• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
And here is where the problem lies: not with kids (who are inocent BTW), but their parents, who sometimes are bigots. Respect is the nº1 value that must be taught even at kindergarten, and reinforced on parents at school meetings, so kids can still be kids and not be worried about being bullied for being gay or anything.

At least in my country, sex-ed is in discussion in senate to be taught from 1st grade, BUT with age-appropriate content, so things like gender would be approached on grade 4 or 5 (IRRC). In any case, bigotry is strictly not tolerated in schools here (at least from teachers or others at schools) and kids are reprimended if they're bigot in any way or form.
Why are you wrapping sex-ed with talks of gender? And why is sex-ed a full three years before gender identity?

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
I would be fired within hours if this took effect here. Sexual orientation discussions come up constantly in a middle school where kids are figuring themselves out. Fuck this nonsense.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
is this indoctrination of kids or...?:

FaNIadI.png

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a bad idea "per-se" as I didn't care (or knew) about anything even remotely sexual until I was around 9 or 10. The thing is that the law is so badly worded and so open to interpretation that it will inevitably create confrontation between the school and parents.

Heck, kids have no prejudices, nor care if their peers are of diferent race, gender or whatever. They only care if they're fun to play with. =)
Sexual orientation isn't just about sex. This means telling kids things like "Billy had two daddies and that's okay." If kids are bullying Billy, under this law the teacher isn't allowed to tell the students that it's okay for some men to marry men.

It's the GOP that can't see two gay guys without thinking of blowjobs and buttsex, but obviously nobody wants to talk about that in kindergarten.

And nobody was: this is a bullshit law that doesn't solve any real problems, it only solves the "problem" of letting gay people be treated like normal members of society by teachers who chose to.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stop just blaming DeSantis for this. This isn't just his responsibility. This is possible because hundreds of thousands or millions of voters in Florida are bigots. Just scapegoating DeSantis underplays just how deeply problematic the conservatives of this country's beliefs are.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Stop just blaming DeSantis for this. This isn't just his responsibility. This is possible because hundreds of thousands or millions of voters in Florida are bigots. Just scapegoating DeSantis underplays just how deeply problematic the conservatives of this country's beliefs are.

And it isn't just in Florida either.

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
Please correct me if I'm wrong but what does the bill mean?
Like sexual orientation could refer to a classical heterosexual relationship in a fairytale?
Doesn't this open the door for people to sue if they like read beauty and the beast?

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Like sexual orientation could refer to a classical heterosexual relationship in a fairytale?
Doesn't this open the door for people to sue if they like read beauty and the beast?
The point of legal bounty bills like that is to create a chilling effect that will get schools to self censor.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018

There are no guidelines yet and it wouldn't because they'll deem straight relationships age-appropriate but not non-hetero relationships.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
So, I'm going to guess that much like the whole CRT outrage, gender identity isn't actually taught or talked about at ANY school in all of Florida? And that this whole thing is just to "own the libs" and score points with the insane MAGA crowd?
Correct. This is a move for him to get re-elected this year, and for him to make a presidential run in the future. He gives zero shits about who this will hurt.

cybermiguel

Banned
Mar 25, 2022
Chile
Why are you wrapping sex-ed with talks of gender? And why is sex-ed a full three years before gender identity?
Because that's what I have seen with kids...or better said, what my mom teached when she worked as a primary teacher. According to her, kids up 'til 7 or so are kind of oblivious to gender or stuff like that while playing kids games. However, the most "gender education" they get at that age are basically gender roles, which nowdays are neutral and are taught as such (like firefighters or policeman-policewoman, etc).

Sorry if it was misunderstood, but sex-ed in those early stages are basically teaching what parts are private, to tell adults if someone touches them, etc...

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Because that's what I have seen with kids...or better said, what my mom teached when she worked as a primary teacher. According to her, kids up 'til 7 or so are kind of oblivious to gender or stuff like that while playing kids games. However, the most "gender education" they get at that age are basically gender roles, which nowdays are neutral and are taught as such (like firefighters or policeman-policewoman, etc).

Sorry if it was misunderstood, but sex-ed in those early stages are basically teaching what parts are private, to tell adults if someone touches them, etc...

They aren't oblivious to gender before 7 years old and, even if they are, they shouldn't be and they should be taught before then.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017

This is complete shit, I knew what the dynamic of Peach and Mario was and knew I didn't fit in it. It's this line of thinking that got me here, and there's a infinite line variations where I could've been a better individual if I had received support.

Florida is a mistake, I'm going to be avoiding it my entire life at this point
Good for you, doesn't help queer people living there.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Man I hope som rich AF people put that to the test through the courts.

As states get to set guidelines for education and such, I doubt one could change this easily.

