• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
from the website
LQ3NgEQ.png

that being said, standing will likely be the ideal way to play the game.

also I would recommend looking into Asgard's wrath, stormland, boneworks, beat saber, and super hot. if you like puzzle games Moss, I would say look into Gorn but Gorn is a game that is 28309289032832098320% more fun to play than it ever looks in video lol.
The fact the game has both Shift and Continuous locomotion makes me wonder if theres going to be a sprint button...? Also no virtual jumping I'm guessing.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Basically yeah, as long as your PC can handle it. Oculus Link lets you play PCVR games on your Quest provided you have a VR-compatible rig (you should do if that 980ti is anything to talk about) and are cool with tethered play, with the visual quality being roughly the same as the CV1. With ALVR, you can also play SteamVR and Rift games wirelessly if you have a good local connection.

That sounds amazing. This has sealed it for me then. I like the idea of being able to play the Quest remotely if I want to, without worrying about wires, and then linking up for an increase in fidelity for stuff like ALYX specifically. I'm totally getting a Quest now. Seems like I picked a good time to get on board with VR!

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You should look for Oculus headsets straight on the oculus website. They're normally the cheapest there. As of today there's a 50€ discount too at 399€ for Rift S.

Get Rift S if you don't care about wireless play and have a suitable IPD. It has the better screen and tracking area. Otherwise go for Quest. Afaik there are some caveats to pc play on it with the even lower refresh rate of the controllers for example.
I'm guessing IPD is inter-pupillary distance? How would I go about making sure my pupils are the correct distance? :D

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
That sounds amazing. This has sealed it for me then. I like the idea of being able to play the Quest remotely if I want to, without worrying about wires, and then linking up for an increase in fidelity for stuff like ALYX specifically. I'm totally getting a Quest now. Seems like I picked a good time to get on board with VR!
Yup haha. I love that it's so flexible like this. I mainly use my Quest to play VR games wirelessly but knowing the option to link it up to play stuff like Boneworks and Alyx is there is nice.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if it's already been answered a million times, but I have zero experience with gaming VR in any form and wanted to ask about the Oculus Link. OP says that the Quest isn't as powerful as other headsets but that with the Link you can connect it to a PC. Does this effectively give it more graphical power, sort of like turning a PS4 into a PS4 Pro? I have a 980ti so would definitely be interested in getting the Link if it's giving me more graphical ooomph.

It means the Quest literally becomes a streaming device. Your PC is doing all the rendering. So PCVR quality is going to be as good as your PC can handle.

Oculus Link is only going to get better too. Next month would should get options to allow some more bandwidth (and resolution output). And further down the line, there's the possibility we could get full bandwidth output and it could be fed a raw, spliced signal that even beats the Rift S on latency (Carmack talked about this at OC6 and just tweeted about it again the other day). The Link quality is likely to increase significantly over the next year.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
It means the Quest literally becomes a streaming device. Your PC is doing all the rendering. So PCVR quality is going to be as good as your PC can handle.

Oculus Link is only going to get better too. Next month would should get options to allow some more bandwidth (and resolution output). And further down the line, there's the possibility we could get full bandwidth output and it could be fed a raw, spliced signal that even beats the Rift S on latency (Carmack talked about this at OC6 and just tweeted about it again the other day). The Link quality is likely to increase significantly over the next year.

That sounds really exciting. The only thing holds me back from going with the quest over the rift s is the comfortability factory. Needing to spend even more money to offset neck issues sounds a bit annoying. What's the cheapest fix for that?

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Oculus Link is only going to get better too. Next month would should get options to allow some more bandwidth (and resolution output). And further down the line, there's the possibility we could get full bandwidth output and it could be fed a raw, spliced signal that even beats the Rift S on latency

Do you have any sources on the higher bandwidth / resolution info? I'd like to read more into that.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Do you have any sources on the higher bandwidth / resolution info? I'd like to read more into that.

And on Reddit, when the Oculus PC beta client broke the Link, it seemed to be referring to options in FW12 that related to resolution and stuff. So there's reason to think we're getting some options next month.

The below is the grander vision stuff:

You'd really need to watch Carmack's OC6 keynote to see what he's talking about. He geeks out on the possibilities.

