• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
So the resolution and screen on the Quest is better than the S, but the refresh rate is better on the S, is that right?
Here is another thing that needs to be explained. The resolution of the Quest is set up as OLED pentile where the Rift S is full RGB subpixels. That means less screen door effect and a decently more legible image for fine detail for the Rift S. Pentile basically is less subpixels so even though the theoretical pixel count is higher, the lower amount of subpixels has a negative effect on image quality.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
If I go with the Quest...should I go for the 64gb or 128gb version? There is a $100 price difference, but I also don't want to be deleting games all the time due to the non-expandable memory.
64gb is going to be fine for most people.
most of the games are under 1gb.
custom beat saber songs take up like 5mb per song on average
aka unless you are buying everything it shouldn't be an issue game wise.

now if you want to fill it up with video that is another story.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here is another thing that needs to be explained. The resolution of the Quest is set up as OLED pentile where the Rift S is full RGB subpixels. That means less screen door effect and a decently more legible image for fine detail for the Rift S. Pentile basically is less subpixels so even though the theoretical pixel count is higher, the lower amount of subpixels has a negative effect on image quality.

Thing that needs to be explained regarding your explanation: the switch to pentile screens from RGB stripes was not arbitrary. There is considerable debate about whether or not pentile screens are superior to RGB stripes because of jailbarring. RGB stripes, when viewing solid colors, due to linear subpixel scatter, can create vertical bands of "no color". Example, if you display solid red, with absolutely no green or blue, the shape of an RGB striped screen is such that you wind up with uninterrupted bands of red lines running down, with two "black" uninterrupted lines running parallel. This is called jailbarring, because it resembles a the bars of a jail.

Early VR headsets used RGB stripes, then the majority switched to pentile screens to eliminate jailbarring. Pentile screens use a more natural subpixel scatter, it's not linear bands. As such, pentile screens are not subject to jailbarring.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Since the PC building thread is slow I will ask this here. I have a beefy PC, but it has been sometime since I put this rig together. I know my PC does not have the USB 3.0 to support the RIft S, but I am looking at a add-in card. But my question to you all since I have been out of it, how good would my rig (specs below) run VR games? Again, I am not here to gloat about my Rig, I am honestly a noob to the requirements and what is needed for a good vr experience.

CPU: I7-3930k OC to 4.7 GHZ - Water Cooled
GPU: 2xTitan X Pascal in SLI, OC to 2012 - Water Cooled
Memory: 16 GB DDR3 Ram
Mobo: Rampage IV Extreme x79
Storage: 512gb SSD + 2 2TB HDD

Also would buying this (linked) USB 3.0/Type C add-in card work with my motherboard? Right now when I run the Oculus Compatibility tool it says my Rig is fine except no USB 3.0.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
It seems a PC is basically a requirement for this game?
I have been a Mac user for around 15 years. I am totally lost as to where to start.

Any pointers as to what hardware to buy would be most appreciated.
A laptop would be ideal. Would a Surface be sufficient? Am I going to need beefier hardware?

I don't really care about the cost but it would be nice to have options.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Thing that needs to be explained regarding your explanation: the switch to pentile screens from RGB stripes was not arbitrary. There is considerable debate about whether or not pentile screens are superior to RGB stripes because of jailbarring. RGB stripes, when viewing solid colors, due to linear subpixel scatter, can create vertical bands of "no color". Example, if you display solid red, with absolutely no green or blue, the shape of an RGB striped screen is such that you wind up with uninterrupted bands of red lines running down, with two "black" uninterrupted lines running parallel. This is called jailbarring, because it resembles a the bars of a jail.

Early VR headsets used RGB stripes, then the majority switched to pentile screens to eliminate jailbarring. Pentile screens use a more natural subpixel scatter, it's not linear bands. As such, pentile screens are not subject to jailbarring.
Interesting to know! Why have so many of the recent headsets switched back to full RGB strip structure then? What made them redirect? Not a challenge, just genuinely curious.