Good for you, doesn't help queer people living there.

Exactly. You aren't gonna visit? Cool but how does that help all the people living there targeted by this law? I guess out of sight, out of mind is far easier than actually helping the people affected.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man I hope som rich AF people put that to the test through the courts.
You shouldn't hope for that, though it will almost certainly happen.

Our court system is HEAVILY skewed toward rich people, and even if they lost a bullshit lawsuit (which is not a sure thing given how the law is written and how many right wing judges we have in this count). They can still bleed the school district dry, and that's a win win for those dickheads because they hate public education almost as much as they hate gay people.

twinturbo2

Oct 27, 2017
Jupiter, FL
Friendly reminder that we have two great candidates for governor in Annette Taddeo and Nikki Fried, and could use all the help they can get. No reason why I'm waltzing into this thread to say this, no sirree bob.

Oh, and Charlie Crist is running too.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Non of us outside of Florida can help, for all that matter. We can comment all we want, but in the end, its floridans that have voted those shitty laws and its up to floridans to fix their own mess. DeSantis is just the scapegoat here (as a previous poster said).

You can absolutely help. There is plenty of mutual aid funds and charities that you can volunteer with and donate to in order to help the LGBTQ+ community in Florida.

hachikoma

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This literally wouldn't have passed if DeSantis hadn't made this (and last year the athlete ban) priorities to raise his national profile. FL had something like a 15 year streak of killing anti-LGBTQ legislation until last year.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Florida passes hateful laws, has Disney there, and gets numerous hurricanes each year.

Why does anyone live there?

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Correct. This is a move for him to get re-elected this year, and for him to make a presidential run in the future. He gives zero shits about who this will hurt.
Again, it's not just about getting re-elected, and its weird to say doesn't give a shit who it hurts, they want to hurt LGBT people, that's the point. They would be doing this anyways, have tried variations since the 80's when I was a kid and it fucked up my self worth and kept me in the closet for decades that fucked my life up.

But once again when you post things like that you are buying into and propagating the mindset that people like me are a "political issue" and that is pretty hurtful and also makes me feel like shit.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Non of us outside of Florida can help, for all that matter. We can comment all we want, but in the end, its floridans that have voted those shitty laws and its up to floridans to fix their own mess. DeSantis is just the scapegoat here (as a previous poster said).
A. You declined to answer my question about if Sexual Education and Gender identity are the same thing.

B. You fall back on the fact that so many on this forum care about being morally superior rather than give a dosh about the people who are currently being affected by the subject of conversation when they might very well did everything they could've but because Florida is a meme you can be broad.

cybermiguel

Banned
Mar 25, 2022
Chile
Again, it's not just about getting re-elected, and its weird to say doesn't give a shit who it hurts, they want to hurt LGBT people, that's the point. They would be doing this anyways, have tried variations since the 80's when I was a kid and it fucked up my self worth and kept me in the closet for decades that fucked my life up.

But once again when you post things like that you are buying into and propagating the mindset that people like me are a "political issue" and that is pretty hurtful and also makes me feel like shit.
It IS about getting re-elected. To DeSantis, LGBT+ people are just numbers of votes, just like the rest of floridans, and he just calculates how much votes he can get doing this or that (like any politician). "The people that want to hurt the LGBT+ community ammounts for X votes, while the community that advocates for LGBT+ rights are Y votes. Y=X-10, then I'll go with people that want to hurt LGBT+ so I can stay in power".

Politicians do that all the time and that's why they're such assholes. It really is rare to see one that has convictions about anything and don't mind losing votes on an issue they have a conviction.

A. You declined to answer my question about if Sexual Education and Gender identity are the same thing.

B. You fall back on the fact that so many on this forum care about being morally superior rather than give a dosh about the people who are currently being affected by the subject of conversation when they might very well did everything they could've but because Florida is a meme you can be broad.
A: Sorry, they're not exactly the same, but kind of... I can't explain myself very well as english is not my mother tongue.

B: True, but simply because there's absolutely nothing a single individual from a foreign country (like me) can do about it. Maybe I can contribute to some LGBT+ charity (as a user said before), but other than that, there's not much.
It's like war in the Ukraine: all I can do is discuss the subject and contribute a bit with the Red Cross to help those people. =/

Reminder DeathSantas won by 35K votes out of 8 million.

Elections have consequences.
THIS. SO MUCH THIS.

Last edited:

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
It IS about getting re-elected. To DeSantis, LGBT+ people are just numbers of votes, just like the rest of floridans, and he just calculates how much votes he can get doing this or that (like any politician). "The people that want to hurt the LGBT+ community ammounts for X votes, while the community that advocates for LGBT+ rights are Y votes. Y=X-10, then I'll go with people that want to hurt LGBT+ so I can stay in power".