That sounds really exciting. The only thing holds me back from going with the quest over the rift s is the comfortability factory. Needing to spend even more money to offset neck issues sounds a bit annoying. What's the cheapest fix for that?

The Quest reddit would probably be your best resource. I picked up the DAS when the MS Outlet store was clearancing them for 75.00. That and a counter-weight is awesome. But they're discontinued and prices have skyrocketed. So it's not really a great solution anymore.

I've seen a lot of positive mentions about StudioForm's Deluxe strap (19.95), but I've not tried it.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
How much better is the Quest and Rift - S compared to the CV1. I was an early adopter on the CV1 and sold it because the resolution was too low for me.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Sure. It's not actually talking about PC gaming, though. It's if you want to increase the render resolution on your Quest games. Downsides are it'll chew more battery and you'll drop frames if you're pushing it beyond what Quest can handle.

I actually did the opposite and dropped the resolution for stuff like Rec Room.

Didn't help.

How much better is the Quest and Rift - S compared to the CV1. I was an early adopter on the CV1 and sold it because the resolution was too low for me.

Rift S is noticeably sharper but lacks the contrast of the old CV1. Quest about matches it in that'd regard while also being moderately sharper.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
This is about what to expect, compare the bottom two pictures - Vive and Oculus Rift CV1 were the same resolution, Samsung Odyssey and Quest are the same resolution (Rift S is a little lower res than Quest/Odyssey, but since it has full RGB subpixels, certain things can have more clarity, especially text).
azCSxT6.jpg

(note, for anyone that cares that's the old Pimax 8K, the 8K+ and 8KX that are on their way are an order of magnitude sharper)

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL

And on Reddit, when the Oculus PC beta client broke the Link, it seemed to be referring to options in FW12 that related to resolution and stuff. So there's reason to think we're getting some options next month.

You'd really need to watch Carmack's OC6 keynote to see what he's talking about. He geeks out on the possibilities.

The Quest reddit would probably be your best resource. I picked up the DAS when the MS Outlet store was clearancing them for 75.00. That and a counter-weight is awesome. But they're discontinued and prices have skyrocketed. So it's not really a great solution anymore.

I've seen a lot of positive mentions about StudioForm's Deluxe strap (19.95), but I've not tried it.

Thanks for.this. The studio form kit sounds like a nice solution with the top part and counterweight, plus it doesn't look like a monster.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I think I am sold on the quest now. So much going back and forth but I feel like the ability to just play the native version of beat saber wireless and also watch videos wireless kind of seals the deal for me. I'd have to lengthen my cable to hopefully make it to my comfy chair to watch videos in. The only worry is the link having increasing the cpu demands. I am running an oc'd i5-6600k and a 1660ti at the moment. I plan to upgrade my CPU next year and I am sure the link will get better on updates, so I guess I shouldn't sorry about that.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

Awesome thanks for this I'll check the keynote out when I get chance.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, the big thing vr fans dont seem to realize is the headset is literally only half the problem when it comes to expenses because a good pc that can actually even play VR costs well over a grand prebuilt and still more expensive than the headsets themselves when assembled by yourself(which comes with an equivalent labor tax)

This game is literally exclusive to the rich

So like Doom, Quake, Crysis 1... not exactly the first game that it's expensive, hardware wise.

Laurel_McFang

Feb 17, 2019
can anyone recommend the Quest? I like what I've seen, but have yet to find a VR Experience that was actually cool.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
It's funny. I wanted the quest when it first came out because of the wireless freedom and video watching but thought I'd rather upgrade my video card and eventually get the rift s. Now, I've done a full circle back to the quest thanks to the link and upgrades.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
can anyone recommend the Quest? I like what I've seen, but have yet to find a VR Experience that was actually cool.
I love mine. Been playing Half Life on it. Beat Saber is fantastic. Superhot is fantastic. Red Matter was great, and really highlights how much the right dev can push the hardware to deliver detailed and impressive looking environments. Not having a tether is awesome, and going back and forth between the cross buy titles I have to compare PC Quest Link with native on the Quest, has only reminded me of that. Zero setup. Short load times. Throw it on and you're in another world in moments. It's fabulous.

