• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
The worlds weirdest issue (sound on and look at the mouse light)

UPDATE: I finally convinced then to give me a full refund so I can just build the PC myself.

For xmas, my boyfriend wanted a new PC, so I gave him some cash and he picked out what he wanted.(He deserves it times a billion.) He found a deal on CyberPower where they prebuilt the PC, and while we are both technically saavy and I have built my own PC before, having it prebuilt with custom parts seemed convenient so we gave it a shot.

We ordered around xmas, and PC arrived Jan. 22nd. Worked fine initially, then after 2 days, black screen, no graphic output. I popped my graphics card in and it worked fine, we RMAd the PC per their request because they wanted to test all the components . Fair enough, we shipped it out on the 27th after some back and forth about a return label after the 48 hour waiting period, so we shipped it as soon as possible.

We received it back February 18th, they had replaced the GPU and confirmed that there were no other issues. Bad components happen, no problems, they had been pleasant and helpful, we were patient and understanding. No big deal.

Right away we noticed that when you touch the mouse, it would disconnect the mouse and the keyboard, and reset all the DPI settings and RGB setting for the mouse and keyboards. We tested the mouse and keyboard with 2 different PCs in the same spot, yes, we are silly gamers with too many PCs, I know, but very convenient for troubleshooting. We tried a half a dozen different peripherals, they all lost power when touched. Confirming that this was only on the CyberPower built rig. I wasn't hazarding my own components to troubleshoot anymore after I saw peripherals popping on and off like christmas lights.

We called on the 20th which they are denying but we have the phone records to prove it. They brushed the issue off but after talking to my friend who is an electrical engineer it was clear that there was some electrical issues with the PC and it has already fried one component. They advised us to wear slippers to resolve the issue...ok guys.

We called again after a few days of the issue going on, because honestly it is incredibly annoying to have to redo all your mouse and keyboard settings every other time you physically touch it and since clearly something electrical was going on, we didn't want more cooked GPUs, even with a year warranty.

So we sent back on the March 2nd (Got the label on Friday 28th, they are claiming we didn't report the issue soon enough, but our call logs and the tell a different story. )

We recieved it back March 28th, Friday. It still had the exact same problems. They said they replaced the motherboard and the ram, we confirmed because we took a pic of the serial numbers and the ram was a different type entirely.

We called today and talked to "Eddie." I don't know if he was having a bad day, but he wasn't on par with the previous techs we spoke with, he refused to believe we were having an issue, said it worked fine there, so we asked for a refund. He said since we failed to report the issue within 7 days (we did and you recommended **slippers** but ok.) That a refund wouldn't be possible. I asked for a higher up, he refused, and he refused to give us a name of a supervisor to reference in our email to the dispute center. Okey dokey. Guess we'll call back???

Great. So we are stuck with an electrical mess and out almost 2 grand, 4 months later. Honestly my boyfriend just wants a working PC to play Doom Eternal on but I guess that's too much to ask, and I feel like a shithead because he got me something awesome that I love and his gift has been an expensive bust

If not any advice for getting our money back? They said we can email their dispute department but I feel like we are really getting shafted here.

TLDR; CyberPower PC will take $2000 of your money and make your boyfriend super sad. :(

Last edited:

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
With so many stuff on youtube today for research and guidance, why would you buy a PC for gaming anyway? $2000 would have allowed for a MONSTER of a rig too.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
The worlds weirdest issue (sound on and look at the mouse light)

For xmas, my boyfriend wanted a new PC, so I gave him some cash and he picked out what he wanted.(He deserves it times a billion.) He found a deal on CyberPower where they prebuilt the PC, and while we are both technically saavy and I have built my own PC before, having it prebuilt with custom parts seemed convenient so we gave it a shot.

