. I fail to see any negatives to this. It would significantly diminish fanboy wars, and certainly many of the alarming reactions to reviewers including threats of harm and violence would be reduced. It would force people to actually read a review and put some thought into it.
And yet people strangely don't make half as big a deal about Movie, TV, and music scores on Metacritic as they do for games. Funny that.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
This seems to be very similar to me to the GoT situation where it was almost universally hated for the last season, and then the actors started saying the criticism is ridiculous, that many people put in many hours, and they deserve respect, etc.

Even Craig mazin, the guy who will hopefully put last of us on the map for many people with the series, said about Got last season that we should be lucky we got what we got, and criticism was not warranted.

I dont know if its this mioptic view of Neil and troy having been working on this game for 7 years and seeing the toil of many, thats all they see so any criticism to them seems like people taking a shit on 7 years worth of work, or if its a deliberate effort to change the conversation, sure it seems too long for some, but at least the game exists, and even if we fail, we fail doing something.

I mean, devs who take criticism this hard and personal cannot be just that sensitive, after decades in the gaming industry.

Jun 13, 2020
Jim is totally on point. That Troy Baker tweet and the Cory Barlog one are really bad. The Druckmann one was pretty mild and reasonable even though I agree the Shindler's List tweet he defended was laughable. I don't think it should be part of the conversation.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I honestly don't understand what the "he wasn't comparing TLOU2 to Schindler's List, he was comparing his emotional response to TLOU2 with Schindler's List" argument even means

Yeah, that what I assumed he meant? How does that make it less embarrassing of a tweet?

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't understand what the "he wasn't comparing TLOU2 to Schindler's List, he was comparing his emotional response to TLOU2 with Schindler's List" argument even means

Yeah, that what I assumed he meant? How does that make it less embarrassing of a tweet?
"He wasn't saying TLoU2 is as good as Schindler's List. He's saying that he got the same emotional reaction from both works."

Really? You did? Holy fucking shit.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That guy also said all games are John Wick or something, when there's only one game like that and it's not even out yet.

Jun 13, 2020

Honestly I'm more baffled by the "everything is John Wick" part. I can understand why one would pick Shiendler's List, as bad as that choice is. If he had picked No Country for Old Men for example, it would have been perfectly reasonable. But saying that every game outside of TLOU2 is exclusively trying to be about entertaining action, is a very ignorant take. It's like he's only played Destiny and Overwatch in his life.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
This a hundred times!
If people truly want games to be art, then they should be ready to handle the critique. If a game can openly display its flaws and accept them and still be considered great then that is better than just being showered with positive feedback!

Edit: Also critique is good for creators. You will never know what works and what doesn't if you do not listen to both negative and positive feedback
Yeah it's absolutely neccessary to be critical, it doesn't have to drop the score a ton but the negatives should always be highlighted so things can improve.

No game is perfect. Not even Best Game of All Time™ Zelda BOTW. And it's kinda ironic that it's always the laughed at user reviews, those people say we should just ignore, that brings up the negatives people can get really annoyed at, BOTW's weapon degrading and lack of dungeons for example. That rarely happens in the professional reviews.

If BOTW2 doesn't have as extreme weapon degrading, thank the "trolls" writing harsh user reviews, because it sure wasn't the 10/10 professional critics crowd that got Nintendo to change things.

(I love BOTW, just used it as an example)

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
"He wasn't saying TLoU2 is as good as Schindler's List. He's saying that he got the same emotional reaction from both works."

Really? You did? Holy fucking shit.
You see, originally I thought the tweet was a massive spoiler and the late game twist was that we weren't in post-apocalyptic Seattle but instead 1944 Poland the whole time. Thankfully he clarified that the game was not, in fact, literally Schindler's List but a game about fungus zombies.