I'm sure the official link cable will be an order of magnitude better than the heavy 3m cable I'm currently using, but for now I can't see myself playing Quest compatible stuff on the PC, even with the bump in graphics (and I've got an RTX 2080 Ti, so that gap is significant). I'll happily play the PC exclusive stuff that way though.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
So just to make 100% absolutely clear I'm understanding things right.

If I get a Quest I can play the standalone Quest games.
Then when the Link Cable comes along I can play things like Skyrim VR, Doom VFR, Fallout 4 VR, Asgard's Wrath, No Mans Sky, etc by hooking the Quest into my PC with the link cable, yes?

I don't think the official cable is out yet is it? But you can currently get some third party ones?

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

Then when the Link Cable comes along I can play things like Skyrim VR, Doom VFR, Fallout 4 VR, Asgard's Wrath, No Mans Sky, etc by hooking the Quest into my PC with the link cable, yes?

I don't think the official cable is out yet is it? But you can currently get some third party ones?
Correct

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

Yes. They're only going to run as well as your PC can run them, though.

There are some generic cables that work. They're pretty thick, though, and require an extension if you want to go beyond 3m. If you're serious about using this for room-scale, there's a lot to be said for getting the official cable (which is fiber and a lot less intrusive).

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, the big thing vr fans dont seem to realize is the headset is literally only half the problem when it comes to expenses because a good pc that can actually even play VR costs well over a grand prebuilt and still more expensive than the headsets themselves when assembled by yourself(which comes with an equivalent labor tax)

This game is literally exclusive to the rich

Like all next-gen games? I don't see this as a good thing, but that's just what happens with new technologies. It will be democratized in the future and people will be playing HL Alyx on their $99 headsets.

The same way you can play Half Life 2 on a toaster these days, but on release you probably had to upgrade/own a relatively expensive setup to enjoy the fancy physics.

I love mine. Been playing Half Life on it. Beat Saber is fantastic. Superhot is fantastic. Red Matter was great, and really highlights how much the right dev can push the hardware to deliver detailed and impressive looking environments. Not having a tether is awesome, and going back and forth between the cross buy titles I have to compare PC Quest Link with native on the Quest, has only reminded me of that. Zero setup. Short load times. Throw it on and you're in another world in moments. It's fabulous.

I'm sure the official link cable will be an order of magnitude better than the heavy 3m cable I'm currently using, but for now I can't see myself playing Quest compatible stuff on the PC, even with the bump in graphics (and I've got an RTX 2080 Ti, so that gap is significant). I'll happily play the PC exclusive stuff that way though.

How are you playing Half Life in VR? Would love a step by step.. :)

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Like all next-gen games? I don't see this as a good thing, but that's just what happens with new technologies. It will be democratized in the future and people will be playing HL Alyx on their $99 headsets.

The same way you can play Half Life 2 on a toaster these days, but on release you probably had to upgrade/own a relatively expensive setup to enjoy the fancy physics.

How are you playing Half Life in VR? Would love a step by step.. :)
You need to own the original on Steam (IE, the non source version). You enable developer mode on your headset through the oculus app (requires creating a dev account on Oculus's website). Then you connect your headset to PC and confirm to allow it to connect in dev mode inside the headset. Next you install sidequest and find Lamdba 1 vr, you use sidequest to install it, copy your HL1 files over and then it shows up in your library under 'Unknown Sources'.

More deets here: https://www.lambda1vr.com/

Same dev did a Quake engine port, but it's not quite as well suited to VR.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You need to own the original on Steam (IE, the non source version). You enable developer mode on your headset through the oculus app (requires creating a dev account on Oculus's website). Then you connect your headset to PC and confirm to allow it to connect in dev mode inside the headset. Next you install sidequest and find Lamdba 1 vr, you use sidequest to install it, copy your HL1 files over and then it shows up in your library under 'Unknown Sources'.

More deets here: https://www.lambda1vr.com/

Same dev did a Quake engine port, but it's not quite as well suited to VR.

Thanks, looks like it's Oculus/Quest only?

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm looking to get a MacBook Pro or IMac with discrete video. Already have a quest is that powerful enough to run PC VR? In boot camp of course.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm looking to get a MacBook Pro or IMac with discrete video. Already have a quest is that powerful enough to run PC VR? In boot camp of course.