RBG was used in The Rift S, The Vive Cosmos and The Valve Index, supposedly the findings were that it reduced screen door effect.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the cheapest way to have a great experience in Alyx if you also have no PC at all?
Yeah, the big thing vr fans dont seem to realize is the headset is literally only half the problem when it comes to expenses because a good pc that can actually even play VR costs well over a grand prebuilt and still more expensive than the headsets themselves when assembled by yourself(which comes with an equivalent labor tax)

This game is literally exclusive to the rich

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the big thing vr fans dont seem to realize is the headset is literally only half the problem when it comes to expenses because a good pc that can actually even play VR costs well over a grand prebuilt and still more expensive than the headsets themselves when assembled by yourself(which comes with an equivalent labor tax)

This game is literally exclusive to the rich

It does not take well over a grand to buy a computer that can run half life Alyx. My dad got one on black friday 3 years ago with the VR headset for $500.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It seems a PC is basically a requirement for this game?
I have been a Mac user for around 15 years. I am totally lost as to where to start.

Any pointers as to what hardware to buy would be most appreciated.
A laptop would be ideal. Would a Surface be sufficient? Am I going to need beefier hardware?

I don't really care about the cost but it would be nice to have options.

In a similar boat. I'm hoping to add an external GPU to a high end MBP or iMac setup and run Windows in boot camp.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It does not take well over a grand to buy a computer that can run half life Alyx. My dad got one on black friday 3 years ago with the VR headset for $500.
Without vr? Sure, itd run fine

But VR requires highend hardware to run, you cant halfass it like you can with normal games unless youre ready to be sick

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Just noticed this thread - vestan with a new fancy avatar too!

I just want to get behind the push of the Oculus Quest, it is a phenomenal headset. In the past I've had the Vive and PSVR and I've sold both but I've held onto the Quest for some time now and I'm really enjoying the games I've been playing. From Vader Immortal to Beat Saber there really feels like there's a game for everyone. Next on my list of VR titles are Stormland and Asgard's Wrath.

The caveat with the Quest is that you do need a USB 3.0 cable and an available USB 3 port in your PC to connect it to PCVR titles such as those on the Oculus Store and SteamVR - but it works amazingly when you have the right cable all set up. Oculus only recently released the software to allow this (Oculus Link) and I'm still surprised every night I play it, just how amazing it feels and looks. I had been using Virtual Desktop to stream my PC wirelessly to my Quest to play some PCVR titles but the latency difference between that and the Link is huge - the Link is so so smooth in comparison.

If you think you'll never want to play wirelessly, I would probably suggest getting the Rift S, but if you want to try VR wirelessly and then have that tethered option for PCVR titles - then go with the Quest, it is the way I would recommend. I also think both the Rift S and Quest are amazing value for money, there's likely some deals this time of year too.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...it literally meets the specs for Half Life Alyx.
What does? What? Theres no specific examples of anything in our conversation for you to be referring to lmao???

Unless you mean Quest, which would be weird to bring up Link and connecting to higher end pcs when talking about a cheap way to play something.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What does? What? Theres no specific examples of anything in our conversation for you to be referring to lmao???

Unless you mean Quest, which would be weird to bring up Link and connecting to higher end pcs when talking about a cheap way to play something.

...the prebuilt computer that came with a windows VR headset my father bought 3 years ago on black friday. The sub-$500 one.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Just noticed this thread - vestan with a new fancy avatar too!

I just want to get behind the push of the Oculus Quest, it is a phenomenal headset. In the past I've had the Vive and PSVR and I've sold both but I've held onto the Quest for some time now and I'm really enjoying the games I've been playing. From Vader Immortal to Beat Saber there really feels like there's a game for everyone. Next on my list of VR titles are Stormland and Asgard's Wrath.