We ordered around xmas, and PC arrived Jan. 22nd. Worked fine initially, then after 2 days, black screen, no graphic output. I popped my graphics card in and it worked fine, we RMAd the PC per their request because they wanted to test all the components . Fair enough, we shipped it out on the 27th after some back and forth about a return label after the 48 hour waiting period, so we shipped it as soon as possible.

We received it back February 18th, they had replaced the GPU and confirmed that there were no other issues. Bad components happen, no problems, they had been pleasant and helpful, we were patient and understanding. No big deal.

Right away we noticed that when you touch the mouse, it would disconnect the mouse and the keyboard, and reset all the DPI settings and RGB setting for the mouse and keyboards. We tested the mouse and keyboard with 2 different PCs in the same spot, yes, we are silly gamers with too many PCs, I know, but very convenient for troubleshooting. We tried a half a dozen different peripherals, they all lost power when touched. Confirming that this was only on the CyberPower built rig. I wasn't hazarding my own components to troubleshoot anymore after I saw peripherals popping on and off like christmas lights.

We called on the 20th which they are denying but we have the phone records to prove it. They brushed the issue off but after talking to my friend who is an electrical engineer it was clear that there was some electrical issues with the PC and it has already fried one component. They advised us to wear slippers to resolve the issue...ok guys.

We called again after a few days of the issue going on, because honestly it is incredibly annoying to have to redo all your mouse and keyboard settings every other time you physically touch it and since clearly something electrical was going on, we didn't want more cooked GPUs, even with a year warranty.

So we sent back on the March 2nd (Got the label on Friday 28th, they are claiming we didn't report the issue soon enough, but our call logs and the tell a different story. )

We recieved it back March 28th, Friday. It still had the exact same problems. They said they replaced the motherboard and the ram, we confirmed because we took a pic of the serial numbers and the ram was a different type entirely.

We called today and talked to "Eddie." I don't know if he was having a bad day, but he wasn't on par with the previous techs we spoke with, he refused to believe we were having an issue, said it worked fine there, so we asked for a refund. He said since we failed to report the issue within 7 days (we did and you recommended **slippers** but ok.) That a refund wouldn't be possible. I asked for a higher up, he refused, and he refused to give us a name of a supervisor to reference in our email to the dispute center. Okey dokey. Guess we'll call back???

Great. So we are stuck with an electrical mess and out almost 2 grand, 4 months later. Honestly my boyfriend just wants a working PC to play Doom Eternal on but I guess that's too much to ask, and I feel like a shithead because he got me something awesome that I love and his gift has been an expensive bust

If not any advice for getting our money back? They said we can email their dispute department but I feel like we are really getting shafted here.

TLDR; CyberPower PC will take $2000 of your money and make your boyfriend super sad. :(

Don't get cyberpower. NZXT was fantastic for me.
Cyberpower i've always heard mixed things about and you are taking a risk with them.

OP
OP
MazeHaze

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
With so many stuff on youtube today for research and guidance, why would you buy a PC for gaming anyway? $2000 would have allowed for a MONSTER of a rig too.
parting it out the price was pretty much the same with their holiday sales for the prebuilt, and as we both work in tech and have expendable income it seemed like a good deal and it would just show up ready to go. Lesson learned, we have both built PC's before and just wanted something hassle free. Never again.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah and for price too, for the most part you are getting a better deal when you get parts yourself.

Simply following a youtube guide thoroughly should have you covered.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah pre built pcs are a bad idea. i went through something similar last year with a pre built pc.

a better choice would be to buy all the parts, take it to a local computer shop and pay them $100-200 to build it.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd post this on some subreddits, you might get some traction there. IIRC a few of these companies have active subreddits and personnel there, and the public pressure might help.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got a PowerSpec G351 Prebuilt when GPU prices were bloated due to BitMiners and I've been super happy with it.

