• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
gE4G21F.jpg

DMkORNk.jpg

eWwOktw.jpg

store.steampowered.com

The Artful Escape on Steam

A teenage guitar prodigy sets out on a psychedelic journey to inspire his stage persona and confront the legacy of a dead folk legend. Starring voice performances by Michael Johnston, Caroline Kinley, Lena Headey, Jason Schwartzman, Mark Strong, and Carl Weathers.

Comprar The Artful Escape | Xbox

Na véspera de sua primeira apresentação, Francis Vendetti enfrenta o legado de uma falecida lenda do folk e as viagens cósmicas de sua própria imaginação. Francis, um prodígio adolescente da guitarra, parte em uma jornada psicodélica multidimensional para inspirar sua persona.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
huh, just searched, why isn't there an OT?

not enough interest?

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
People are using the review thread as the ot
www.resetera.com

The Artful Escape (Xbox, PC, Xbox Game Pass) - Review Thread

REVIEW THREAD Metacritic & Opencritic: Metacritic (Xbox): 84 Metacritic (PC): 80 OpenCritic: 80 Video Reviews: Written Reviews: VideoGamer - 5 Shacknews - 6 wccftech - 7 IGN - 8 TrueAchievements - 8 XboxEra - 8 Gameskinny - 8 Attack of the Fanboy - 8 GamingBolt - 8...

rafacamolez

Jan 3, 2019
Brazil
Game is beautiful, fun and tells a really cool story. Really recommend it. Gameplay is a bit shallow but it serves its purpose.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Just transfixing. Played 45 minutes and was tired, so turned off until I can just run it at full attention. Beautiful game. And I'm not even a fan of kind of psychedelica or electric guitar solos.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
It's a great experience and it feels like the basic endless runner-like gameplay really gives you a chance to take in the gorgeous visuals. It's also perfect for Game Pass with its short runtime but no filler.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Nah sorry but I dropped it after a couple hours.
It's very very pretty but there's nothing of substance to it

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Played a very short amount but really liking it. It's very very pretty and the music is good.

OP
OP
Rumenapp

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Finished the game and 1000gs. It's way shorter than i was expecting, 3h40 for everything.

It's an amazing experience though.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
The PC Gamepass version has way too much asset loading stutter.

Developers really need to fix this issue before shipping. This is the fourth "bigger" game to come out in a month with severe asset loading stutter on the PC version but not on the console version.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

Developers really need to fix this issue before shipping. This is the fourth "bigger" game to come out in a month with severe asset loading stutter on the PC version but not on the console version.
It's not asset loading, it's UE4 shader compilation stutter. You can fix the Steam version of TAE by adding the preload shaders console command to the engine.ini as it's running with DX11 (doesn't work with all games mind). But it doesn't work with the Game Pass version as it forces DX12.

At least it eventually got fixed with The Ascent. Still waiting for a fix for Psychonauts 2.

The issue is that UE4 is terrible at compiling shaders on the fly, it literally pauses the game while it does it, hence the stutter. Obviously once it has done it once it gets stored in cache so that same area shouldn't stutter again next time you play the game (unless you update your drivers). But there's a simple workaround for this, which is for the game to pre-compile the shaders on the title screen or during loading etc. UE4 games like Gears 5 and BL3 do exactly this. But baffling why most devs don't bother.

Edit: I would love Dictator to do an investigation in to this issue and raise it with Epic (UE4) and MS (DX12/GP) as the shader compilation stuttering is affecting the vast majority of UE4 games coming out at this point.

Last edited:

Bitterman

Banned
Nov 25, 2017

Very disappointing.
I know of Ascent, Psy 2 and Artful...what's the fourth one ?

Oct 27, 2017
Some people will love this game.
Like truly, herald it as one of the years best.
It depends how musically inclined you are.
I think it's one of a kind.

hog

Mar 9, 2021
I got about half way through it last night. It is gorgeous visually, and pretty enjoyable in its writing - though I wish they'd done just a bit more to make it an enjoyable platformer as well. Not asking for Celeste or anything but a tiny bit of challenge would go a long way.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Play it for the audio/visual presentation; the gameplay is very mediocre. I loved it!