The caveat with the Quest is that you do need a USB 3.0 cable and an available USB 3 port in your PC to connect it to PCVR titles such as those on the Oculus Store and SteamVR - but it works amazingly when you have the right cable all set up. Oculus only recently released the software to allow this (Oculus Link) and I'm still surprised every night I play it, just how amazing it feels and looks. I had been using Virtual Desktop to stream my PC wirelessly to my Quest to play some PCVR titles but the latency difference between that and the Link is huge - the Link is so so smooth in comparison.

If you think you'll never want to play wirelessly, I would probably suggest getting the Rift S, but if you want to try VR wirelessly and then have that tethered option for PCVR titles - then go with the Quest, it is the way I would recommend. I also think both the Rift S and Quest are amazing value for money, there's likely some deals this time of year too.
Yeah honestly my big reasoning for going for the Quest is mainly the fact that being able to play a bunch of VR games untethered is amazing. To me, this IS the future. The fact that it can play HL: Alyx is the cherry on top really. If you have sufficient space and are not interested in playing VR untethered then I would absolutely recommend the Rift S especially with the Black Friday deals coming up. I'm really curious to see if the big bad $80 official Oculus Link Cable coming out soon will make any major difference when opting to go down that Quest + Link route. In my experience, I haven't run into any latency issues at al. It's more than servicable imo and still lets me play Beat Saber or SUPERHOT whenever I want to wail around like an idiot with no wires in my way.

Quest easily is the most flexible VR option available even if that comes with its own compromises. The fact that I can choose to play games untethered but then switch it up to PCVR whenever I want is simply amazing.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Yeah honestly my big reasoning for going for the Quest is mainly the fact that being able to play a bunch of VR games untethered is amazing. To me, this IS the future. The fact that it can play HL: Alyx is the cherry on top really. If you have sufficient space and are not interested in playing VR untethered then I would absolutely recommend the Rift S especially with the Black Friday deals coming up. I'm really curious to see if the big bad $80 official Oculus Link Cable coming out soon will make any major difference when opting to go down that Quest + Link route. In my experience, I haven't run into any latency issues at al. It's more than servicable imo and still lets me play Beat Saber or SUPERHOT whenever I want to wail around like an idiot with no wires in my way.

Quest easily is the most flexible VR option available even if that comes with its own compromises. The fact that I can choose to play games untethered but then switch it up to PCVR whenever I want is simply amazing.
I get zero latency on the Link, it was just using the VirtualDesktop wireless streaming of VR from PC that gave me latency - the link seems to work perfectly. I agree about the big bad Oculus Link cable too - how much of a difference is that going to make?

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15

You can get wireless kits for all the other headsets.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious how much space you need in general for VR? My PC etc is in my bedroom which is really tight for space and tbh I tend to play games whilst lying in bed lol. Partly because there's barely room for a chair.

I'm screwed arent I?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious how much space you need in general for VR? My PC etc is in my bedroom which is really tight for space and tbh I tend to play games whilst lying in bed lol. Partly because there's barely room for a chair.

I'm screwed arent I?
It depends on the game.

with the inside out tracking that the rift or WMR headsets use you don't need any lighthouses set up so if the game supports sitting mode you just need the area around your chair (which half life does support that)

that being said most of my favorite VR experiences require around a 5'x5' space so you can move around some, and for a number of them more room would be ideal. You will hit something playing Gorn without more room :P

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so torn on what to do here.. I'm seriously debating picking up a headset since the Alyx announcement has pushed me over the edge for getting one. And I've narrowed it down to an Oculus set, since Index is just way out of my price range.

But I cannot for the life of me decide between Rift S and Quest (based on what I've read online).

Rift S seems to have better image quality, higher refresh rate and it's cheaper (can get it for about £60 less). But it's tethered and won't be getting full hand + finger tracking that Oculus announced for 2020, and it has poor black levels.

Quest has untethered freedom if I so wish, OLED black levels, finger tracking in 2020 and seems to be the more supported device going forward. But Link isn't quite as good as native and it's more expensive.

Someone help please!

