• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
The final boss in this game made me laugh. What a pleasant little surprise that was.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I still boot it up to play with the rain levels. So good.

I want a detective noir game with these sorta haptics. I want to experience rain hitting my trenchcoat whilst investigating some murder scene in a dark alley somewhere.

Every game need to implement this level of haptics for everything. Just jumping from Astro to other "next-gen" games it feels like it's on a different level.

SomeOneInaHat

Nov 9, 2017
Took me about 4 hours to platinum + bonus trophy. Loved every second of my experience! Also had a back and forth battle on the leaderboards with some of my friends, love that UI Leaderboard integration. I ended up top 500 on a few of the speed runs as well. May go back and see if I can make the top 100 and so on.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
I just finished this and man. That was absolutely genius. I laughed out loud at the end. Im actually blown away by how genius it was to use astrobot and turn it into some virtual museum for their consoles, make a game out if it and have it preloaded on the console. Like holy shit. Absolutely brilliant

Edit: and the way it showcased the haptics and triggers. I hope whoever came up with this idea got a raise

nujabeans

Dec 2, 2017
Agree. It's a blueprint for developers to understand how certain haptic techniques are implemented - not only on a technological level but also within the context of game mechanics.

In fact, I hope Sony even releases documentation on Astro's Playroom's DualSense implementation not just to WWS, but also to 3rd party developers.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It's one of the tightest and most polished games I've ever had the pleasure of playing.

Right up there with the best Nintendo has ever done since 3D started. It feels almost hand crafted....if that makes sense.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Same here, even got those 3 bonus trophies.
Yup, I've had DS, Miles, and Sackboy ready to go but I couldn't get away from Astro until I completed everything. Every PS5 owner needs to play this, plain and simple. It's pure magic.

That 7 minute total speedrun trophy was painless when I realized while in spring-form you can pre-squeeze the trigger in the air to immediately jump at max tension as soon as you touch the ground. That shaved 30 seconds off the spring level for me.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That 7 minute total speedrun trophy was painless when I realized while in spring-form you can pre-squeeze the trigger in the air to immediately jump at max tension as soon as you touch the ground. That shaved 30 seconds off the spring level for me.
Good to know. I shaved off the time I needed by replaying the first level and surprisingly doing much better but I'll go do this too.
Edit: 46 seconds off lol.

Last edited:

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
It is a real treat. I know it's really just a tech demo showcase for the controller but it's incredibly effective and just a neat, simple and polished experience.

It makes me want to play that VR game... If only I had VR. Hopefully we'll see more Astrobot games in the future.

Is Astrobot the PS mascot now? Feels like they should be!

Fiksi

Oct 27, 2017
Almost wanna get a PS5 just for this game from what I've seen. It looks really really nice. Astro is a nice IP, I hope they keep using it :)

swimming

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
think the coolest haptics are ice skating and when youre in ball form going over bumpy uneven rocks.. it feels so fucking cool

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Something funny happened when I was playing earlier. I had my wireless gold headset plugged in and was doing one of those parts where you have to blow into the controller mic. The PS5 automatically defaults to the wireless gold so you have to update the setting to use the controller mic...

Let's just say that I almost lost my breath and initially thought there was something wrong with the controller itself lol..

This also made me realize that the mic on the controller might work way better than the mic on the wireless gold which from my understanding sucks (I've never used this for multiplayer).

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. Just finished, and it was fantastic. Astrobot Rescue Rescue Mission was fantastic too. I think Sony has a Mario quality platformer now. I want a fully fledged sequel.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I am loving the game, but I also loved the VR game as well. I just hope Sony funds the team to make a proper game without all the marketing gimmick of PS stuff. A pure platformer like the VR game, but longer. They have proven themselves twice with this game and the VR game that they are great at making a mascot type platformer.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I loved when you were inside the ball that you roll around, and you go on a track that has these little series of squares on the side of the track. The vibration was incredibly convincing rolling over all those things.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Coming off of playing Mario Galaxy, this game hits the same notes so well. I'd love to see more of this in the future.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
I just platinumed it (as well as getting the three "bonus" trophies) and man I can't find enough good things to say about this game. It has to be my favorite platformer since Galaxy 2, which is insane because I have genuinely loved all the Mario games released since then.

VR is a bit out of my price range, so I'm really hoping we get a full Astro Bot game on PS5. The little guy deserves it. This game has potential. Holy crap it's so good. Incredible satisfying to play. Excellent middle ground between course-clear and exploration that even the Mario games haven't nailed outside of Galaxy 1 imo.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a good website that lists all the little easter eggs/nods/ect for each level? I got almost all of them but there were a few I couldn't place.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
I 100%'d the game earlier tonight. This game was the perfect way to start the new generation. It was enjoyable, adorable, and filled with awesome Easter eggs. (Did anyone find the Dante-bot? lol) Even the time trials were fun, and I fucking hate time trials. And the sound track is great.

The Labo area was fucking awesome too. All the little interactivity with all of the artifacts. The giant gatcha machine.

What a fantastic game.

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
It was brief but I'm ready to pay $70 for a full fledged, non-VR Astro game now.

Hell, let this team revive Ape Escape.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, I've had DS, Miles, and Sackboy ready to go but I couldn't get away from Astro until I completed everything. Every PS5 owner needs to play this, plain and simple. It's pure magic.