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
It's not asset loading, it's UE4 shader compilation stutter. You can fix the Steam version of TAE by adding the preload shaders console command to the engine.ini as it's running with DX11 (doesn't work with all games mind). But it doesn't work with the Game Pass version as it forces DX12.

At least it eventually got fixed with The Ascent. Still waiting for a fix for Psychonauts 2.

The issue is that UE4 is terrible at compiling shaders on the fly, it literally pauses the game while it does it, hence the stutter. Obviously once it has done it once it gets stored in cache so that same area shouldn't stutter again next time you play the game (unless you update your drivers). But there's a simple workaround for this, which is for the game to pre-compile the shaders on the title screen or during loading etc. UE4 games like Gears 5 and BL3 do exactly this. But baffling why most devs don't bother.

Edit: I would love Dictator to do an investigation in to this issue and raise it with Epic (UE4) and MS (DX12/GP) as the shader compilation stuttering is affecting the vast majority of UE4 games coming out at this point.

Don't he Xbox series consoles run games in DX12? Is this just an issue with PC DX12 unreal games?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Don't he Xbox series consoles run games in DX12? Is this just an issue with PC DX12 unreal games?
Shaders are already pre-compiled for all games on console, it's only an issue for PC. Games can't ship for PC with pre-compiled shaders as there are too many variables like which GPU you'll be using etc.

Also it does affect some DX11 UE4 games too. The Outer Worlds and Jedi Fallen Order for example.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I got about half way through it last night. It is gorgeous visually, and pretty enjoyable in its writing - though I wish they'd done just a bit more to make it an enjoyable platformer as well. Not asking for Celeste or anything but a tiny bit of challenge would go a long way.

I really enjoy that it has no difficulty in the actual gameplay. It is all about playfulness and improvisation. And the constant flow.

Well except for the constant stuttering which kind of ruins that last aspect.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Shaders are already pre-compiled for all games on console, it's only an issue for PC. Games can't ship for PC with pre-compiled shaders as there are too many variables like which GPU you'll be using etc.

Also it does affect some DX11 UE4 games too. The Outer Worlds and Jedi Fallen Order for example.

Ah! That is why, makes sense.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is one of those games that actually benefits from a very easy difficulty and basic gameplay because it's designed to be an audiovisual experience and not having to focus much on the gameplay allows you to focus more on those other aspects of the game. My main issue was that the "hub world" exploration and dialogue wasn't always entertaining. The action stages were a delight though, in spite of their low challenge, or maybe in parts thanks to it.

hog

Mar 9, 2021
I really enjoy that it has no difficulty in the actual gameplay. It is all about playfulness and improvisation. And the constant flow.

Well except for the constant stuttering which kind of ruins that last aspect.
Yeah, I totally get the intentions there. It's not even necessarily difficulty I'm after I just want it to feel more fun to play. Like I don't really see much room to improvise as a player, you're just following a line and watching the beautiful backgrounds.

Still enjoy the game so I'm not trying to rip it to shreds - but I think there's definitely room for improvement there.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I totally get the intentions there. It's not even necessarily difficulty I'm after I just want it to feel more fun to play. Like I don't really see much room to improvise as a player, you're just following a line and watching the beautiful backgrounds.

Still enjoy the game so I'm not trying to rip it to shreds - but I think there's definitely room for improvement there.

The improvising is choosing when to "shred". I think you "shred" harder if you shred mid-air.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Yup Yup, it's been on my radar for some time! Will be getting it bit later on. Also happy to hear it's not at all challenging, might be a game my sister could play and enjoy on her Switch. It's been bit rough to find games she can handle.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
Superb game. Play with one finger over the screenshot button and with volume on high. If you have a good TV and sound system/headphones, you're going to be in heaven. I'm jealous of you OLED folks.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Played about 90 minutes this morning and loved it. The style really is one of a kind. One of my only gripes is it's one of the most screenshot-able games I've ever played, but so often there's a button prompt or text box in the way of a perfect shot haha. I wish they saw what they had and put in a photo mode, if only to remove the UI.

