• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
The game was released at the start of the pandemic and I'm guessing it's been impacted by supply chain issues and a lack of demand for a reprint. The new Sakura Wars on PS4 is in a similar situation, but not as expensive.

yeah, that makes sense. it's usually pretty rare for a new game to become that scarce that fast. on the upside, it's available digitally, which is a great option to have.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Sakura Wars actually got a price drop to $40 for physical copy at multiple stores/site. NISA has has not been printing enough copies for a while now.

You're right, SW did see a price drop to likely clear out stock. It doesn't appear to have been be reprinted, since Amazon only has third party copies for above MSRP. I forgot to grab it when it hit $40 and am now kicking myself. Same with DR4.

Funny that Sega hasn't made more copies, since I'm still getting promoted ads for it on my FB and IG feeds.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really bummed by the fact that you get basically no options to customize your controls and both of the available schemes are either bad or uncomfortable.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You're right, SW did see a price drop to likely clear out stock. It doesn't appear to have been be reprinted, since Amazon only has third party copies for above MSRP. I forgot to grab it when it hit $40 and am now kicking myself. Same with DR4.

Funny that Sega hasn't made more copies, since I'm still getting promoted ads for it on my FB and IG feeds.
Sakura Wars is $40 at Best Buy right now and still in stock at Gamestop and Target. It is only an Amazon issue and really no reason to print more copies. DR4 sold at best buy online in less than a month.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
It's been real nice getting to go through this series over the last bunch of months. Debating checking out the third title after City Shrouded in Shadow.
But yeah, I'm really excited to start City Shrouded in Shadow. The premise alone is enough to sell me on that one and everyone seems to love it.
Not my favorite in the series but 3 is well worth playing if you go in with the right expectations. The scope and gameplay aren't as impressive as in Raw Danger, but it's still well-made for a PSP game. People also praise 3 for its story, the game feels like a step in the direction that 4 took.

I also played them all back to back when I got into the series and didn't feel that it took away from the freshness of the experience. The games are all rather short and each entry has enough unique ideas that they kept me hooked throughout. So don't worry about burning out on the series like e.g. playing Yakuza games back to back.

City Shrouded in Shadow has been on my pile of shame for a while now, same with Disaster Day of Crisis. Think I'll check out CSiS soon as well.

OP
OP
CannonFodder52
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Not my favorite in the series but 3 is well worth playing if you go in with the right expectations. The scope and gameplay aren't as impressive as in Raw Danger, but it's still well-made for a PSP game. People also praise 3 for its story, the game feels like a step in the direction that 4 took.

I also played them all back to back when I got into the series and didn't feel that it took away from the freshness of the experience. The games are all rather short and each entry has enough unique ideas that they kept me hooked throughout. So don't worry about burning out on the series like e.g. playing Yakuza games back to back.l.
It's interesting that they seemed to progressively move away from that first game with it's action focus and negligible side story interaction all the way to DR4.
I don't miss the rpg enemies of the first game (although they were pretty hilarious), but I do think it would interesting if a 5th entry was made to move back to a more balanced middle ground like in Raw Danger. Though I presume the action direction is probably far more budget intensive nowadays.

Also, yeah the games are brief enough that it's hard to feel burnt out. Pretty curious about the Monolith Soft disaster game as well.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
It's a broken jank fest of a game, but it's also fun and endearing. Very glad I grabbed a copy last time I was in Japan.
You weren't lying, haha. Finally played City Shrouded in Shadows over the weekend and you summed it up well.

It felt like a more ambitious Simple 2000 game with better graphics and much bigger IP attached. Like one of those budget titles, the idea of the game is better than actually playing the game but you can still have a ton of fun with it. I think you'll get the most out of CSiS if you're a big Kaiju, Ultraman and Anime fan (particularly Evangelion and Pat Labor).

CSiS It's buggier and the gameplay is more trial-and-error than DR4 since it relies heavily on QTEs and the action takes place in the middle of monster attacks instead of their aftermath. Load times are short enough that it's not a big issue but there are sections that can test your patience. The camera can be hectic at times and it often jumps between 1st and 3rd person in cramped spaces.

The game is broken up into 17 very short chapters that focus on one monster scene and location. You mostly run away and dodge out of the way with timing-based button presses. There are also slower sections that break up the action where you have to figure out the combination to a keypad or play cupid for a lovestruck vice-captain. And then there's a generous amount of short vehicle sections that constantly switch things up.

I was surprised how much of a DR game CSiS actually is. It opens the same way as DR4 where you pick your gender and are asked a couple of questions that determine your character's backstory and their relationship with Yuki, the main companion character.

I loved CSiS's sense of humor. The game is intentionally funny. It knows you're here for the B-movie flair and plays it up. The story doesn't make a lick of sense for most of the game but a reveal during the end credits kinda explains all your lingering questions.

Like in the DR games, there's always one funny/ goofy/ stupid/ aggressive dialogue option that will lead to confused or angry responses. 8/10 times, I went with the goofiest outfit and the dumbest dialogue choice available and I have no regrets. There are silly sound effects like cheering when you level up your stats, shameless Go Go Curry product placement or in-game advertising for Granzella, their own game studio that they also make fun of. It's hilarious how some people are maybe slightly flustered by the giant Eva Unit fighting a huge Angel a couple of meters away from them but still continue to go on with their business as usual.

The 17 chapters are very short, I think I would have preferred fewer but more fleshed-out episodes. The game is pretty linear but exploring during quieter scenes will often be rewarded with coins (used to level up stats, buy outfits & haircuts during chapters), items or even small cameos with characters from previous DR games. Talk to everyone with a green speech bubble, those conversations lead to sidequests or collectibles. I think it took me 8-10h to finish the game and I did a good amount of exploring.

Overall, I preferred DR4 but still had a good time with CSiS. I think it's worth playing for DR fans, especially if you're also into the other guest IP.

Last edited:

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
I reviewed it when it came out. Most of my thoughts are at https://www.darkstation.com/reviews/disaster-report-4-summer-memories-review but in short, I thought the game was incredibly repetitive with poor performance, but I also thought the atmosphere was outstanding and I liked that the game design seemed to understand its faults and design interesting new scenarios consistently. There was no point in the game where I didn't want to keep playing it until the end. Its worth a look if you know what you're getting into for sure.

SonicBoom

Mar 23, 2020
Last edited: