• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
I liked this more than Miles Morales, not that Spider-Man was bad, far from it. This was just that good!

Tony

Oct 27, 2017
How does the gameplay/Dualsense suport in Sackboy compare to this? I know a lot of AstroBot's appeal is in the Playstation nostalgia bombs, but I was thinking of maybe picking up Sackboy if it plays similarly and has good DualSense support.

Tony

Oct 27, 2017
I think the ball sections were my favorite. The trick for me was to let go of the controller on my right hand. Just hold it with your left and use your right pointer finger across the track pad. Worked great and so much fun.
This is what I did as well and had a much better time with it that way. My hands aren't small by any means but it wasn't comfortable using my thumb for these bits.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
Yeah - this game is good, real good. Reminds me of a 3D Mario game. I honestly am enjoying Astro more than I did Mario Odyssey. I'll get the plat for sure.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Got the platinum yesterday. What a wonderful experience. A nice nostalgia trip through the history of PlayStation. The number of references crammed into the levels was crazy. Pretty fun to actually play too.

OP
OP
tr00per

tr00per

Nov 4, 2017
The trick for me was to let go of the controller on my right hand. Just hold it with your left and use your right pointer finger across the track pad. Worked great and so much fun.
This. Not to mention that you have better control that way. Or at least scoot your hands up on the controller.

I had a friend try this game yesterday (not much of a platformer guy, more of an FPS type) and I thought he'd be most impressed by the minigun segment, but he enjoyed the springy-frog guy (does he have a name?) and the playstation labo the most.

Also, interesting things happen when you punch/jump on stuff that I didn't see until someone else played it (as I wouldn't think to punch friendlies haha). I love when developers account for different play styles like this.
The London Heist was great for this, too

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was an absolute joy to play and experience, I pretty much had a huge smile on my face from beginning to end.

I can't wait for Astro's next journey.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
this is some platforming gold. right up there with nintendo's best, which is high praise. great love letter to the playstation and a fantastic showcase for what the dual sense is capable of doing.

lazerface

Banned
Feb 23, 2020
this is some platforming gold. right up there with nintendo's best, which is high praise. great love letter to the playstation and a fantastic showcase for what the dual sense is capable of doing.
100%! Just platinumed this game and enjoyed every second! We need a full fledged non VR Astro Bot game ASAP!!!

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
I want a full fledged astro game so bad now. This game was just pure enjoyment from beginning to end. Currently working on getting the platinum and I'm having such a blast.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
I think the ball sections were my favorite. The trick for me was to let go of the controller on my right hand. Just hold it with your left and use your right pointer finger across the track pad. Worked great and so much fun.
Yeah, the index finger method is far superior to using the thumb.

Also keep in mind you can bring Astro to a quick stop by pressing the touchpad. That one escaped me for a while.

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's a great taster and a solid fun little game, but it's not exactly mind blowingly great or anything. It's pretty lackluster in the challenge area, the ball part is really not that fun and I was done with the whole "blow into the mic to power a fan" gimmick after Rub Rabbits in 2004 just to name a few things I didn't like with Astro. I really enjoyed the collecting bits and the nods to older games though.

Edit: And I really really want a full fat experience, don't get me wrong!

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017
Super fun and really creative design. I wouldn't say it's on the level of the true great platformers, it's really easy and Astro's moveset is super limited and doesn't allow for creative experimentation like you'd have with some of the best Mario games, but like.... it's a pack in and is super fun and engaging for it's full (short) length.

The trigger support is really really really impressive

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Underrated take. This game is actually longer than PS1 games like Jumping Flash or some of the older Klonoa titles. Took me ~3 hours to beat it and close to 6 for the platinum. That's without me looking for all the easter eggs or getting too deep in the speedrunning mode (I'm top 300 right now on the first one but I'm trying to break that 100 😂 ).

I'd easily pay $40 for this. I got so much joy out of this game.

Thanks! I felt immensely satisfied with the experience, and I did end up getting the Platinum after all lol! I do have the DLC trophy left for the speed run mode, but the base game Platinum has been achieved.

Such an awesome game. I love it to death, and it's so funny how immediately upon booting the game, you're hit with Dual Sense feedback. It really sticks out to me after coming from another game that doesn't do nearly as much with it. I just want more and more games to utilize the haptic feedback and triggers as well as Astro does.

Also, I've had the GPU Jungle song in my had for a day straight now. It's driving me crazy XD XD it's just so damn catchy

How does the gameplay/Dualsense suport in Sackboy compare to this? I know a lot of AstroBot's appeal is in the Playstation nostalgia bombs, but I was thinking of maybe picking up Sackboy if it plays similarly and has good DualSense support.

