• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just marathoned this entire manga in a single night...it's only about two years in at 100 chapters but I'm calling it now, this manga is going to be the next "big" thing among more discerning shonen readers. The anime is starting in October, and to be honest I'm not sure how it'll turn out, but I'd say get on the manga NOW.

The weird thing is this manga kind of fails the first three chapters test. It's got a pretty misleading beginning that seems like it's going to be nothing special. And it's yet another manga about fighting evil spirits and exorcism, which is like the big thing for Shonen Jump. And there's a special school for training the exorcists.

The main character is your super strong normal human who fights cursed spirits, and he decides to borrow the power of the biggest baddest spirit to become a hero. He's got the spirit inside of him and they seem to have a silly love/hate relationship, so, oh, he and the bad spirits are gonna find common ground.

You got the more experienced guy who is a bit of a loner, and you go, oh he's the rival character. And rounding that out you're introduced to the female lead, who doesn't seem all that interesting. Of course there's a quirky mentor leading them...he's even got his face obscured.

The first like arc is pretty bare bones. There's a neat little twist at first, but it's kind of abrubt and actually I think works in the series detriment. It's a lot like Hunter x Hunter in that sometimes the twists are cool, but sometimes they just seem too abrubt and mess with the pace.

But then this one arc hits that's basically Shonen Jump Presents a Very Special Episode: School Shooting, and, wow, the series really hits its stride. Cool characters start popping up, the battles get interesting, the main character via somewhat sidelined for the time being to flesh out everyone else, and overall it's like, okay, this manga goes hard.

The fighting at first seemed pretty generic, though I liked how the main character was drawn fighting, but then it goes full on Nen with a large array of varied and interesting powers bound together by lots of complex and interesting, though sometimes a bit too complex, rules. You have stuff like summoning "domains" that ensure your attacks always hit, or explaining/setting your limits improves your abilities.

The art is also pretty interesting. The human characters are kind of basic looking for the most part, they all have sort of a rough draft feel to them, but then you have some stomach-churning monster designs and some pretty brutal scenes that make you remember being a kid watching subbed anime and going "whoa Japanese kids get all the violent scenes".

That aside, the morality also seems more sophisticated than the usual Shonen fare. Characters aren't spared from their actions, people die en masse, etc. There's a sense of grey and grey morality being built up throughout, and I imagine the series is going to get darker from here on out.

And oh, the humor is alright! It doesn't insert too many gag moments in serious scenes, there's really no perverted gag character whatsoever introduced yet (at most you get characters declaring they like tall, big butt girls like Jennifer Lawrence), and the female characters are pretty much on the same level as the males. There's actually like no romance angle whatsoever, and the Blechdel test has been passed.

It's only two years in and basically on the first big arc, but if it keeps up this trajectory and if the anime adaptation is solid, I can see it being big among fans. Probably won't be that marketable though due to its darker tone, but a cult classic for sure.

Expect everyone to be talking about SATORU GOJO in a few months.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I like the series a good deal, but I wouldn't say it's the next Hunter x Hunter

The fights and power system are pretty neat though

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, no, but it is very damned good. Features teenagers acting like actual teenagers, solid art (though it could benefit hugely from a good adaptation), fun as hell worldbuilding, and the battles are dope.

Agreed on Satoru Gojo being excellent, but I want to give a quick shoutout to that female lead you mentioned for being a genuinely cool character.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Huh. Looking forward to seeing the anime in Oct. Sounds like it's up my alley.

How are the manga sales?

Order

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's a bold claim

I just caught up to Chainsaw Man so I might as well add another to the list

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why would you compare jujutsu kaisen to an inferior product?

Well your opinion of Hunter x Hunter aside I feel it hits the similar notes of having an unorthodox plot structure for Shonen, a sophisticated power system that involves an equal amount of strategy as pure power, morality that's a bit deeper and greyer than Shonen, characters get killed off for real frequently and unceremoniously, and lots of violence.

I do think it improves upon Hunter in a lot of ways. For one unlike Hunter x Hunter which I felt was too chaotic changing its focus so far everything in Jujutsu has been tied to a single villain goal, and the main concept of the Jujutsu Users is far more concrete than the idea of Hunters which kind of just meant "whatever the author felt like".