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
It depends on the game.

with the inside out tracking that the rift or WMR headsets use you don't need any lighthouses set up so if the game supports sitting mode you just need the area around your chair (which half life does support that)

that being said most of my favorite VR experiences require around a 5'x5' space so you can move around some, and for a number of them more room would be ideal. You will hit something playing Gorn without more room :P
Thank you.

Glad to hear HL supports the sitting mode as that's the only game I'm interested in currently.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so torn on what to do here.. I'm seriously debating picking up a headset since the Alyx announcement has pushed me over the edge for getting one. And I've narrowed it down to an Oculus set, since Index is just way out of my price range.

But I cannot for the life of me decide between Rift S and Quest (based on what I've read online).

Rift S seems to have better image quality, higher refresh rate and it's cheaper (can get it for about £60 less). But it's tethered and won't be getting full hand + finger tracking that Oculus announced for 2020, and it has poor black levels.

Quest has untethered freedom if I so wish, OLED black levels, finger tracking in 2020 and seems to be the more supported device going forward. But Link isn't quite as good as native and it's more expensive.

Someone help please!
It really boils down to how much the stand along games the quest offers interest you.
For me being able to take beat saber and super hot to a friends or family place and just have them play it without setting up anything else including a computer is great and well worth the extra money.

But if you have no plans to do so, and just plan to leave it tethered anyways I would lean towards the rift. It's cheaper and better balanced as the quest can put strain on your neck after an hour or two due to the extra weight on the front.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, I just realised (genius...) that it's cheaper to buy Oculus from their official store... At least if you live in Poland, lol.

So now I must decide, like poster above I see, if I want Rift S or Quest. The Link really changed everything, heh. I have a good PC and I want to play many PC titles but the colors on Rift S look worse IMO...

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you.

Glad to hear HL supports the sitting mode as that's the only game I'm interested in currently.
from the website
LQ3NgEQ.png

that being said, standing will likely be the ideal way to play the game.

also I would recommend looking into Asgard's wrath, stormland, boneworks, beat saber, and super hot. if you like puzzle games Moss, I would say look into Gorn but Gorn is a game that is 28309289032832098320% more fun to play than it ever looks in video lol.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I'm screwed arent I?

A portion of VR games requires you to have sufficient rooms (eg SUPERHOT, Dance Central, and Beat Saber) but there are also titles that doesn't require room scale. Half-Life Alyx can be play seated

XqNXdLi.jpg

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
A portion of VR games requires you to have sufficient rooms (eg SUPERHOT, Dance Central, and Beat Saber) but there are also titles that doesn't require room scale. Half-Life Alyx can be play seated
I will note if you turn off walls Beat Saber is technically fully playable in sitting. It just tires out your arms really really quickly :P

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It really boils down to how much the stand along games the quest offers interest you.
For me being able to take beat saber and super hot to a friends or family place and just have them play it without setting up anything else including a computer is great and well worth the extra money.

What about the lower quality and the 72hz refresh? Are they not too significant a drawback?

(Being able to take it to friends and family does sound awesome).

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
You can get wireless kits for all the other headsets.
The HTC Vive's Wireless Adapter is $300, the VIVE itself is $399 if you get it refurbished. At that point you might as well save up for the Index. For most of my VR experience I don't want to have to bother with Lighthouses or Base Stations which is why I've come to realize the Vive isn't for me, however in my case, I can't really justify going for the Rift S when the flexibility of the Quest makes it a way more robust package for me. Being able to go to my mates house and let him and his family mess around with it only to be able to come back home, link it up to my PC and play through all the PCVR games I own is something no other VR HMD on the market at the moment can match. It's like the Switch in that regard.

The standalone nature of the Quest is a big part of why I love it so much and I'm not the only person here that thinks so. If this doesn't interest you at all then like others have said, the Rift S and the Odyssey+ especially are way up your alley.

VR is cool in that there's so many options available to you. With HL: Alyx on the horizon and a lot more interest in VR rekindled, it's cool to see people question whether they should go for X Headset or Y Headset according to their situation and needs.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
What about the lower quality and the 72hz refresh? Are they not too significant a drawback?