Honestly I'm more baffled by the "everything is John Wick" part. I can understand why one would pick Shiendler's List, as bad as that choice is. If he had picked No Country for Old Men for example, it would have been perfectly reasonable. But saying that every game outside of TLOU2 is exclusively trying to be about entertaining action, is a very ignorant take. It's like he's only played Destiny and Overwatch in his life.
In a medium where every movie is Grand Theft Auto 3, Avenger's Endgame is finally Shadow of the Colossus

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of ironic to see Jim Sterling, who rails so hard against any notion of "bullying" within this industry go to such lengths to justify it being okay to attack someone because of a rough sounding comparison between a game and a film... and in the same video where he complains about how game journalists are treated by others in the industry no less.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
This argument is so bad imo. Critics (and anyone and everyone) should be allowed to express their opinions on games, in return people (including actors and developers) should be allowed to say if the criticism is uninformed and shallow. Critics are not some impartial authority to be placed on a pedestal where no one should question what they say.
I think it's less that creatives/V.A are unable to respond to criticism that they get, and more that they do so in a half assed and defensive way. First off, it's really weird for Troy Baker to have taken "games are too long" personally; it didn't call him or TLoU2 out by name, and as a criticism it doesn't have much to do with his involvement with the game. But if he had taken the time to write out his thought, even a line of it, I don't think this would've been an issue. But he didn't do that, he posted a strange, not very applicable quote by Roosevelt and called it a day.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of ironic to see Jim Sterling, who rails so hard against any notion of "bullying" within this industry go to such lengths to justify it being okay to attack someone because of a rough sounding comparison between a game and a film... and in the same video where he complains about how game journalists are treated by others in the industry no less.
Imagine thinking that anything Jim Sterling has said about this debacle so far could be justified as an attack.

Huxley

Feb 20, 2019
This all goes back into my belief that gamers don't really like the concept of games being considered art. Sure, they like the presumed glamor, pompisity, and maturity that comes with the label, but they absolutely abhor the responsibility that art has to be open to criticism from those who engage with it for the sake of adding to cultural discourse and pursuing gradual improvement of the medium as a whole. They want to have their cake and eat it too: enjoying the legal and social protections that more established art forms have without any of the messy criticism getting in the way of the fun. It doesn't of course help that gaming is inherently an identity (ugh!) at this point, and an attack on one's favorite games and companies is construed with an attack on the self, making it near impossible to approach critical darlings with any sort of thoughtfulness in critique.

You are certainly describing a type of "gamer" that is common to find online. It is human nature to seek acceptance / validation for something you are passionate about, especially when that thing has been historically stigmatized for many years (the "videogames are for nerds/losers/sociopaths" rhetoric).

A pitfall of making these sort of observations is that the word "gamers" is a trap. The definition of those-who-play-games encompasses a massive spectrum of demographics and values. Some players will value the characters and story aspects above all else, while others prefer gameplay to the point of skipping all cutscenes.

So when you see discourse online there is always going to be this clash of ideals about what values are most important. This battleground is especially fierce around AAA games as they tend to attract a broader audience. Sequels exacerbate this because of built-in expectations - everyone thinks their particular brand of fandom is the one that should be catered to above all else!

Critique is most useful when the reader understands the author's values and respects them. Established critics with built-in audiences will fall into the habit of communicating in short-hand, trusting their readership to understand their full intentions. However on the Internet, and Twitter especially, this practice leads to otherwise innocuous thoughts becoming misconstrued by those unfamiliar with the critic's voice.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine thinking that anything Jim Sterling has said about this debacle so far could be justified as an attack.

I never said it was him doing the attacking... just that he didn't seem to have a problem with others doing so. Indeed, he actually seems to have a serious issue with at least one person trying to defend the guy in fact.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
A symptom of one of the many things plaguing the industry. Press are seen in terms of how useful they are as an extension of a company's PR. If that's threatened, journalists/outlets are blacklisted or pressured--even implicitly due to the power dynamics at play--to revisit or reconsider their reviews. (And let's not get into the volunteer arm of PR fueled by tribalism.)

It's hypocritical to want your product to be seen as something that elevates the medium as a piece of art while dissuading any critique that is deemed an obstacle to maximizing its commercial potential. You can't have it both ways.

Jun 13, 2020
He didn't attack that journalist. He just made fun of a laughable tweet.

Oct 25, 2017
This all goes back into my belief that gamers don't really like the concept of games being considered art. Sure, they like the presumed glamor, pompisity, and maturity that comes with the label, but they absolutely abhor the responsibility that art has to be open to criticism from those who engage with it for the sake of adding to cultural discourse and pursuing gradual improvement of the medium as a whole. They want to have their cake and eat it too: enjoying the legal and social protections that more established art forms have without any of the messy criticism getting in the way of the fun. It doesn't of course help that gaming is inherently an identity (ugh!) at this point, and an attack on one's favorite games and companies is construed with an attack on the self, making it near impossible to approach critical darlings with any sort of thoughtfulness in critique.