Also Itadori is more interesting than Gon from the get go. The latter is kind of a weak character till the infamous moment in the Chimera Arc.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
I basically expect shit with action shonen to start off meh but goddang why does it always gotta start off meh

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I basically expect shit with action shonen to start off meh but goddang why does it always gotta start off meh
I don't think I would've kept going if not for the fact the monsters were drawn in a cool enough way I wanted to see more of them.

And then we get the first scene of mutated humans and I'm like đź‘€. Incidentally that's when the first "yoooo shit!" arc happens.

3/7 ratio man. Three to seven ratio!

Feb 1, 2018
Texas
We're extremely lucky that this and Chainsaw Man are running together. (As well as My Hero Academia and One Piece, etc.)

This is the best Weekly Shonen Jump has been in years.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As much as I love this for being unorthodox Shonen I still enjoy Black Clover a lot for kind of being a nice palette cleanser when you want something more traditional.

I haven't checked out Chainsaw Man. I was trying out Demon Slayer but...uh is this a situation where the anime is better than the manga? This is pretty weak so far.

RealTravisty

Mar 29, 2018
I agree. Comparing it to Hunter x Hunter is perfect.

With Viz picking it up, unlike Act-Age, I had zero idea what was going on. Even now, I still have no idea how to navigate this series. The battles are incredibly confusing, and the system makes no sense to me. A lot like what's going on with Hunter x Hunter nowadays, but with much less text.

Jun 22, 2019
Satoru Gojo is gonna become material for so many memes if this series gets popular.

Jujutsu Kaisen and Chainsaw Man are the two SJ VIPs in the current time, I'd recommend both highly. Both also don't start very strong (same as Hunter x Hunter). Chainsaw Man sets itself apart much quicker but also feels like it will be filled with yikes at the start, but for the most part pulls off a tight rope act where nudity and what would typically be considered ecchi crap in most other shounen actually feels like it belongs and serves a purpose (outside of chapter covers where it's just titillation for the purpose of titillation).

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I've heard alot about this OP. Been wanting to check it out. I just know once I start I'm going to binge hard.

You're setting expectations real high.

But alright. Guess I can give it a go if its better than one of the best manga's I've ever read.

I haven't checked out Chainsaw Man. I was trying out Demon Slayer but...uh is this a situation where the anime is better than the manga? This is pretty weak so far.

Demon Slayer isn't that good. The animation of the show and artwork in both the manga/anime is lovely however.

But its not top tier.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's good but the latest arc has been a drag. Thank god it's picking up again
That's my biggest fear now that I've read through all of it.

At this point I think I'll honestly let the chapters accumulate and pick it back up in a year. Check out the anime and pick up the manga again when the anime gets about to this part...it's been YEARS since there's been a shonen anime I jumped on because I liked the manga.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
From what I've seen of Chainsaw Man sometimes I wonder how Japanese kids get to read shit this intense.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wait is that true?

I always assumed like Gintama told me the reality was SJ had all these hardass series but it was still seen as childish to read it.

So...if I went to Japan and read Jump I'd be perfectlt normal?

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
That's my biggest fear now that I've read through all of it.

At this point I think I'll honestly let the chapters accumulate and pick it back up in a year. Check out the anime and pick up the manga again when the anime gets about to this part...it's been YEARS since there's been a shonen anime I jumped on because I liked the manga.
Some weeks are better then others. Thankfully things are picking up again after the last fight wrapped up.

Feb 1, 2018
Texas
Wait is that true?

I always assumed like Gintama told me the reality was SJ had all these hardass series but it was still seen as childish to read it.

So...if I went to Japan and read Jump I'd be perfectlt normal?
www.animenewsnetwork.com

Shueisha Reveals 2019 Circulation Numbers for Manga Magazines

Average print circulation for Weekly Shonen Jump in 2018 was 1.64 million

The guide did not list the gender demographics for its Weekly Shonen Jump magazine, but did list a breakdown by age. 27.4% of readers are 25 years old or older, 25.8% are 19-24 years old, 17.6% are 16-18 years old, 16.4% are 13-15 years old, 9.6% are 10-12 years old, and 3.2% are nine years old or younger.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely enjoy it but the art can get pretty rough and hard to parse during action scenes.