OP
OP
MazeHaze

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I'd post this on some subreddits, you might get some traction there. IIRC a few of these companies have active subreddits and personnel there, and the public pressure might help.
we have done that as well as emailed all of their support emails with this. The thing that makes me the most mad is that the rep today didn't believe me about the problem. This would be the 3rd RMA and was like "uh...have you tried a different mouse?" YES MOTHERFUCKER! and then when he realized we knew what we were talking about he wouldn't say much and was completely unhelpful.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Gut the computer and swap the motherboard. Sounds like a weird bios or motherboard issue.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Would usually recommend people building the they're own PC, not just cause its cheaper but you have the knowledge if anything has a problem or goes wrong then you have a better idea of what part is the issue.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017

You should definitely do this. Make a big stink on Reddit and there's a good chance you'll get better customer service.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
The Cyberpower PC I bought in 2016 didn't come with a Windows key, so "Active Windows" has been permanently burned into the bottom-right corner of my screen for the past four goddamn years.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
parting it out the price was pretty much the same with their holiday sales for the prebuilt, and as we both work in tech and have expendable income it seemed like a good deal and it would just show up ready to go. Lesson learned, we have both built PC's before and just wanted something hassle free. Never again.
Unfortunately that's the thing. It looks like you're getting the same for the same amount of money, but companies like this generally cheap out on motherboards, ram, and power supplies. Things you are never supposed to cheap out on lol.

It sounds like a super frustrating experience, and I'm sorry y'all had to deal with it. Hopefully the company does eventually do right if you escalate enough.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I've always bought "pre-built" in Norway, but that's basically just a custom build that somebody assembles for you for basically free as long as all the parts are bought from them.

OP
OP
MazeHaze

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Gut the computer and swap the motherboard. Sounds like a weird bios or motherboard issue.
the motherboard has already been replaced, as well as the ram. It is some type of grounding issue, whether that's the standoffs/the case/the PSU I'm not sure. I figured they might have figured that out on the SECOND rma but apparently not. They said they can't replicate the issue and seemed annoyed in general and didn't believe me/talked to me like I'm an idiot.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Hmm, that's weird. Do you know what motherboard the system has? Also, can you open the machine without voiding your warranty? You shouldn't have to go through this hassle at all though.

So this problem occurs only when you touch the mouse?

Edit: Oh, motherboard has already been replaced.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
not to excuse cyberPC here, but have you confirmed that it's not a problem with the keyboard and mouse? Those RGB keyboard and mice actually draw a lot of power. For a $2000 PC it absolutely shouldn't be a problem, that thing should have a great PSU at that price, but you might want to just make certain.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing but good things to say about Origin PC when I got my workstation built through them. Cheaper than the rest were, plus lifetime service support even If I'm installing more shit on my own. I kept hearing and seeing stuff on Cyberpower, and Alienware and Ibuypower and all those but settled on Origin by combing through some reviews animators had given . If anyone's gonna know how to run the piss off a PC its a dude rendering shit in CG so I trust their testimonies.

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
the motherboard has already been replaced, as well as the ram. It is some type of grounding issue, whether that's the standoffs/the case/the PSU I'm not sure. I figured they might have figured that out on the SECOND rma but apparently not. They said they can't replicate the issue and seemed annoyed in general and didn't believe me/talked to me like I'm an idiot.
Still sounds like a motherboard issue so I would take everything out of the case and just run it on a static free workspace. That would isolate the case. Then if you have a different PSU, try that.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
i bought a cyberpowerpc for my son a few years ago when gpu prices were ridiculous and i couldnt have built a better one for the same or less money. i honestly was impressed. they used all "off the shelf" components, parts that you would buy yourself from any online retailer if you were building yourself. obviously one of the downsides (or upsides depending on how you look at it) is having to go through the builder for any warranty issues instead of just replacing things yourself. id still recommend a boutique builder like them over any shit from HP or Dell if you were set on getting a prebuilt.

it sounds like some kind of usb driver issue, maybe? maybe try an internal pcie usb expansion card or even an external powered source. also, have you updated windows to the latest build?