It's exhausting. So is this habit of comparing games to works that have a greater social relevance and importance. News flash: they're fucking video games, even if they make you have a sad sometimes or include LGBTQA+ characters and staff. One day I sincerely believe we will get a video game that in itself stands as a testament to human creativity and artistic passion, a masterpiece that film directors will look at for legitimate inspiration outside of video game-inspired works, but that will be self-evident in the way the wider culture beyond the purview of gaming culture receives the work, not forced out by melodramatic statements of importance from game critics and fans. Throwing out Schindler's List in any comparative way to a damn zombie video game by Naughty Dog raises the question of who are you trying to convince?

When you only view video games as a product and not a piece of art, you're going to look at a 90+ Metacritic score and think it reflects some objective, undeniable quality about that game.

And because of that, you won't sincerely engage with good faith dissenting opinions.

And because you won't sincerely engage with opinions that don't fall in line with the consensus, you can't have discourse about the game, or games in general.

Things are just either good or bad, and no one is allowed to have opinions.

People want to compare their latest critically acclaimed game to respected works of art in cinema, music, or literature, but those mediums have (mostly) healthy discourse that elevates them to a level of cultural relevance video games may never achieve because as a medium, it's completely hamstrung by the culture that surrounds it.

100% agree with these posts. People don't want to engage in legitimate discourse surrounding games and simply take criticism as you attacking their favorite game. It's so laughable that we have gamers losing their minds each time TLoU2 drops a single Metacritic point as if a 94 score actually means it's "factually" better than a 93 scored game. Its even gone further than that with people counting the places it drops on the metacritic all time list even when it retains the same aggregate metascore lol

If a reviewer gives the game an 8 or god forbid a 7, there'll be a horde of users coming to defend the game and try to diminish the credibility of the reviewer. It's simply pathetic how invested gamers are in scores.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If games want to be treated as 'art' and elevated to that sort of status, then they need criticism and shouldn't shy away from it. I don't think relying on a 1-10 rating scale really helps either, but that might be going beyond the scope of this.

Infcabbage

Oct 28, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I never said it was him doing the attacking... just that he didn't seem to have a problem with others doing so. Indeed, he actually seems to have a serious issue with at least one person trying to defend the guy in fact.
I wouldn't exactly say pointing out that maybe you shouldn't be comparing your AAA zombie video games to media about the holocaust of all things, being a bad take is "attacking". It's more of a "hey, maybe don't do that, it's pretty disrespectful" type of comment.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He attacks constantly and he's also guilty of doing what he complains about. It's why Jim sterling is one person, people should take with a grain of salt.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The entire Jason argument started with a guy comparing the emotional impact he had with story with Scinder list , to whom Jason attacked, Neil stepped in since he felt he is Jew as well and maybe thought telling Jason that the Jeff didnt intent that way

and then the argument started

I dont think this incident relates to how dare you criticize the game
...this video isn't about that.

It's about how Jason Schreier tweeted that "video games are too long", and Troy Baker posted a freaking Roosevelt quote in response, in an attempt to shut down criticism.

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If games want to be considered as 'art' then people should be able to critique them and let the art speak for itself.
That said, I rate the Mona Lisa a 7/10.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I missed the tweet by the VA using TR's quote about something completely different to attack a journalist for making a slight criticism of a game is beyond the pale. Like literal crazy, cult level.

I feel like the behavior of the creatives attached to the game has been completely out of hand. I get they are proud of the game, but they can't seem to handle criticism because in their head, they are making Schindler's List when in reality the game is another John Wick.

Astraea

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Wow, I never knew how much of a fragile baby Troy Baker was. That's pretty disappointing.

Saw this posted, and some claim said review was a parody review incorrectly added to the meta, while others claim it's the legit review?
If he wants it gone just because it's negative it hurts the metascore, then goddamn, zero respect for Troy.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If the point of Troy's response was to say that Jason is unqualified to critique video games because he's not a developer, then it also holds true that Troy is unqualified to critique game journalism because he's not a journalist.

There's also the discourse to be had on someone attacking someone else for not having the same glowing positive opinion of something. "How dare you not like TLOU2" is a very real thing.

Most of the criticism has been on bad faith. It's pretty telling that this is probably the only place where you can discuss the game without the vitriol and bigotry shown everywhere else, camouflaged with the "lazy writing" or other made up arguments. Jason isn't a saint either with how he mocked that reviewer that compared his emotional response to the game to his emotional response to Schindler's list.

