• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have gotten locked in a stall before and had to crawl out through the space underneath. Not ideal but its doable

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Coming from Europe (France) originally, I am more annoyed by the massive gaps in stall doors/ panels.

I mean, top/ bottom is annoying and weird enough, but I understand it helps cleaning/ checking if someone is already in (shoes visible)/ and access if someone passes out/ has a problem...

But the 1 inch+ gap at the doors ?
Straight weird. With facing stalls, you just pray you don't get to make eye contact.

Oct 27, 2017
I've only been here for 2 weeks, but I've seen it in hotels (not only the private rooms), office and restaurants.

How can I test it unless there's someone inside?
The locking mechanism prevents the outside doorknob from turning. That's the "lock". It doesn't matter if the door is open or closed for it to work.

Push the lock in with the door open and test the outside doorknob.

Also, those doorknob locks pretty much always work. The cheap twist-bolt doors in like 95% of public restroom stalls are much much less reliable.

ethranes

A King's Landing
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any specific reason they make it so you can see people taking a shit in american toilets?

Oct 25, 2017
Most of those locks are pretty weak. I used to kick in the door for some of these at an old job to fuck with people just because they're not structurally sound.

Oct 25, 2017
There's an incredible diversity of bathroom lock types in the US so I don't get why this is framed as some kind of national issue.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Naw, if I gotta shit I just go use it and believe it's good. I'm not super shy about those kind of things.

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I need to know if OP understands how locks work now, I'm invested (and a little concerned).

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
The button locks can be a bit anxiety inducing due the person on the other side being a persistent bastard and won't wait for a few mins. Not as easy to get a visual conformation compared to other kinds of bathroom locks.

RE: Some reasons for the gaps:
  • The stalls are usually cheap and mass produced.
  • Keep people from banging or doing drugs.
  • Easier to clean

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just leave the door open. Then the anxiety of not knowing whether it's locked is solved.

Also, I don't know if OP is talking about stalls in public bathrooms or just regular doorknob locks in houses. But either way, I guess.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Yes OP. Especially in cities where a lot of businesses are older and have older locks. That's why before committing to the lock I lock it without shutting the door and check the door from the outside. I can't even remember how many times I've walked in on someone on the toilet publicly or been walked in on because they didn't push the door in all the way or the lock was old and easy to trip from the outside without noticing or much pressure.

I especially don't like it when the bathrooms are exceptionally large so it's not like I couldn't put my arm out to keep the door shut if it's a bad lock. I do appreciate when businesses put those latch locks on the door as well as having a button push lock. Better safe than have to say sorry to someone after walking in on them pushing out a growler.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've literally never thouht about this before. If I'm sitting, it's not like they'd get the door open very far anyway.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just forcefully try to get entry to every stall. If the door is locked I (usually) fail to get in and so I move on to the next stall.

Yeah it is weird but when in Rome and all that....

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
I honestly don't think about it. I lock the door and just assume it works.

But as others have said, test it while the door is open if it makes you that anxious.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Priorities list:

3. stranger singing into his phone while other people are shitting
2. broken bathroom lock
1. poo covered floor

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
The only thing that made me anxious about US toilets were the gigantic gaps in the stall and tiny doors. Gimme some damn privacy.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Even if the lock would fail for some reason, once the get into the stall, they'll see me on the toilet which will stop them from sitting on my lap and pooping on me.

Catalix

Oct 28, 2017
I assume OP is talking about these type of locks.

DcyxlNw.jpg

If so, just check the outside knob before closing the door. Crisis averted.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I mean, is the fear and anxiety from being locked inside or from someone walking into you while taking a legendary dump?

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Was there an unprecedented number of Americans getting trapped in regular bathroom stalls or something? Those button locks sound cruel.

If we aren't at peace whilst shitting then what hope do we even have?

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
OP, I've lived in America my entire life and it's never even once crossed my mind that the lock on the door might not work. I think the only reason this is an issue for you is because you've never seen this kind of a lock before.

Also I can't speak for the other Americans who have no idea what you're talking about. For single person restrooms, button locks are very common. You'll also see a little twisty lock sometimes. People should know what these are, but only the single person restrooms are like this.