Most macbooks including pro youd need an egpu.

Just wanted to be another to add to this thread that I have a quest and love it. The fact that i can just throw it in a bag and carry it to a friends and it just works right away is a huge huge factor in that.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most macbooks including pro youd need an egpu.

Just wanted to be another to add to this thread that I have a quest and love it. The fact that i can just throw it in a bag and carry it to a friends and it just works right away is a huge huge factor in that.

I love it too! Would be awesome if Valve ported it directly to Quest without needing to mess with cables but why would they ever do that when they're trying to sell more VIVEs?

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I love it too! Would be awesome if Valve ported it directly to Quest without needing to mess with cables but why would they ever do that when they're trying to sell more VIVEs?

We're a long ways off before we can get something like HL:A running on a SoC.

If you don't want the cables, Virtual Desktop is actually real solid these days and I'd recommend it to anyone with a good local network. Maybe by the time HL:A comes out, we could be hearing about an official wireless Link solution, too.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017

whats weird is i have a switch, but prefer basically 0 games on the switch over xbox/ps4. I like having my big 4ktv with freesync, not a tiny little screen. I dont want to play the witcher 3 on the go, I want to play it where I can pixel count like a crazy person.

But then i hear about any game NOT on quest and i think THATS MADNESS WHY WOULD YOU WANT CABLES??

Something about being able to use pretty much any room you have, weirdly shaped or not, and create a fully explorable quest enviroment, is just awesome. Its wildly shareable too. Someone puts it on not knowing what to do and they just "get" it.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

I love my Quest but it would struggle. Alyx would need like heavy heavy downgrades to work. Doubly so considering all the physics.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Who here uses the Valve Index? How does it compare to the Oculus Rift CV1? I may have used my Ridt for a max of 5 hours before boxing it up. The field of view and screen effect were to bad and I never had the touch controllers or roomscale stuff.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This is good info, thanks.

This might be the game to get me in, but I want to only dive into VR once the IQ is good enough for me to not mind it. My only experience has been Gear VR and like 10 mins of PSVR, which both had a screen door effect. I'm assuming it will be like 3 years out where we have VR solutions with excellent IQ and high refresh rate?
IQ has been better than "good enough" for the last three years.

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This is about what to expect, compare the bottom two pictures - Vive and Oculus Rift CV1 were the same resolution, Samsung Odyssey and Quest are the same resolution (Rift S is a little lower res than Quest/Odyssey, but since it has full RGB subpixels, certain things can have more clarity, especially text).
azCSxT6.jpg

(note, for anyone that cares that's the old Pimax 8K, the 8K+ and 8KX that are on their way are an order of magnitude sharper)

Is that with supersampling and the render target scale tweak?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
So I don't think I've seen this posted elsewhere... just getting off a session of beat saber on my quest...

DO NO THROW AWAY THE PAPER LENS COVER OR BOX TO YOUR QUEST!

the paper lens cover is one of the easiest things to use to protect your lens, and the box works as a solid carrying case if you don't want to spend money for one.

plus you can put the top under it and use it as a place to set the quest to charge :P

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Yes. They're only going to run as well as your PC can run them, though.

There are some generic cables that work. They're pretty thick, though, and require an extension if you want to go beyond 3m. If you're serious about using this for room-scale, there's a lot to be said for getting the official cable (which is fiber and a lot less intrusive).
My PC should do pretty well, I've got a 1080ti, so will do well enough.

I certainly intend to grab the official cable when it's out, just a case of waiting for it. If it's before Christmas then perfect, if not I'll need to take a look at the generic cables to tide me over.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Well I ended up getting the Quest. Just walked in the door with it. My wife was rolling her eyes the entire time I was talking with one of the people at Best Buy about it. Turns out he has the Original Rift and his roommate has the Quest and he likes it a lot. I kept asking about the Rift S and the Quest and he also was going back and forth on the merits if each. He said the Quest seemed a little better but it is a little heavier as well. He then went on to tell me that they are in their "holiday buying time frame" so I have until January 14th or so to return if I don't like it.