I really hope the anime is good, it definitely could be pretty popular with a good adaptation. Here's hoping!

Oct 27, 2017
ShinyFalseFinwhale-max-1mb.gif

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was trying out Demon Slayer but...uh is this a situation where the anime is better than the manga?

Absolutely, due to the animation quality being god tier, because Ufotable is just that good. Whereas with the manga the attacks and fancy moves all kind of just blend together. That said, KnY content wise is not what I'd describe as being top tier, it's a very standard series, so the flashiness of the anime may not necessarily make up for it.

I haven't checked out Chainsaw Man.

You definitely need to fix this, Top 3 series in SJ easily

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I signed up for a membership at the Shonen Jump site.. is this just because I'm in the trial period or do they really limit you to a certain number of chapters a day?

"Thank you for being a Shonen Jump member! Read up to 100 chapters every day from the Shonen Jump digital vault of 10,000+ manga chapters!"​
I doubt I'd read more than that very often but that seems surprising to me.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I signed up for a membership at the Shonen Jump site.. is this just because I'm in the trial period or do they really limit you to a certain number of chapters a day?

"Thank you for being a Shonen Jump member! Read up to 100 chapters every day from the Shonen Jump digital vault of 10,000+ manga chapters!"​
I doubt I'd read more than that very often but that seems surprising to me.

Nope, it's always 100 max per day. It's really dumb

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
My feeling reading it was less Hunter X Hunter and more "Bleach but the crazy powers from the late series start appearing well before chapter 100". Which I think is a good thing, because that means it's actually baked into the series rather then having to watch characters not at all designed for that kind of combat having to deal with enemies like that.

I actually haven't read anything from before Shonen Jump went free, during the fight with that tree demon, but I've been really digging it.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I stopped reading it for a bit since the Shibuya (I think?) station arc was kinda boring, but I loved it. Just wanted to fall behind a bit to binge it. Might be time to jump back in.

I highly recommend chainsaw man too, it's great stuff. Not what I'd expect from jump but much needed imo.

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
I read until like a 1/3 of it, I got a bit bored of the settings the battles took place in and the small cast of characters (also barely understanding the power sets cause they aren't well explained), did any of that improve?

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Weird. It seems like a strange limitation, but the price is super cheap so I suppose it's hard to complain too much. Just would be a shame to get really invested in a series and you're plowing through it for hours to then hit a wall.

My friend has had that issue several times now lol

I guess they're afraid that some speed demon would read a bunch of stuff for almost nothing, thereby making out like a bandit despite the subscription cost already being super cheap

Or maybe they're just weird.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I tried to start it last year sometime but at that point the SJ app only had the first like 5 chapters and the most current ones. Appears it now has them all so it's back on my read list.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When you hit your SJ chapter limit right on a Black Clover panel that says to surpass your limit. đź‘€

TiC

Banned
Jul 12, 2019
I'm someone who doesn't really enjoy Hunter x Hunter (I get why it's so acclaimed, but its themes feel too cynical for me), but I absolutely adore Jujutsu Kaisen.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
HxH comparison is definitely one way to my attention.

Disagree with the comments about Gon tho, thought he was p interesting from the start

Jun 22, 2019
Disagree with the comments about Gon tho, thought he was p interesting from the start

The Kite stuff and certain things Gon said to Mito in the first chapter just barely set him apart from being too generic, but the new anime omitted all of that and ruined early Gon.

(I still think HxH was bleh until the final phase of the exam though.)

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
The Kite stuff and certain things Gon said to Mito in the first chapter just barely set him apart from being too generic, but the new anime omitted all of that and ruined early Gon.

(I still think HxH was bleh until the final phase of the exam though.)

Same I dont care for that arc too much. Still thought Gon was good tho. Not to mention that Gon and Killua broship.

His weird morality being sprinkled and built up throughout the arcs prior to CA arc makes the CA stuff all the more better imo.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
He's definitely read HxH and is influenced by it, but can't leave out the YYH influence as well.

JZ0rRIy.png

x5LjjAe.png

And just a fan in general.

rT0Xsrr.png

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
It's weird that the Viz Shonen Jump website doesn't reflect that you've read something.. and that the app doesn't let you favorite stuff whereas the Jump Plus one does. What a mess honestly, lol. Oh well, definitely will check this series out now!