Troy is clearly wrong here, but the whole atmosphere around has been so trashy that it's not surprising to me that the actors and devs are overly sensitive regarding the game. Hell they are probably bothered 24/7 by deranged fuckers, most of them finding approval on gaming critics stirring the pot for fun.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
Is now really the time to rile up the community even more against TLOU2 staff ?

Seems pretty damn tone deaf considering the amount of "criticism" flung at the game.

Does Jim ever critique the community aspect of video games?

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Most of the criticism has been on bad faith. It's pretty telling that this is probably the only place where you can discuss the game without the vitriol and bigotry shown everywhere else, camouflaged with the "lazy writing" or other made up arguments. Jason isn't a saint either with how he mocked that reviewer that compared his emotional response to the game to his emotional response to Schindler's list.

Troy is clearly wrong here, but the whole atmosphere around has been so trashy that it's not surprising to me that the actors and devs are overly sensitive regarding the game. Hell they are probably bothered 24/7 by deranged fuckers, most of them finding approval on gaming critics stirring the pot for fun.
All Jason did was say his emotional response to the audio logs in Bioshock was approximately equivalent to his emotional response to the Diary of Anne Frank. What's wrong with that?

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are more things you can do before mocking, maybe telling the guy why he shouldnt compare

Is it not self evident why you shouldn't compare a video games to a movie about how 6 million plus Jewish and other people were murdered? Do you REALLY need to be told why that comparison doesn't work?

And for what its worth, he didn't mock them IMO. He called it out very eloquently.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
If your emotional response to TLOU2 is the same as a movie about the holocaust...

you deserve to be mocked.

It was meant to illustrate how the reviewer felt about the game.

It is no way shape or form suggesting that TLoU2's fiction is as important as events of the holocaust.

Druckmann himself(he is jewish) understood this.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If your emotional response to TLOU2 is the same as a movie about the holocaust...

And if someone mocks one reviewer's emotional reaction to something while criticizing others for being unable to handle a reviewer's opinion, they deserve to be called a hypocrite.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

wait what?

are we seriously policing emotions now? there are plenty of themes in TLOU2 that might elicit emotions similar to what you might experienced in Schindler's List. I only watched the first VHS or first half of the movie, and i had several emotions.. shock, disgust, horror, sadness, helplessness, empathy, and anger. i experienced many of those in my playthrough of tlou2.

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it not self evident why you shouldn't compare a video games to a movie about how 6 million plus Jewish and other people were murdered? Do you REALLY need to be told why that comparison doesn't work?

And for what its worth, he didn't mock them IMO. He called it out very eloquently.

He is no way comparing both the thing.

It's the way he felt while playing this game Vs other games

The difference in playing tlou 2 with any other video game is like the difference in watching scinder list Vs John Wick for him

That's what his tweet meant

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And if someone mocks one reviewer's emotional reaction to something while criticizing others for being unable to handle a reviewer's opinion, they deserve to be called a hypocrite.

Telling someone they shouldn't compare a video games to a movie about the holocaust is not even in the same plain of existence as telling someone that they should be able to handle criticism of their game.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018

The difference in playing tlou 2 with any other video game is like the difference in watching scinder list Vs scinder list for him

Precisely.

This was more of an analogy to compare the game to its peers in the medium.

It is not a comparison between zombies and holocaust.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
It was meant to illustrate how the reviewer felt about the game.

It is no way shape or form suggesting that TLoU2's fiction is as important as events of the holocaust.

Druckmann himself(he is jewish) understood this.
Druckmann is so brave, standing up for the right of reviewers to compare his works to Schindler's List

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018

"The Last of Us Part 2 is Schindler's List" might just be the most insane thing I've ever read on the Internet. And that includes Trump. Bravo.

Also, Baker has gotten so far up his own ass now it's ridiculous. Nolan and Retro Replay are better off without him.

Thank God for Jim.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

My favorite is when people try to separate out the content and historical material of the movie from the tweet to defend it. "He never said the holocaust youre making things up!!!!"

The difference in playing tlou 2 with any other video game is like the difference in watching scinder list Vs John Wick for him

This isn't making the tweet better no matter how many threads you come in to say this in. Don't compare your zombie video game to a movie based on one of the most horrific acts of violence in recorded history. Its not a hard concept to grasp and you can compare how poignant part 2 was for you without having to resort to this.

Still missing the point.