OP
OP
MazeHaze

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Hmm, that's weird. Do you know what motherboard the system has? Also, can you open the machine without voiding your warranty?
So this probably occurs only when you touch the mouse?
It is an ASUS prime x570 motherboard, which they replace on the second RMA. The problem occurs probably 2/5 times I touch the mouse. Which would be whatever, but it resets my RGB and DPI settings when it happens. It is some kind of ESD issue I believe, but again, two other PC's hooked up to the same setup do not exhibit this problem (we are a heavy PC gaming house and have troubleshooted this a lot)
not to excuse cyberPC here, but have you confirmed that it's not a problem with the keyboard and mouse? Those RGB keyboard and mice actually draw a lot of power. For a $2000 PC it absolutely shouldn't be a problem, that thing should have a great PSU at that price, but you might want to just make certain.
Yes, half a dozen different peripherals exhibit the same problem, when plugged into our two other gaming PC's they do not exhibit any problem.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
My past 2 computers were pre-builts and I loved them. My first pc I built myself and it didn't turn on, especially after taking a long ass time to build because the case I got was apparently the worst thing ever. Too small, every guide didnt apply to me because their big $200 cases had screws or stands or whatnot already built in and mine didn't, my gpu wouldnt fit into the slot because a screw was blocking it in so I had to hammer it flat(while everything was inside!). Tons of little stuff that made the experience way too much of a pain in the ass. Legos have instructions at least! My local shop said something small wasnt plugged in so luckily I kinda did everything right.

Since then I went pre-built though. I got the HP computer that was super popular a few years back and have since upgraded to a comp that someone else built on this site, so if I do wanna upgrade it I can finally just take out the GPU and put a new one in, though with how crazy slow technology has been progressing I've been upgrading everything in one go consistently so far.

Sucks you're having such a bad time with the cyberpower, I heard they used to be the worst but cleaned up their act.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I stopped getting pre-built PCs ~15 years ago. I'm building my own PC every ~4 years. Works like a charm.

OP
OP
MazeHaze

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Still sounds like a motherboard issue so I would take everything out of the case and just run it on a static free workspace. That would isolate the case. Then if you have a different PSU, try that.
the motherboard has been replaced already, as well as the ram. So Windows has been reinstalled on the machine as well (they wipe the hard drive when you send in for RMA)

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Man, if I paid $2000 for a PC I wouldn't want to do any of this shit. Paying $2000 and then having to disassemble and test every component yourself, then reassemble it? Might as well have not just gotten a pre-built at all then.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Prebuilts are pretty bad. Prebuilts with proprietary bullshit should be outlawed.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
I was having some weird issues with a computer i actually built not too long ago. The bluetooth connection stopped working, mouse would also randomly just turn off, audio issues, etc. Turns out what i needed to do was reseat all the components, and then do a completely fresh install of windows10 all over again. Fixed everything.

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Man, if I paid $2000 for a PC I wouldn't want to do any of this shit. Paying $2000 and then having to disassemble and test every component yourself, then reassemble it? Might as well have not just gotten a pre-built at all then.
Yea it sucks but it sounds like OP is a point where they need to self diagnose exactly where the point of failure is. Also might want to see if they put the computer on a credit card and possibly do a chargeback.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Yep, I was a victim of a prebuilt PC (IBUYPOWER) that I bought for $1k. Had a Blue screen of death 1 month after I bought it and the HDD and PSU died within year 1-2. Clearly I didn't learn my lesson because I bought a prebuilt Dell gaming desktop but it was at a good price and it actually still works after 2 years. But I'm definetly going slowly take the best parts like the GPU and put it on a new PC at a later date.

cubicle47b

Aug 9, 2019
I used letsbld.com (NZXT) for my wife's PC since I was in the middle of moving across the country and she needed a new one. It's a great service.