Learned that while trying to better my speedrun. Legit took it from my least favorite form to my favorite. Once you get it, it feels really nice.

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017
Astro and the DualSense really made next gen for me. We really need Sony to let Asobi make a full fledged AAA busget Astro game...

wastingmyyouth

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 10, 2020
The rain haptics alone make the PS5 / DualSense a worthy purchase. Minute-to-minute gameplay is out of this world and reminds me of Nintendo EAD output.

Best pack-in game since Alex Kidd in Miracle World and Wii Sports.

Goldash

Nov 3, 2020
Buffalo, NY + Toronto, ON
I seriously received Super Mario 64 vibes from Astro's Playroom. Never would I have ever expected it. I don't know, there's just something about it that threw me back to playing SM64 on day one as a kid. It was literally the food critic flashback scene from Ratatouille except now I was feeling the exact same way.

The open-ended level select. The oddly surreal but extremely friendly world design. The emphasis on exploration (albeit in linear levels). The slight music/arrangement changes in different areas. The throwbacks to previous eras/games. Using the controller to play with characters before the game even begins (okay, maybe that one was a bit of a stretch but hey! Same energy.)

I would absolutely want a non-VR sequel for this, even if it needs to ship at a lower price. I truly feel like this is a pretty solid platformer in its own right. It certainly exceeded all my expectations.

Nov 5, 2018
Saitama, Japan
VITA=LIFE 😭
NcUWRf7.jpg

Saberus

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Just got my PS5 started playing this today.. wow.. what a great game, so clean.. and why isn't anyone talking about RT in this game?.. its everywhere, but very subtle.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Just got my PS5 started playing this today.. wow.. what a great game, so clean.. and why isn't anyone talking about RT in this game?.. its everywhere, but very subtle.
Are you sure it's not screen space reflections and cube maps? I don't remember seeing anything that looked overtly ray-traced.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Grabbed the plat. Lots of fun, but fuck the monkey and spring suits.

Also the reflections in the artifact room were very disappointing but the game is free so I can't expect much

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
The more I read about this game the more I think "Yeah, maybe I should try to get a PS5 sooner rather than later."

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Such an amazing game! Perfect pack in game, but it also kind of spoils you for haptic feedback.

I literally want every game to have this level of care put into the haptic feedback and adaptive triggers. To say it was a transformative experience is almost an understatement. When the game first starts, the haptics were neat, but once the game proper gets going (ie, your first real world you visit), it begins to fire on all cylinders, and the haptics and triggers really have to be felt and experienced to be appreciated.

My roommate just got back from her trip, and I had her run around for a bit in cooling springs and the raindrop level, and she was blown away by it.

Asobi Team deserves all the praise for this game, and I really hope they have more PS5 projects planned, and not just Astro titles. I'd kill for them to develop a new Ape Escape. Considering all of the amazing PlayStation references they put into Astro's Playroom, I highly doubt they are ignorant of the brand's history. They really did their homework, and have an obvious love of PlayStation. I think it's more a matter of Sony giving them the freedom to pursue whatever projects they're passionate about. This game is an absolute love letter to everything PlayStation, and I was just grinning from ear to ear.

One particular reference in the GPU Jungle had me grinning from ear to ear, as it was completely unexpected.

breakfuss

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Playing this actually makes me kind of sad. In a good way, if that makes any sense. Brimming with nostalgia. Brilliant showcase of the controller's features though.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Really liked it, but still hate motion controls and blowing into a damn controller lol. Adaptive triggers and amazing rumble all day though, every dev needs to take advantage of these. Lets relegate the motion and microphone shit to optional.

Bring on a full, large scale, exploration platformer from this team please!

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
My current playtime for the game is at 6 hours, and I don't even have the Platinum Trophy yet. The ending of this game is brilliant, and is just so damn charming. I'm not a Trophy hunter, but I could see myself perhaps going for it, simply because I want an excuse to dive back into the world and play, since I collected all the artifacts and puzzle pieces.

In my mind, I 100% see this as a full fledged game. Maybe it's because I grew up in the 80's, and more than a few of those games didn't have nearly as much content as Astro. Just because it's a pack-in game, and doesn't feature 30+ levels and a dozen different worlds, doesn't make it any less of a full game to me, at least.

We talk a lot about game bloat, and how so many games pad their time to stretch it out, but I think Astro does a great job of presenting a focused, streamlined experience, with no bloat, and instead opted for well designed levels with genuinely fun, unique, and creative gameplay in each level.

I suppose you could perhaps add boss battles to each world (much like Astrobot Rescue Mission), but outside of that, I can't say I need the game to be as long as a LittleBigPlanet or Mario Odyssey. I think this game works so well because it doesn't wear out its welcome, and it leaves you wanting more, because what's there is just so damn good and well designed.

If Team Asobi ever decided to release extra content for this game (like a 5th world, and more PlayStation collectibles, and fun ways to utilize the Dual Sense), I would gladly pay for it. With the praise that it's getting (and not to mention the Trophy hinting at more to come), I'm sure they're working on another Astro game. A new VR 1 is a no-brainer, but I think we'll get another title like this as well. I think it'd be awesome to have two Astro Series going forward: The Rescue Mission series for VR, and the Playroom series for non-VR. Astro is a charming enough character to carry two series at least.