Only other real gripe is that the actual rhythm minigame mechanic isn't really fun at all, it never gives you that sensation of playing along to a specific beat, it's more just "match the button prompts". For a game so musically inclined, it feels like the one genuine misstep.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
I loved it. Top 3 for GOTY so far. What a lovely experience and I was fist pumping by the end. Very few games elicit that response in me.

Try not to be put off by the fact there is limited "gameplay" as such. Everything else about it is amazing.

ohitsluca

Oct 29, 2017
What happened to the iOS / Apple Arcade version?

I was going to play it at work on my phone lol but I'm not seeing it anywhere

Snefer

Creative Director at Neon Giant
Verified
Oct 30, 2017

Most devs don't "bother" because it's not an easy issue to both notice in development, and because that requires some pretty savvy tech skills on the engine side, which most developers just don't have. I guess there is a reason why this issue is there in the engine to begin with. A developer like us has zero engine programmers, which does leave you very vulnerable and dependent on others really.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Most devs don't "bother" because it's not an easy issue to both notice in development, and because that requires some pretty savvy tech skills on the engine side, which most developers just don't have. I guess there is a reason why this issue is there in the engine to begin with. A developer like us has zero engine programmers, which does leave you very vulnerable and dependent on others really.
Fair points. Kudos to your team for fixing it in The Ascent though, great work.

RedSonja

Oct 29, 2017
I don't really play that many games anymore, but I absolutely adore this game! Such a delight!

Tommi813

Jul 19, 2020
I found it boring… I was'nt interested in the Adventure sections. The Jump & Run parts are too easy and boring… the jam session Parts are nice.

Great Music and artstyle. 875/1000 GS

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Played thru this yesterday. Cool little experience, some sequences felt a bit repetitive and drawn out though, but I guess it's probably tough when people are already going to criticize the game for barely having gameplay

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I do wish there was more to it than just running and some Simon Says segments in between, but the visual presentation, the audio and soundtrack, and the story are great. Overall, it's an awesome experience. Worth a shot, specially if you have Game Pass.

The Traveller

Oct 31, 2017
I just finished this yesterday, and I thought the game deserved more of a spotlight on it.

It's the perfect 3 hour experience, short and sweet. The game is art in motion, the characters are well written, it's got a great soundtrack and while there isn't much gameplay, the game has a good flow to it.

Highly recommend the game, I wish more games were as focused and told a great story.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
One of the most stunning games I've ever played in terms of audio visual presentation. Every screen is a work of art. I can put the controller down at almost any point and just sit back and appreciate it. I only wish there was more to the gameplay. Like, if you could go crazy with the notes more often or something.

Unexpected GOTY contender for me.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Charming game, but the stutter on PC is annoying. My wife enjoyed it a lot on Xbox One, but said it was a stutter fest at times - I hope I can avoid this on a modern PC. But she still highly recommended it to me for the experience and music alone.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's one of the most absolute memorable games I think I've ever played.

It's Less of a game and more like a physchadelic musical amusement park ride but I enjoyed almost every minute of it.

It is so absolutely wonderful and I highly recommend playing it under the influence

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California
Glad this thread pop up. Have let to finish it, got somewhat bored with it 3/4 of the way into it.

It is very stunning though, and the writing and acting are great.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Does the game have FIGS localization, even if subtitles? I'd love to play this with my s.o. but if there's no Italian or Brazilian Portuguese subs we won't be able to

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently playing this and presentation wise (music, art style, visuals, design, sound, voices, …) it's incredible most of the time. It's vibrant, creative, imaginative and original. A lot of work must have gone into making this.

That being said, i feel there are some missed opportunities when it comes to gameplay. I think more could have been done with music interactivity instead of just holding a button and watching the environment change. Maybe some platforming timed to playing notes or something? As a game, it's quite shallow. As such, it's more of a (memorable and fantastic) gaming experience than a game but i also have the impression this was the developers intention.

While playing, i thought it would be cool to see a proper platformer or adventure game with this kind of presentation.