(Being able to take it to friends and family does sound awesome).
I personally haven't played around with enough of the newer headsets to realize any difference between the quest quality and the other headsets. I'm not always the best person to notice such things either though :P

I'm sure there's a difference, but I don't think it's super significant over the rift s. It looks great just over virtual desktop in most games. Once I get my new computer I will get to try out the link. and there are already talks of the quality of the link getting better later as they eventually want to push an update that utilizes 3.1 ports instead of 3.0.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
The HTC Vive's Wireless Adapter is $300, the VIVE itself is $399 if you get it refurbished. At that point you might as well save up for the Index. For most of my VR experience I don't want to have to bother with Lighthouses or Base Stations which is why I've come to realize the Vive isn't for me, however in my case, I can't really justify going for the Rift S when the flexibility of the Quest makes it a way more robust package for me. Being able to go to my mates house and let him and his family mess around with it only to be able to come back home, link it up to my PC and play through all the PCVR games I own is something no other VR HMD on the market at the moment can match. It's like the Switch in that regard.

The standalone nature of the Quest is a big part of why I love it so much and I'm not the only person here that thinks so. If this doesn't interest you at all then like others have said, the Rift S and the Odyssey+ especially are way up your alley.

VR is cool in that there's so many options available to you. With HL: Alyx on the horizon and a lot more interest in VR rekindled, it's cool to see people question whether they should go for X Headset or Y Headset according to their situation and needs.

Sure but with the Quest you are only playing the Quest titles wireless. If you want to play the big stuff like Alyx or Boneworks wireless you'd have to get a kit anyway.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Sure but with the Quest you are only playing the Quest titles wireless. If you want to play the big stuff like Alyx or Boneworks wireless you'd have to get a kit anyway.
The $20 virtual desktop app (or is it $25) works quite well for me. But you need a good router with 5.0 ghz to work properly with it.
I've played Gorn, Star trek, climbey, raw data, and a few others without issues.

DuppoloGAF

Oct 28, 2017
how does vvirtual desktop works? you play vr games over virtual desktop as vr games or in a flat screen on the virtual desktop? also: how much latency with a 1 gb connection?

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
If you want to play the big stuff like Alyx or Boneworks wireless you'd have to get a kit anyway.
That's fair, but Quest + Virtual Desktop is a decent alternative (though not one I'm fond of myself). In my experience, I'm cool with playing HL: Alyx and Boneworks tethered , no sweat off my back as I can always just return to the untethered expereince whenever I want. WMR and the Rift S don't offer nearly the same amount of flexibility which is why I personally couldn't really recommend them, despite the various compromises the Quest makes for such an experience.

XNihili

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
The $20 virtual desktop app (or is it $25) works quite well for me. But you need a good router with 5.0 ghz to work properly with it.
I've played Gorn, Star trek, climbey, raw data, and a few others without issues.
I know some people have tried Oculus quest with Virtual Desktop and Shadow and seemed happy with it.
If it's good enough, that could be the cheapest way to play Half Life Alyx as you'll need :
- 1 oculus quest
- Virtual Desktop (with its VR component)
- Half Life Alyx
- 1 month of Shadow subscription
Of course you need to have a good Internet connection.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So umm, which one is better at the moment, the Rift S or the Quest? In Finland (at the time of writing this) they're both priced at 479€. I'm leaning towards the Rift S because of the slightly higher refresh rate, but is that a deal breaker for a first time VR experiencer, I don't know. Hmm.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Is there any real point in going for the 128GB Quest over the 64GB one when it's a £100 price difference?

Isn't it just a link cable you need for the Quest to play things like Alyx if you've already got a gaming PC and the cable is pretty cheap?

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know I'm the residential VR-parade pisser but the platform honestly feels like what AVGN will make videos about in 10 years time in the same way he has covered all the other clunky retro consoles, and their odd respective add-ons, of yesteryear.