They're very different games, but have some similarities in small ways (like using the grab mechanic to pull at items in the world, or enemies). Personally, Sackboy is fantastic too. The first two levels are okay, but then it really blows up and comes into its own in later levels.

Visually, Sackboy is gorgeous, the music is also just as excellent, if not moreso, than Astro. The haptic feedback isn't on the same level. There's definitely some texture feedback in some parts, but it's not a constant assault (and I mean that in the best way), like in Astro. It feels good, though, and is such a wonderful platformer as well. I love it.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
I really hope Team Asobi gets the time and budget to make a larger game.

Outside of EPD Tokyo, theyre one of the few teams that can make me smile so much.

Don't sleep on Astro Bot Rescue Mission either yall.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
I platinumed this game and it was the best game since Wii Sports to show me how dope my new system is. The raindrops were incredible. I haven't been this hyped for rumble since n64

Jonboy

Oct 30, 2017
My son and I are having an absolute blast with it. It's been so fun teaching him the history of PlayStation and sharing my stories with each console as we unlock the artifacts.

And I can't believe the Dualsense actually lives up to the hype. I never expected to be this blown away by a controller. It's not quite at the Wii-level of "omg everyone should try this!" but it's close. I even called my wife over - who isn't a gamer - to try out the triggers with Astro. Certainly won't have the mass market appeal like Wii did, but for anyone who's played on controllers for years, you really do have to experience it.

Let me add my voice to those who would love to see this team get a shot at making a full-fledged sequel.

Oct 27, 2017
I got the Sony preorder but offered it to a friend so when he came over to pick it up, we booted that up and we were both nostalgia-ing hard at all of the references.

Honestly, I sold my PS5 to him because I figured I can wait with my backlog and other priorities....
But the controller and this little gem! Sad to see it packed up and taken away lol.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
They have the potential to easily make a GOTG platformer in 2-3 years to formulate it to something big and memorable. On top of that they can push the visuals as well, which already look clean as fuck at 4K, 60 FPS. I haven't even played their VR game, but I think they should do one Non-VR and one VR title for this gen. Make them big and expansive.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
All these character/game references make me so hungry for a PlayStation All Stars successor with this roster and level of polish.

There's an undeniable history here that wouldn't be so scoffed at if not treated like a C-tier project.

I watched a playthrough, it was fun.

You miss out on a lot without the controller's features. Particularly the new tricks they pull with the vibration and triggers. You can read all about it, but there's no real substitute for experiencing it yourself.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno ya'll, I think Astro's Playroom is great but I think the pendulum has swung the other way and it's starting to be a bit overhyped now.

I personally am finding Sackboy just as charming if not more. I can't believe that game scored in the 70s on Metacritic. Feels like a legit 9/10 game to me so far.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
Excited to play another game by this team that isn't a PlayStation corporate worship explosion lol. Very well made and fun, thoroughly enjoyed it.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very impressed with the haptic feedback on Sackboy, especially after having gone back to try the game on PS4 to compare. They put a lot of effort in. In the time I've played, adaptive triggers haven't been used much except a little resistance when you grab stuff. But the haptic feedback is very nice.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
Just adding to the chorus of people SUPER impressed with the whole experience + the controller.

It's like.... the pefect back-in game.

As a "platformer" it's quite light on gameplay but I'd love to see these concepts and this experience expanded into a full game.

Aug 23, 2020
This is the most next gen title I've seen so far.
The way you can boot directly into any level. The integration between leaderboards and notifications. Absolutely stellar game with a real attention to detail.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Got the better platinum last night. I hope we get a Rescue Mission 2 for PSVR2. Really great series.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
I got the platinum for this. My first ever since I normally don't aggressively achievement/trophy hunt. It's a little easy to do, but it felt pretty satisfying! It's a nice little game with some beautiful throwbacks to some awesome PS history.

RNK

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Enjoyed it. Amazing creativity. But those rocket sections can fuck right off.

LoadRunner

Sep 19, 2020
I slept on it for a day and now I don't want to get that Platinum because I don't want it to end! I'm saving some for the wife to witness, lol.

Amazing game that feels truly next gen, but a FREE short and sweet game has to hit, right? I wonder what price point this game would have to be at for people to complain about its length? Amazing showcase and this and Demon's Souls is the circle of life.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Got the Platinum last night. Amazing game and one of the best pack-ins I've ever played. Bring on a non-VR full game!