OP
OP
Notaskwid

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
I assume OP is talking about these type of locks.

DcyxlNw.jpg

If so, just check the outside knob before closing the door. Crisis averted.
Yeah, those locks exactly. I've seen them here in several public places and assumed it was like that everywhere. Still havent seen these large gaps stalls everyone thinks I'm writing about.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, those locks exactly. I've seen them here in several public places and assumed it was like that everywhere. Still havent seen these large gaps stalls everyone thinks I'm writing about.

Gap stalls are in the public restrooms that have multiple toilets. You will see them. Like if you ever had to go to the bathroom in the airport you would have had to have seen them.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Asking in earnest: is this a US specific issue?

Also no, it's never really been an issue for me. Like 98% of the time I can test the lock somehow. The other 2%, well if someone wants to see my bare ass that's their fault for not knockin'.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't understand why bathrooms suck so bad.

Shitty locks.
No privacy.
No indication from outside if busy or unoccupied.

finfinfin

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
I've always been surprised that America with it's normally overly puritanical approach to nudity and privacy has such poor bathroom construction. Plenty of places a man taking a piss can be seen by anyone walking by if the main unlockable door is opened.
Ah, but consider: if you give them the chance, they'll use the privacy to do something Wrong and Evil, like having a wank, or discussing their salary with a coworker.

Therefore, panopticon via giant fucking gaps and minimalist stalls and dodgy locks, to stop them from forming a union. A gay union, possibly.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I forgot to lock the stall one time at work when I had to take a shit.

So of course a janitor I know swung it open and locked eyes with me....said "oh" and closed it and left the bathroom all together. We never spoke of it again.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
I'm in disbelief that OP seemingly doesn't know you can just lock it without shutting the door and testing if it works.

Even so, just leave it unlocked if you're terrified the entire time you're in there. Unless you're dropping an explosive load of diarrhea or snorting a line of coke off the sink, no one cares if you're in there.

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You don't have to worry about me, OP. I always give a little peek and wave through the stall gaps before I try the door.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, but consider: if you give them the chance, they'll use the privacy to do something Wrong and Evil, like having a wank, or discussing their salary with a coworker.

Therefore, panopticon via giant fucking gaps and minimalist stalls and dodgy locks, to stop them from forming a union. A gay union, possibly.
But what if a little girl sees a guy's dick and decides she wants one? America has not thought this through.

Oct 25, 2017
Because the US is one of the only countries that have such a shitty bathroom stall infrastructure. It makes no sense. Gaps in the doors, walls that are 1 foot above the ground.

Never visited the US until last year. Couldn't believe the gaps round the cubicles in public toilets. It's like they try to encourage weirdos to look in whilst I'm shitting

Miyahon

Nov 8, 2017
I forgot to lock the stall one time at work when I had to take a shit.

So of course a janitor I know swung it open and locked eyes with me....said "oh" and closed it and left the bathroom all together. We never spoke of it again.

I'm surprised he didn't see you through the stall gap or even your feet under the stall. You would think he knows there might be people in there before he entered.

Jul 18, 2018
I was at an airport stall in Colorado; changing my clothes for next leg of trip. Some guy comes to my stall and tries to open it repeatedly (idk why this is a thing with public restrooms). He somehow ends up jamming my lock, I tried from inside but the shit was jammed. I had to crawl under the stall door on nasty ass floor. I got PTSD from that shit, especially when people notice you crawling out since it's a damn airport.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I have other things to worry about:
1) is the TP dispenser to close? My knees hit almost all of them to where I have to sit crooked, to say nothing of when I have to wipe.
2) can we all just agree, as penis users, to lift the goddamned motherfrakking toilet seat when we only pee standing up? I'm not here to wipe your urine off of the seat before I have to go, especially in an emergency.
3) kids that don't get boundaries
4) people not washing their hands
5) the gap in doors and shit where someone can peer in if they really wanted to

The lock is important, yeah, but often you can check if it fits or works before committing to the thing. If it's the only one then make it known it's occupied or try to hold it shut.