The last few pages boggle the mind in terms of how many options there are available and what not.

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know I'm the residential VR-parade pisser but the platform honestly feels like what AVGN will make videos about in 10 years time in the same way he has covered all the other clunky retro consoles, and their odd respective add-ons, of yesteryear.

The last few pages boggle the mind in terms of how many options there are available and what not.
It certainly can seem convoluted for someone not familiar with what's going on, it's also an industry that's quickly evolving so it can be hard to keep up and with every company focusing on different parts of the problem, almost every headset is both inferior and superior to any other headset currently on the market.
But with that comes your ability to pick and choose what best suits your needs, price and experience.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15

Huh didn't know you could actually do that.

That's fair, but Quest + Virtual Desktop is a decent alternative (though not one I'm fond of myself). In my experience, I'm cool with playing HL: Alyx and Boneworks tethered , no sweat off my back as I can always just return to the untethered expereince whenever I want. WMR and the Rift S don't offer nearly the same amount of flexibility which is why I personally couldn't really recommend them, despite the various compromises the Quest makes for such an experience.

Yeah seems like a good way to do it if you got the router for it.

Isn't it just a link cable you need for the Quest to play things like Alyx if you've already got a gaming PC and the cable is pretty cheap?

Yeah, but you tether yourself with the cable. A good cheap way to get in though.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want to play Alyx but I don't want to buy yet another expensive tech gadget with so many components and wires. I feel like my home is becoming too cluttered with all these electronics scattered everywhere and I'm starting to feel gadget-fatigue. I'll just have to wait for official mouse+keyboard patch or unofficial community mod or something like that.

Oct 25, 2017
I want to play Alyx but I don't want to buy yet another expensive tech gadget with so many components and wires. I feel like my home is becoming too cluttered with all these electronics scattered everywhere and I'm starting to feel gadget-fatigue. I'll just have to wait for official mouse+keyboard patch or unofficial community mod or something like that.
I'm still waiting on a 2D patch for mario 64. Sucks but I trust the community!

The game will not be playable on non vr hardware. Period.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
And yet, you post in the Quest thread which is relatively inexpensive (price of a console), has no wires (or a single USB C if preferred), and no superfluous components?

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Sorry if it's already been answered a million times, but I have zero experience with gaming VR in any form and wanted to ask about the Oculus Link. OP says that the Quest isn't as powerful as other headsets but that with the Link you can connect it to a PC. Does this effectively give it more graphical power, sort of like turning a PS4 into a PS4 Pro? I have a 980ti so would definitely be interested in getting the Link if it's giving me more graphical ooomph.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Tell me about it. But all things considered the Index controllers are still limited to Vive or Rift if you can get all the extra hardware for it at which point you might as well just get the whole Index kit.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Does this effectively give it more graphical power, sort of like turning a PS4 into a PS4 Pro? I have a 980ti so would definitely be interested in getting the Link if it's giving me more graphical ooomph.
Basically yeah, as long as your PC can handle it. Oculus Link lets you play PCVR games on your Quest provided you have a VR-compatible rig (you should do if that 980ti is anything to talk about) and are cool with tethered play, with the visual quality being roughly the same as the CV1. With ALVR, you can also play SteamVR and Rift games wirelessly if you have a good local connection.

Last edited:

Tommi

Oct 29, 2017
So umm, which one is better at the moment, the Rift S or the Quest? In Finland (at the time of writing this) they're both priced at 479€. I'm leaning towards the Rift S because of the slightly higher refresh rate, but is that a deal breaker for a first time VR experiencer, I don't know. Hmm.
You should look for Oculus headsets straight on the oculus website. They're normally the cheapest there. As of today there's a 50€ discount too at 399€ for Rift S.

Get Rift S if you don't care about wireless play and have a suitable IPD. It has the better screen and tracking area. Otherwise go for Quest. Afaik there are some caveats to pc play on it with the even lower refresh rate of the controllers for example.