He then went on to say that the Rift S will be on sale on Friday ($350.00) and that it might not be a bad Ideal to buy that as well on Friday and test both and return one of them. This shocked me, but like I mentioned he also said to use it until the 14th and return if I was not happy. I ordered a USB 3.1 PCIe Adapter for my PC and I should have that on Wednesday so come Friday I can test the Rift S if I decide to also buy that to test.

To my surprise when I was about to buy it my wife said to buy the 128gb version because I would have more memory...I was planning on the 64gb + the 2 year warranty but she insisted to get the bigger memory one with the Warranty so that is what I ended up with. Going to set it up shortly and will report back on my findings.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Well I ended up getting the Quest. Just walked in the door with it. My wife was rolling her eyes the entire time I was talking with one of the people at Best Buy about it. Turns out he has the Original Rift and his roommate has the Quest and he likes it a lot. I kept asking about the Rift S and the Quest and he also was going back and forth on the merits if each. He said the Quest seemed a little better but it is a little heavier as well. He then went on to tell me that they are in their "holiday buying time frame" so I have until January 14th or so to return if I don't like it.

He then went on to say that the Rift S will be on sale on Friday ($350.00) and that it might not be a bad Ideal to buy that as well on Friday and test both and return one of them. This shocked me, but like I mentioned he also said to use it until the 14th and return if I was not happy. I ordered a USB 3.1 PCIe Adapter for my PC and I should have that on Wednesday so come Friday I can test the Rift S if I decide to also buy that to test.

To my surprise when I was about to buy it my wife said to buy the 128gb version because I would have more memory...I was planning on the 64gb + the 2 year warranty but she insisted to get the bigger memory one with the Warranty so that is what I ended up with. Going to set it up shortly and will report back on my findings.
I will just mention the beat saber demo is okay but not great. Beat saber can take a bit to click for people usually around the time they are able to do hard.
but either way, you should def try to get your wife to play beat saber. pretty much everyone loves that one :P

Oct 25, 2017
... if you live in the US.

Here, Quest/RiftS are almost 600e, and Samsung Odyssey+ and many other Windows MR headsets are not imported and put on shelves.
Rift S is 410€ on Amazon UK and 450€ were I Iive.
This 600€ figure keeps popping up in the HL:A threads. In what country do they charge so much for a Rift?

Last edited:

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
how good are games at letting you know if they need room scale or not before buying them? i don't have the space for it and would only be able to play things cockpit

Steam tells you the space requirement for games in the specs for VR games:

5sOPPOQ.jpg

Just to clarify, roomscale doesn't mean you have to move around the room to play a game. Roomscale means that the game is built to accomodate the ability to walk around the room into the design consideration. Example, things like the game being able to compensate if a player physically walks through a wall in game, as that's something the game only has to account for if the game supports "room scale."

Room scale simply means that you are allowed to walk around the room during the game, not that you need to walk around the room during a game. Room scale is when tracking will watch and account for you wherever you are in your room. The bigger your room is, the more you can walk. The smaller your room is, the less you can walk. Room scale shrinks and grows depending on how big your room is.

If a game actually requires you walk around the room to play, it will list outright the dimensions of the playspace required. Usually something like "requires 5'x5' space" in the specs.

Very, very few games are like that.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Steam tells you the space requirement for games in the specs for VR games:

5sOPPOQ.jpg

Just to clarify, roomscale doesn't mean you have to move around the room to play a game. Roomscale means that the game is built to accomodate the ability to walk around the room into the design consideration. Example, things like the game being able to compensate if a player physically walks through a wall in game, as that's something the game only has to account for if the game supports "room scale."

Room scale simply means that you are allowed to walk around the room during the game, not that you need to walk around the room during a game. Room scale is when tracking will watch and account for you wherever you are in your room. The bigger your room is, the more you can walk. The smaller your room is, the less you can walk. Room scale shrinks and grows depending on how big your room is.

If a game actually requires you walk around the room to play, it will list outright the dimensions of the playspace required. Usually something like "requires 5'x5' space" in the specs.

Very, very few games are like that.
this is really helpful, thank you

Nov 8, 2017
Wouldn't the 72/80hz of the Quest/rift s be a problem / impact more people who are vulnerable to motion sickness?

Like I play on a monitor at higher refresh than that most of the time these days haha.