OP
OP
MazeHaze

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
EXACTLY! at this point I just want a refund and we'll part it out and build it ourselves, but they are trying to jump through technicalities to refuse a refund. I've never had the PC in my posession for more than a week or so since I received it in January.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
For a weird electrical issue that they can't replicate it might be worth checking that the outlets in your home aren't acting up, either, just to be safe. I burned up a couple of guitar amps in my home with a faulty outlet.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I love PC gaming, but nothing is more frustrating than dropping 2000+ on a computer only to have something you have no idea how to fix happen to you. OP did you pay with a credit card? If all else fails i would do a chargeback. Make a stink about it on twitter and reddit first and if they still don't want to help you then chargeback.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It is an ASUS prime x570 motherboard, which they replace on the second RMA. The problem occurs probably 2/5 times I touch the mouse. Which would be whatever, but it resets my RGB and DPI settings when it happens. It is some kind of ESD issue I believe, but again, two other PC's hooked up to the same setup do not exhibit this problem (we are a heavy PC gaming house and have troubleshooted this a lot)

Yes, half a dozen different peripherals exhibit the same problem, when plugged into our two other gaming PC's they do not exhibit any problem.

Oh I see, I suspect it could be a driver or even a power problem. I remember there was one time my G502 stopped working for some reason and I had to reinstall its drivers IIRC.

Another thing is, the USBs could be causing a short of some-kind. Perhaps it's an issue with the grounding as you suggested.

To potentially rule out Windows, does the mouse function properly in the BIOS?

Last edited:

iag

Oct 27, 2017
Is the mouse connected to the front USB ports? Maybe the cable inside the case is faulty.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
honestly with so many videos out their and site like pcpartpicker that help you see if some things are compatible building your PC at this point is essentially a must, get what you want for the best price and learn something new, win all around really.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
A few years back I went from wanting to build a PC to doing it myself in an afternoon, including overclocking my CPU and GPU safely. With each year it becomes easier and easier to get into PC building and it's almost fool-proof. If anybody reading this can assemble LEGOs and follow a basic YouTube tutorial, they're sufficiently qualified to build their own PC. It's genuinely an extremely simple process.

OP
OP
MazeHaze

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Oh I see, I suspect it could be a driver or even a power problem. I remember there was one time my G502 stopped working for some reason and I had to reinstall its drivers IIRC.

Another thing is, the USBs could be causing a short of some-kind. Perhaps it's an issue with the grounding as you suggested.

To potentially rule out Windows, does the mouse function properly in the BIOS?
yep, mouse functions fine in the BIOS, a little weird and laggy though but I've seen that kind of thing before anyway. It seems like a grounding issue 100% to me. Leaning towards case or PSU but I don't want to send it in for another 4 weeks for an RMA that won't fix my problem (the reps don't believe me and say they can't replicate the issue)

Oct 28, 2017
Next time buy from XOTIC PC if you wanna purchase custom built, I've purchased 4 $2K customized MSI laptops from them and they work till this day (my MSI Ghost Pro has been my main for like 3-4 years now).

They even customize through their Amazon shop for those International customers. I know this wasn't the point of your thread but if the opportunity arises perhaps check them out lol

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
Tried alternative ports? How about the port in front of the PC? Mobo/chipset drivers updated?

You might need to pull it apart and see what's going on.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That sucks, but what is that video supposed to show?

When he moves the mouse, the encoder inside the mouse starts sending pulses down the data lines of the USB port, and those lines are causing the port to short out momentarily, killing power to the mouse before turning itself back on. It seems that the initial surge down the data line is killing the mouse every time. Hence, when he uses the mouse, every time, it temporarily turns off.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
You seem to have a lot of problems with PCs. I recall replying to one of your threads about your PC a few years ago.

There's nothing wrong with Custom PCs if you pick your parts and have a local computer shop build it. They usually come with warranties.
I generally agree you do not want to buy the advertised 'gaming' tier PCs on the fliers and such. A lot of them cut corners to advertise the headliners GTX 20XX graphics card for an ultra low price.