Politicians do that all the time and that's why they're such assholes. It really is rare to see one that has convictions about anything and don't mind losing votes on an issue they have a conviction.

There are a lot of politicians that are true believers. Stop thinking they only do it for the votes. They literally tell people what they believe and somehow people still think "Well, they are just shitty for the elections and they don't actually believe it." They do. They WANT to hurt LGBTQ+ people. I live in a red state too. People like DeSantis and the GOP want to hurt us and not just because it plays well with their base. They want it too.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017

The fuck is even your point.

Are you gonna talk about your initial point of gender identity is not an important discussion for developing children tat an arbitrary age you don't even know or hide in away in bullshit political gaming.

EDITL Like yeah, you're telling some old ass people about basic political theory. Maybe answer the first question.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017

I apologize, that was not my intention and poor wording on my part.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
A: Sorry, they're not exactly the same, but kind of... I can't explain myself very well as english is not my mother tongue.

B: True, but simply because there's absolutely nothing a single individual from a foreign country (like me) can do about it. Maybe I can contribute to some LGBT+ charity (as a user said before), but other than that, there's not much.
It's like war in the Ukraine: all I can do is discuss the subject and contribute a bit with the Red Cross to help those people. =/
Maybe you can just check yourself when you have a language barrier and a social barrier when called out instead of getting on the defense?

Oct 25, 2017
Ya'll folks just don't care.

I can't speak for the circumstances as to why most queer people in Florida can't leave and it would be highly insensitive to say "leave". However I live in MA, which is a far more progressive state, and my help would truly have to come from moving to Florida to make a voting change. Desantis is the problem and one that me in MA cannot fix physically. I can only give money to organizations to help from abroad.

It's fucked up to say people don't care but lack the self awareness that comes with the help that people abroad truly can't do. I can't tell you to leave, and you can't tell me to move there.

cybermiguel

Banned
Mar 25, 2022
Chile
There are a lot of politicians that are true believers. Stop thinking they only do it for the votes. They literally tell people what they believe and somehow people still think "Well, they are just shitty for the elections and they don't actually believe it." They do. They WANT to hurt LGBTQ+ people. I live in a red state too. People like DeSantis and the GOP want to hurt us and not just because it plays well with their base. They want it too.
And those politicians would be powerless if their base was small enough. Unfortunately it isn't, and THAT's the biggest issue. DeSantis wouldn't be passing this law if there weren't bigots that voted for him in the first place. =/

The fuck is even your point.

Are you gonna talk about your initial point of gender identity is not an important discussion for developing children tat an arbitrary age you don't even know or hide in away in bullshit political gaming.
My point is that kids should be kids and gender education (and sex education for all matter) has to be age appropriate, so the kid can develop well and not be a bigot when growing into adulthood, nor be pedo-prey. We already have enough bigots today to have even more in the future.

And yes, I think that more important than gender or anything, is teaching kids inclusiveness and respect, like no matter if a kid grows to be hetero-cis or part of LGBT+ community, all people should be respected the same.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
I can't speak for the circumstances as to why most queer people in Florida can't leave and it would be highly insensitive to say "leave". However I live in MA, which is a far more progressive state, and my help would truly have to come from moving to Florida to make a voting change. Desantis is the problem and one that me in MA cannot fix physically. I can only give money to organizations to help from abroad.

It's fucked up to say people don't care but lack the self awareness that comes with the help that people abroad truly can't do. I can't tell you to leave, and you can't tell me to move there.

The problem is thinking that voting is the only thing one can really do. You can volunteer and give money to mutual funds and other organizations in Florida. We are used to people grandstanding about not visiting certain places but what does that do? That doesn't really materially help those in need in Florida which you can do.

It's not fucked up. It's true. Most people do not care.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017

You care more about me spitting at you than the state of queer kids in a state you don't live in. Recognize that, it's an easy change.
My point is that kids should be kids and gender education (and sex education for all matter) has to be age appropriate, so the kid can develop well and not be a bigot when growing into adulthood, nor be pedo-prey. We already have enough bigots today to have even more in the future.
Bruh... what? What does recognizing gender identity before sexual identification have to deal with pedophilia?

cybermiguel

Banned
Mar 25, 2022
Chile
User banned (permanent): Troll account
Bruh... what? What does recognizing gender identity before sexual identification have to deal with pedophilia?
Absolutely nothing. It's just one of the many things kids have to learn through the ages and that's on a new sex-ed law that's being discussed here in my country, and thought would be relevant to the discussion. Most people here in Chile, in the LGBT+ community are pushing this law because it truly helps create consciousness, while retaining kids' innate inocence (which we all in the country agree is of utmost importance).